FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 697698699700701 737>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

How many of our managers (bar Trap, and that didn't count for much..) have had a CV built "at the top level"? McCarthy is a Championship/lower Premier League manager throughout his career, MON a mid-PL manager, etc. Not exactly "the highest level"...

MON was crucial in establishing Leicester during their second spell in the PL, he then turned the tide in Scotland and guided Celtic to a European Final. McCarthy won the Championship twice , and buttressed Wolves in the PL for several years, and that doesn’t count his first six years in the Irish job. Both had good CVs.

And Kenny took Dundalk to the Europa League Group stages (and actually made them competitive within that competition, unlike Michael O'Neill before him with Shams). That is certainly a more impressive achievement than McCarthy has, and up there with MON's. That's without even mentioning that Kenny has recently transformed the fortunes of our long-suffering U-21's in virtually the blink of an eye...
O Shea it’s very unfair  on McCarthy to say  his achievements are worse than Kenny’s.
He got us to the last 16 of a World Cup to me that’s better than anything Kenny has done.
Kenny also has been blessed with one of the bests under 21 teams we have every had who had being doing well all the way up the age groups it’s not as if he transformed them from also fans to where they are now.

I’m no McCarthy fan I just think you are being unfair on him
Sponsored Links

Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 12:20pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

How many of our managers (bar Trap, and that didn't count for much..) have had a CV built "at the top level"? McCarthy is a Championship/lower Premier League manager throughout his career, MON a mid-PL manager, etc. Not exactly "the highest level"...

MON was crucial in establishing Leicester during their second spell in the PL, he then turned the tide in Scotland and guided Celtic to a European Final. McCarthy won the Championship twice , and buttressed Wolves in the PL for several years, and that doesn’t count his first six years in the Irish job. Both had good CVs.

And Kenny took Dundalk to the Europa League Group stages (and actually made them competitive within that competition, unlike Michael O'Neill before him with Shams). That is certainly a more impressive achievement than McCarthy has, and up there with MON's. That's without even mentioning that Kenny has recently transformed the fortunes of our long-suffering U-21's in virtually the blink of an eye...
We're decent enough..
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Gary Breen came across as OTT in defence of Mick on Off The Ball. He was fairly argumentative and had a go at Damien Delaney for suggesting that there wasn't a big improvement in terms of organisation from the MON era.

The discussion takes place about 30 mins into this segment. 

link not taking you directly to podcast. which one is it? 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 12:16pm
Players do live under a rock.

They'll know a new manager is coming in and would have just managed Ireland u21 and Dundalk, they'd know very little else about him.

All the previous managers would have been a lot more high profile and have a lot more media exposure.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

not really surprised if it's true, some players didn't know who Kerr was when he took over
that was 18 years ago... no internet and media 'web' frenzy when anouncements are made.. as was said above if a player doesnt know who kenny is they are living under a rock...
as for proving something its unfortunate that he has to but thats football  and people dont rate LOI managers.. if he draws as many games as mick well he hasnt done too bad and actually beat a team better than georgia would be an improvement.. and i dont remember trap actually winning a game against a higher ranked team either... 
kenny talks to much though Angry
Come on Irelind
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 11:31am
not really surprised if it's true, some players didn't know who Kerr was when he took over
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 11:20am
I would be seriously worried about the mentality of any player who hasn't researched Stephen Kenny in the last 18 months and who hasn't kept tabs on the Ireland under-21 team. This is going to be your next senior manager for jaysus sake.

Any player in the dark about Kenny at this stage says more about the player.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 11:15am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Richard Dunne & Gary Been criticising the appointment of Kenny  give him a chance FFS 

Did you even read the article? Dunne did nothing of the sort
The bit I read was in The Derry Journal saying that Dunne had said that a lot of the Ireland senior players did not know who Kenny was and Breen had said Kenny had a lot to prove. 

Maybe the Derry Journal have their own agenda? 

Personally, I'm happy with the Kenny appointment.

I would say a lot of the non Irish born players may not know who Kenny is.

And Kenny does have a lot of prove.

Really? It was announced in 2018 that Kenny was taking over, that's almost 18 months ago.
It's not as if it's big breaking news

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 11:05am

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 10:56am
We're decent enough..
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 10:31am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Richard Dunne & Gary Been criticising the appointment of Kenny  give him a chance FFS 

The bit I read was in The Derry Journal saying that Dunne had said that a lot of the Ireland senior players did not know who Kenny was and Breen had said Kenny had a lot to prove. 

Agree with this. I'm keen to see someone try something new though. 
El Puto Amo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 10:29am

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 10:28am
jesus it was a good debate.  No harm in any of it.  Both made good and bad points. 
AKA pedantic kunt
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 10:27am

Gary Breen came across as OTT in defence of Mick on Off The Ball. He was fairly argumentative and had a go at Damien Delaney for suggesting that there wasn't a big improvement in terms of organisation from the MON era.

The discussion takes place about 30 mins into this segment. 

Edited by MC Hammered - 07 Apr 2020 at 10:28am
El Puto Amo
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 10:11am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Yeah i didnt think he did either LOL

It was a page of nonsense but he didnt criticise the appointment ffs LOL
I read the article before I knew who wrote it, I couldn’t believe how bad it was till I saw the author 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:57am

Edited by Double Maxim - 07 Apr 2020 at 10:02am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:53am

Yeah i didnt think he did either LOL

It was a page of nonsense but he didnt criticise the appointment ffs LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 697698699700701 737>
  Share Topic