You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Censorship is alive and well

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

is the lad with the bell same chap that does go every St Pats game and stands on tarmac side?

It's a different person, AFAIK.
Yes defo different 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Sponsored Links

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by d-mac d-mac wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Between the flags confiscated and the lad with the bell trying to drown out the anti fai and Delaney chants, no free speech for Irish football fans 

Serious question - Whats the story with the bell in the aviva? Why do they ring it?

It's a supporter. He's been ringing that damn bell for years. 
Well that coont should no longer be cheered but fookin booed 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:19pm
He’s Davey Keogh’s buddy enough said🤮🤮
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

He’s Davey Keogh’s buddy enough said🤮🤮

Is it the old guy that always has the hat with the pins on? He's sound but I agree that the bell should be boo'd everytime it's rattled! 

We should all get in 45 mins early to one of the upcoming games for anti-delaney chants
Here we go again
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:14pm
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 4:14pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 4:14pm
Don't think it is fair to mention Mr Keogh just because his mate rings a bell, he isn't on here (as far as I know) to defend his views and personally, I've never seen DK put in or out on anyone during an away trip, the man mainly minds his own business. 

I'd have an issue with the 'independence' of SC's in general, as their close relationship with the FAI automatically means that independence is compromised when it comes to issues like this. As regards confiscating the flags, maybe someone in the FAI (and once again gents, if you are reading this, good afternoon etc) should google 'Streisand Effect'. There is far more negative publicity in the confiscation of the flags than there would be had they let them in. As Pipkin pointed out earlier on, the flag was on display at the end of the Poland friendly & got no traction whatsoever, anywhere. Today, the main radio talkshow in the country is using an interview excerpt from Zeno as a promotional jingle/intro type thing.  

The protests at the game, fair play to the lads, they kept it up for the majority of the game. Any of us should be entitled to express negative views on either the rubbish football, or the failures of administration that directly lead to that situation, in my opinion.  Had a good view (of the Irish fans) at the back of lower section in Denmark, and while I personally don't agree with the bell ringer chap (thought his arm might fall off at one point)- those lads were not the only ones who didn't agree with the chanting at the game. 

2 lads in front of me, who I think were travelling together/mates had a very civil discussion during the game re the chants, one lad was joining in with the chants, his mate was silent, arms folded, stating we are only there to support the team. The singing chap had a different point of view. Some of the older fans I know & spoke to at the game didn't agree with it either, and that wasn't because they were pro JD or FAI or SC members. Maybe those buckos have a simplistic view, but they are entitled to it too. 

Anyway, in general, it's sh*te to see a division in Irish fans, hopefully the appointment of a new manager will take that away, even if only temporarily, for the new campaign, but tis unrealistic to expect that many people to have a uniform opinion on anything at all. JD/FAI will always have a core support whether anyone likes it or not, there will also be a certain number of fans who don't agree with negative chanting, regardless of the situation. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

https://www.change.org/p/football-association-of-ireland-remove-john-delaney-as-head-of-the-fai/psf/share?source_location=petition_show&psf_variant=combo

That's gaining a lot of traction. If it hits 10k the media will hopefully cover it. 

1500 when I saw it yesterday, up to 6,000 +. 
If it hits 50,000 then pass it onto Shane 'what do I actually do' Ross LOL LOL LOL LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

https://www.change.org/p/football-association-of-ireland-remove-john-delaney-as-head-of-the-fai/psf/share?source_location=petition_show&psf_variant=combo

That's gaining a lot of traction. If it hits 10k the media will hopefully cover it. 

1500 when I saw it yesterday, up to 6,000 +. 
If it hits 50,000 then pass it onto Shane 'what do I actually do' Ross LOL LOL LOL LOL

Shane Ross another clown. He's probably pals with JD
GreenArmy! View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 1:49am
Let me start by saying I would love nothing more than to wake up tomorrow and hear that Delaney is no longer our CEO.

Saying that, get a f*cking grip lads.
Booing "the lad who rings the bell" and giving out because of who he hangs around with is nonsensical. Im fed up with Delaney's reign just as much as the next man but what I'm also fed up with is fans turning on other fans over minor incidents.

Aside from the fact that I actually know "the lad with the bell" personally and he has been going for donkeys years the point has to be made that he is entitled to his opinion just as much as we are.

The point I made after the game in Aarhus is if a big group of lads started singing pro-Delaney songs you'd be sure as sh*t that we'd try and drown them out too.

Dont lose sight of the enemy lads. Its Delaney, not our fellow fans.
Podge-SFC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Podge-SFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:20am
The most logical/effective form of protest would be to target the upcoming draw for the Euros in the convention centre. A simple banner draped along the opposite bank of the Liffey could be enough to cause a stir. 

Much to the embarrassment of Delaney in front of his UEFA cronies!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by GreenArmy! GreenArmy! wrote:

Let me start by saying I would love nothing more than to wake up tomorrow and hear that Delaney is no longer our CEO.

Booing "the lad who rings the bell" and giving out because of who he hangs around with is nonsensical. Im fed up with Delaney's reign just as much as the next man but what I'm also fed up with is fans turning on other fans over minor incidents.

Aside from the fact that I actually know "the lad with the bell" personally and he has been going for donkeys years the point has to be made that he is entitled to his opinion just as much as we are.

