You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam Idah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 100>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I thought he did well as the lone striker over the two matches and took his peno well.
We have to remember he was poor in Greece before tho but he got his first goal against Gibraltar which got his first goal monkey of his back.
Qualifying  for tournaments is all about having a good squad, Ferguson is not always going to be available throught injury/suspension nor is he going to be playing full 90 minutes in 2 or 3 match international windows either so Idah is a good option to replace Ferguson of the bench. 
We can expect Idah to be Ferguson because Ferguson just as that extra quality. If Idah can stay injury free I think he will mature into a good all round lone striker for us, he has good attributes there already and he is improving. He just needs to work on his body positioning and decision-making in the box to improve his goal scoring chances. He should look at some of Shearer's goals back in the day, especially the ones where he had his back to goal but he had a great quick turn and shot that got him a load of goals. There was a few times during the Dutch match where Idah had the ball in the box with his back to goal where if he had it in his second nature to turn and shoot as soon as he got the ball he would have had a few good goal scoring chances.

He was excellent off the bench in the first game at home to France also. The performance vs Greece was imo a tactical issue caused by the stupid decision to play him and Ferguson as a pair (nobody played well in that game btw including Ferguson). The lad is gradually regaining his confidence after a prolonged spell of injuries and non-selection at his club, let's hope he continues on this positive trajectory.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 2:02pm
Yeah I thought he was pretty good against both France and Netherlands, caused some of the best defense in world football some real problems. 

Hes fantastic at holding up the ball and having tussle with defenders, hes good at dropping deep to help win the ball, hes good at making runs.

What needs a bit of work is his control and his situational awareness on the ball/attack, there were 2 of 3 instances last night where he should have been getting his shot away but ended up taking too many touches and/or passing it wide or dribbling to a wide area himself and killing all moment. He also got in the way of others a few times when they were going for the same balls / trying to get a shot.

Nothing that cant be worked on as a young striker with a good run of games.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 2:34pm
Two excellent games. He's clearly improving as a target-man. Just needs to be more of a threat in front of goal.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 2:39pm
How many shots has taken on goal? he just doesn't have that natural instinct a striker has if you ask me.

He put in a decent shift in both games and we can't fault him for that but he just lacks that quality.

Even in some of the previous games, he just doesn't really offer a goal threat to the opposition.

Edited by horsebox - 11 Sep 2023 at 2:39pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

How many shots has taken on goal? he just doesn't have that natural instinct a striker has if you ask me.

He put in a decent shift in both games and we can't fault him for that but he just lacks that quality.

Even in some of the previous games, he just doesn't really offer a goal threat to the opposition.

We don't really create chances, that's why.

He could maybe have turned and had a shot instead of laying it off to Ogbene. 

But tbf, Ogbene needed to be hitting it first time instead of taking a touch.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 2:44pm

In that system last night for example, he isn't really meant to be a goal threat though.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 2:53pm

He scored 23 goals in 46 underage internationals for Ireland from U16 level up, 5 in 12 at U21 level. He has struggled with form/selection/injury for quite a while now, but looks to be regaining some confidence. He has a goal involvement every 65 minutes this season and he has scored 2 in his last 3 internationals.

Lads can continue saying stuff, it doesnt make it true. He needs to stay fit and get a seasons worth of consistent games under his belt, if he can do that he will prove he is a good striker and a good finisher imo! It's a big "if" tbf given his record, but I'd imagine we are all behind him! He's not Evan Ferguson, but he can still be a very important player for us.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

We don't really create chances, that's why.

He could maybe have turned and had a shot instead of laying it off to Ogbene. 

But tbf, Ogbene needed to be hitting it first time instead of taking a touch.

This, if anybody isnt a natural finisher, it's Ogbene, much and all as I love him!
Idah Dream!
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Seems to be mixed thoughts on how he performed this window. I'm biased as he is from my area, but I thought he was decent. 

I think we only realised how well he was doing against the French defence when he went off. It was alarming how physically unable others were to go toe to toe with them.

Last night, I thought he had the beating of the Dutch defence any time it was played down the channels, but we criminally underused that strategy. He did, though, misconstrol a few balls at important times in the second half. Also, across the two games, he really should have gotten off a few shots. That's needed.

Lastly, though, even those who don't rate him must respect his cohones for stepping up to and dispatching that penalty. Shows he is made of the right stuff at least.

HE had a very good window, lads who are disputing that dont know their arse from their elbow imho. The lone striker role up against world class centre backs is one of the most difficult in football, he acquitted himself admirably, tremendous work rate and strength, challenged for everything and for me he has cemented that back up role to Ferguson.

Agree re the cojones to step up and take the peno, I can only imagine the reaction from some on here if he had missed it. Dont think he had a lot of opportunities to get strikes away over the two games, the one I remember vs France he was right not to take the low margin shot on his weaker side on. Generally I thought his decision making was better than Ogbene's over the two games. I like Cheo, who doesnt? but last night he had a great chance to put us 2-0 up, took a poor touch and the chance was gone - he had to hit that first time. On other occasions he let fly from near impossible angles or ran up blind allies. Some will still say he was far better than Adam, because flair or dribbling or something but he just wasnt!

I had Idah MotM last night tbh rather than Knight. Knight was great out of possession, he was everywhere, getting stuck in winning ball back etc which an Irish crowd love, but again like on Thursday night, he didnt really do much with the ball when he had it. I understand why he won it, but that's reflective of why we are where we are imo!

