Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 360361362363364 737>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Hi Stephen.

Kenny still doesn't know his best team or formation.  What player has improved their performance under Kenny?  Don't say Bazunu now.  Name players who underperformed in the past  and now are up to their best because of Kenny.

Kenny has blooded many young players and that will benefit us in the future.  That is is the only positive I can take from his time in charge so far.  The football we played under him has regressed in terms of passing.  Up to the England game there were good signs of nice football.  From England onwards its been Mick 2.0 football with a tiny bit more passing from the keeper tot he back 4.

Kenny is on very very thin ice.  I'd give him til the end of the campaign but if he doesn;t beaut Luxembourg or Azerbaijan he should be sacked.

I'll bite on this one - Doherty certainly, Duffy, Hendrick, Cullen, Idah - Thats 5 plus he's introduced Omabamidele and Mc Grath. I'm struggling to name any player whose level of performance has disimproved under Kenny - that probably says a lot about the state of the squad he took over!

Cullen played 1 game under under Mick!  Idah never played for Mick!  How can you say Kenny has improved their level of performance!

Duffy was our main goalscorer for the WC 2018 campaign.  How is he playing better under Kenny?
Hendrick plays well once every 10 games.  Has he improved under Kenny?  I don't think so.
Doherty?  Jury still out on that one.

Idah's performance has improved since his debut i.e. under Kenny
Doherty's has certainly improved - Irish MotM for me vs Portugal and very good vs Serbia
Hendrick has put in 2 very good back to back performances, first time he's done that for a long time.
Duffy is playing better football than he ever has in an Irish shirt imo - He scored vs Azerbaijan so he hasnt lost that ability under Kenny
Cullen's performances have improved steadily under Kenny - he is growing into the role.

You can be as negative as you like, but imo performances are improving, the results may still be lagging behind but hopefully (and essentially for Kenny) they will come over the next 3 competitive games. If you didnt see any level of improvement in performance levels (NOT RESULTS) over the last 3 games, then I really dont know what games you were watching.
[/QUOTE]

Serbia performance was poor!  Azerbaijan was poor! Does Stephen pay you to post propaganda here?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:03pm
Who's paying you ? Robbie Keane Smile He has the money!
Idah Dream!
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm
Houghton is a great bloke but would he deliver an improvement? I don’t think so honestly 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Taking into account that Forest are a basket case club these days, he can be forgiven for their current situation in my view.

excuses are ok now because it's a "basket case club" - what would you call the FAI over the past 20 years? 

Not even remotely comparable.

How exactly is Forests owner interfering with team selection, making deals with dodgy agents to carry out their transfer business, or signing players of their own accord even remotely, on even the slightest scale comparable to the FAI?

When has the FAI interfered with team selection exactly? And quite obviously they can't interfere with transfers.

you're right, they're not remotely comparable - one is a bad business, one is a disgraceful mismanagement of public funds - the FAI are far, far worse! 

if you can't figure out the connection between the FAI and the availability/existence or not of talented players then I can't help you.. and neither can Chris Hughton.. 

What is your point exactly? Was it not to intimate that the current situation at the FAI is an excuse for Kenny, if the situation behind the scenes at Forest is an excuse for Hughton?

Which I have pointed out are completely different?

And if we have 'not so talented players' then a proven manager with a track record of getting the most AND achieving success with 'not so talented players' would surely be a better bet than a manager with a CV that pales in comparison?

my point was that the poster who was making excuses for Hughton makes no such excuse for a manager in a comparable situation.... you were not that poster, but go off queen! 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm

Who's paying you ? Robbie Keane Smile He has the money!

Kenny has to beat Lux and Azer to continue in the job.   This organisation does not tolerate failure number 1.

A View to a Bond Baddie: Ernst Stavro Blofeld | the m0vie blog

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:14pm
3 pts or less from the 3 games, he's probably gone
4 Pts - Will depend on the performances
5 Pts - Should be enough to give him the first 4 NL games at a minimum i.e. to the end of his contract and then re-assess
6 Pts plus - I'd give him the shiny new contract for the Euro 24 campaign

Hope  he gets the 6+ because the mooted alternatives dont inspire me, leaving aside the FAI's capacity to finance them. A bit of continuity would be good and benefit the younger players imo, but I accept he needs results over the next 3 competitive games. I'm hopeful the Portugal performance can be replicated regularly in time.
Idah Dream!
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:20pm

my point was that the poster who was making excuses for Hughton makes no such excuse for a manager in a comparable situation.... you were not that poster, but go off queen! 

Yes, not remotely comparible.

"But Karanka started to feel under pressure from Vrentzos to pick certain players. Key figures have told The Athletic that Karanka felt there was interference from above on team selection and that he worked for months in the belief that, if he did not do as they wanted, his job was increasingly in danger."

"Forest’s hierarchy wanted Appiah to be involved with the first-team squad because the club intended to sell the player and thought it would bump up his valuation."

"Vrentzos had a habit of turning up to watch training after bad results, creating more pressure simply because of his presence."

"One of his (O'Neill) grievances was said to be leaving out goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon to suit the club. Pantilimon, it is understood, had a clause in his contract that would have meant Forest owing money to his previous club, Watford, after a certain number of appearances."

"As Marinakis subsequently made clear in a Zoom call with the first-team squad, what happened that night was a humiliation. Forest lost 4-1 and Stoke’s officials were bemused to see Vrentzos make his way to the front of the stand in the final minutes to shout at the home dugout that they needed to score."

