You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam Idah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 100>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 10:51am
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Don't think he can start for us with such little game time

Connolly out and Ogbene looks injured. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start. 
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 12:20pm
Idah will absolutely start against Portugal after his effort against them the last day. Would be mad not to. 

I hope the new manager coming in will help his plight or at least loan him out if he doesn't fancy him!
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

I watched the Norwich match yesterday,  he was only on the pitch for about 90 seconds but did exceptionally well in holding the ball up and maintaining possession and running down the clock. I find it strange that he wasn't  introduced earlier as Norwich were struggling to keep the ball for the last 20 mins.
Thought the same. He got the ball twice and done excellently with it both times. Especially the first when he drove to the corner, held it up and managed to then slip in a teammate 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

I watched the Norwich match yesterday,  he was only on the pitch for about 90 seconds but did exceptionally well in holding the ball up and maintaining possession and running down the clock. I find it strange that he wasn't  introduced earlier as Norwich were struggling to keep the ball for the last 20 mins.
Thought the same. He got the ball twice and done excellently with it both times. Especially the first when he drove to the corner, held it up and managed to then slip in a teammate 

It takes some very green tinted glasses to praise a player that came on in the 95th minute when everyone else put in a big shift and suggest he did really well for the 90seconds that remained because he held the ball up.

Theres nothing I've seen to suggest that when Idah goes on loan he won't struggle. I hate saying it and I hope im proved wrong but the guy has a long way to go.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

It takes some very green tinted glasses to praise a player that came on in the 95th minute when everyone else put in a big shift and suggest he did really well for the 90seconds that remained because he held the ball up.

Theres nothing I've seen to suggest that when Idah goes on loan he won't struggle. I hate saying it and I hope im proved wrong but the guy has a long way to go.

Totally agree. Lads we are making too much of a guy if we are praising a 90 second contribution at the end of a match. Green tinted glasses gone mad!

Idah may well be decent at holding up a ball but he's gonna have to do a hell of a lot more at Premier League and International level. Scoring goals will get him a run in both teams
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:42pm
thought he played well last night when introduced
connord96 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connord96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:46pm
Thought he was excellent when he came on. Looks a lot stronger than he was a year ago and capable of holding the ball up very well. Just lacks with the ball at his feet, seems to be very slow at releasing the ball after he shields off the defender. But surely that part of his game will come with time. 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 4:22pm
I'd agree wasn't dispelaeased he didn't start as I've liked the way McGrath has performed thus far. But Idah was far more involved in our attacks then McGrath was. 

It's good to have a few options to choose from. I'd say he has a good chance of starting against Luxembourg
It would damage this forums' reputation
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:20pm
i thought he was excellent… held the ball up very well and seemed to be well drilled with lay offs and one twos etc… the interplay down the right between himself and Ogbene which led to a portugal booking was very very impressive… neat little insight into the player he cud become!!!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

i thought he was excellent… held the ball up very well and seemed to be well drilled with lay offs and one twos etc… the interplay down the right between himself and Ogbene which led to a portugal booking was very very impressive… neat little insight into the player he cud become!!!

You've just described the basics and suggested it was excellent...
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

Agree with this big time.

Its not going to happen overnight for the lad, but you can see how much hes come on since he made his debut. Hes going to be a big player for us going forward, maybe not as a natural goal scorer, but we need lads like him who can hold the ball up and wont go missing.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:09pm
It's been really unfair putting so much pressure on Idah and it showed tonight that he simply isn't ready yet.

Idah will go on loan, struggle to start with, work hard and get better and will finally earn his place in the ireland team.

At the moment he's not there.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:55pm

It's been really unfair putting so much pressure on Idah and it showed tonight that he simply isn't ready yet.

Idah will go on loan, struggle to start with, work hard and get better and will finally earn his place in the ireland team.

At the moment he's not there.

Theres no argument that hes still raw and badly needs first team football but hes been incredibly effective in some games and completely no in others and that has been very little down to Idah and more to do with who we're playing and how the game as a while is going.

He was immense against Portugal away and was decent when he came on against them at home too but when hes up against a team like Luxembourg who stop us playing through the middle and force us out wide all Idah can do is feed off crosses into the box and for a big lad hes not a particularly good header of the ball.

Where as with Portugal away we were able to hit a fair few through balls and balls over the top to him where he had the space to run into get turned and hold up the ball for others to come into play as well as being able to turn and have a go himself with his back to goal.

Robinson looked the same tonight when he took up his central position when Knight came on.

Thing is Idah would have been there for Robinsons tap in and that could have done him the world of good for his confidence going forward.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:20pm
I understand what you're saying Bandwagon but I don't see why people think he was immense vs Portugal or any other team. Just my opinion of course but all I saw was a player holding up the ball well a few times and using his strength well in order to hold it up. 

I dont think he did anything more than that... he has about 13 caps now and very rarely threatened the goal. A few poor headers is all.

He's definitely got talent but has barely played men's football.

I think he's a long way off for me.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:45pm
The emergence of Ogbene, Robinson finding some goal scoring form & to an extent McGrath coming on the scene, has definitely taken a lot of pressure off not just Idah, but Connolly, Parrott & Obafemi.

If Will Keane can be half as useful as Ogbene & McGrath then he'll also help relieve that pressure to let those young lads just develop at club level until they're more ready.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:47pm
I wouldn't be too harsh on him, but I agree he's not ready for what he's being asked to do.  Could be another three or four years even if it happens for him, many target man strikers don't reach the level required until well into their 20s.

I think Robinson needs to play the central striker position for the next while - not that's he's ideal for the role either, but he's by a distance the best we have in that position at the moment.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:47pm

I understand what you're saying Bandwagon but I don't see why people think he was immense vs Portugal or any other team. Just my opinion of course but all I saw was a player holding up the ball well a few times and using his strength well in order to hold it up. 

I dont think he did anything more than that... he has about 13 caps now and very rarely threatened the goal. A few poor headers is all.

He's definitely got talent but has barely played men's football.

I think he's a long way off for me.

Well for the most part he has played that McGoldrick / Murphy role for us neither of which were exactly prolific with just 4 goals between them but they had a huge importance to the team and were big reason others around them scored goals.

I agree that hes not ready but we've literally nobody else that is at present, Parrott, Connolly, Obafemi would all struggle too. Long, Collins, Maguire etc.. at the other end of their careers and dont offer much more of a threat either. Also none of them have that same hold up attribute as Idah they're all different types of forward options.

I think we just need to be patient. Next year is a good year for our players to develop whoever is in charge. We should have 6 NL games + 4 friendlies before Euro 2024 qualifiers start in March 2022.

Thats 16 months away where players will have a chance to develop and emerge at club level.

Omobamidele, Collins, Bazunu, Knight and so on all emerged over a shorter period of time for us.

We just need one forward option to kick on.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:36am
Dean Smith I think is new manager, he is either part of his plans or hopefully he is loaned out to championship team. Idah needs game time badly

Edited by aviva8 - 15 Nov 2021 at 8:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 100>
  Share Topic