You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 362363364365366 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

What fckin difference does it make? Luxembourg are better than us.

They're not.

We should be beating Luxembourg. 
They are. They beat us and Azerbaijan.

Face reality.

Our results under Kenny are below the base standard that you'd expect our admittedly limited squad

Drew with Georgia, beat Gibraltar 1-0 under the previous regime. Is that the standard?

Took 10 points from Georgia and and Gibraltar in 4 games.

Lost only 1 game in 8.

Drew home and away against a European semi finalist

Was Mick 2.0 really that bad?

Our results under Kenny are below the base standard that you'd expect our admittedly limited squad

Edited by B6 6HE - 15 Sep 2021 at 10:39pm
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:39pm

They're not.

Face reality.

On paper they're nowhere near. Matt Doherty was sold a year ago for about the same amount as their entire squad is worth. This constant talking us down to suit a certain narrative needs to stop. We are a far better side than performances in the last 12 months suggest.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

They're not.

Face reality.

On paper they're nowhere near. Matt Doherty was sold a year ago for about the same amount as their entire squad is worth. This constant talking us down to suit a certain narrative needs to stop. We are a far better side than performances in the last 12 months suggest.
Football isn’t played on paper.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:41pm

They're not.

Face reality.

You stated that Luxembourg are better than us. We beg to differ. On paper, they are demonstrably weaker.

The fact they have overtaken us shows how disastrous this manager has been.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:44pm
Anyway, fckin Groundhog Day on here. Made the mistake of wandering into this thread. Usually don’t post on this section. How 3 or 4 posters can post so often to say in different ways that they don’t like Kenny is bizarre.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:45pm

They're not.

Face reality.

You stated that Luxembourg are better than us. We beg to differ. On paper, they are demonstrably weaker.

The fact they have overtaken us shows how disastrous this manager has been.

You win. I’m done. Kenny out.

As You Were
Three in a row
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Who's paying you ? Robbie Keane Smile He has the money!

Kenny has to beat Lux and Azer to continue in the job.   This organisation does not tolerate failure number 1.

A View to a Bond Baddie: Ernst Stavro Blofeld | the m0vie blog

TP you are always one of the first to turn on any manager if I remember correctly. Is there not a time to try give a manager a bit more time before writing them completely off. Chopping and changing has not really bringing us forward either. We have been finishing 3rd or 4th since 2004 campaign, that's 75% 
The second place in 2016 was a bit flukey too. 

For me, 3rd place is an acceptable return from this group.
4th is not great as we finished below our seeding but as a first campaign its ok but obviously it can't go on like that.
5th would be a disaster and question to be asked as results will have gone terrible in last few games but would also depend on the performances 

I wouldn't say I am but I was never in favour of MON's appointment as at the time the call from alll the pundits and many fans  was that we played an outdated form of football and we should go in a new modern direction.  Then when MON/Keane were appointed I wasn't pleased as MON was not going to play a good brand of football.  We were signing up for more of the same if not worse football.  So I never turned on him, I just never liked his appointment.

Mick I was pleased got another crack at it because I liked his first spell in charge after a shaky start.  I liked Mick in his first spell.  He was young, blooded many young players and played good exciting football from 1998 on certainly.  But I could see after a few games this was not the same cavalier Mick but an old conservative, Mick, a MON 2.0.  I thought and still think we can get similar respectable results playing better style of football.  Still like Mick as a person.

Kenny I was all for his appointment.  He had Dundalk punching above their weight in Europe and played good football although it didnt quite get the results in the Europa League.  I thought giving him better players that he could maybe have Ireland playing a good modern attractive style while still getting the results Mick got.  In had my reservations that the players wouldn;t respect him or that he was now stepping up to much higher level but felt he deserved a crack at it.  I was fully on board until around the time of the England game.  We played awful in that and showed very little fight against a big rival (for us).  The fact that McGoldrick packed it in didn't fill me with confidence.  Duff and Kelly leaving also was a bit of a red flag for me.  Duff let him down badly for whatever reason.  I certainly dont buy this Duff couldn't work for the FAI spiel and the video story. 

Anyway since England performances have slipped while results have continued to deteriorate.  I was willing to overlook a  few iffy results early doors but as this continued and especially against minnows alarm bells were ringing loud and clear for me that he is not up to it at this level.  I don't care what sort of rebuild is going on not being able to turn over two piss poor sides at home is unacceptable.   I think his use of substitutions is very poor and doesn't seem very good at changing the tactics mid game when things are going tits up.  1 win in 16 games is frankly pathetic.  We have played some poor and very poor sides in these games too.  Bulgaria, Qatar, Luxembourg, Andorra, Azerbaijan, Finland...etc. 

