You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 190191192193194 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

much of kenny's supposed difficulty with speaking to media seems to boil down to his dublin accent and vernacular for many people, im not sure this is a relevant criticism. would a spanish or italian manager for example get this criticism for being from a working class background? they wouldn't, because none of us would even realise that they are, the same way as most non irish would not know the difference between working and middle class irish accents and colloquial speech

Ah, come off it. It's got nothing to do with that. Brian Kerr had a Dublin accent and never had any issues speaking to the media. Roddy Collins is great in front of a mic. There's loads of examples. John Giles is a working class Dub.  

Kenny is awkward with a a mic in front of him, it's as simple as that. He has been throughout his career. If and when he starts getting results no one will give a toss.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:24am

much of kenny's supposed difficulty with speaking to media seems to boil down to his dublin accent and vernacular for many people Sid, im not sure this is a relevant criticism. would a spanish or italian manager for example get this criticism for being from a working class background? they wouldn't, because none of us would even realise that they are, the same way as most non irish would not know the difference between working and middle class irish accents and colloquial speech

Fixed.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:38am
He seems to be fine when is in the driver seat talking about the football side of things, how he wants to play, the opposition, etc. 
When he is asked to give his opinion on something, I think that is where his brain goes into overdrive and he thinks about the answer and repeats himself and it is hard to listen to. 

The latter is more a being comfortable with public speaking type deal.
I think he has a bit of an issue there but I am sure in the dressing room and on the training pitch he is getting his ideas across
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 12:47pm
I remember raising concerns about his lack of articulacy and slowness at making a point very early into his reign and people dismissed it. Has he got less articulate over the last 3 months?
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 2:20pm
Apart from the odd “um” and “ah” I really don’t understand the communications concern if it’s based on his interviews. He is much much better at communicating his perspective and thoughts than O’Neill, although O’Neill was perhaps just at the stage in his career where he resented the press. 

If there is something absent in his internal communications, that’s a different matter. We don’t have a view on that. I’ve only heard positive noises from the players though 
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 2:31pm
Lets be honest, this is only an issue because of our results in the last eight games. If that form continues I imagine it will become more of an issue in some peoples eyes. Five points from our first three games and it will all be forgotten about.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Apart from the odd “um” and “ah” I really don’t understand the communications concern if it’s based on his interviews. He is much much better at communicating his perspective and thoughts than O’Neill, although O’Neill was perhaps just at the stage in his career where he resented the press. 

If there is something absent in his internal communications, that’s a different matter. We don’t have a view on that. I’ve only heard positive noises from the players though 

Spot on.

Honestly, I'm sick to death of hearing how bad he is in interviews with the press. You'd swear he was rainman. He's not as bad as he was before imo. I couldn't give a toss how he sounds as long as the players are on board and there's nothing to indicate that they're not even despite the poor results. 

I'd expect the  players to back any Irish manager under pressure but it was still very decent of McGoldrick to speak so glowingly of Kenny and his staff which gives us some indication of how the players might view him. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

What did mcgoldrick say

Spot on.

Honestly, I'm sick to death of hearing how bad he is in interviews with the press. You'd swear he was rainman. He's not as bad as he was before imo. I couldn't give a toss how he sounds as long as the players are on board and there's nothing to indicate that they're not even despite the poor results. 

I'd expect the  players to back any Irish manager under pressure but it was still very decent of McGoldrick to speak so glowingly of Kenny and his staff which gives us some indication of how the players might view him. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by SeanyL SeanyL wrote:

Lets be honest, this is only an issue because of our results in the last eight games. If that form continues I imagine it will become more of an issue in some peoples eyes. Five points from our first three games and it will all be forgotten about.

