You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 364365366367368 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:45pm
Also, I did a bit of research just for all the lads who think we should be beating Luxembourg home and away, just because you know, history and all that. Their 3 key players are Seb Thill (27yo MF 38 caps - 3 goals)  who played 90 mins for Sheriff Tiraspol in their CL Group Stage victory over Shakhtar yesterday, Christopher Martins (24yo MF 46 caps- 1 goal) who played very well (I watched the game) in Young Boys 2-1 CL victory over Man United on Tuesday and Gerson Rodrigues (26yo MF/FW - 38 caps - 8 goals) who scored 7 in 38 (inc 2 in CL) for a Dinamo Kiev side who won the domestic double last season. He is now on loan at Troyes in Ligue Un.

Their keeper (42 caps) plays in the top flight in Belgium (as does our own Josh Cullen), while they have others playing in the top flights in Germany, Holland, Austria, the Ukraine (including Thill's younger brother) and one in the English Championship (squad player at Huddersfield)

I dont know whether its football snobbery or whether lads dont think football exists outside of England, but there's no reason on paper why we should automatically be beating such a team. Their players have a solid core of experience with 2 or 3 top quality players (arguably at a higher level than ours), while we have a very young team made up of a hotchpotch of PL squad players, and lads playing in the Championship, SPL and League One. Their FA has also been instrumental in putting together youth development programmes etc while our own has gone bust.

This is not an attempt to make excuses for Kenny but some lads need a serious injection of realism as regards where our squad is at currently - the rest of Europe e.g. Iceland, Luxembourg etc have been quietly progressing for quite some time, while we have been going backwards. It's time to arrest that slide and imo an old school pragmatic manager such as Hughton just isnt going to cut it any more. We might as well just have stuck with Mc Carthy if thats where we are going next.

Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

also I think putting an expectation of 3rd place on Kenny at this moment in time is harsh, its out of our hands almost.

Agree that 3rd should have been the aim pre qualifying but not now. We can beat Lux and Azer and still finish behind Lux

Quote nobody else is going to support an Ireland team that cant win a competitive match

a nation of glory hunters!

Yes we are.

Sure look at rugby, nobody would shut up about it when they were going well now nobody talks about it.

For the most part, we are a nation of event junkies, flocking to the next 'popular' thing.

Unfortunately for the FAI, this event junkie market is huge and they will need to get those arses in seats to have a healthier financial outlook.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I think whatever the score is with Azerbaijan the gate we have at home to Qatar will tell it's own story .
The same way that the attendances at that Carling nations yoke when Trap was in charge told a story?
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

So we need to sack Kenny to appease the barstoolers?

No. Ticket sale prospects are one of a number of considerations that the FAI will have when making their decision, whatever way it goes.

People on this forum are going to be buying season tickets regardless of who is in charge, but there is a large market of event junkies which flock to the sport du jour in Ireland.

Nobody has tried to make out that it will be the deciding factor but obviously it will be spoken about in the FAI.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

No. Ticket sale prospects are one of a number of considerations that the FAI will have when making their decision, whatever way it goes.

People on this forum are going to be buying season tickets regardless of who is in charge, but there is a large market of event junkies which flock to the sport du jour in Ireland.

Nobody has tried to make out that it will be the deciding factor but obviously it will be spoken about in the FAI.

we have always had this though, with the exception of the big games, Denmark 2019, Playoffs and Germany for example, our average attendance has been roughly the low 30s k with some games against reasonable opposition even lower at times.

Edited by Sham157 - 16 Sep 2021 at 2:14pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

I think whatever the score is with Azerbaijan the gate we have at home to Qatar will tell it's own story .
The same way that the attendances at that Carling nations yoke when Trap was in charge told a story?

Was it something like 520 the Wales v N Ireland game ?

And again without looking them up the 16 home games we played vs Oman were they in the high teens ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Is being 'competitive' in games enough to attract the event junkies? You've also got to play some decent football too right? I don't think the football we served up in the Denmark, Georgia or even Gibraltar games fits the bill.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It has already been reported that the Qatar attendance will have a bearing on the decision, if it is poor it will suggest that the wider support needed to fill the stadium is not behind him which will have financial implications for the FAI - potentially they will not be able to afford to not sack him.

The attendance at the Portugal game is irrelevant, everyone knows we can sell out for Portugal because of who will likely be playing for the opposition - a sell out there would have nothing to do with Kenny other than the crowd might make their voices heard if it goes particularly badly.

Reported where?

The game is on a Tuesday night - which will be extremely difficult for people out side the Dublin area to attend.

