FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 447448449450451 737>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

As much as I'd like him to succeed, I see that as the most likely outcome. I mentioned it a few months ago but if that's his legacy then it's not a bad one to have, like the managers who laid the groundwork at Wales.

The worry though is the pressure from the media will be to pump for Big Sam or Neil Lennon (or even Roy Keane) as a replacement for Kenny, and that's going to do nothing for us either. We'll be back to 10 behind the ball and trying  to knick the odd result here and there (I don't think we'd even achieve that with the current squad). It might get us to a Euros via the playoffs at a push if we're lucky,  but a World Cup in the next 10 years at least is a pipe dream.

We need to be realistic about A) How attractive the senior international Irish job is & B) Finances that would attract a half way decent alternative are not available to us. 

I'm still of the opinion that we should stick with Kenny for the next Euro campaign. I think the Covid factor, the massive turn over of players in a short space of time and the level most of our players are at (if they're getting any game time at all), is not being factored in here by most. There is no quick fix to our problems.

In saying all that, I fully expect him to be sacked in the Autumn. One more bad result and the weight of pressure from the media on the FAI to sack him will be too much for them to ignore.

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 1:24pm
As much as I'd like him to succeed, I see that as the most likely outcome. I mentioned it a few months ago but if that's his legacy then it's not a bad one to have, like the managers who laid the groundwork at Wales.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Is an end of season friendly a must win game? 

Not really but when you consider he has 0 wins in 10 and just lost at home against a side considered as minnows. 

If he can't beat Andorra, he shouldn't really be in the job.

A win will be good for morale if anything.

Look he has only got until November the way i see it as i can't see how he can be keep on after that , he should have gone after the Lux game .
I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually gets another contract as Ireland manager and the reaction on here from you and others will be priceless when that happens 😀😀😀😀😀

One thing that could very well happen, is that Kenny will bring through all these players but the results will go against him. He won't get his contract renewed and another manager will take over and reap the benefit of this 2 year bedding in period. 

A lot of these players will have 2/3 years international experience and will be the better for it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Luxembourg wasn’t even a surprise. It baffles me that people can’t accept that we’re not very good at the moment. 

That's Kenny's doing. No one else's.

We had a strong enough team out to beat them, but it's not only the Luxembourg game. We've played some mediocre opposition and we've failed to beat them with a lot of under whelming performances.

For his own sake, he needs to start winning games.

That's the bottom line HB as the manager carries the can in good times and bad .

With the players he has , he picks the side and sets out how he wants the team to play . In ways he has been very unlucky with the team we have at the moment but in others way i think the Fans would have told him what most think of him here in Ireland at the end of the Luxembourg game , i think the FAI would have been in no doubts about that one .

Now will he be given an other contract , well when you talk about the FAI anything can happen but when he does go i can only see a LOI team wanting to take him on and that's tells all you want to know about his standard in football at the moment .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:18am
And he needs to be following a win up with a good performance against Hungary
It would damage this forums' reputation
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:17am
This is about as much of a must win game as your likely to get it's bloody Andorra LOL. Kenny hasn't won a game yet. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Reality check - the team is s#1t 

To be fair I think everyone knows at this stage that the team is sh*t. The problem is that Kenny is setting them up to try and play like they're Manchester City or PSG. Which is crazy because we obviously do not have the players to play that way.

You only have to look at the Nordies in recent years to see that, when your team is sh*t, you have to set up to be solid at the back first and foremost and then play in a way that allows some chances to be created at the other end. That doesn't have to be constant Route 1, there is a middle ground that can be found in terms of style of play, but setting the team up like City or PSG or whoever isn't going to achieve anything with the players we have and it needs to stop.

If that setup is all he has to offer he'd be as well to go now because things aren't going to get any better playing that way with the players we have. We're sh*t, but we're still good enough to beat Luxembourg if we're set up properly. From what I've seen Kenny isn't able to adapt to that and should therefore be moved on, no later than the end of this campaign (and ideally sooner).
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 7:34am

Luxembourg wasn’t even a surprise. It baffles me that people can’t accept that we’re not very good at the moment. 

That's Kenny's doing. No one else's.

We had a strong enough team out to beat them, but it's not only the Luxembourg game. We've played some mediocre opposition and we've failed to beat them with a lot of under whelming performances.

For his own sake, he needs to start winning games.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 7:32am
Or that our players barely play club football, which was especially noticeable when they couldn't follow up a decent performance with another one.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 12:51am

This 100%. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 11:29pm
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 11:05pm
I'd be very supportive of Kenny but the Luxembourg defeat can't be ignored. It was catastrophic and an even bigger psychological blow than missing out on the EUROs imo. 

He needs a drastic improvement in not only performances but more importantly results. 

If we finish 4th in this group, I think his position will be untenable tbh. 

I'd say a comfortable 3rd place finish would see him given another campaign. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 10:51pm
People have been out for Kenny before the ball was ever kicked, after two games there were already calls for him to be replaced.

It seems to be completely forgotten that the end of the O'Neil tenure ireland looked brutal, mccarthy came in and tried his best to get something out of the ageing players but performances and results were still brutal.

Had Kenny inherited an OK squad I'd say the results so far would have gotten him sacked. But the state of the team is not of kennys doing, its years in the making.

The team needed drastic change and Kenny is making those changes. 12 months ago people would argue the Glenn Whelan was our best performer. Now he's been released by Fleetwood.

Reality check - the team is s#1t 
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

It is not a must win game for Ireland. The knives will be out for Kenny regardless of the result.

Would be fine if any of those folks with knives, pitchforks and flaming torches had any notions of what we would do post-Kenny.

We'd still have the same mediocre squad and get the same mediocre results.

I accept Luxembourg was a poor result in any light but apart from that we have done about as well as could be expected with this squad, decimated as it was for every window by injuries, Covid and whatnot.
Maybe another manager would park the bus and hoof it away at every opportunity, and not just versus top seeds...but versus teams as mediocre as Georgia and their ilk.

I hope and expect that results and performances will improve but it's a long way back to anything resembling the glory days, if ever we get there.

Well said

I'm all for given Kenny the campaign but surely we can't get lower than getting beat by Luxembourg at home post Kenny. 

It really frustrates me that we have this attitude. It isn't fans responsibility to offer up managerial candidates that would be better.

Kenny may give a lot of players an opportunity and lay the ground work for a future manager. You dont necessarily have to go back to MON/Trap football, we might have another progressive coach which becomes available and might not be overly more expensive than Kenny.

Acceptance of bad results is a bad mindset. No matter how weak we are or how much of transition we are in. 
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

It is not a must win game for Ireland. The knives will be out for Kenny regardless of the result.

Would be fine if any of those folks with knives, pitchforks and flaming torches had any notions of what we would do post-Kenny.

I accept Luxembourg was a poor result in any light but apart from that we have done about as well as could be expected with this squad, decimated as it was for every window by injuries, Covid and whatnot.
Maybe another manager would park the bus and hoof it away at every opportunity, and not just versus top seeds...but versus teams as mediocre as Georgia and their ilk.

I hope and expect that results and performances will improve but it's a long way back to anything resembling the glory days, if ever we get there.

Well said
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 8:28pm

Edited by Fozz - 25 May 2021 at 8:29pm
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 8:04pm
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 7:52pm
the money the failures are paying is a disgrace anyway, he should absolutely not be on any more than when he started.we are at best  a fourth rate country paying wages unmatched except by the big guns.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 447448449450451 737>
  Share Topic