You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 366367368369370 735>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

At this point you have to say that the Kenny out agenda has nothing to do with the ireland football team and looks to just resemble a dislike of him personally.

What makes you say that? I'm sure he's a decent bloke but I'm fairly certain if results on the pitch were better nobody would care if he was an utter prick.

Well for one the point blank refusal to look anywhere outside Kenny being sacked as the answer to the ireland teams many problems. 

I would speculate that if the team won every game the same people would be conspicuously absent to give any credit. I'm just speculating of course.

I would admit that I'm not sure if Kenny is the right person for the job but I'd like to see him get a qualifying period and a fair chance, It's also abundantly clear that even if Kenny is not up to the job, he would be one of many clear problems with the ireland team for the last 5 years at least.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:07pm
I think you're wildly speculating there to be honest. For what it's worth I was in favour of Kenny being appointed and I was hopeful it would be the start of something interesting, different and better. 

I was a bit concerned after the Nations League but every manager needs time to implement their style so I was happy enough to see things progress into the world cup qualifiers. Even then I didn't see us having much chance of top 2 in the group and that wasn't a criteria I was going to be judging Kenny on, being realistic. Third was fine as long as there were signs of progress.

The Luxembourg game was a turning point, both the performance and result were terrible. As a one off you could live with it, but coming after the winless Nations League, the playoff defeat and the England game - there seemed to be a clear pattern of underperformance at that point, with no sign of the promised progress being made. It felt like a long way back from there for him.

The summer wasn't much better being honest, even the Andorra game was a struggle, we got away with it on professional fitness more than anything else, their legs just went in the last half hour. Hungary was a bit better but my main memory of it was a string of Kelleher saves in the second half so still not great.

Portugal was a free shot that almost worked out but didn't. Then came Azerbaijan - if ever a win was needed to undo some of the damage of Luxembourg it was in that game. That we just escaped with a point from a late equaliser was probably the final blow for me, it was a long way back from Luxembourg anyway but that one finished it. Serbia could easily have beaten us 4-0 and we'd have had no complaints.

Anyway, what I'm saying with all that is that my opinion on Kenny is absolutely nothing personal at all, it's purely football based. I wasn't looking for too much to begin with, just third in the group and a sense of respectability and progress. We've been nowhere near to that, meaning that I've long since had to give up on my initial optimism and realise that every game he's in charge for is another game wasted in terms of turning things around.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by DR.HUGO DR.HUGO wrote:

I’m backing him and I think we all should..I will say this however if big Mick was in charge we definitely would have more points.

How many more points, 1? 2? 3?

At the moment we sound like entitled EPL club fans. Because we used to be competitive, we think we have to be all the time or else. If we fall behind, sack the manager. If we continue to fall behind, sack the manager. If we fall a bit further, sack the manager. Then you end up with a load of sacked managers, a load of unused, unwanted footballers, unable to make progress on the pitch, and a load of cash down the drain. 

There are various reasons to explain the attendance figures at the recent home games, the virus being No. 1, rather than Kenny. As to future attendance figures affecting FAI finances, we can play in front of an empty Lansdowne if necessary. We did it for almost 2 years. You would think that having been locked out of Ireland home games all that time, people would be desperate to go back. But if not, that's their choice. The state of the development project is ultimately more important than whether we finish third or not. If people demand a certain amount of results with the quality of players we have, they have a long wait ahead of them. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:31pm

I think you're wildly speculating there to be honest. For what it's worth I was in favour of Kenny being appointed and I was hopeful it would be the start of something interesting, different and better. 

I was a bit concerned after the Nations League but every manager needs time to implement their style so I was happy enough to see things progress into the world cup qualifiers. Even then I didn't see us having much chance of top 2 in the group and that wasn't a criteria I was going to be judging Kenny on, being realistic. Third was fine as long as there were signs of progress.

The Luxembourg game was a turning point, both the performance and result were terrible. As a one off you could live with it, but coming after the winless Nations League, the playoff defeat and the England game - there seemed to be a clear pattern of underperformance at that point, with no sign of the promised progress being made. It felt like a long way back from there for him.

The summer wasn't much better being honest, even the Andorra game was a struggle, we got away with it on professional fitness more than anything else, their legs just went in the last half hour. Hungary was a bit better but my main memory of it was a string of Kelleher saves in the second half so still not great.

Portugal was a free shot that almost worked out but didn't. Then came Azerbaijan - if ever a win was needed to undo some of the damage of Luxembourg it was in that game. That we just escaped with a point from a late equaliser was probably the final blow for me, it was a long way back from Luxembourg anyway but that one finished it. Serbia could easily have beaten us 4-0 and we'd have had no complaints.