I think he is full of excuses in every interview.  ''We deserved more, I can't believe we lost the game...''  IMO Kenny is simply not able to get results.

I think he has some good ideas but just isn't up to this level.  The next manager will benefit from some of the good things he has done like blooding youngsters so give him credit there.   If he doesn't finish 3rd in this group he should be sacked.  I actually hope he turns it around and proves me wrong. I don't care about losing face on here and would be delighted to have an Irishman and a LOI man in charge of a good attacking entertaining international team.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:46pm
LOLLOL the state of this thread 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 11:11pm

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Who's paying you ? Robbie Keane Smile He has the money!

Kenny has to beat Lux and Azer to continue in the job.   This organisation does not tolerate failure number 1.

A View to a Bond Baddie: Ernst Stavro Blofeld | the m0vie blog

TP you are always one of the first to turn on any manager if I remember correctly. Is there not a time to try give a manager a bit more time before writing them completely off. Chopping and changing has not really bringing us forward either. We have been finishing 3rd or 4th since 2004 campaign, that's 75% 
The second place in 2016 was a bit flukey too. 

For me, 3rd place is an acceptable return from this group.
4th is not great as we finished below our seeding but as a first campaign its ok but obviously it can't go on like that.
5th would be a disaster and question to be asked as results will have gone terrible in last few games but would also depend on the performances 

I wouldn't say I am but I was never in favour of MON's appointment as at the time the call from alll the pundits and many fans  was that we played an outdated form of football and we should go in a new modern direction.  Then when MON/Keane were appointed I wasn't pleased as MON was not going to play a good brand of football.  We were signing up for more of the same if not worse football.  So I never turned on him, I just never liked his appointment.

Mick I was pleased got another crack at it because I liked his first spell in charge after a shaky start.  I liked Mick in his first spell.  He was young, blooded many young players and played good exciting football from 1998 on certainly.  But I could see after a few games this was not the same cavalier Mick but an old conservative, Mick, a MON 2.0.  I thought and still think we can get similar respectable results playing better style of football.  Still like Mick as a person.

Kenny I was all for his appointment.  He had Dundalk punching above their weight in Europe and played good football although it didnt quite get the results in the Europa League.  I thought giving him better players that he could maybe have Ireland playing a good modern attractive style while still getting the results Mick got.  In had my reservations that the players wouldn;t respect him or that he was now stepping up to much higher level but felt he deserved a crack at it.  I was fully on board until around the time of the England game.  We played awful in that and showed very little fight against a big rival (for us).  The fact that McGoldrick packed it in didn't fill me with confidence.  Duff and Kelly leaving also was a bit of a red flag for me.  Duff let him down badly for whatever reason.  I certainly dont buy this Duff couldn't work for the FAI spiel and the video story. 

Anyway since England performances have slipped while results have continued to deteriorate.  I was willing to overlook a  few iffy results early doors but as this continued and especially against minnows alarm bells were ringing loud and clear for me that he is not up to it at this level.  I don't care what sort of rebuild is going on not being able to turn over two piss poor sides at home is unacceptable.   I think his use of substitutions is very poor and doesn't seem very good at changing the tactics mid game when things are going tits up.  1 win in 16 games is frankly pathetic.  We have played some poor and very poor sides in these games too.  Bulgaria, Qatar, Luxembourg, Andorra, Azerbaijan, Finland...etc. 

I think he is full of excuses in every interview.  ''We deserved more, I can't believe we lost the game...''  IMO Kenny is simply not able to get results.

I think he has some good ideas but just isn't up to this level.  The next manager will benefit from some of the good things he has done like blooding youngsters so give him credit there.   If he doesn't finish 3rd in this group he should be sacked.  I actually hope he turns it around and proves me wrong. I don't care about losing face on here and would be delighted to have an Irishman and a LOI man in charge of a good attacking entertaining international team.

I agree with most of that, good response. I have reservations too about certain things especially his motivation ability (I did hear from one ex player off record that it is not a lot to be desired) so not sure if he is the man to lead the team but I think as a package with coaching staff too that it has potential and I just feel changing manager again and starting again is not a sure thing and there are some signs in there that it could come together and I would tend to put my eggs in that basket and hope and pray it comes off versus trying something else out and hoping that comes off instead.

