You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 735>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:38pm
2+2 = 7 where’s Agatha Christie when ye need her wha
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

no but it’s the part that pertains to coaching.
I can’t see any dig at Kelly

“The only person who has lost out is me by walking away. You’re soon forgotten; I’m sure staff and players don’t have a problem with it now. It’s water under the bridge.

I’ve given up the chance of coaching elite players, which doesn’t come around too often.

“I’ve probably lost a lot of focus as well, which a lot of ex-players tell you that you need in your life.

“I felt strongly about things and I would have been unhappy with things had I stayed. It’s as simple as that.

“I know football people want to know, I’d be the same, but at the same time, I just want to keep it private.

“Even two weeks ago when you guys told me I was going to be asked about it, I was like ‘really?”

I’ve given up the chance of coaching elite players, which doesn’t come around too often.

“I’ve probably lost a lot of focus as well, which a lot of ex-players tell you that you need in your life.

“I felt strongly about things and I would have been unhappy with things had I stayed. It’s as simple as that.

“I know football people want to know, I’d be the same, but at the same time, I just want to keep it private.

“Even two weeks ago when you guys told me I was going to be asked about it, I was like ‘really?”

I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:38pm
It's no secret that duff always had issues with the FAI. And he took the coaching role probably under the conditions that there was going to be no sh!t from the "New" FAI. Fair play to him. The first hint that it was the same old bollocks he was out of there. 

it might be an extreme reaction but I get the impression in his own head he knew exactly what he was going to do if something like this came to pass. And it did. No second chances. Good luck. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:40pm
Duff wont ever have a top coaching job by the looks of it. Dosent seem to want it bad enough. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

It's no secret that duff always had issues with the FAI. And he took the coaching role probably under the conditions that there was going to be no sh!t from the "New" FAI. Fair play to him. The first hint that it was the same old bollocks he was out of there. 

it might be an extreme reaction but I get the impression in his own head he knew exactly what he was going to do if something like this came to pass. And it did. No second chances. Good luck. 

Duff when appointed was asked by Daragh Moloney about his role and he basically made it very clear that he didn’t want to work with the FAI but he was doing it because Stephen Kenny persuaded him. 

No question with the nonsense he was straight out the door. The fact he hasn’t taken another role since only leads credence to that. If he took another job somewhere he was offered another role at Celtic and one or two others too by all accounts I’d say it’s a cop out and he wanted out but the fact he hasn’t would be fairly telling it was the FAI issues. 

Duffer seems a to be a proper man too. If ya had men of his integrity leading the FAI or the country we’d be flying.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 8:57am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Duff wont ever have a top coaching job by the looks of it. Dosent seem to want it bad enough. 

He looked the same on the pitch during his career and he did alright. Never looked too bothered. 

I like that he is not a yes man. Far too many of them exist in life. Easy to say no with millions in the bank mind.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:06am
it looks to me that duff is a bit like Giles and is not cut out for the bullsh*t you have to put up with in professional football as a manager or a coach.  Giles got out as he couldn’t tolerate it and it looks like duff will be the same. 
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

it looks to me that duff is a bit like Giles and is not cut out for the bullsh*t you have to put up with in professional football as a manager or a coach.  Giles got out as he couldn’t tolerate it and it looks like duff will be the same. 

Wayyyyyy before my time but yeah, Giles was far too ahead of his time for the primitive FAI. We had a brilliant coach and manager in Giles but bureacracy was a massive barrier for him. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Ballycastle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballycastle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:49am
I thought this whenever the news broke a couple of months ago and i still believe this is a massive copout from Duff he has conpelety thrown Stephen Kenny under the bus by walking away and talking zero responsibility for his actions from his words lastnight! Like seriously how on earth was he surprised that he was going to be asked about it on the Champions league show on RTE lastnight? As i think it was his first media gig since he left the FAI.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Ballycastle Ballycastle wrote:

I thought this whenever the news broke a couple of months ago and i still believe this is a massive copout from Duff he has conpelety thrown Stephen Kenny under the bus by walking away and talking zero responsibility for his actions from his words lastnight! Like seriously how on earth was he surprised that he was going to be asked about it on the Champions league show on RTE lastnight? As i think it was his first media gig since he left the FAI.