It also me be considered that, nearly every amateur football club in the country trains Tuesday and Thursday.

It’s absolute garbage. Sure we had about 10,000 at that Greece game after Euro 2012 when we got that UEFA award for being great fans.

Hardly anyone except the hardcore go to these friendlies. It’s been that way for years.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:59pm
also the practice of the previous regime of handing out thousands of free tickets for home games seriously inflated attendances for years.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:14pm
21,285 at the Azerbaijan game (25,000 capacity) despite being 0 from 3 in the Group and effectively eliminated. Closer to the full 25,000 at the Serbia game I believe, although i cant find the official figure. Given the ongoing pandemic and our position in the Group, they seem like pretty healthy attendances to me. It seems to me that 75/80% of fans are still rooting for Kenny to turn things around, I count myself among them, recent polls on here and foot.ie appear to back that up.

The attendance vs Qatar will be crap, but that was always going to be the case. I wouldnt cross the road to lend any support to FIFA's shenanigans regarding WC 2022.
Idah Dream!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

also the practice of the previous regime of handing out thousands of free tickets for home games seriously inflated attendances for years.
and still didnt fill the place bar those games i alluded to.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:17pm

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Was it something like 520 the Wales v N Ireland game ?

And again without looking them up the 16 home games we played vs Oman were they in the high teens ?
Not sure what the Taffs vs the 6 was but thats not relevant. Fact is we have for decades now struggled to fill LR with the exception of the biggest games and/or biggest teams. The manager is irrelevant.

Id have every confidence that we will attract similar crowds as previously when ‘normal’ returns, minus maybe all the freebies that JD handed out as mentioned by Gufct, which were a significant amount by the way.

Edited by Sham157 - 16 Sep 2021 at 3:18pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:19pm

Yeah, that was crazy. Reached a point where my kid's team were getting "as many free tickets as you need" and we still couldn't get rid of them. LOL 

That really was septic stuff in the last days of MON's reign. You were a worse person from having to endure 90 minutes of that.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:27pm
there was free tickets given away for every game including the vital ones . For the game against Georgia they were being given out in Eyre Square ffs.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Yeah, that was crazy. Reached a point where my kid's team were getting "as many free tickets as you need" and we still couldn't get rid of them. LOL 

That really was septic stuff in the last days of MON's reign. You were a worse person from having to endure 90 minutes of that.

It was awful. .....We drew home and away to Denmark

Now we are getting within a goal of Luxembourg and taking a point off Azerbaijan. 

Get in!!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:55pm
The FAI must realise what thin Ice they're on.

One thing the new FA I don't want is to be compared to the old FAI in anyway. If they do decide to get rid of Kenny they better make sure that he's a complete and utter dead duck. Any move to revert back to a more pragmatic approach would have to 100-percent guarantee qualification for Euros.

The idea that Ireland would put in performances like they did at the end of O'Neil's reign and Mick McCarthy 2.0 with no success, should scare the living piss out of the FAI.

There's a lot of politics involved in decisions that are currently being made in Irish football at the moment. I'll hazard a guess and say the vast majority of people do not want Chris hughton or his type taking over from Stephen Kenny. I think the fai are well aware of this. And they're also well aware of the ramifications of moving ahead with an appointment in this vein and the consequences of more.failure in a well trodden path.

counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:10pm

One thing the new FA I don't want is to be compared to the old FAI in anyway. If they do decide to get rid of Kenny they better make sure that he's a complete and utter dead duck. Any move to revert back to a more pragmatic approach would have to 100-percent guarantee qualification for Euros.

The idea that Ireland would put in performances like they did at the end of O'Neil's reign and Mick McCarthy 2.0 with no success, should scare the living piss out of the FAI.

There's a lot of politics involved in decisions that are currently being made in Irish football at the moment. I'll hazard a guess and say the vast majority of people do not want Chris hughton or his type taking over from Stephen Kenny. I think the fai are well aware of this. And they're also well aware of the ramifications of moving ahead with an appointment in this vein and the consequences of more.failure in a well trodden path.
Clap

The support on here and online is split almost 50/50 and in the stadium I would estimate it 75%+ supporting Kenny. If the FAI have any sense, they'll listen to those who are putting money in their pockets.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

Clap

The support on here and online is split almost 50/50 and in the stadium I would estimate it 75%+ supporting Kenny. If the FAI have any sense, they'll listen to those who are putting money in their pockets.

Most of our ex players and legends aren't behind him

Are they barstoolers too?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 364365366367368 735>
  Share Topic