"At times of Lamouchi’s tenure, the players had started to suspect he was often following orders, rather than having the power to do everything his own way. Throughout his time at the club, signings had been made without them necessarily being his targets."

"Three days into the new season, Marinakis then arranged the Zoom call in which he laid into the players for their end-of-season slump, their habit of losing to Barnsley  and for letting him down as the owner."

"Although Forest say it is always the manager who decides which players go into the bomb squad (a selection of outcasts banished from first team), some of Lamouchi’s colleagues had the clear impression the Frenchman was uneasy about this part of the club.“There are some players, I’ve never seen them,” Lamouchi said in one interview last season. “I don’t know these players. I asked the club but these players never make one session with me.”

Yeah definitely lad, the situation at Forest and Ireland is identical.  LOL

Anybody writing Hughton off over his time at Forest would want to have a word with themselves. He made a huge mistake taking the job and luckily for us that mistake might be to our advantage.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:25pm

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephens-win-ratio-as-ireland-manager-is-at-625pc-the-lowest-next-to-that-i-can-remember-was-35pc-40853623.html

Ray Houghton publicly criticises Kenny's performance as manager.

Edited by You Tell Me - 15 Sep 2021 at 3:39pm
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:31pm

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephens-win-ratio-as-ireland-manager-is-at-625pc-the-lowest-next-to-that-i-can-remember-was-35pc-40853623.html

Cue the ex-footballers are idiots comments to follow.....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

09/10 - promotion from Championship with Newcastle as champions
10/11 - gets Newcastle to EPL mid table but sacked mid season, Newcastle fans protested against his sacking
11/12 - 4th in Championship with Birmingham, lost playoff semi final
12/13 - 11th in Premier League with Norwich
13/14 - 17th in Premier League with Norwich, sacked in April - they were five points above the relegation zone when he was sacked, they went winless following his sacking and were relegated under Derek Adams
14/15 - joins Brighton in Championship relegation zone in December, keeps them up finishing 20th
15/16 - 3rd in Championship with Brighton, lost playoff semi final
16/17 - 2nd in Championship with Brighton, promoted to EPL
17/18 - 15th in Premier League with Brighton
18/19 - 17th in Premier League with Brighton, sacked at end of season 
19/20 - no management job during the curtailed pandemic season
20/21 - joins bottom of Championship Nottingham Forest in October, keeps them up finishing 17th

This could be Mick McCarthy's record. 

Except it isn't, it's much stronger than Mick's CV at club level. And that's not meant as a criticism of Mick, who has a decent record. But Hughton's is better - longer in the top flight and never been relegated. Taking Brighton from the Championship relegation zone into being an established premier league club is a particular highlight there, for all the positivity about Potter he has yet to take them forward in the way that Hughton did.

If I had one criticism of him it's that he should have known better than to take the Forest job. However, it's that decision that now might just make him a realistic option for Ireland, he was out of range for us previously.

Edited by You Tell Me - 15 Sep 2021 at 3:38pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Cant read the article but does he say anything constructive/suggest an alternative? Does he state that Kenny should be sacked?
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:47pm
He basically gives a list of criticisms - results, style of play, the four year plan etc. In his defence he says that he has been hampered by the poor standard of the League of Ireland and the poor standard of players coming through. He says a final decision to make the change (or not presumably) should be taken at the end of the campaign.

Edited by You Tell Me - 15 Sep 2021 at 3:50pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:56pm

He basically gives a list of criticisms - results, style of play, the four year plan etc. In his defence he says that he has been hampered by the poor standard of the League of Ireland and the poor standard of players coming through. He says a final decision to make the change (or not presumably) should be taken at the end of the campaign.
He blames the LOI? LOLLOL Any mention of his employer no? 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 4:13pm

Cant read the article but does he say anything constructive/suggest an alternative? Does he state that Kenny should be sacked?

Click on the link and then remove the the following characters in the URL - %20/

For some reason the forum adds that to the URL.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 4:22pm

Results - Fair enough results have been shocking
Style of Play - ?????????? What style does he advocate, hit and hope?
4 Year Plan - What's the problem? There was no quick fix available imo

Tbf all Irish managers have been hampered by the standard of the League of Ireland (which is the result of decades of mismanagement by the FAI) - there are small signs of improvement with the new structures and Brexit may perversely help improve the domestic game. None of this is particularly relevant to Kenny's tenure to date.
Poor standard of players coming through - This I just dont agree with, we have some very good young players coming through as evidenced by our performance in the Toulon tournament and the last U-21 qualifying campaign. We had 6 players 25 or under starting away (2 more came off the bench) to Portugal and they were unlucky to lose the game. Now they are probably not quite ready yet, but I think the standard is pretty good tbf.

Agree that a decision should be taken at the end of the campaign, but there are 3 options at that stage 1) Sack 2) New contract or 3) Give him until the end of his contract (post 4 of the 6 NL qualifiers) and then decide.

Sounds like he hasnt said a whole lot really!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Click on the link and then remove the the following characters in the URL - %20/

For some reason the forum adds that to the URL.

Thanks Horse - tbf to Houghton he was reasonably measured in his criticism - he didnt really stick the boot in, like several others.
Idah Dream!
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 6:01pm
ah lads 30 new posts going around in circles again!!!
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 6:38pm

I like the way Ray constantly called out JD over the years … oh wait I must have imagined that 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 360361362363364 737>
  Share Topic