Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 62>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

Poland
Czech
Ireland
Estonia
Moldova
Latvia
5 great away trips 
Although we'd have a good chance of getting out of that group , Warsaw and Chisinau are sh*tholes .I hope we don't get Iceland as others are hoping for as I think best we'd get off them is another stalemate. Hopefully the draw will be kind to us. 

I loved Chisnau last time, I agree it's a sh*thole but I wouldn't say no to going back there I'd much rather it over places like Kazahkstan /Armenia/ Belarus/Azerbaijan.

It's simple enough to get to too as Air Moldova flies direct which can't be said for any of the above
Sponsored Links

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 3:44pm
Chisinau was quality, as was the trip to Transnitria
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Chisinau was quality, as was the trip to Transnitria

Thumbs Up

Will definitely be making the trip this time
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 3:59pm
I've always wanted Ireland to draw England in recent years but this time I do not:

1. They're actually good now and would probably beat us home and away.
2. Drawing them will mean we don't get a Pot 6 team, matches which will be important morale boosters for us (and great if they are in the first group of fixtures)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

I've always wanted Ireland to draw England in recent years but this time I do not:

1. They're actually good now and would probably beat us home and away.
2. Drawing them will mean we don't get a Pot 6 team, matches which will be important morale boosters for us (and great if they are in the first group of fixtures)

Also will draw our own knuckledraggers out. Not worth the f**king hassle
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:04pm
There is also the chance of getting hammered by them, properly hammered, which wouldn't do us any good.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:07pm
if Mick couldn't get our players up for an England competitive match then we may as well all pack it in
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

if Mick couldn't get our players up for an England competitive match then we may as well all pack it in
He could get them up all he wanted, the gap is too big to be made up by that sort of thing.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:14pm
I'd be happy with Holland from pot 1. Think we could definitely get at least two draws. They are still starting Ryan Babel ffs. I know they've had a good couple of months but they've been utterly rancid for the previous 3 or 4 years. Good away trip too
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Are the people who made Bohs' shirt doing the draw?

I understand what you are saying Conor, regarding time frames, but it still feels unnecessary, especially as many of the nations mentioned have held European games in the winter.
True.  And God knows Aarhus felt wintry enough last week in that NE wind, even though there was no snow! LOL 

I'm thinking more about the likes of that World Cup 2014 qualifier between Northern Ireland and Russia in March 2013 in Belfast. It was postponed due to heavy snow, including on the pitch.  The game was re-scheduled for August that year.  I know that was more of an outlier as NI tends to be more mild and wet in the winter but it just shows that if something like that happens again and a game has to be postponed or abandoned in really bad weather conditions - what are UEFA supposed to do then with no spare dates available? 

That's probably UEFA's reasoning in having that winter restriction in place this time, to minimise that risk, even if they know they can't eliminate it completely. 

The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:17pm
I think we could beat France home and away.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

I understand what you are saying Conor, regarding time frames, but it still feels unnecessary, especially as many of the nations mentioned have held European games in the winter.
True.  And God knows Aarhus felt wintry enough last week in that NE wind, even though there was no snow! LOL 

I'm thinking more about the likes of that World Cup 2014 qualifier between Northern Ireland and Russia in March 2013 in Belfast. It was postponed due to heavy snow, including on the pitch.  The game was re-scheduled for August that year.  I know that was more of an outlier as NI tends to be more mild and wet in the winter but it just shows that if something like that happens again and a game has to be postponed or abandoned in really bad weather conditions - what are UEFA supposed to do then with no spare dates available? 

That's probably UEFA's reasoning in having that winter restriction in place this time, to minimise that risk, even if they know they can't eliminate it completely. 

And the north aren't one of the teams included, and the game was postponed because they weren't prepared for it! That means, inclement weather in countries not included on the list is more likely to lead to postponements than in places that expect it to be freezing!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:20pm

I'd be happy with Holland from pot 1. Think we could definitely get at least two draws. They are still starting Ryan Babel ffs. I know they've had a good couple of months but they've been utterly rancid for the previous 3 or 4 years. Good away trip too
LOLLOLLOL

They can't be doing much wrong though tbf, having won a NL pool with Germany and France for company. 

That said, I wouldn't say no to them - I think we could get something out of them, in fact I'd rather have them over the aforementioned French and Germans.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:25pm

And the north aren't one of the teams included, and the game was postponed because they weren't prepared for it! That means, inclement weather in countries not included on the list is more likely to lead to postponements than in places that expect it to be freezing!
Ah yeah, I get your point - a single flake of snow round here and everything falls apart! LOL 

Whereas the likes of the Scandinavian countries, Baltic countries, Russia etc can usually cope much better with snow and get their games going ahead as a result.

That said, I can understand UEFA not wanting to really push their luck with winter which is why they've probably decided to try and have as few 'winter' games as possible seeing as they'd have no alternative dates for re-scheduling.

Edited by ConorMac77 - 26 Nov 2018 at 4:44pm
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:28pm

LOLLOLLOL

They can't be doing much wrong though tbf, having won a NL pool with Germany and France for company. 

That said, I wouldn't say no to them - I think we could get something out of them, in fact I'd rather have them over the aforementioned French and Germans.

We wouldn't get  a sniff near them. Watched there nations leagues games. They are playing decent stuff . 
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:28pm

People give out about England fans being deluded! We haven't a hope of 'knicking' or underpantsing a point of England.

I think we could beat France home and away.

LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:40pm
It is unbelievable! People think that Mick, with all respect to him, can turn this shower of sh*t into a team that can get results off the Dutch and English, in a couple of months without a friendly. The **** must have been born in a stable in Barnsley!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:48pm

It is unbelievable! People think that Mick, with all respect to him, can turn this shower of sh*t into a team that can get results off the Dutch and English, in a couple of months without a friendly. The **** must have been born in a stable in Barnsley!
You never know what we could achieve if we actually send the team out with a practiced and trained game plan and tactics instead of leaving the players to their own devices.  It can't possibly be worse than what we've had to put up with so far anyway.
I'll put it this way, if MONROY were still in charge, I'd be just writing off the games against whoever we get from Pot 1.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 62>
  Share Topic