URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56557
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 8:59am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ronan Curtis
Posted By: horsebox
Subject: Ronan Curtis
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 12:14pm
Called up the Irish squad .

Seems to be doing quite well at Portsmouth too.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Replies:
Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 12:17pm
Delighted for him. 

He’s strong, pacy and skillful and more importantly is a bit of a snidey bastard. 

We’re too nice at the moment. Let’s hope he kicks on.

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 1:06pm
Fair play to the lad. A big strong and skilful attacker so something we don’t have in abundance at the minute. Hopefully he gets a run out on Tuesday. Will do his profile good by getting into the squad. Always nice to see a fellow Donegal man in there too. 

Posted By: ProudAndLoud
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 2:14pm
Delighted for the lad and his mum n dad. They travelled to Kosovo to see him and I have to say his mum isn't afraid to shout support for her son.

Seem like a really nice family so good luck for the future :)

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 11:21am
Delighted. I've a mate who is a Pompey season ticket holder and he's full of praise for the lad

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:12pm
Why was he brought to Poland and taken away from the U21 team if he wasn't going to be used?

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Why was he brought to Poland and taken away from the U21 team if he wasn't going to be used?

He was suspended for 21s

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: adineen98

He was suspended for the U21's.

-------------
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Posted By: BigStrongMan

He was suspended for 21s

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Dugs

he was suspended anyway from u21s. No harm to bring him in and make him part of the squad. One for the future.

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:35pm
Was he suspended for the 21s?

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Posted By: DalyerRegular
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

bust up with Roy Ke... Oh maybe not

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:44pm

for yellow cards i think. Not a bust up suspended.

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:47pm
Was a token gesture by oneil calling him up had no interest in playing him 

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 11:06pm
I think I may have read somewhere that he was suspended for the 21s 

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

A bit harsh on O'Neill tbh.

Curtis has gone from being a million miles away from an international call up when playing for Derry City to being brought to Poland to be part of the senior squad in the space of a few months, a bit of perspective is.

He will be on cloud 9 regardless to know he's firmly in the managers thoughts now.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 10:32am
I read somewhere he was suspended for the 21s, is this true?

-------------

Posted By: David McWilliams
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 12:01pm

He was suspended for the 21s

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 12:16pm
not sure why i think this but was he suspended from u21'sBroken Heart

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

A bit harsh on O'Neill tbh.

Curtis has gone from being a million miles away from an international call up when playing for Derry City to being brought to Poland to be part of the senior squad in the space of a few months, a bit of perspective is.

He will be on cloud 9 regardless to know he's firmly in the managers thoughts now.

Agree. It was win win to just bring him in around the first team but in fairness Burke and O'Brien deserved to be given a go before him 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 3:00pm
Any excuse to have a go at MON! There are enough genuine reasons without resorting to this! The lad is probably delighted to have been called up and now knows he is in the manager's plans. There was a few other lads who didn't play, why bring them?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 3:24pm
Anyone know why he didnt play for the Under 21s? Shocking decision!

-------------

Posted By: 5678
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 3:29pm

Anyone know why he didnt play for the Under 21s? Shocking decision!

Suspension

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 3:30pm
All we need is to introduce a love interest and it will be more Richard Curtis than Ronan!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 4:35pm
Just the two assists for Ronan vs Peterborough today.

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 6:17pm
he is on fire

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 7:03pm
to think Pompey got him for 100k

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 8:53pm
Another goal from Curtis tonight.

That's 6 goals and 5 assists in 10 games. Impressive stuff.

Portsmouth top of the league with a good manager in Jackett, should see him playing in the Championship next year.

Probably only one of a few on form Irish players.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Dunsie10
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 1:55pm
Cant see O'Neill calling him up again, it is league 1 at the end of the day but he is an in form striker, something we have very few of.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 2:20pm
He called up lads from the League of Ireland why not League 1, it would be in and around the same level

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

He called up lads from the League of Ireland why not League 1, it would be in and around the same level
League 1 is far, far superior to the LOI.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 2:44pm
Rubbish! 

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 2:50pm

Rubbish! 

Dundalk would hold their own in L1 but that's about it. Everyone else would get bashed. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 2:54pm
I'm not sure they would, they probably would do ok in L2. Their star players haven't really set the EFL alight, to the point where two of them have ended up in Scotland.
LOI fans are always massively delusional about the standard, basing it solely on the top team or teams while dismissing the top teams in other leagues. It is quite bizarre.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 2:56pm
I stand corrected tbh I didn't want to say it was better for fear of being lamented by the pro LOI brigade

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I'm not sure they would, they probably would do ok in L2. Their star players haven't really set the EFL alight, to the point where two of them have ended up in Scotland.
LOI fans are always massively delusional about the standard, basing it solely on the top team or teams while dismissing the top teams in other leagues. It is quite bizarre.

It's hard to say as it's completely hypothetical. 

Looking at the Dundalk team that was in the group stages of the EL a couple of years ago, they would have been absolutely fine in L1 IMO. They were a better team than the current edition though. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Rubbish! 

Dundalk would hold their own in L1 but that's about it. Everyone else would get bashed. 
Would agree with that. 
Fair play to Curtis, great to see him doing well.
 Ian Holloway described him as the “EFL find of the season” at the weekend, before getting the sh*ts and having to leave the EFL show 

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:06pm
Yeah, but that is the point really! They were an outlier rather than the norm. A lot of people say they were the greatest Irish club side of all time.

