You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 32>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:18am
looking for two tickets if anyone has some available. PM me if available I can meet up. I will be back on around 3pm.
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
Sponsored Links

gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:26am
If we beat Wales and the Danes beat Wales surely it's conceivable that both of us would play for a draw in Denmark
Danger here, OH NO
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:33am
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

If we beat Wales and the Danes beat Wales surely it's conceivable that both of us would play for a draw in Denmark

Why would we play for a draw? In that scenario we'd be guaranteed 2nd and beating Denmark would give us 1st spot and promotion on head to head results vs the Danes.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Is it still possible for us to be in the second pot of seeds for the Euro draw? What results would need to get if it is?

A win vs Wales would put us in a healthy enough posistion to finish second and secure pot 2.

Then if they drew with Denmark, we’d only need an away draw against the Danes who would in turn top the group. 

Incorrect, unless we win by three. In your scenario (we beat Wales, Wales draw with Denmark, we draw with Denmark), we all end up on 5 points, and we are bottom on goal difference if we beat Wales by one and head to head if we beat them by two.

If the table is Denmark 5 (+2), Wales 5 (-1) and Ireland 5 (-1), then Denmark win the group and our position re: Wales goes back to head to head, where we would lose, on the basis of being -1 GD if we beat them by two.

We need to win and then hope Denmark beat Wales. Hell, even a Wales win is better for us, because then we would only need a score draw in Denmark to finish second on away goals.

Incorrect we beat Wales and they draw with Denmark Wales finish on 4

If we beat Wales tomorrow I'd have us as massive odds on to still finish bottom, unless the Danes throw us a bone in Copenhagen and played out a draw.

Wales would we well capable of getting a home point or more vs Denmark. That happens and we must get something in our last game , which we would have no chance of doing I reckon, unless the draw suited the Danes also.
Hope your right about this because if the Danes are in Copenhagen, we'd be in Aarhus getting a walk over, bag a 3-0 victory and win the group.

Touche.

'Hope you're right' or 'Hope you are right'. Either one will do.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:39am

Why would we play for a draw? In that scenario we'd be guaranteed 2nd and beating Denmark would give us 1st spot and promotion on head to head results vs the Danes.

We will not beat Wales at home and Denmark away.
Best at most is 2nd place which will get us a 2nd chance of qualifying thru the Nations League and will keep us as a 2nd seed for proper qualifying group next year.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:51am
Ireland to get a scaldy one nil win tonight. 
El Puto Amo
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:30am
I was actually quite optimistic before the wales game based on the improved performance v Poland and then i saw the team sheet.

Our attempts at 3 at the back are so different to the few decent exponents of it recently - Chelsea for a few years under conte, belgium etc. When done well your back 3 have mobility and typically balance - left footer on left right footer on right and at least one of the 3 is either comfortable on the ball or can step into midfield and play. they played 3-4-3 we are playing a back 5 with full backs and 3 defensive stoppers/hoofers and christie in midfield. 

The annoying thing is O'Neill played an effective 3-5-2 at Celtic that was attacking direct and good to watch. I know we do not have a front pairing even half as good as Larrson and Sutton  but at least if we tried to play a front 2 the football may be far less dull to watch and we may actually get even 40% possession as the ball doesn't come back at us as quickly hoofing it to a lone striker. If my memory serves me correctly celtic had a bit of balance in the back 3 with the belgian lad left of the 3 centre halves.

dreading later. 

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:37am
Banker Matt Doherty to be dropped tonight
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

That would explain why MON doesn't like him.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:52am

Hes a banker Shocked if only we also had a baker and a candlestick maker we be grand
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Hes a banker Shocked if only we also had a baker and a candlestick maker we be grand

We're not San Marino
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:56am
Think we will lose this one. Not sure how we are going to score. Almost seems an impossibility.

Going with my gut. I think we are going to down in flames. Red card for us and a 3-0 calamitous loss.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:58am

Think we will lose this one. Not sure how we are going to score. Almost seems an impossibility.

Going with my gut. I think we are going to down in flames. Red card for us and a 3-0 calamitous loss.
LOL and you were going so well this fine morning until now
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:59am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

We will not beat Wales at home and Denmark away.
Best at most is 2nd place which will get us a 2nd chance of qualifying thru the Nations League and will keep us as a 2nd seed for proper qualifying group next year.

I was only replying to a mathematical hypothetical scenario. 

I wouldn't put a penny of your money on us winning both the Wales and Danish games. I can't see how we will even score 1 goal over the 180 minutes. I expect 2 losses. I fear for tonight big time. Could go down as one of our very worst nights I think.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

LOL and you were going so well this fine morning until now

Just a feeling. Tbh, I'm genuinely amazed we are favourites and so many think we might just about scrape home a 1-0 win. I don't think Wales are great, Bale and Ramsey are massive losses, they have a pineapple of a manager, and I would still be surprised if they don't beat us.

I think we'd fail to beat the Faroes or some team like that right now. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 11:02am
The doom and gloom is well and truly here. We are shagged. I just want to focus on tonight. We get mad giddy and start fixating on other results and permutations that we can't control. We can win tonight, that's about the height of it. Forget the rest. We all want MON out but the players need us later. The atmosphere has been sh*te last few games (who can blame us I know) but we should go for it tonight, drive the team on. f**king Wales hammered us last time out and we owe them one. Also we are sh*te but surely no one wants to finish bottom of a group FFS, show some pride. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 11:03am
We are capable of keeping a Wales aide missing their two most creative players scoreless, through numbers behind the ball and blind luck.
However, I always felt that if the Danes got one they would get three or four. Similar tonight. Same as Cardiff.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

I was actually quite optimistic before the wales game based on the improved performance v Poland and then i saw the team sheet.

Our attempts at 3 at the back are so different to the few decent exponents of it recently - Chelsea for a few years under conte, belgium etc. When done well your back 3 have mobility and typically balance - left footer on left right footer on right and at least one of the 3 is either comfortable on the ball or can step into midfield and play. they played 3-4-3 we are playing a back 5 with full backs and 3 defensive stoppers/hoofers and christie in midfield. 

The annoying thing is O'Neill played an effective 3-5-2 at Celtic that was attacking direct and good to watch. I know we do not have a front pairing even half as good as Larrson and Sutton  but at least if we tried to play a front 2 the football may be far less dull to watch and we may actually get even 40% possession as the ball doesn't come back at us as quickly hoofing it to a lone striker. If my memory serves me correctly celtic had a bit of balance in the back 3 with the belgian lad left of the 3 centre halves.

dreading later. 

Celtic played the 3-5-2 back then exceptionally. The balance was perfect. The back 3 complimented each other and Balde was really the only one not that comfortable on the ball iirc. The wing backs were attackers essentially. They had it down to a fine art. Celtic had better players than us, obviously. The difference is that MON probably did little training work with them either, but when you have that quality things will come together. We have a lot of iffy players, we should be drilling tactics and shape non stop - especially when ripping up the shape that has been used for years.

It boils down to 2 things imo. MON being totally incompetent at his job at this point and us having very few players actually suited to a 3-5-2 shape. Just because we have Doherty (who I'm a fan of), doesn't mean this is our best shape. The fact every one of our CBs is abysmal in possession should end any conversation about this nonsense. It's incredible to think we actually are playing this shape.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 32>
  Share Topic