The point I made after the game in Aarhus is if a big group of lads started singing pro-Delaney songs you'd be sure as sh*t that we'd try and drown them out too.

Good post lad, Deise too as always.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Podge-SFC Podge-SFC wrote:

The most logical/effective form of protest would be to target the upcoming draw for the Euros in the convention centre. A simple banner draped along the opposite bank of the Liffey could be enough to cause a stir. 

Theres a WhatsApp group set up with about 200 people in it. Huge things planned I hear. A few lads work beside the convention centre,and are planning on hanging flags out windows. Another lad has a boat and will have it on the Liffey with flags and megaphone. Some great ideas being put forward that will be in full eyes of the worlds media
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Theres a WhatsApp group set up with about 200 people in it. Huge things planned I hear. A few lads work beside the convention centre,and are planning on hanging flags out windows. Another lad has a boat and will have it on the Liffey with flags and megaphone. Some great ideas being put forward that will be in full eyes of the worlds media

Which the FAI now know about Thumbs Up

Good job Clap
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 11:20am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

must say some great idea's in that group BSM. the banners in surrounding hotels etc that delegates will be staying in is a great idea. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Don't think it is fair to mention Mr Keogh just because his mate rings a bell, he isn't on here (as far as I know) to defend his views and personally, I've never seen DK put in or out on anyone during an away trip, the man mainly minds his own business. 

I'd have an issue with the 'independence' of SC's in general, as their close relationship with the FAI automatically means that independence is compromised when it comes to issues like this. As regards confiscating the flags, maybe someone in the FAI (and once again gents, if you are reading this, good afternoon etc) should google 'Streisand Effect'. There is far more negative publicity in the confiscation of the flags than there would be had they let them in. As Pipkin pointed out earlier on, the flag was on display at the end of the Poland friendly & got no traction whatsoever, anywhere. Today, the main radio talkshow in the country is using an interview excerpt from Zeno as a promotional jingle/intro type thing.  

The protests at the game, fair play to the lads, they kept it up for the majority of the game. Any of us should be entitled to express negative views on either the rubbish football, or the failures of administration that directly lead to that situation, in my opinion.  Had a good view (of the Irish fans) at the back of lower section in Denmark, and while I personally don't agree with the bell ringer chap (thought his arm might fall off at one point)- those lads were not the only ones who didn't agree with the chanting at the game. 

2 lads in front of me, who I think were travelling together/mates had a very civil discussion during the game re the chants, one lad was joining in with the chants, his mate was silent, arms folded, stating we are only there to support the team. The singing chap had a different point of view. Some of the older fans I know & spoke to at the game didn't agree with it either, and that wasn't because they were pro JD or FAI or SC members. Maybe those buckos have a simplistic view, but they are entitled to it too. 

Anyway, in general, it's sh*te to see a division in Irish fans, hopefully the appointment of a new manager will take that away, even if only temporarily, for the new campaign, but tis unrealistic to expect that many people to have a uniform opinion on anything at all. JD/FAI will always have a core support whether anyone likes it or not, there will also be a certain number of fans who don't agree with negative chanting, regardless of the situation. 

Could easily have been me and Charlton's Child : you obviously missed the bit where we eventually agreed I was right !!!! LOL

Seriously though, everybody should have the right to protest within the law and everybody should have the right to not protest and not have that held against them if they don't. 

I do get annoyed by people who don't protest because they think JD is doing a good job or he has looked after them in some way in the past for that's a different argument. 

Edited by Borussia - 22 Nov 2018 at 1:15pm
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 2:15pm
The FAI confiscating banners is way out of order. I wonder if its even legal. Fans are entitled to legitimate protest and the flag could never be classed as offensive by any reasonable person. 

If you want to look for offensive you could start with the “James McClean hates the f*****g queen” chant.  Apart from the challenge of singing it without sounding like a complete moron, we are attributing hatred of a 90 plus great grandmother to a player who has enough on his plate already. He should at least be asked. 

As for the split in the fans, I found Monday fairly depressing.  In all the years I am at this, through good times and bad,  I always felt that the team came first and that the reason we were there was to give them as much support as possible. You can hardly criticise a player for lack of effort if you don’t put in a shift yourself. All the other stuff, getting away with your mates, the pints, seeing foreign cities, was a bonus. 

I have no time at all for Delaney and his gang, and a good protest is fine by me and well warranted given the state of Irish football, but on Monday it went on so long that it became self indulgent and seemed more important than what was happening on the pitch. Shouting down those people trying to get behind their team is not on.  And as for those “supporters” chanting “we’re sh*te” (apparently unaware of the irony) while the game was going on, enough said. 

A protest at the draw sounds much more interesting or perhaps at the 13th minute to “celebrate” each year of our beloved leader’s reign. 

Hopefully a new manager will get us back on track, on the pitch and in the stand at least.

Edited by Ecumenical Matter - 22 Nov 2018 at 2:44pm
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by GreenArmy! GreenArmy! wrote:

While I don't see the point in booing the fella he did roar abuse at a bunch of us in 114 after a game for singing anti-Delaney/FAI chants, said we were a disgrace and ruined the game for everyone, I presume he's one of JD's butt monkeys....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic