You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:37am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

It's my first hand knowledge. SK is a gentleman who has a great attitude and enthusiasm for the game and certainly an excellent tactician who knows the technical side of the game inside out.
What let's him down big time is his communication skills or lack of and this unfortunately will be his downfall unless somehow he addresses it.
I hope he does succeed as he deserves success. Im not just talking about communication with press but within team and team talks etc. 

That dosent add up for me. Hes hardly speaking in japanese to the players. Sure look at Trap, Bielsa or half the mangers around the world who dont speak much english even. Do the cypriots know what Mick is saying? I could take hes a sh*te manager line but not hes not a great communicator. Dont buy that.

I do....because believe me players look for the smallest weakness in a new manager...if he’s unable to get his point across then that will be a topic to mock him within the group,which will spread to a lack of respect/players not taken him seriously and then it’s a downward spiral.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 4:58am

It's my first hand knowledge. SK is a gentleman who has a great attitude and enthusiasm for the game and certainly an excellent tactician who knows the technical side of the game inside out.
What let's him down big time is his communication skills or lack of and this unfortunately will be his downfall unless somehow he addresses it.
I hope he does succeed as he deserves success. Im not just talking about communication with press but within team and team talks etc. 

First hand knowledge?  So you have played under Kenny or are currently playing or working under Kenny ? 
AKA pedantic kunt
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 5:22am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Kenny saying that Alan Kelly definitely did not complain about the video content. Called him out by name which is pretty definitive 

If we're still working off the idea that one person complained and another leaked it, I wouldn't say Kelly is in the clear yet. Kenny said that Kelly "definitely did not voice concern" about the content of the video, but did he leak it?

As others have said, it'll all become obvious in March.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 7:10am
I have always thought Kenny would struggle due to his career track record and the level he has been at. Modern day players have terrible attitudes and the worry was always they wouldn't respect him, or buy into his ideas.

I hope I am wrong, but feel he was always up against it from day one. An away win in Lisbon MD1 will put all this to bed anyway.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Kenny definitely  needs professional help with the media. Listening to some of his interviews is painful. No one expects Obama-style oration but more ease of expression, brevity and message clarity would serve  him well, especially with his results to date. 

This point of view always makes me laugh. Our last two managers were Trap and Martin O’Neill!

I suppose the major difference is that nobody doubted their pedigree

Edited by DeclanDaly - 08 Dec 2020 at 12:41pm
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:55pm
kenny speaks in a really noncommital way to the media, which is exactly how a pr person would tell a person in the spotlight to speak. say lots but really dont say anything, its the way of most politicians and industry leaders
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:26pm

That dosent add up for me. Hes hardly speaking in japanese to the players. Sure look at Trap, Bielsa or half the mangers around the world who dont speak much english even. Do the cypriots know what Mick is saying? I could take hes a sh*te manager line but not hes not a great communicator. Dont buy that.
Trapattoni is a legend of the game

Bielsa is a modern legend of the game, one of the most influential coaches of all time if not one of the greatest in terms of achievement - for down and out Leeds to get him was a massive coup which energised the whole club and city immediately

Both automatically carry immense authority 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

kenny speaks in a really noncommital way to the media, which is exactly how a pr person would tell a person in the spotlight to speak. say lots but really dont say anything, its the way of most politicians and industry leaders
It's not what you say, it's the way that you say it

And it's about who you are

The rules are different for Kenny than they were for Trapattoni or Martin O'Neill
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The rules are different for Kenny than they were for Trapattoni or Martin O'Neill

so you believe in style over substance then? the rules are not different, you just think they are because of how you view kenny. you are taking your own idea and imagining all other people see the world the same as you, this is not the truth of it
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

I have always thought Kenny would struggle due to his career track record and the level he has been at. Modern day players have terrible attitudes and the worry was always they wouldn't respect him, or buy into his ideas.
A few have, but they typically don't last - see eg Adel Taraabt, Mario Balotelli or Marcus Edwards, all supremely talented, yet currently slumming it at a much lower level than their ability deserves.

