Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 11:55am
He can't even do it in friendly matches! Even Harold Arter looks good in those!
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

I genuinely don't get where the fact Wales almost walked 2/3 goals in the last half hour, on top of a couple of other half chances and Chester missing a header from 2 yards, is all irrelevant as before the first goal neither team really created much and up to then we were value for a result.

The game is 90 mins. Over that 90 mins by the end how we didn't lose 3-0 or 4-0 I'm really not sure. Christies chance was our only big one in the game and if that scored, we would have dug in and tried to win 1-0 for 80 mins. Final result probably would have been 1-1 or 1-0 if Christie had scored. The key thing being, we would have just sat back and prayed for time to tick away if we went ahead. When Wales went ahead they proceeded to create scoring chance after scoring chance to get the 2nd goal. Imagine the day when we even attempt to play like that.

I won't lie this notion that we probably deserved a result is really grinding on me. On the balance of play we should have lost heavily if anything. 

Well, we got what we deserved - i.e zero points and a loss. I think the point I was attempting to make was that Wales had to do very little to achieve the win they got. As I was saying we were containing them with ease until the double brain fart moment. But that moment alone meant we deserved to lose. You can't make those kind of mistakes in international football and expect do to well.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:30pm
We contained them and the Danes because in general they paid us respect as the away team. They definitely paid us too much respect, and the Danes could well miss out on top spot now for that mistake. Neither Denmark nor Wales should have left Ireland with anything but 3 points this week as we are a broken and truly awful football team at this stage.

My point about the last 30 minutes where the Welsh had numerous chances to score more goals is that, not alone is it irrelevant, it was actually the most important and defining 30 minutes of the 2 games Ireland played this week. A decent football team 1 down at home with 30 minutes left in an important game, will put enormous pressure on the opposition and if they didn't equalise, the opposition would by full time at least have felt like they hung on some bit for their win.

We are not a decent football team though at this point in time. So that last 30 minutes where we created little to nothing offensively and gifted Wales chance after chance to score numerous goals - that was the most important part of the game last night and of both games this week. It summed up how much of a rabble we are when we don't play with everyone behind the ball hoping the minutes will pass away and nothing will happen at either end. 

To dismiss the last 30 minutes last night as not important as a lot are doing, as if this is what happens when a team goes behind - it's just natural to gift the opposition chances, is desperate analysis. Analyse that last 30 minutes properly and the failings of the team and management are absolutely shocking. I've no idea why anyone would try play down that part of the game (besides MON who has done exactly that, as it's in his own personal interest to do so).

Edited by Hans Moleman - 17 Oct 2018 at 12:32pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:31pm
Am I alone in thinking the first half was okay from us? If we played like that on a regular basis I think the fans would get behind it a bit more. Second half was dreadful though and once we conceded we hit the panic button big time and never looked like scoring or creating a decent chance. The energy and effort was there but there were no passing moves or cohesion to try and break Wales down, it was just lump it in behind and hope Seani or Hogan would get onto it.

It was comical at one stage when them two and Long all were looking for the ball standing about 10 yards apart from each other. I would guarantee that at no point in training during the week did we work on a situation like this. Robinson was probably our MOTM so not sure why he got hooked, Christie gave it everything he had but thought he was completely shown up and proven not to be a midfielder. Depressing stuff.
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:46pm
It is fairly obvious watching the game that the players have no attacking plan. When we went a goal down the players tried to rise themselves, but there is no system in place. Christie, Long and a couple of others tried just going it alone a couple of times. It was remarkable to watch. You see it regularly at poorly coached U10 games where one player tries to do a Maradona 86 and beat the whole opposition on his own. Seeing professional footballers, who are not that style of player, attempting it is disturbing.

I'm not a ranter generally, but I think it is time for a change. I don't have a clue who would be suitable to take over though and that is a major problem too.

Edited by whitesideOnside - 17 Oct 2018 at 12:47pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Am I alone in thinking the first half was okay from us? If we played like that on a regular basis I think the fans would get behind it a bit more. Second half was dreadful though and once we conceded we hit the panic button big time and never looked like scoring or creating a decent chance. The energy and effort was there but there were no passing moves or cohesion to try and break Wales down, it was just lump it in behind and hope Seani or Hogan would get onto it.

It was comical at one stage when them two and Long all were looking for the ball standing about 10 yards apart from each other. I would guarantee that at no point in training during the week did we work on a situation like this. Robinson was probably our MOTM so not sure why he got hooked, Christie gave it everything he had but thought he was completely shown up and proven not to be a midfielder. Depressing stuff.