I think you are right to call out BS on the forum. Anyone who knows football can see he had two decent games over the window. Anyone who calls otherwise is clueless and probably has some sort of agenda. Last night he took & scored the penalty as well as being a handful for VVD. That’s rock solid in my book. The lack of logic in some of the posts here criticising the likes of Idah is frightening.

Edited by SeanC - 11 Sep 2023 at 3:16pm
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 3:21pm
I was impressed by Idah over the two games. The concern for me is that he seems to learning his stuff mainly at international level. If ever a player needs a season of regular club football under his belt it's Idah. I really think it would bring him on leaps and bounds. There's a decent player in there somewhere and hopefully more regular action at club level can help bring it out of him more consistently. 

A Ferguson / Idah front 2 has a lot of potential. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 3:23pm

He scored 23 goals in 46 underage internationals for Ireland from U16 level up, 5 in 12 at U21 level. He has struggled with form/selection/injury for quite a while now, but looks to be regaining some confidence. He has a goal involvement every 65 minutes this season and he has scored 2 in his last 3 internationals.

Lads can continue saying stuff, it doesnt make it true. He needs to stay fit and get a seasons worth of consistent games under his belt, if he can do that he will prove he is a good striker and a good finisher imo! It's a big "if" tbf given his record, but I'd imagine we are all behind him! He's not Evan Ferguson, but he can still be a very important player for us.
John, just because you're saying it or have a different opinion, doesn't make it true either. His underage record from U16s upwards is irelevant and the stat about a goal every 65mins does not hold any weight when you've only played approx. 200mins this season. Can you not just say he's scored 2 goals? 

Idah has some real good qualities and gives alot but a lot of people have the opinion that he hasn't got that end product(yet). Hopefully he can prove that opinion wrong. 

People have watched him and based on this, they're entitled to their opinion as much as you.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

I was impressed by Idah over the two games. The concern for me is that he seems to learning his stuff mainly at international level. If ever a player needs a season of regular club football under his belt it's Idah. I really think it would bring him on leaps and bounds. There's a decent player in there somewhere and hopefully more regular action at club level can help bring it out of him more consistently. 

A Ferguson / Idah front 2 has a lot of potential. 

I'm not sure Evan really needs a lad like Idah playing up alongside him, (didnt work at all in Greece) but as a rotation option when Ferguson tires and/or is injured, Idah certainly looks like a lad who can lead the line in his absence.

Evan/Idah alongside a fit and firing Obafemi would be interesting, we really havent got to see that yet, we maybe never will!
Idah Dream!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I thought he was excellent in both games, particularly last night. VVD struggled against him

Personally, I don't think VVD struggled against him. I think they had a good battle and Idah held his own. I think Portugal struggled with him. Whereas he did well to hold off VVD but VVD was so close to him and so big behind him that he could ensure that the touch or lay-off wasn't always pefect and that no turn was on. To be out in front and get a bit of control or a touch on it in those circumstances was admirable. 

I think he did well over the two games. Very well. Should be happy with his lot and lovely to get the goal.

As ever with him, the onus is to get back to the club and perform and score and stay fit. Being able to face VVD and scoring a peno should help the confidence. 

He is still only 22.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

John, just because you're saying it or have a different opinion, doesn't make it true either. His underage record from U16s upwards is irelevant and the stat about a goal every 65mins does not hold any weight when you've only played approx. 200mins this season. Can you not just say he's scored 2 goals? 

Idah has some real good qualities and gives alot but a lot of people have the opinion that he hasn't got that end product(yet). Hopefully he can prove that opinion wrong. 

People have watched him and based on this, they're entitled to their opinion as much as you.

Of course they are, as am I - I clearly disagree with them in this instance. Others can decide for themselves what they believe to be "true". I think his underage records speaks to his "natural instinct" and "quality", you clearly dont feel thats relevant, your prerogative my friend.
Idah Dream!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 3:38pm

Keith Treacy compared his chances last night with Thuram’s goal on Thursday. Both received the ball in similar positions with their back to goal. But Thurman‘s thought was to turn and shoot where Idah was trying to set others up. Attackers need to be taking that on themselves.

He did well in both games. There’s definite potential with him but he’s missed a lot of football through picking up injuries for whatever reason. He’d be a lot further along in his development if he had played more, which I think would result in him having scored more goals, at club level at least anyway.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Keith Treacy compared his chances last night with Thuram’s goal on Thursday. Both received the ball in similar positions with their back to goal. But Thurman‘s thought was to turn and shoot where Idah was trying to set others up. Attackers need to be taking that on themselves.

He did well in both games. There’s definite potential with him but he’s missed a lot of football through picking up injuries for whatever reason. He’d be a lot further along in his development if he had played more, which I think would result in him having scored more goals, at club level at least anyway.

Thuram is 4 years older and playing for Inter Milan and France, I'm not sure Keith has picked the best comparison. Idah needs to get more clinical,I don't think anyone would dispute that, but he performed as well as could possibly have been expected of a young Championship striker against two world class defences.
We're decent enough..
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 4:06pm
No self confident no 9 lays that ball off to Ogbene
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

No self confident no 9 lays that ball off to Ogbene

Unless they've been told to do it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 100>
  Share Topic