Whilst their equivalents from years back - eg Worthington, Marsh, Bowles, Adams etc - still managed to carry on in the top division whilst pissing about at the same time. And taking it up a level to the true greats, Maradona and Best were nowhere near so professional as eg Ronaldo or Messi.

As I see it, with all the money and fame in the game today, the competition to get the top is greater than ever, meaning that only the most professional of players are guaranteed to make it to the top and stay there. (The smokers and drinkers you used to see are now being replaced with vegans and gym addicts).

And part of their professionalism is that having been exposed to ultra-professional coaching and management at their clubs, if they're not receiving the same from their international set-up, then they're less prepared to accept the disruption international games cause for their club careers.

Which will be the challenge for Kenny - he will have to prove he's up to the standards the players are used to with their clubs if they're to buy into his management. Time will tell whether he's eg a Brian Kerr or a Michael O'Neill.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 3:26pm

Bielsa is a modern legend of the game, one of the most influential coaches of all time if not one of the greatest in terms of achievement - for down and out Leeds to get him was a massive coup which energised the whole club and city immediately

maybe if kenny spoke spanish to them waving his arms around yelling at an interpreter they may pay more attention so? 
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 3:34pm
There's a lot of speculative comment on Kenny's management on here.
Maybe some of these people are in the know.

But the quotes from McGoldrick are quite strong. Some will say he's just being polite, but they are at least first hand from someone who was in the training sessions and dressing room.

"I had sleepless nights when I had to tell the manager, it was really tough. He's a really, really good manager and a top man.

"I didn't think I had the right to state my retirement but he wanted me to put it out there. I just wanted to go away quietly, but the man he is, he wanted me to state it.

"It was a bit of an ordeal for me to come out and say 'I'm officially retiring', because I didn't think I had that right. It was a tough decision.

"Stephen's a really good manager, and the coaching staff of Duffer and Keith Andrews, they are - and I'm not just saying it - two of the best coaches I've worked under. Their ideas, their voices, all the boys love working for the manager and the staff. I think, like with us [United], a good result would be massive."

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

maybe if kenny spoke spanish to them waving his arms around yelling at an interpreter they may pay more attention so? 
I'd just prefer if he didn't speak like the Frank Stapleton Apres Match character
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:12pm

so you believe in style over substance then? the rules are not different, you just think they are because of how you view kenny. you are taking your own idea and imagining all other people see the world the same as you, this is not the truth of it
The rules very much are different depending on who you are

And anyway, interviews are not a place for substance, the training ground and the pitch are the places for that

Interviews are a place for a manager to do the minimum necessary in a boring, PR friendly fashion that nobody even notices, and not come across as somebody completely out of their depth

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:20pm
love proud to expand in the first hand knowledge which logically means he has either worked under Kenny previously or is currently working under Kenny. 
AKA pedantic kunt
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

love proud to expand in the first hand knowledge which logically means he has either worked under Kenny previously or is currently working under Kenny. 

Hes the mole....Ermm
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 4:26am
As much as I like his approach and support him, there's no denying the press conferences are brutal. Even when he's trying to make a point, rather than deflect, he ends up on a tangent answering a different question. Throw in a serious case of the "ye know"s and it makes for difficult listening.

I'm assuming it's just general awkwardness/stiltedness in front of the press, but if it reflects his day-to-day (training ground etc) communication, it's got to be a considerable impediment ye know.

Edited by Beavis - 09 Dec 2020 at 4:27am
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 7:59am
much of kenny's supposed difficulty with speaking to media seems to boil down to his dublin accent and vernacular for many people, im not sure this is a relevant criticism. would a spanish or italian manager for example get this criticism for being from a working class background? they wouldn't, because none of us would even realise that they are, the same way as most non irish would not know the difference between working and middle class irish accents and colloquial speech
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 735>
  Share Topic