You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 311312313314315 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

People are acting like we won the game and that anybody who doubted Kenny has been proven wrong, after yet another defeat. We played very well but we still lost, again. 14 games, 1 win (against a team of semi pros in a friendly).

He still hasnt won a competitive game and we've had a situation twice before this where we raised our level against good opposition (Slovakia, Serbia) - got nothing out of the games and followed it up with a series of rubbish performances. It's like groundhog day here today, the exact same stuff was said after those two games and both times we followed it up with rubbish performances and damaging defeats.

He needs to win games now. At some point there has to be actual concrete evidence of progress, in the form of results and points, 4 points from the next 2 games and that would show that there is a future here with him.

I suppose ultimately this is 100% correct the performance was encouraging.

But he needs 4 points in next two games our level of performance will definitely help his stock.

My only fear how much has this performance taken out of the players.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:30pm

People are acting like we won the game and that anybody who doubted Kenny has been proven wrong, after yet another defeat. We played very well but we still lost, again. 14 games, 1 win (against a team of semi pros in a friendly).

He still hasnt won a competitive game and we've had a situation twice before this where we raised our level against good opposition (Slovakia, Serbia) - got nothing out of the games and followed it up with a series of rubbish performances. It's like groundhog day here today, the exact same stuff was said after those two games and both times we followed it up with rubbish performances and damaging defeats.

He needs to win games now. At some point there has to be actual concrete evidence of progress, in the form of results and points, 4 points from the next 2 games and that would show that there is a future here with him.

There's a huge pro-Kenny bias on this particular forum compared to other Irish football supporter outlets, we all know this and we know the reason why.

Last night was a decent night for him and we should absolutely be giving him and his staff credit for the performance. At the same time we need to be winning games that aren't friendlies against minnows and we have yet to do that. 

But there is a huge chance here for him to turn things around. 2 home games, 2 big performances, 2 wins. That's what we need and hopefully that's what we will see in the next few days. Get the two wins, and the whole outlook changes.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

There's a huge pro-Kenny bias on this particular forum compared to other Irish football supporter outlets, we all know this and we know the reason why.

Last night was a decent night for him and we should absolutely be giving him and his staff credit for the performance. At the same time we need to be winning games that aren't friendlies against minnows and we have yet to do that. 

But there is a huge chance here for him to turn things around. 2 home games, 2 big performances, 2 wins. That's what we need and hopefully that's what we will see in the next few days. Get the two wins, and the whole outlook changes.
Less idiots here? 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:37pm

I’ll tell you why. For the most part, people on this forum care about Irish football and want to see the team develop and evolve. People on this forum actually go to games. Facebook and Twitter are full of arseholes who don’t care about the team, constantly sl*g off the team for being sh*te because their football experiences are based solely on watching EPL matches down the boozer. Read the comments on Facebook or Twitter for any post on the FAI page for anything related to the senior men’s team. Full of absolute gobsh*tes.

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:41pm
^^^ very true ^^^
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Less idiots here? 

Not if your posts are anything to go by.

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I’ll tell you why. For the most part, people on this forum care about Irish football and want to see the team develop and evolve. People on this forum actually go to games. Facebook and Twitter are full of arseholes who don’t care about the team, constantly sl*g off the team for being sh*te because their football experiences are based solely on watching EPL matches down the boozer. Read the comments on Facebook or Twitter for any post on the FAI page for anything related to the senior men’s team. Full of absolute gobsh*tes.

Definitely closer. It's linked to the League of Ireland anyway. But much as the Facebook and Twitter crowd are full of sh*te there's plenty on here who go overboard in the opposite direction also, determined to find any positives even at times during the last year when there have been none. As ever, the reality is somewhere in between.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:44pm

Less idiots here? 

I dont want to take away from last night being impressive and if we do well over the next two games in particular but also the rest of the campaign, then I'd be happy to see him get the next campaign.

However it's a bit ironic to see other people as idiots for being annoyed with a manager with 1 win in 14. You can build something, you can use young players and develop a style and win at the same time. Certainly against the Bulgarias, the Finlands, the Luxembourgs. It isnt a trade off you know, I think some people get very confused by that. At some point he actually needs to start getting results or this 'building' sh*te will go on for years with barely a brick layed. Let's see if we can follow up a good performance for once. 3 points v Azerbaijan is a must, because if we arent getting that then nothing has changed.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:56pm
People seem to think that because ireland were good before like in 2002 that we should still good. 

People on this forum tend to follow irish players club form and progress. We all know we don't have a Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, mcateer, finnan, Dunne or quinn anymore.

We have players struggling to play games with their clubs. Some just breaking through and some winding down.

Kenny set the team up very well yesterday, organised them and set out a good game plan.

It's up to the players to win the game beyond that.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:02pm

Less idiots here? 

I dont want to take away from last night being impressive and if we do well over the next two games in particular but also the rest of the campaign, then I'd be happy to see him get the next campaign.

