You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ronan Curtis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Linked with Blackburn and Reading.

I think he will get this sort of move in the summer if Portsmouth don’t go up themselves. 
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Linked with Blackburn and Reading.

About the right level for him at the moment I'd say. He's too good for League 1 but at the same time he's no world beater either. Mid table Championship seems like a good next step and then see if he can kick on from there. 25 now, but could be a late developer.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:55pm
There is 16 players who have scored more goals than him in L1. So not sure how you can say he's too good for L1.

I doubt he's too good for Portsmouth to be honest, but if gets his move to the Championship then it can only be of benefit to us.

Edited by horsebox - 06 May 2021 at 7:56pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:36pm
Yeah, he's on 10 league goals with twenty five other players having 11 or more (one being Scully on 11 and in joint 20th in the L1 Golden Boot).
It looks likely he has found his effective level, which is no disrespect to him but fair play if he gets a gig in The Championship and does well there.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

There is 16 players who have scored more goals than him in L1. So not sure how you can say he's too good for L1.

I doubt he's too good for Portsmouth to be honest, but if gets his move to the Championship then it can only be of benefit to us.

He's reached double figures in every season and he's got 20 assists. He's not an out-and-out forward either.

This is the third consecutive summer transfer window where he's been linked with Championship clubs. Not middle of the road ones either. He was repeatedly linked with Brentford for over a year and Reading have challenged for the playoffs this season.

I don't think he's been as bad as people say he has for us.

I think he's got something to offer in the long term but he needs a bigger platform this year, one way or other.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:51pm
Funnily enough I don't judge players purely based on how many goals they score, especially ones that aren't out and out strikers.

When I've watched him this season his general play has been very good at that level, linking the play and bringing others into the game. That he has scored a few goals is a positive too, but it's only one consideration. 

League 1 is not a particularly high standard and you can just see that he's capable of moving one step up anyway. Whether he can go beyond that who knows but a Championship move makes sense for him and it doesn't surprise me if there's interest.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:59am
I'm not dissing him as a player - just wouldn't say he's too good for L1.

Hopefully he does get to play at a higher level.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:27am
Whether he is too good for League one or not it is abundantly clear he is not international standard - regardless of how poor we are right now. He has looked completely out of his depth any time I've seen him in the Aviva. Loads of endeavour but little else unfortunately. 
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I'm not dissing him as a player - just wouldn't say he's too good for L1.

Hopefully he does get to play at a higher level.
I agree, I can only judge on what I’ve seen for us and he looks awful. Slowest 25 year old I’ve ever seen too. I must be missing something as his stats are decent at portskouth
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:59pm
Tried to pretty much singlehandedly drag Portsmouth into the playoffs today. Didn't work out, but I'd expect him to be a transfer target for a lot of Championship teams this summer. Only thing is that he has a decent contract at Portsmouth, so they might want a sizeable fee for him.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 2:16pm
Think Curtis will get a transfer myself. How he will do stepping up I don’t know tbh. 
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:10am
Is Curtis really the sort of player we want to try and bring into this team? He's only playing in L1, he's had a few run outs for us at senior level and didn't really show much. I see that there's videos on social media doing the round today of him out slamming jaeger bombs with the paint barely dry on the season. I don't begrudge a player having a few beers, but he seems like a bit of a head case.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 3:36pm
He's not good enough for us at the moment and may well never be. Particularly as he plays in a position where we have a few options - Connolly, Robinson, Mcclean, even Manning playing at a higher level.

But he has shown enough at the poor enough level that is League 1 to get a Championship move I think. If he can improve and establish himself at that level he might be worth another look in terms of the International team.

I can't comment on his off field conduct, but he does seem to really annoy opposition supporters in League 1 for some reason.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 3:47pm
If he can’t have a drink on the last day of the season, when should he?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 4:07pm
purely from an Ireland perspective, i'd like to see him move on to a better league, whether thats the championship or elsewhere. He's 25, we know he is pretty good in league 1, would like to see if he could develop further/hold his own against better competition than that
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 10:52am
Very poor player, can never understand how he keeps getting pick for our squad never mind a starting 11. His miss yesterday was one of the worst I have ever seen.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 10:55am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Very poor player, can never understand how he keeps getting pick for our squad never mind a starting 11. His miss yesterday was one of the worst I have ever seen.

He is dreadful. Even the likes of McClean etc i can see how they keep getting picked - Curtis has nothing.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:11am
Im not sure why Curtis is getting such stick. Ok he wasnt great yesterday but a lot of our players weren't. I think he has something to offer. Hes direct and can score. Yes he missed a sitter yesterday i know. Squad player is fine.
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
  Share Topic