Was he surprised? I didnt think so. 

Its not like he went live on air not knowing the question was coming. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Ballycastle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballycastle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:14am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Was he surprised? I didnt think so. 

Its not like he went live on air not knowing the question was coming. 

Well he did say that whenever he was asked to do the show two weeks and they told him that they would be asking the question regarding  walking out on the FAI and his response was 'really' so my question was why on earth would we be surprised that the national broadcaster on there flagship champions league programme on his first media gig? It just felt that he wasn't taking any responsibility over this actions.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:22am

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that he told Kenny the first time he met him what he would do if there was issues coming from the fai. 

Are you ok with that, Stephen?

I get the impression Kenny is the one person in this whole equation that was the least surprised what was coming down the tracks if the FAI started acting the bollocks.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:16pm
I do think whatever legitimate grievance Duff had with the FAI's handling of it, Kenny needed his support and not for Duff to leave at the worst possible time for a manager under pressure. 

I don't think Duff acted in bad faith or anything whether it was looking for an excuse to jump ship when results went bad or for a more lucrative coaching job but he certainly deserves some criticism as it was the last thing Kenny needed.  

I know we're on the outside looking in but I think he should've stayed on. It also may not do him much favours if he's looking for another coaching position down the road by doing a runner if things aren't going smoothly.  
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I do think whatever legitimate grievance Duff had with the FAI's handling of it, Kenny needed his support and not for Duff to leave at the worst possible time for a manager under pressure. 

I don't think Duff acted in bad faith or anything whether it was looking for an excuse to jump ship when results went bad or for a more lucrative coaching job but he certainly deserves some criticism as it was the last thing Kenny needed.  

I know we're on the outside looking in but I think he should've stayed on. It also may not do him much favours if he's looking for another coaching position down the road by doing a runner if things aren't going smoothly.  

It's fairly obvious that Duff doesn't care about coaching as much as his own morals and principles. Which is fair enough.

And Kenny more than likely isn't surprised by what happened with duff as I'm very sure that he was warned by Duff prior to taking on the job that if there was any shenanigans he was out of there. I'm sure Kenny accepted that. And was willing to take that risk. The fai acted up and the rest is history.

I have absolutely no beef with Duff's decision assuming that he was up front with Kenny with how you felt about the fai and the potential ramifications if they started acting the bollocks. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

It's fairly obvious that Duff doesn't care about coaching as much as his own morals and principles. Which is fair enough.

And Kenny more than likely isn't surprised by what happened with duff as I'm very sure that he was warned by Duff prior to taking on the job that if there was any shenanigans he was out of there. I'm sure Kenny accepted that. And was willing to take that risk. The fai acted up and the rest is history.

I have absolutely no beef with Duff's decision assuming that he was up front with Kenny with how you felt about the fai and the potential ramifications if they started acting the bollocks. 

Yah well we don't know if he actually did that and I wouldn't be as convinced as you that he started laying out a specific condition like that when Kenny was recruiting him. 

I wouldn't be putting Duff up on any pedestal just yet tbh. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 8:32pm
A lot of debate on if we should play kennys passing game or if we'd have a better chance with mccarthys long ball approach.

The way things are going, I dont think there's a formation or tactic that would get us near any qualification.

We're simply struggling all over the pitch... a bit grim I know but we'll be looking to build for the next two years .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:47am
new coach set to be announced and its not thought to be a name that has been out there such as o Shea or Carsley or Kennedy according to Dan McDonnell in the indo 

AKA pedantic kunt
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

new coach set to be announced and its not thought to be a name that has been out there such as o Shea or Carsley or Kennedy according to Dan McDonnell in the indo 

Stephen is an avid fan of this site, in fact he gets most of his tactical ideas off here, it has to be one of our illustrious posters. Christy will be glued to his phone with a few others LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 735>
  Share Topic