However it's a bit ironic to see other people as idiots for being annoyed with a manager with 1 win in 14. You can build something, you can use young players and develop a style and win at the same time. Certainly against the Bulgarias, the Finlands, the Luxembourgs. It isnt a trade off you know, I think some people get very confused by that. At some point he actually needs to start getting results or this 'building' sh*te will go on for years with barely a brick layed. Let's see if we can follow up a good performance for once. 3 points v Azerbaijan is a must, because if we arent getting that then nothing has changed.
If you actually can’t see the good Kenny has done & the changes he has made then I am certainly not gonna waste my time on you or others. 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:05pm

Less idiots here? 

Not if your posts are anything to go by.

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Definitely closer. It's linked to the League of Ireland anyway. But much as the Facebook and Twitter crowd are full of sh*te there's plenty on here who go overboard in the opposite direction also, determined to find any positives even at times during the last year when there have been none. As ever, the reality is somewhere in between.

Oooh salty. 
If you think the lads on Facebook know more, then stick to posting there. 
Being a LOI supporter is somehow a bad thing now LOL a lot of lads here could do with going and watching live football, whether that’s LOI or not it doesn’t matter, they’d learn a hell of a lot more than just watching it on TV 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

People seem to think that because ireland were good before like in 2002 that we should still good. 

People on this forum tend to follow irish players club form and progress. We all know we don't have a Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, mcateer, finnan, Dunne or quinn anymore.

We have players struggling to play games with their clubs. Some just breaking through and some winding down.

Kenny set the team up very well yesterday, organised them and set out a good game plan.

It's up to the players to win the game beyond that.

Who has said that?

And anyway, we were "good" in 2016. Not that long ago.
Even more recently than that, we were very competitive in a group against the Euro 2020 quarter and semi finalists - a group where we took qualification to the final game.

All that is a far cry away from 1 win in 14 under Kenny.

And again, last night was a good performance, and absolutely we dont have the same level of players available that we did at times in our history, and yes he is bringing through younger players.

However the facts remain, 1 win in 14. We have played well before v good opposition and followed it up with muck. There hasnt been any evidence of building anything except for one off performances. At some point there needs to be clear evidence of something happening or Kenny is going to need to go. No other manager would have been allowed the run he has had and face such relatively little criticism. Mick was getting a pasting for not qualifying us automatically, Kenny is light years away from that.

So let's see how the next two games go, if they go well then I dont think you'll find an Irish fan out there who wont be thrilled. But some in here acting like last night was some sort of 'I told you so moment' would want to get real.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:13pm

Less idiots here? 

If you actually can’t see the good Kenny has done & the changes he has made then I am certainly not gonna waste my time on you or others. 

LOL

Yeah this is what you're dealing with here. Treating a manager with 1 win in 14 like a messiah because hes brought through a few players and had 3 spirited defeats. Like a cult. 

I think I've been very balanced with my posts on the issue but it seems many would be happy for Kenny to go through 3 campaigns with no wins, with our young players growing old under the guise of 'building something'.

At some point he needs to get results. Like it or lump it, those are the facts. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:16pm

That's actually fair enough comment but Portugal was a big step up from Slovakia and Serbia. And he was shafted by the officials in Serbia and even more so again last night. Hard to get results against 12 men. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 02 Sep 2021 at 1:20pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

I suppose ultimately this is 100% correct the performance was encouraging.

But he needs 4 points in next two games our level of performance will definitely help his stock.

My only fear how much has this performance taken out of the players.

My big fear is more players testing positive for Covid after Long's positive test last night. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:30pm

Less idiots here? 

LOL

Yeah this is what you're dealing with here. Treating a manager with 1 win in 14 like a messiah because hes brought through a few players and had 3 spirited defeats. Like a cult. 

I think I've been very balanced with my posts on the issue but it seems many would be happy for Kenny to go through 3 campaigns with no wins, with our young players growing old under the guise of 'building something'.

At some point he needs to get results. Like it or lump it, those are the facts. 
Does being able to see that we’re going in the right direction somehow mean people think he’s the messiah? 

Last night SK got it tactically 100% correct, we exposed their weaknesses and should’ve had at least 1 more goal. But individual errors let us down. 

We’re tactically far superior now than we were 18 months ago. 

We’re far more comfortable on the ball than we were 18 months ago. 

We’re creating more chances than we were 18 months ago. 

We’ve a far younger squad than we had 18 months ago, most of our squad is 19-24 now, something which we’ll benefit hugely from in the future. 

“Building something” being somehow a negative only makes you look silly. 

oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:30pm
if people didn’t enjoy that performance more than mick sending a team out to welly Gibraltar then I give up.
No Pasaran!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:33pm
This period together training, bonding and playing together is massive for this group. Euros is the target

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

if people didn’t enjoy that performance more than mick sending a team out to welly Gibraltar then I give up.

Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 311312313314315 735>
  Share Topic