Exactly its all a load of horse manure. We've all heard him speak. He may mumble a little here and there but dont give me this mullarkey that he cant get his point accross to the players. Hes not speaking a new language. Its makes me mad to hear this been thrown around. Its ridiculous.
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:53pm

much of kenny's supposed difficulty with speaking to media seems to boil down to his dublin accent and vernacular for many people, im not sure this is a relevant criticism. would a spanish or italian manager for example get this criticism for being from a working class background? they wouldn't, because none of us would even realise that they are, the same way as most non irish would not know the difference between working and middle class irish accents and colloquial speech

Serious nonsense. I'd be offended if you thought that a Dublin accent/vernacular makes you sound like that. As mentioned, the list of working class Dubs who speak well is endless.

It's reasonable to think that not being able to articulate yourself in one instance would translate elsewhere, but I'm happy to assume that's not the case. No witch hunt/ anti-Dublin (self-hating) bias/ anti LoI sentiment - It's just a statement of fact: he's not a good orator.
<insert witty comment>
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 2:17am
There are some really odd fish out there
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 5:26am
Some odd fish get seriously worked up about even the mildest of criticism of Kenny... I fully support him; been happy with what he has tried to do and consider him unlucky with injuries etc. Relax the fuk
<insert witty comment>
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 6:27am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Anyone with a clue as to Kenny's current thinking? Will he do anything new, different? Seven absolute shockers from eight games (ok against Slovakia) and one goal. We go into the WC qualifiers soon with zero reasons for confidence, even against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. Yes, our talent pool is shallow and 2020 was a traumatic year, but the Irish team's performances under Kenny have been a national embarrassment. 

He rang me up the other day to say that he was kinda hoping lads like yourself with post hp a few ideas here on Ybig and that he was kinda disappointed that there wasnt more idea on here of late but he is hoping with lockdown lads may have more time on their hands.  Other than that he is all out of ideas other than maybe Duffy as a centre forward to get a bit of confidence 
AKA pedantic kunt
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 7:06am

Anyone with a clue as to Kenny's current thinking? Will he do anything new, different? Seven absolute shockers from eight games (ok against Slovakia) and one goal. We go into the WC qualifiers soon with zero reasons for confidence, even against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. Yes, our talent pool is shallow and 2020 was a traumatic year, but the Irish team's performances under Kenny have been a national embarrassment. 

It’s shocking when you consider the football we played before.
Under MON many pundits compared us to the 1982 Brazil team. 

The last performance away to Georgia was a combination of Brazil 1982 and TOTAL football the Ajax way. Football fans the world over were in awe how we played that day. Irish fans actually cried during the match as they couldn’t believe what they were seeing.

Kenny will never be able to get this team playing football like that. 

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 9:52am

The revisionism didn't take long.
They weren't "seven shockers".
We played well in some of the games for long periods and in all of the games for some periods.

We fell short by failing to score (what's new) but our overall play was decent, progressive and positive, despite seismic and unprecedented squad disturbances.

Many fans here know what they saw and it wasn't what you described.

"National embarrassment"...I'll leave that there.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 1:04pm

He rang me last night. It's looking like this:

Randolph
Coleman--O'Shea--Egan--Stevens
Knight--Cullen--Hendrick
Robinson--Connolly--Brady

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 1:22pm
I bumped into SK earlier in the local Mace, had a brief chat about the football as we lined up at the deli counter getting our breakfast rolls, took him a little bit of time to make his mind up but in the end he settled with 1 egg 3 rashers 4 sausages and 3 puddings and got 5 hash browns in a bag just in case, surprisingly no red sauce, he did say he monitors the site for new ideas but did point out he thought that the brick had made a spelling error in the first letter of his second name (brick), he did say he will contact the site for further pointers nearer the next game in March though.
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

I bumped into SK earlier in the local Mace, had a brief chat about the football as we lined up at the deli counter getting our breakfast rolls, took him a little bit of time to make his mind up but in the end he settled with 1 egg 3 rashers 4 sausages and 3 puddings and got 5 hash browns in a bag just in case, surprisingly no red sauce, he did say he monitors the site for new ideas but did point out he thought that the brick had made a spelling error in the first letter of his second name (brick), he did say he will contact the site for further pointers nearer the next game in March though.

LOL
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 190191192193194 735>
  Share Topic