Anyway, what I'm saying with all that is that my opinion on Kenny is absolutely nothing personal at all, it's purely football based. I wasn't looking for too much to begin with, just third in the group and a sense of respectability and progress. We've been nowhere near to that, meaning that I've long since had to give up on my initial optimism and realise that every game he's in charge for is another game wasted in terms of turning things around.

You see I agree with all of that, but again you've dropped all of that on the feet of Kenny as the root cause. It's the old adage that if we lose sack the manager, which rarely works out well.

Hypothetically - if mcclean defended slightly better and we got a draw at Portugal and Coleman closed his man down vs Serbia and we came away with three points you'd think differently? 

Could it really be the difference between wanting him to stay and wanting him out? 

I hate the results we've had but I'm seeing some passages of play that I haven't seen in an ireland team for a decade and I think we can expand on that. I remember us beating Gibralter and feeling like it was a lose the game was so bad to watch.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:39pm
I’m probably going to repeat the same talking points in this thread already but I’ll go ahead anyway.

Before a ball was kicked in this group I would have said Ireland should be finishing 3rd. I wasn’t one of these people who thought Luxembourg was a minnow like Gibraltar or Malta but I thought we should be getting at least 4pts against them and Azerbaijan. I think the away performances against Serbia and Portugal were very encouraging despite the results. On way paper our squad is considerably weaker than both of them. However against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg our performances were quite disappointing. Realistically i think a lot of people we’re hoping that we would beat these type of sides while playing a more attractive style of play. O’Neill and McCarthy got narrow wins over Georgia at home with dire football. Luxembourg and Azerbaijan would be of a similar level and the football and results haven’t been that great. We really struggle to create chances against these so called weaker nations no matter if it’s hoofball or a more possession based game. Kenny has blooded a lot of younger players and I doubt this would have happened under a different manager. How many players have only got noticed in their late 20s? I do think Kenny needs to beat Azerbaijan and Luxembourg to keep his job. He does need to show us something outside of morale boosting losses or draws against Portugal and Serbia. A lot of Kenny critics won’t give any praise for his good performances but a lot of Kenny supporters have moved to goal posts in terms of results. Most people were likely expecting home wins against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg. You can’t expect the man to get a new contract without a win in the group.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:41pm

Portugal was a free shot that almost worked out but didn't. Then came Azerbaijan - if ever a win was needed to undo some of the damage of Luxembourg it was in that game. That we just escaped with a point from a late equaliser was probably the final blow for me, it was a long way back from Luxembourg anyway but that one finished it. 

I can see where youre coming from and it's a relatively measured critique so I have no problem with anyone who genuinely believes Kenny's time is up, I dont yet!

I think a few of the things you either omit or dismiss are pretty telling though. Slovakia in his first big game was a pretty good performance no? Browne should have won that for us? 

The Nations League was a write off, no fans, serious player availability issues etc, we still didnt lose any game by more than the odd goal, but it was pretty poor fare I'll grant you that. 

Serbia away wasnt terrible considering you clearly werent expecting much from it? Peno shout at 1 all, but in the end beaten by the odd goal, fair enough. Luxembourg was obviously the real low point and I accept that, but I do think they were somewhat underestimated as I have laid out in detail in several threads (I didnt compare them with Brazil by the way Smile ) It was still a poor result at home and hopefully that represents the nadir!

Andorra was workmanlike, but Hungary was a very good performance against a team in the final stages of prep for the Euros that then managed draws against both France and Germany (or was it Portugal) just 4 weeks later. 

Portugal was a free shot you say - pah, come on out of that, we wuz robbed of a clear peno at 1 nil up and the officiating was atrocious from the first minute, possibly the best Irish away performance of the last 5 years imo. Azerbaijan was indeed disappointing, sucker punch on the stroke of half time as a result of our most senior player not doing the basics, a young team then lost its way in the 2nd half and the manager certainly has to bear some criticism for the shapelessness of that period, but still we managed to snatch a deserved equaliser. You then say - "Serbia could easily have beaten us 4-0 and we'd have had no complaints". FFS how many draws did we eke out against better teams under O'Neill and Mc Carthy that were lauded to the hilt. It was a dogged defensive display and we found an equaliser despite going behind pretty early on, indeed Omabamideadly could have snatched it at the death.