Last few games are of utmost importance 

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:55am

On paper they're nowhere near. Matt Doherty was sold a year ago for about the same amount as their entire squad is worth. This constant talking us down to suit a certain narrative needs to stop. 

You've made it a work of art since you registered. I doubt you're going to stop, so why would anyone else?

A European Cup standard player, beat us at Lansdowne. Our only European Cup squad player is considered inferior to the Portsmouth No. 1 atm. So the goals are flying in, only at the wrong end, as our own Championship level  strike force are as lethal at this level as a paper spoon.

Boasting about beating Gibraltar is about as relevant as boasting about beating Andorra. We have won 10 games in 5 years. As far as results are concerned, we are exactly where we should be. 
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 5:12am
To the forum members who would be happy to see the back on Kenny - football is entertainment, it's show business.
The football was so bad under MON people stopped watching.
Wasn't much better under McCarthy.
Now under Kenny more people want to see the team play. They will buy tickets to the Aviva.
We might not qualify for as many tournaments as we have in the past, in fact no way will we, so that money is not going to be coming in.
But we wouldn't qualify with MON or McCarthy or another "pragmatic" manager either. We just don't have the attacking players. 3/4 of the team was very decent against Serbia, but McGrath and Browne were not up to it, and I'm not sure yet about Idah. They're not up to the sort of counter-attacking football Kenny seems to favour.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

To the forum members who would be happy to see the back on Kenny - football is entertainment, it's show business.
Now under Kenny more people want to see the team play. They will buy tickets to the Aviva.
We might not qualify for as many tournaments as we have in the past, in fact no way will we, so that money is not going to be coming in.
But we wouldn't qualify with MON or McCarthy or another "pragmatic" manager either. We just don't have the attacking players. 3/4 of the team was very decent against Serbia, but McGrath and Browne were not up to it, and I'm not sure yet about Idah. They're not up to the sort of counter-attacking football Kenny seems to favour.

The system is right but the players are wrong?

The ever moving goalposts 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:41am
No goalposts moving. In previous managers, nearly everyone was going about how sh*te we are to watch. The amount of horrible games. The stadiums have been emptying out long before Kenny arrived. 

The two games back so far with fans, despite the disappointment of result against Az, we got our money's worth. We went home smiling against Serbia. 

Give me this style of play while trying to win matches with a limited squad over going mote direct over and over while trying to win matches with a limited squad every day of the week
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:54am
In previous games, we've always played well in the 1st game and kinda struggled to match that level of performance in the next game (Serbia then Luxembourg - Portugal then Azerbaijan). 

The next fixture will be Azerbaijan away - so if we can repeat what we did before - we should beat these - and probably under perform a little against Portugal. 

The same for the Luxembourg game too.

So hopefully we can get at least 6 points - the other key game will be Azerbaijan v Luxembourg - where if Azerbaijan get any result - it should allow Ireland to finish 3rd on a whopping 8 points.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:54am

The people on here will go regardless but nobody else is going to support an Ireland team that cant win a competitive match. Ticket sales are going to he the opposite of what you think.

And we certainly would have a good chance of qualifying for Euro 2024 if we had a good manager like Hughton in.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:13am

Recent evidence suggests otherwise - we didn't sell out the Azerbaijan game despite the ground being restricted to half capacity.

If the team start winning games, that will fill the stadium - you only have to look at the Charlton era to see that. The football was one dimensional but the ground was packed. Playing pretty football and not winning will only empty the place further.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:23am

Football is a sport first and foremost if you want go see the beautiful game then international football isn’t for you.

The most important thing is to be competitive and try and win the game.
You set your team out to best  suit what your team is good at and you adapt from there.

We struggle to score so any rightminded manager
Would firstly make us hard to score against.

Since Kenny has come in wee have become worse at the back and most likely we need to score twice to win a game.

And obviously from the fact we have only won one game in this period we clearly aren’t able to do this.

So unless he can get us scoring more which he looks like he can’t he needs to go look at how he sets us up
At the back in order to start picking up wins.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:51am
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

The people on here will go regardless but nobody else is going to support an Ireland team that cant win a competitive match. Ticket sales are going to he the opposite of what you think.

And we certainly would have a good chance of qualifying for Euro 2024 if we had a good manager like Hughton in.
Christ on a bike. Says it all really. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 362363364365366 735>
  Share Topic