Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 735>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Luxembourg wasn’t even a surprise. It baffles me that people can’t accept that we’re not very good at the moment. 

That's Kenny's doing. No one else's.

We had a strong enough team out to beat them, but it's not only the Luxembourg game. We've played some mediocre opposition and we've failed to beat them with a lot of under whelming performances.

For his own sake, he needs to start winning games.

That's the bottom line HB as the manager carries the can in good times and bad .

With the players he has , he picks the side and sets out how he wants the team to play . In ways he has been very unlucky with the team we have at the moment but in others way i think the Fans would have told him what most think of him here in Ireland at the end of the Luxembourg game , i think the FAI would have been in no doubts about that one .

Now will he be given an other contract , well when you talk about the FAI anything can happen but when he does go i can only see a LOI team wanting to take him on and that's tells all you want to know about his standard in football at the moment .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Is an end of season friendly a must win game? 

Not really but when you consider he has 0 wins in 10 and just lost at home against a side considered as minnows. 

If he can't beat Andorra, he shouldn't really be in the job.

A win will be good for morale if anything.

Look he has only got until November the way i see it as i can't see how he can be keep on after that , he should have gone after the Lux game .
I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually gets another contract as Ireland manager and the reaction on here from you and others will be priceless when that happens 😀😀😀😀😀

One thing that could very well happen, is that Kenny will bring through all these players but the results will go against him. He won't get his contract renewed and another manager will take over and reap the benefit of this 2 year bedding in period. 

A lot of these players will have 2/3 years international experience and will be the better for it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 1:24pm
As much as I'd like him to succeed, I see that as the most likely outcome. I mentioned it a few months ago but if that's his legacy then it's not a bad one to have, like the managers who laid the groundwork at Wales.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

As much as I'd like him to succeed, I see that as the most likely outcome. I mentioned it a few months ago but if that's his legacy then it's not a bad one to have, like the managers who laid the groundwork at Wales.

The worry though is the pressure from the media will be to pump for Big Sam or Neil Lennon (or even Roy Keane) as a replacement for Kenny, and that's going to do nothing for us either. We'll be back to 10 behind the ball and trying  to knick the odd result here and there (I don't think we'd even achieve that with the current squad). It might get us to a Euros via the playoffs at a push if we're lucky,  but a World Cup in the next 10 years at least is a pipe dream.

We need to be realistic about A) How attractive the senior international Irish job is & B) Finances that would attract a half way decent alternative are not available to us. 

I'm still of the opinion that we should stick with Kenny for the next Euro campaign. I think the Covid factor, the massive turn over of players in a short space of time and the level most of our players are at (if they're getting any game time at all), is not being factored in here by most. There is no quick fix to our problems.

In saying all that, I fully expect him to be sacked in the Autumn. One more bad result and the weight of pressure from the media on the FAI to sack him will be too much for them to ignore.

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 5:22pm
I have and continue to back Kenny, but anyone that bring daryl horgan and harry arter into a squad, I have to say it is baffling.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

I have and continue to back Kenny, but anyone that bring daryl horgan and harry arter into a squad, I have to say it is baffling.

Totally agree with that both have been in exile for their clubs and have never been good players.

Only slightly more understandable is McLean and Randolph but again neither are going to improve the team at this point. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 6:11pm

Same.
Is it that there are simply no alternatives?

Answering my own meanderings, Scully could replace Horgan on the right and I'd have thought O'Connor is brought in as a CDM moreso than a RB so no need for Arter there (the O'Connor callup can be readily questioned but at least he's up-and-coming, if you like).

Edited by Fozz - 26 May 2021 at 6:12pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Same.
Is it that there are simply no alternatives?

Answering my own meanderings, Scully could replace Horgan on the right and I'd have thought O'Connor is brought in as a CDM moreso than a RB so no need for Arter there (the O'Connor callup can be readily questioned but at least he's up-and-coming, if you like).

Not a lot of players who could be considered hard done by. Shodipo, Scully... Jordan Shipley of Coventry maybe? He plays LM mostly.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 8:14pm
Marcus Harness maybe? Big deal made about him when he was in the Aviva stadium at the end of last year, and then nothing after that.

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 26 May 2021 at 8:14pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Reality check - the team is s#1t 

To be fair I think everyone knows at this stage that the team is sh*t. The problem is that Kenny is setting them up to try and play like they're Manchester City or PSG. Which is crazy because we obviously do not have the players to play that way.

You only have to look at the Nordies in recent years to see that, when your team is sh*t, you have to set up to be solid at the back first and foremost and then play in a way that allows some chances to be created at the other end. That doesn't have to be constant Route 1, there is a middle ground that can be found in terms of style of play, but setting the team up like City or PSG or whoever isn't going to achieve anything with the players we have and it needs to stop.

If that setup is all he has to offer he'd be as well to go now because things aren't going to get any better playing that way with the players we have. We're sh*t, but we're still good enough to beat Luxembourg if we're set up properly. From what I've seen Kenny isn't able to adapt to that and should therefore be moved on, no later than the end of this campaign (and ideally sooner).

Well said. You can't play a certain way and get beat and then say we don't have the players 😂

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 9:20pm
So we should go back to the winning way of 11 men behind the ball and offer nothing going forward? 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 9:42pm
Have we beaten anyone of note since wales in 2017?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 9:57pm
Not unless you consider Georgia to be someone of note.

I wouldn't even fancy us to take a point off them under Kenny mind you.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:00pm

Not unless you consider Georgia to be someone of note.

I wouldn't even fancy us to take a point off them under Kenny mind you.
So you’re advocating for us to return to a style of play under which we couldn’t beat anyone. Fair enough.

Edited by FrankosHereNow - 26 May 2021 at 10:02pm

As You Were
Three in a row
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:00pm

So we should go back to the winning way of 11 men behind the ball and offer nothing going forward? 

It is possible to not set up like PSG while at the same time not sticking 11 behind the ball. The middle ground between those two setups is huge.

Keeping just four or five behind the ball would represent an improvement on the way we've repeatedly left ourselves wide open under the current management.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:05pm
Also, WTF are you on about comparing us to PSG? Some other fella said we need to stop trying to play like Barcelona. 

Just because your first instinct isn’t to welly the ball up the pitch doesn’t mean you’re trying to play total football. We’re trying to retain possession more and play the ball out from the back more.

As You Were
Three in a row
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:12pm
We've played 20 years of long ball and other teams of a similar player pool to our own have left us behind by adopting a more modern style of football.

We need to start again not continue the rut. I seriously don't understand why some fans think we were grand before Kenny.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:18pm

It is possible to not set up like PSG while at the same time not sticking 11 behind the ball. The middle ground between those two setups is huge.

Keeping just four or five behind the ball would represent an improvement on the way we've repeatedly left ourselves wide open under the current management.

You'd swear we were shipping 3 or 4 goals per game the way some are going on.

The few goals we're conceding haven't been the problem, its not being able to create or score down the other end that is.

Under Kenny we've conceded 8 goals in 9 competitive games. 2 of which were down to a very inexperienced keeper.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 735>
  Share Topic