Finally, you say, "I wasn't looking for too much to begin with, just third in the group and a sense of respectability and progress" - That's still possible and imo there have been signs of progress since the summer, get behind the team and try to enjoy the last few games of the campaign. If you're right they'll be the last of his tenure and you can rejoice in the coronation of Chris Hughton as the saviour of Irish football, if youre not, then surely you'll be happy enough?
Idah Dream!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Portugal was a free shot that almost worked out but didn't. Then came Azerbaijan - if ever a win was needed to undo some of the damage of Luxembourg it was in that game. That we just escaped with a point from a late equaliser was probably the final blow for me, it was a long way back from Luxembourg anyway but that one finished it. 

I can see where youre coming from and it's a relatively measured critique so I have no problem with anyone who genuinely believes Kenny's time is up, I dont yet!

I think a few of the things you either omit or dismiss are pretty telling though. Slovakia in his first big game was a pretty good performance no? Browne should have won that for us? 

The Nations League was a write off, no fans, serious player availability issues etc, we still didnt lose any game by more than the odd goal, but it was pretty poor fare I'll grant you that. 

Serbia away wasnt terrible considering you clearly werent expecting much from it? Peno shout at 1 all, but in the end beaten by the odd goal, fair enough. Luxembourg was obviously the real low point and I accept that, but I do think they were somewhat underestimated as I have laid out in detail in several threads (I didnt compare them with Brazil by the way Smile ) It was still a poor result at home and hopefully that represents the nadir!

Andorra was workmanlike, but Hungary was a very good performance against a team in the final stages of prep for the Euros that then managed draws against both France and Germany (or was it Portugal) just 4 weeks later. 

Portugal was a free shot you say - pah, come on out of that, we wuz robbed of a clear peno at 1 nil up and the officiating was atrocious from the first minute, possibly the best Irish away performance of the last 5 years imo. Azerbaijan was indeed disappointing, sucker punch on the stroke of half time as a result of our most senior player not doing the basics, a young team then lost its way in the 2nd half and the manager certainly has to bear some criticism for the shapelessness of that period, but still we managed to snatch a deserved equaliser. You then say - "Serbia could easily have beaten us 4-0 and we'd have had no complaints". FFS how many draws did we eke out against better teams under O'Neill and Mc Carthy that were lauded to the hilt. It was a dogged defensive display and we found an equaliser despite going behind pretty early on, indeed Omabamideadly could have snatched it at the death.

Finally, you say, "I wasn't looking for too much to begin with, just third in the group and a sense of respectability and progress" - That's still possible and imo there have been signs of progress since the summer, get behind the team and try to enjoy the last few games of the campaign. If you're right they'll be the last of his tenure and you can rejoice in the coronation of Chris Hughton as the saviour of Irish football, if youre not, then surely you'll be happy enough?
Some amount of ifs and buts and excuses in that post.
Sure you might aswell say what if James McClean scored his chance in the playoff vs Denmark we would have made the World Cup and Kenny might not be here today.
It’s all speculation the reality the clock is ticking Kenny needs a win or two to save his job to be fair he should get 1 win at least  
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Some amount of ifs and buts and excuses in that post.
Sure you might aswell say what if James McClean scored his chance in the playoff vs Denmark we would have made the World Cup and Kenny might not be here today.
It’s all speculation the reality the clock is ticking Kenny needs a win or two to save his job to be fair he should get 1 win at least  

Indeed and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle! I've already said that he probably needs 4 points minimum to buy him until the end of his contract and 5+ if he wants a new contract for Euro 24, so no argument from me on that score. I do however fervently hope that he gets at least 6, because ripping it all up and starting over again wont benefit anyone, least of all the players.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:11am
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

I’m probably going to repeat the same talking points in this thread already but I’ll go ahead anyway.

Before a ball was kicked in this group I would have said Ireland should be finishing 3rd. I wasn’t one of these people who thought Luxembourg was a minnow like Gibraltar or Malta but I thought we should be getting at least 4pts against them and Azerbaijan. I think the away performances against Serbia and Portugal were very encouraging despite the results. On way paper our squad is considerably weaker than both of them. However against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg our performances were quite disappointing. Realistically i think a lot of people we’re hoping that we would beat these type of sides while playing a more attractive style of play. O’Neill and McCarthy got narrow wins over Georgia at home with dire football. Luxembourg and Azerbaijan would be of a similar level and the football and results haven’t been that great. We really struggle to create chances against these so called weaker nations no matter if it’s hoofball or a more possession based game. Kenny has blooded a lot of younger players and I doubt this would have happened under a different manager. How many players have only got noticed in their late 20s? I do think Kenny needs to beat Azerbaijan and Luxembourg to keep his job. He does need to show us something outside of morale boosting losses or draws against Portugal and Serbia. A lot of Kenny critics won’t give any praise for his good performances but a lot of Kenny supporters have moved to goal posts in terms of results. Most people were likely expecting home wins against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg. You can’t expect the man to get a new contract without a win in the group.

