You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404405406407408 735>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:20pm
Kenny's overall record is:

.........P.......W.....D.....L........F.....A

But since the Luxembourg debacle it is:

.........P.......W.....D......L........F.....A

We've played some poor teams, but hopefully this is more representative of things to come.
Sponsored Links

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:25pm
When we were getting poor results this thread was 10 pages extra long every day. Now it's barely a page a day. Could this be the end of the mind numbingly repetitive Kenny is crap v Kenny is good debate? I fugging hope so 
It would damage this forums' reputation
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

When we were getting poor results this thread was 10 pages extra long every day. Now it's barely a page a day. Could this be the end of the mind numbingly repetitive Kenny is crap v Kenny is good debate? I fugging hope so 
Brick hasn’t gone away you know!
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:05pm
Am I right in saying that Kenny's contract runs until July 2022 and the Nations League will be completed by then (2 games March and 4 games June)?

Why are we talking about contracts at all?!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:23pm
no, it ends in Sep 22, his contract is up after 4 of 6 NL games. 2 Friendlies in march 22, 4 NL games in June, contract up in July then 2 more NL games in sep
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Am I right in saying that Kenny's contract runs until July 2022 and the Nations League will be completed by then (2 games March and 4 games June)?

Nation's league is June and September.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:35pm
That Nations League window in June is going to be some slog. 4 matches in 10 days is nuts next June.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

That Nations League window in June is going to be some slog. 4 matches in 10 days is nuts next June.

Could it be a blessing? Gives us a chance to test out the squad whilst playing probable fellow 2nd and 3rd seeds consistently. Not losing many of those games is as important as winning them all for me not to be negative but if your drawing a few of them but not losing them your being competitive and it will augur will for being competitive for Euro 2024 qualification. 

It does sound gruelling tbf and he's going to have to resist playing lads in all 4 even Cullen and Robinson who are bonefide starters. Even Duffy we have the depth to rotate him the other two not so much. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:38am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Could it be a blessing? Gives us a chance to test out the squad whilst playing probable fellow 2nd and 3rd seeds consistently. Not losing many of those games is as important as winning them all for me not to be negative but if your drawing a few of them but not losing them your being competitive and it will augur will for being competitive for Euro 2024 qualification. 

It does sound gruelling tbf and he's going to have to resist playing lads in all 4 even Cullen and Robinson who are bonefide starters. Even Duffy we have the depth to rotate him the other two not so much. 

Absolutely not. With a relatively small squad of players who don't play anywhere near enough for their clubs fatigue and injury will play a big part.

It has hindered us massively since 3 game windows came in and its no coincidence we performed much better over this window with just the 2.

Our 2 worst results came against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg this campaign were both after grueling matches against Portugal and Serbia just 2 days prior.

Players cant recover in that kind of turn around, especially players like Doherty, Hendrick, Idah and so on who play very little between International windows.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

We've played some poor teams, but hopefully this is more representative of things to come.

Dan McDonnell making a valid argument that bringing up results from 2020, instead of focusing on how we've done in 2021, in relation to a potential new contract for Kenny is as valid as bringing up the Macedonia result when discussing Mick qualifying for a WC 4/5 years later.

There has been progression, which is the most important. Games against Portugal shouldn't define whether any Ireland manager should continue in the job. I think we can all agree that there is more to come from both the players and management, but we're in a far better place than last year, so let's see where Kenny takes us.

The NL has taken on a new importance though, given Kenny has said the aim is now to top the group. So results in that absolutely do matter now. Because he's come out and said what the aim for the NL, whether he meant to or just got carried away, he won't be able to dismiss results if things don't go our way.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:10am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Bums in seats is a big one too in fairness. That must be one of the best attendances in years for a friendly 

There was lots of massively discounted tickets via the FAI for this? So I'd be inclined to think the Portugal game will be the one where it proves this theory. I think the game will sell out myself. 
One section looked like a kindergarten with little kids all in red, for some reason.
Was that the group in the lower west stand near the corner with the North stand? Thought it must have been kids from some football club in their club tracksuits. 

Was a schoolboy team I think maybe even shels. 
Everyone in that section were on freebies I think (like myself). player's families and FAI coaches, etc. based on what I could hear around me 

It was Oliver Bond. They came up on the screen after Duffy scored.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:40am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Dan McDonnell making a valid argument that bringing up results from 2020, instead of focusing on how we've done in 2021, in relation to a potential new contract for Kenny is as valid as bringing up the Macedonia result when discussing Mick qualifying for a WC 4/5 years later.

There has been progression, which is the most important. Games against Portugal shouldn't define whether any Ireland manager should continue in the job. I think we can all agree that there is more to come from both the players and management, but we're in a far better place than last year, so let's see where Kenny takes us.

The NL has taken on a new importance though, given Kenny has said the aim is now to top the group. So results in that absolutely do matter now. Because he's come out and said what the aim for the NL, whether he meant to or just got carried away, he won't be able to dismiss results if things don't go our way.

Bar McGoldrick, Kenny is still using the the same pool of players.  Kenny himself may have chosen different players but that was ultimately his decision.

Choosing only 2021 suits Kenny as it's in his favour, as results improved. 

Is that a fair analysis of his tenure by selecting specific date range? I wouldn't think so.

Edited by horsebox - 14 Oct 2021 at 8:40am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

From the Indo this morning:

"Stephen Kenny is in a strong position to extend his stay as Ireland manager but the FAI will not bring forward a decision ahead of the November window.

Back-to-back wins and a sold-out Aviva for Tuesday’s victory over Qatar has strengthened the argument of influential board members who feel that retaining Kenny for the 2024 European Championships is the logical move.

They will still wait until a scheduled review after the concluding games with Portugal and Luxembourg before making a final call, with no temptation to bring forward discussions.

However, it would take a dramatic decline in performance level next month to gain support for the idea of a change in the hot seat.

Kenny’s current deal, which is worth just north of €500,000 per annum, expires next July but the FAI will decide to stick or twist before the end of the year."

Read More

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:18am

Keep your powder dry i always say Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:39am
the star quoting sources in the Fai trying to undermine Kenny again. Who is behind this campaign and what’s their motives.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 10:04am
They won’t make a decision until the end of the qualifiers nor should they.  I am glad the board is acting professionally as opposed to the ad hoc deal making that went before.  I think Kenny now has a strong case for an extension, and will get one, baring disasters.    

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 10:06am
the star saying he might not get a deal until next June !!!!
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 10:10am

Realistically ,  why is Kenny on 500k?

I'm not the knocking the guy  but who else was offering anywhere near that.

If he was offered 250k for the Euros, does anyone think he'd turn it down?

Put in 1 million bonus for qualifying and it makes sense.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404405406407408 735>
  Share Topic