You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 244245246247248 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:34am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

He wasn’t hired to get us to the World Cup. It almost impossible for us to qualify. We’re also rans in toughest confederation to qualify from.

We’ve had much stronger squads that have failed to qualify. We’ve also had 2 managers in our history who’ve qualified for a World Cup.
Right so on That criteria it’s all most impossible for him not to succeed why were we even worrying about injuries and Covid.

Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:35am

He wasn’t hired to get us to the World Cup. It almost impossible for us to qualify. We’re also rans in toughest confederation to qualify from.

We’ve had much stronger squads that have failed to qualify. We’ve also had 2 managers in our history who’ve qualified for a World Cup.
We haven't a hope of qualifying. The same people saying he was brought in to help us qualify are the same lads that accuse England fans of being delusional.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Right so on That criteria it’s all most impossible for him not to succeed why were we even worrying about injuries and Covid.

This bit baffles me too. The same delusions, I would suspect.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:42am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I can’t understand that 7 of 8 games don’t count of course they count no win and 1 goal yes he has problems but we need to adapt and up to now we haven’t.

Had these games gone well lads would have been pro Kenny and his approach but because of these performance he and the squad are under more pressure to get results over the next 2 games.

If we get anything less the 3 points the pressure will be huge.

Yes the squad is poor but there still has to be minimum level of performance required and up to now we haven’t met those.

Tonight is chance to take a step in right direction.
Did you watch any of them? Some of those NL games made the friendlies against Oman seem competitive. They were nothing games in a 'competition' that shouldn't have gone ahead and saw the players of all sides lose interest. I would continue to argue of the further damage they have done to international football, regardless of who the manager is.
I watched all of them.
We lost a second seed out of those games and a playoff the second seed was there until the last day so there was always something to play for.
Regardless of the competition or lack there of in your opinion.
We still didn’t come out the right side of any result.

And all bar England were teams at our level 1 goal 1 bloody goal if that’s not a cause for concern I don’t know what is.

Tonight can help erase those games but if it doesn’t go our way it will add more pressure.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:47am
Not winning on Saturday will add pressure. Tonight is about trying to build performance and little more.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:58am

Not winning on Saturday will add pressure. Tonight is about trying to build performance and little more.
100% but a result tonight is key if we are to harbour any real interest of getting out of the group we need it to be in the balance when the Serbs come to Dublin in September.

Kenny can’t afford for it to be over before it really has begun.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:03am

100% but a result tonight is key if we are to harbour any real interest of getting out of the group we need it to be in the balance when the Serbs come to Dublin in September.

It is over now. These delusions about qualifying are embarrassing. We have more chance of coming fourth than second. I
We are not in the top 26 teams in Europe, never mind the top 13. We are nowhere near the top two in our group, despite Serbia's faults and history of underachieving.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:05am
Some crazy talk on here but again it's the same few pushing all the negativity.
Anyone who writes off the NL games as anything but a farce is conveniently forgetting the facts and just looking at the bottom line.  We had lads starting games who were not even in the initial squads...massive player turnover and disruption at every match.
A shambles end to end and the fact we still managed to get some OK performances was a miracle in its own right.

Hourihane and others missing sitters is not the manager's fault.

We started off defensively unsettled and ended with our defense looking a lot better.
We held onto the ball and controlled periods of matches against half-decent teams whereas before we'd have kicked and hoped and looked for something to drop.  That's not a viable strategy, even if it sometimes worked.

Whomever said Kenny was hired to qualify us for this World Cup needs to take a break and consider that.  3rd seeds where only the top seed qualifies.
Adds up.

The low-ebb we are experiencing now was seeded a generation and more ago and will take years to recover from.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:05am
Kenny should definitely get at least this campaign. But I do think the pressure starts to build if we get a spanking tonight and only 1 point on Saturday. 

I dont think we qualify for the world Cup but what we are looking for is progress and signs that we have a chance moving forward. We'll know by the end of the campaign where we stand and what direction we are going in.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

You're kinda running with the hare and chasing with the hounds there, Fruice. 
In what regard?
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:16am
Fair play to Coleman for coming out and saying that he was not one bit humiliated despite Paul Lennon saying otherwise in the star a while back for having to do the press conference before Bulgaria game when he wasn’t going to be starting. 
Boondock View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:17am
So a spanking tonight and failing to beat Luxembourg following the previous 8 matches of delight might mean Kenny is under a little bit of pressure yet big Mick was derided by many here with his 5-4-1 record. I seriously dont get it.

JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:20am
It f**king Serbia we’re playing not France,Germany or Spain.....Serbia are at as much of a crossroads as we are,ok we’re depleted but I’m 100% sure there’s not one person in that Irish camp who thinks they can’t get a result later tonight...a basic bust your bollocks for 90mins with a bit using our heads passing and gameplay and we’ll get a result and move on.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:22am
Didn’t realise Roy Curtis had multiple accounts on here, what a bunch of f**king w@nkers.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:22am

It is over now. These delusions about qualifying are embarrassing. We have more chance of coming fourth than second. I
We are not in the top 26 teams in Europe, never mind the top 13. We are nowhere near the top two in our group, despite Serbia's faults and history of underachieving.
I don’t know if we will qualify but to rule it out before it starts is madness go out and set up correctly tonight make it hard for them and hope to get a draw and go from there.

This will be a good test of Kenny the manager how he sets us up tonight and how we approach the game in order to get a positive result.

If the attitude is a sur we can’t qualify and basically the result doesn’t matter then Kenny is under no pressure will have it easy come contract renewal time.
Then he definitely should start all the younger lads let them get the game time and don’t bother with any of the lads that won’t be around the next campaign.

Edited by Fruice - 24 Mar 2021 at 10:24am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:24am
Funny enough, it feels like a big day for Kenny. I appreciate he has already had a major test in Slovakia (which he acquitted himself well in), but he has played a lot of matches which are competitive, but not at the level of the Slovakia game where something was immediately at stake. He has had a poor run of luck, and to his credit has tried to employ orthodox football tactics, after years of Ireland playing long ball.

I think there are a few things I want to see from Kenny, and the first one is ingenuity with his team selection on the back of the gutting that has happened through injury and retirement. I also hope that there are not going to be too many obvious blindspots when it comes to individual team selection (Duffy, Doherty, Horgan all spring to mind). I also hope that a system can be created which maximises the potentials, even in situation where we appear blunt in attack (i.e. don't stick with orthodox football if its not making headway).

For his benefit, expectations around tonight are low. A gallant defeat where we matched the Serbs, a draw or a win will all have their positives (obviously some with infinitely greater positives than others). A heavy defeat will create significant discussion about the future potential, and it will create a greater pressure for Saturday.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:24am
I agree entirely. There shouldn't be anybody over 30 in the squad. We should have done at last time out, but we kicked the can two years down the road and are all the worse for it. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Fair play to Coleman for coming out and saying that he was not one bit humiliated despite Paul Lennon saying otherwise in the star a while back for having to do the press conference before Bulgaria game when he wasn’t going to be starting. 

Yeah called out that “so called” journo big time. I hope he says it to his face directly too. 

Steve Kenny is the unluckiest Ireland manager to date. His luck will change tonight - 2 1 to Ireland Thumbs Up 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 244245246247248 735>
  Share Topic