Fully agree with this, fair and balanced appraisal!
Idah Dream!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:14am

Leave the fair and balanced crap to the courts.  We want rash sweeping posts here that gets the clicks baby.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Leave the fair and balanced crap to the courts.  We want rash sweeping posts here that gets the clicks baby.

F**k it, give him the new contract up to WC 2026 now! I want to go to the US of A and Kenny's the man to steer the ship!
Idah Dream!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:23am
That's better!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 12:38am
For the lads going on about Azer and Lux world rankings, Scotland are miles ahead of us but incredibly only 5 places ahead of us in the rankings.

Scotland, who lost in Denmark before beating Moldova and Austria, rise four places to 45th.

Northern Ireland are also up four spots, wins over Lithuania and Estonia and a draw with Switzerland lifting them to 47th.

The Republic of Ireland have fallen from 47th to 50th after defeat by Portugal and draws with Azerbaijan and Serbia.

Idah Dream!
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 9:43am

For the lads going on about Azer and Lux world rankings, Scotland are miles ahead of us but incredibly only 5 places ahead of us in the rankings.

Scotland, who lost in Denmark before beating Moldova and Austria, rise four places to 45th.

Northern Ireland are also up four spots, wins over Lithuania and Estonia and a draw with Switzerland lifting them to 47th.

The Republic of Ireland have fallen from 47th to 50th after defeat by Portugal and draws with Azerbaijan and Serbia.

Our ranking of 50 is based on accumulated points prior to last year. 

Edited by B6 6HE - 17 Sep 2021 at 9:43am
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 10:02pm
Another 'If my aunt had balls..' post alert!

If I thought we didn't deserve anything out of the group games to date, I'd be calling for a change too, but based on performances, I feel we deserved a point away to Serbia and Portugal, a point home to Lux and 3 points v Azerbaijan but zero from the game at home to Serbia.

Obviously this would have us in a far better position but I get the impression, from some on here, that it still wouldn't have been enough for Kenny.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Another 'If my aunt had balls..' post alert!

If I thought we didn't deserve anything out of the group games to date, I'd be calling for a change too, but based on performances, I feel we deserved a point away to Serbia and Portugal, a point home to Lux and 3 points v Azerbaijan but zero from the game at home to Serbia.

Obviously this would have us in a far better position but I get the impression, from some on here, that it still wouldn't have been enough for Kenny.

Your uncle could identify as your aunt and by extension have female balls.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 11:57pm

We've won 10 games in 5 years. Our last home competitive win was 2+ years ago. On what basis were people "expecting home wins against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg"? I said before the Azerbaijan game that we should not expect to win it, and we didn't. I don't expect to win in Baku or Luxembourg either, and it's not the end of the world if we don't. You cannot expect any team to win a game with the record we have, and the players we have. Maybe if we had a hoofball head, we would have beaten them 1-0 with a bunch of 30 year olds out there. Watching paint dry would be better. That's not progress, it's a band aid job. And as for finishing third in the group, that achieves absolutely nothing. We've done that before, it's nothing new and it's not progress. 

10 players have been brought through in the past 18 months, and are being developed now for 24 and 26. If the price of success then is 1 point at home to Azerbaijan and Luxembourg now, it will be worth the hassle. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

An unbiased guide to success/failure is FIFA rankings . . . and it's a fallacy that no other manager would have introduced young players. Restructure or not - we should beat Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. The bar has been lowered to such a ridiculous level - apparently we should reward the worst manager in Irish football history with more campaigns, some say until 2026.

The same few posters keep repeating this..but why?
This is an arguement based on feelings, not facts.

If I ignore all the facts and think of Ireland as a decent 2nd-tier footballing nation of old, then I just feel we should be beating teams with long names or who are places I can't find on a map.
This just feels right...sure haven't we always (in my lifetime) done this?
How can anyone now be saying we should not expect to beat these far-flung or tiny nations?!

Then the facts brigade show up spouting all manner of basic realities that show no, indeed, we have no right to think we should be beating those nations based on any reliable metric.
They show how we haven't beaten anyone of note in years, how our performances have been drifting the wrong way for a decade or more, how our players have fallen drastically from the ivory towers of top-tier club football, how our coaching structure has been laid waste for two decades...

These are the facts.
They don't taste good.
But denying them will get us nowhere as we first have to face the music and fix the issues to get back to a place where, yes, losing at home to a micro-country and a CCCP backwater are unacceptable.

Edited by Fozz - 18 Sep 2021 at 11:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 366367368369370 735>
  Share Topic