You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 735>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 2:05am
Love the way Kenny speaks about football. 

“I think there is a danger is focusing on what you don’t have sometimes,” Kenny explains. “It’s not a league table to say: ‘How many players have you got playing in the Premier League, how many games have they played.’ The international team shouldn’t reflect a league table of how many appearances people have and so forth.

“You have to have your own vision of what you want, your own style of play and what fits that, what constitutes a team. You’ve got to see it with your own eyes. You’ve got to see the potential in people, even if they are not really excelling with their club. We have to utilise what we have got and, as a nation overall, show greater belief in ourselves.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/09/stephen-kenny-ireland-italy-under-21-european-championship
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:08am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Love the way Kenny speaks about football. 

“I think there is a danger is focusing on what you don’t have sometimes,” Kenny explains. “It’s not a league table to say: ‘How many players have you got playing in the Premier League, how many games have they played.’ The international team shouldn’t reflect a league table of how many appearances people have and so forth.

“You have to have your own vision of what you want, your own style of play and what fits that, what constitutes a team. You’ve got to see it with your own eyes. You’ve got to see the potential in people, even if they are not really excelling with their club. We have to utilise what we have got and, as a nation overall, show greater belief in ourselves.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/09/stephen-kenny-ireland-italy-under-21-european-championship

ClapHeart
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:50pm
  “I wouldn’t accept a point now if it was offered to me,” Kenny asserted.

“Why wouldn’t we be confident? We’ve got really good midfield players and forwards who can score goals. Italy are strong but we’ve got a lot of attributes and we mustn’t diminish that”

what a great attitude from Kenny... now contrast that with Mick before the swiss game at home when asked about taking a point Ermm

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

“I wouldn’t accept a point now if it was offered to me,” Kenny asserted.

“Why wouldn’t we be confident? We’ve got really good midfield players and forwards who can score goals. Italy are strong but we’ve got a lot of attributes and we mustn’t diminish that”

what a great attitude from Kenny... now contrast that with Mick before the swiss game at home when asked about taking a point Ermm

Kenny has, for the age group, very good players. There’s no point in pretending the seniors are world beaters!
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:59pm
a bit of positivity can go a long way...much better than going into things with a defeatist attitude, its got us nowhere in the past!! aim high comrades !!! WinkLOL
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 7:24pm

a bit of positivity can go a long way...much better than going into things with a defeatist attitude, its got us nowhere in the past!! aim high comrades !!! WinkLOL

Aim high and get arse handed to us only for him to look like a buffoon.

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

That’s the spirit
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 7:35pm

So what. Id rather aim high than talk ourselves down all the time.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

So what. Id rather aim high than talk ourselves down all the time.

Good for you.

I dont think Mick talks us down at all. May hedge his bets a bit but ffs, he has been given his SHORT assignment and isnt going to be gung ho in pressers or foolish on the pitch. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:17pm
I hope he doesn't sh*t himself when he comes in and gives into 'pragmatism'.

I hope he keeps his idealistic way of playing.

'Pragmastism'.  Translation:  Playing with utter fear. Negative, cowardly way of playing in case we concede by trying to actually score ourselves. sh*tting yourself.

We may fall off the edge of the earth by sailing out towards the unknown!   Don't attack!!!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:19pm
It will be fascinating to see his first line up. all the teams he has managed up to now have played pretty good football. 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:20pm
You picked the wrong day to give up sniffing glue
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:48pm
I can't wait for Kenny to come in.  The young players we have coming through look very promising too.  Way better than the current batch.  I think in 4 or 5 yrs we will have a very good side.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:12am
Some job he's doing. If he qualifies and gets to the u21 euros it will be the perfect prep for the senior job. 
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 1:30am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Anyone who thinks Stephen Kenny is a better option than McCarthy or Allardyce doesn’t understand football. 

I get the sentiment among LOI fans but that’s the equivalent of championing a foreigner who managed Sparta Prague and NEC Breda. 

Apologies Barry but I just hit on page 3 by mistake.

This was the attitude and I was half that way and completely wrong. McVarthy has had his time and has let us down 
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 11:35pm
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 11:48pm
The Nations League draw is on March 3rd. The FAI better send Stephen Kenny to it instead of Mick. 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
garretjoseph View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garretjoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 3:04am
I now understand why a lot of people were barking on about giving the job to Kenny right away. We could have lost every game including the ones against Gibraltar and all Nations League Games and still would have made the playoffs. 

Could have really brought in a ton of young players and got them invaluable experience. Oh well. What could have been. 

Based on the matches I’ve seen underage I’m excited to see what kenny brings to the senior team and who he calls up game 1.

Edited by garretjoseph - 24 Nov 2019 at 3:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 735>
  Share Topic