Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232233234235236 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

new coach set to be announced and its not thought to be a name that has been out there such as o Shea or Carsley or Kennedy according to Dan McDonnell in the indo 

Robbie Keane. Hes still on the payroll till 2030
Sponsored Links

AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:44pm
why aren’t the FAI on the phone to CONMEBOL offering to participate in the COPA America in the absence of Qatar and Australia?
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

why aren’t the FAI on the phone to CONMEBOL offering to participate in the COPA America in the absence of Qatar and Australia?

Because they can't afford the price of an international  phone call.
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Because they can't afford the price of an international  phone call.

I heard they can't afford a phone
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:11pm

Why aren’t you on the phone to ask them?
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:24pm

I presume UEFA would need to sanction this, even if it was a goer. I know they've allowed Spain compete before, but I can't see them letting a European team compete in another high profile competition at the same time as the Euros
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I presume UEFA would need to sanction this, even if it was a goer. I know they've allowed Spain compete before, but I can't see them letting a European team compete in another high profile competition at the same time as the Euros

When did Spain compete ? 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

A lot of debate on if we should play kennys passing game or if we'd have a better chance with mccarthys long ball approach.

The way things are going, I dont think there's a formation or tactic that would get us near any qualification.

We're simply struggling all over the pitch... a bit grim I know but we'll be looking to build for the next two years .

True. I often think we have sometimes been very quick to invoke the "sum total is better than its constituent parts" mantra when it comes to previous teams. But at the moment, I would have little faith in the collective, let alone any single one of our players. This is now exacerbated by injury and poor form, and Kenny has a major on his hands to actually wrangle what is left into a team that can advantageously utilise his more open style of play. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

When did Spain compete ? 

Must of dreamt that! I thought they competed in an anniversary Copa for some reason. Any point still stands, can't see UEFA allowing any European team play 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:29pm

I doubt we would take much away from the tv audience for the EUROS. Minuscule chance of happening but be nice if they tried 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:32pm

When did Spain compete ? 
I think that they were contemplating going, along with Portugal, for the centenary tournament but other commitments came to pass. I would imagine UEFA would be very slow to let members compete. I'm not sure if the players would want it and I very much doubt that CONMEBOL would see Ireland adding anything of interest to the tournament.

Beside all that, the FAI should be making this happen and it is an absolute disgrace if they don't!!!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

When did Spain compete ? 
I think that they were contemplating going, along with Portugal, for the centenary tournament but other commitments came to pass. I would imagine UEFA would be very slow to let members compete. I'm not sure if the players would want it and I very much doubt that CONMEBOL would see Ireland adding anything of interest to the tournament.

Beside all that, the FAI should be making this happen and it is an absolute disgrace if they don't!!!!

Ireland playing Argentina in the Monumental Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:40pm

There would be significant local interest in Argentina if Ireland participated. 12% of their population claims Irish heritage and they reckon we share a bond due to our past Brit related problems. 

I don't think anyone in Colombia would give a fook though. 

Edited by MC Hammered - 25 Feb 2021 at 1:40pm
El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

There would be significant local interest in Argentina if Ireland participated. 12% of their population claims Irish heritage and they reckon we share a bond due to our shared Brit related problems. 

I would question the use of the word 'significant' there! There would be some and it would be minor. 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:43pm

El Cartel might be happy to get some new customers. Why aren't you on the phone to Medellin?
It would damage this forums' reputation
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:44pm

There would be significant local interest in Argentina if Ireland participated. 12% of their population claims Irish heritage and they reckon we share a bond due to our shared Brit related problems. 

I would question the use of the word 'significant' there! There would be some and it would be minor. 

We need to call back Javier to settle this ...

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:50pm

Honestly, I think the Argentines would really welcome it. St Patricks Day is a big enough deal in Buenos Aires. A lot of the posh or middle class kids get educated in what were previously Irish run schools and they have a good awareness of Ireland generally.  
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:53pm
I see one of the stadium hosting games is called the Estadio Malvinas Argentinas. Sadly in the unlikely event we were invited none of our games would be there. We would play one of them in the Estadio Mario Kempes though Cool

Edited by Denis Irwin - 25 Feb 2021 at 1:53pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232233234235236 735>
  Share Topic