I agree with you on all of this. The first half was probably the best we have played for a while, although that may be because of the quality of the opposition.

The end was a joke. Evident there was no contingency planning or preparation for this 4–3-3. Long out wide whipping in crosses, McClean at left back, midfield totally exposed. Considering how important the game was, O’Neill got shown up big time.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 1:35pm
One thing with a 3-5-2 system is that the ball needs to be shifted quickly and in doing so in a way to take full advantage of the wing backs. We did neither. Our build up play is pathetic. Only O'Neill can take the blame for that because the vast majority of our players know exactly how to play 3-5-2 but attach limitations 

Arter in particular spent most of the game passing backwards. Get the head up ffs. 

Edited by ShamtheRam - 17 Oct 2018 at 1:41pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

One thing with a 3-5-2 system is that the ball needs to be shifted quickly and in doing so in a way to take full advantage of the wing backs. We did neither. Our build up play is pathetic.

Arter in particular spent most of the game passing backwards. Get the head up ffs. 

3-5-2 with our current choice of CBs is an absolutely comical formation. Instead of having 2 players at the back who can't pass the ball, we now have 3. Or when people were championing this formation, did they want to see what was happening against Denmark, which was a flat back 5 on the edge of our own 18 yard box for 90 mins?

It has been an embarrassing watch tactically in the past 2 games with this 3-5-2 formation.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 2:25pm
the free kick should never have been given away not a great moment for Arter, but who was the culprit/windy sh*te that turned his back and jump out of the balls way in the wall??? even worse againThumbs Down
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

One thing with a 3-5-2 system is that the ball needs to be shifted quickly and in doing so in a way to take full advantage of the wing backs. We did neither. Our build up play is pathetic.

3-5-2 with our current choice of CBs is an absolutely comical formation. Instead of having 2 players at the back who can't pass the ball, we now have 3. Or when people were championing this formation, did they want to see what was happening against Denmark, which was a flat back 5 on the edge of our own 18 yard box for 90 mins?

It has been an embarrassing watch tactically in the past 2 games with this 3-5-2 formation.

I disagree. Saturday we kept a comfortable 0-0 draw and last night for the first 60 mins it was probably the best we have played in a competitive game in a long time, it was only after we switched formations that we fell to pieces IMO. 

Of course it could be done a lot better but I would be tempted to stick with it as I think there is potential for it to work. Against Denmark it did turn into a 5-4-1 and we were way too deep, last night it was more of a 3-5-2 and we defended higher up the pitch and pressed better.

If we could get one or two midfielders more comfortable on the ball (McCarthy, Williams, Brady, Browne, O'Dowda), a centre half who is more comfortable in possession (do we have one? I'm not sure) and a real left wing back instead of McClean (Stevens, Cunningham or Brady) then I think it would look a lot better.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

the free kick should never have been given away not a great moment for Arter, but who was the culprit/windy sh*te that turned his back and jump out of the balls way in the wall??? even worse againThumbs Down

Robinson I believe
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Robinson I believe
And what about Randolph in goal? If he was to stand where he was and cover his side he probably would've saved it
Some people just deserve a slap
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 3:14pm
The free kick was so bad that I thought it was blown up to be taken again. Literally no one moved, well except for the big man in goal who ran away from it. That free kick for me sums up why he isn't a "top" keeper. It was pathetic. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Robinson I believe
And what about Randolph in goal? If he was to stand where he was and cover his side he probably would've saved it

True he took step to his left (thinking it would go over the wall obviously) and was left flat footed
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

The free kick was so bad that I thought it was blown up to be taken again. Literally no one moved, well except for the big man in goal who ran away from it. That free kick for me sums up why he isn't a "top" keeper. It was pathetic. 
It was poor but it shows a real confidence issue is running throughout the team. If he’s confident in his wall he stays put and makes the save. 
I’ve never fancied Randolph as our no1 tbh but now Westwood & Elliott aren’t getting club games I don’t think we’ve a choice
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I’ve never fancied Randolph as our no1 tbh but now Westwood & Elliott aren’t getting club games I don’t think we’ve a choice

Agreed. There is always Colin Doyle whose displays on the Hearts bench week in week out has him called up to every Irish squad under O'Neill.Dead

Edited by grannyrule - 17 Oct 2018 at 3:41pm
The only way is up
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 3:53pm
Not GoodThumbs Down

Harry Wilson grabbed the only goal of the game
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 3:56pm
Windy ****. He shouldn't be picked again for that alone. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason why he was taken off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>
  Share Topic