You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 221222223224225 251>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Here we are, back writing off players in their early 20's. How often do guys need to be proved wrong before they'll cop on and show some patience?

What players in their early 20s were written off but proved everyone wrong by consistently playing at a high level? I can’t think of one. 

It’s a fact to say parrott hasn’t proven himself consistently even at championship level. He is young and has talent, but has shown nothing to give signs that he could consistently play at a higher levrl.

He’s still young, but I fear we may have another Connolly on our hands 

Loads, in fairness. You must'nt be thinking about it too hard!

Obviously thinking about it as much as you, when you can’t give 1 example of a young Irish player written off by media/ supporters who has consistently played well at a high level? 

I generally find Irish media/ supporters get over excited/ supportive (and why shouldn’t we) about younger playing showing a bit of potential.

But I just don’t see it in parrott or Connolly myself. Time will tell 

We have had absolutely loads of late developers down the years. I just can't be bothered listing them all as it would take ages and your alternative argument is so stupid to begin with.

Two things let Connolly down in my book, his injuries and his cheap tatts
Sponsored Links

Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 5:49pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Here we are, back writing off players in their early 20's. How often do guys need to be proved wrong before they'll cop on and show some patience?

What players in their early 20s were written off but proved everyone wrong by consistently playing at a high level? I can’t think of one. 

It’s a fact to say parrott hasn’t proven himself consistently even at championship level. He is young and has talent, but has shown nothing to give signs that he could consistently play at a higher levrl.

He’s still young, but I fear we may have another Connolly on our hands 

Loads, in fairness. You must'nt be thinking about it too hard!

Obviously thinking about it as much as you, when you can’t give 1 example of a young Irish player written off by media/ supporters who has consistently played well at a high level? 

I generally find Irish media/ supporters get over excited/ supportive (and why shouldn’t we) about younger playing showing a bit of potential.

But I just don’t see it in parrott or Connolly myself. Time will tell 

We have had absolutely loads of late developers down the years. I just can't be bothered listing them all as it would take ages and your alternative argument is so stupid to begin with.

A late developer is completely different to a young lad been bigged up and then been written off by supporters/ media like you said.

I don't recall any player who was written off at a young age by media/ supporters and played consistently at a high level.

The opposite is the case, any young player that shows potential is bigged up too much by us (but no harm getting excited either when you get young lads looking the real deal).
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 6:01pm

Your exact question was:

"What players in their early 20s were written off but proved everyone wrong by consistently playing at a high level?"

There are absolutely loads of examples of that.

There were plenty of people writing off Richard Dunne when he was a fat lad at Everton, believe me. Nobody expected Jonny Walters to have the career he had when he was in his early 20s, he didn't establish himself in the Premier League until he was 27. Glen Whelan was another. There's loads. Player development isn't linear. Some players will go straight to the top, some will go the long way around, some won't get there at all. To be honest nearly all of them will be written off by someone on an internet forum at some point.

Edited by You Tell Me - 30 Mar 2023 at 6:03pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 6:23pm

Your exact question was:

"What players in their early 20s were written off but proved everyone wrong by consistently playing at a high level?"

There were plenty of people writing off Richard Dunne when he was a fat lad at Everton, believe me. Nobody expected Jonny Walters to have the career he had when he was in his early 20s, he didn't establish himself in the Premier League until he was 27. Glen Whelan was another. There's loads. Player development isn't linear. Some players will go straight to the top, some will go the long way around, some won't get there at all. To be honest nearly all of them will be written off by someone on an internet forum at some point.

Wes didnt even get as far as the Championship until he was 25. He was 25/26 when first capped in 2008 and didnt win his second cap until 2012. He then went on to win a further 41 caps in his 30s.
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 7:37pm

Your exact question was:

Whelan was been a first choice player since he was 20.

He played 36 games for Wednesday when was he was 20 and continued this until he was about 37!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 7:44pm
None of the lads mentioned above were hanging around with the kinahans though WinkLOLLOL
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 7:57pm

Your exact question was:

By "someone" Confused. You made out that the media/irish supporters write off young lads regularly. It's the opposite

Richard Dunne as a "fat lad with everton" had a poor diet and drank too much. Bad example. He got his attitude right and had a great career.

Walters was never "written off", its not like he was "our next big thing"  and the media/ supporters wrote him off and then put egg on our face. He was simply a late developer snd never really on the radar.

Glen whelan was always tipped to do well. I used knock about with a Wednesday supporter who was raving about him when he was young, i then looked out for him in an under 21s match in tolka and he was unreal. Had a very good career despite what people say. Not a great example again 

Edited by Wheelo - 30 Mar 2023 at 7:57pm
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 8:14pm
Also the 3 you mentioned, appeared to be 3 normal hard working lads with great attitudes (Dunne a bit late to the party admittedly).

Talent only gets you so far.

I just don't see these important aspects in parrott or connolly to convince me they'll consistently play in the championship, never mind the Premier league 

Edited by Wheelo - 30 Mar 2023 at 8:15pm
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 8:54pm
hangs around with absolute dirt…no time for him. Hope he slips into oblivion 
Here we go again, we're on the road again
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 10:26pm

Your exact question was:

By "someone" Confused. You made out that the media/irish supporters write off young lads regularly. It's the opposite

Richard Dunne as a "fat lad with everton" had a poor diet and drank too much. Bad example. He got his attitude right and had a great career.

Walters was never "written off", its not like he was "our next big thing"  and the media/ supporters wrote him off and then put egg on our face. He was simply a late developer snd never really on the radar.

Glen whelan was always tipped to do well. I used knock about with a Wednesday supporter who was raving about him when he was young, i then looked out for him in an under 21s match in tolka and he was unreal. Had a very good career despite what people say. Not a great example again 

Tbf Walters was very highly rated at a young age. First at Blackburn and then at Bolton where he played in PL a few times when he was around 20.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:24pm

Your exact question was:

By "someone" Confused. You made out that the media/irish supporters write off young lads regularly. It's the opposite

Walters was never "written off", its not like he was "our next big thing" and the media/ supporters wrote him off and then put egg on our face. He was simply a late developer snd never really on the radar.

Whelan was down in the third tier with Sheffield Wednesday. Loads of people at that point thought he wasn't good enough to ever establish himself in the Premier League.

Walters was a highly rated young player who took years to fulfill his potential.

And Dunne is literally a perfect example of a player who was written off and proved people wrong. In fact they all are.

Edited by You Tell Me - 30 Mar 2023 at 11:26pm
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 12:14am

Your exact question was:

We could do with a young Glenn Whelan.  France would never have got a goal.like that with Glenn there 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 6:45am
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Two things let Connolly down in my book, his injuries and his cheap tatts

Don’t forget the backwards hats.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 8:22am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Your exact question was:

We could do with a young Glenn Whelan.  France would never have got a goal.like that with Glenn there 

In fairness to Whelan, I always thought we wouldn’t have conceded that goal to Germany away in 2014 if he was still on the pitch. Kroos came on to a loose ball just outside our box as I remember. Whelan had been taken off beforehand.
Now we might have conceded a different goal instead but probably not that one 
El Puto Amo
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 12:12pm
Starts today @ 1230 alongside Cannon and Browne, Brady otb. Lyons and CJ Hamilton start for Blackpool, SS Football. Needs to find form and goals!
Idah Dream!
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 1:42pm
Parrott poor so far but cracking goal for Cannon.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 1:46pm
Really looks like he is playing with a lack of confidence. Not even doing the basics which normally I think he does.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 2:01pm
Is the first man subbed off for Preston.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 221222223224225 251>
  Share Topic