This isn't me knocking the LOI, before I'm accused of it, it is the thing I miss most about home, but an honest assessment of how I would see it. The standard at the bottom of L2 is atrocious and I would still expect most, if not all, teams in the division to finish higher than nearly all LOI sides over a hypothetical season.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:17pm

Wasnt long ago you were propping up the steps of Turners Cross so just because youve gone missing from games dont be bashing it. City, Dundalk and Rovers would be well able for League 1. May not top the table but would hold our own!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:18pm

Yeah, but that is the point really! They were an outlier rather than the norm. A lot of people say they were the greatest Irish club side of all time.

This isn't me knocking the LOI, before I'm accused of it, it is the thing I miss most about home, but an honest assessment of how I would see it. The standard at the bottom of L2 is atrocious and I would still expect most, if not all, teams in the division to finish higher than nearly all LOI sides over a hypothetical season.

Madness! Pure madenss!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:22pm
And I still follow it from over here. City and Shams would struggle to stay in the league. Just because you support and like something doesn't mean you shouldn't appraise it fairly.
The standard of the FAI cup semi-final on Sunday was non-league, for example.

There will be players who can use the LOI to relaunch their careers at a higher level after losing their appetite for the game in England, but they will be exceptions and not the normality.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:24pm
Anyway... Back to Curtis! I'm sure he will be in and around the squad next time.
He was unlucky not to get a chance against Poland but I feel that they didn't want to 'reward' him too much for being suspended for the 21s. He will get his chance soon though.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:29pm

One thing that stands to him in England is his physique. He seems quite a powerful lad and they appreciate that type down over there. His progress so far is fantastic. Hopefully his form keeps up. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:37pm
Lads, he's gone! Southgate has been onto him in the last few weeks

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:38pm

And I still follow it from over here. City and Shams would struggle to stay in the league. Just because you support and like something doesn't mean you shouldn't appraise it fairly.

There will be players who can use the LOI to relaunch their careers at a higher level after losing their appetite for the game in England, but they will be exceptions and not the normality.

The standard of one game? You get sh*t La Liga games too as you do EPL. Im not looking at this as a supporter but per pay cheque domestic based players are under rated and under paid. CCFC and Rovers would do well in League One. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Lads, he's gone! Southgate has been onto him in the last few weeks

LOL

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:51pm
Curtis could be a better option than Burke who isn’t getting much game time at the side sitting bottom in the Championship.

Posted By: 5678
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Curtis could be a better option than Burke who isn’t getting much game time at the side sitting bottom in the Championship.

Definitely.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:52pm

The standard of one game? You get sh*t La Liga games too as you do EPL. Im not looking at this as a supporter but per pay cheque domestic based players are under rated and under paid. CCFC and Rovers would do well in League One. 
I said as an example. I still watch the league as much as I can and City on any platform available.
I disagree, I think they would struggle to get twenty points between them in L1. I think LOI fans have a recent history of overinflating how good the league is.
From what I can gather, a lot of players are overpaid. Payment in football is only relevant to income coming in.

Genuine question here, do you not find it strange that despite the fact that there are EFL scouts at nearly every LOI game and the vast majority o players on short-term contracts, that very few are offered anything by English clubs?

-------------

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 4:01pm
Curtis should be in with a shout alright. Interesting that his goalscoring record has been far superior in L1 than it was over a few seasons in the LOI. That may hint that he's just in an excellent run of form and it won't last, but hopefully not.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 4:12pm
He is not going to get a call up if Long, Robinson, Hogan, O'Brien, Maguire are fit... Burke would be ahead of him too. If McGoldrick can stay injury free then he will be called up too.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 5:56pm
the next dave mooney

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Both are very limited options international football wise but thankfully both have the scope to improve greatly

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 4:16pm
Curtis has been added to the squad for the Wales game 

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 4:38pm
Will probably play centre back

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 5:38pm

We haven’t heard that one used before.....

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 5:41pm
Throw him on and make sure we get him tied down.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 5:58pm

Just looked through 4 pages of this thread and that's the first it has been mentioned

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 6:21pm

Just looked through 4 pages of this thread and that's the first it has been mentioned

Your attempts at "comedy" in numerous threads in the last few weeks have gone down a treat, don't give up the day job.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 6:28pm

Your attempts at "comedy" in numerous threads in the last few weeks have gone down a treat, don't give up the day job.

Don't have a breeze what you're talking about  LOL

I think that's the first joke I've actually said in awhile.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 8:06pm

LOL

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 8:14pm
GD, I'm the designated forum grumpy bollocks; go back to the day job.

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 11:46pm

Careful with that kind of talk, Newryrep will want to take ya on in a cage fight

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 12:18am

I think he's still annoyed that I called him a closet Newcastle fan as ever since then he has tried to poke holes in every post I make which he doesn't agree with 

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:16am

I think he's still annoyed that I called him a closet Newcastle fan as ever since then he has tried to poke holes in every post I make which he doesn't agree with 

I’m hardly going to give a sh*te about being called a closet Newcastle fan at 30 years of age from a stranger on an Internet forum Confused

Or maybe I simply just don’t agree with some of the stuff you post, so I comment on it now there’s a thought! 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:17am

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:18am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Careful with that kind of talk, Newryrep will want to take ya on in a cage fight

Mud wrestling and we have a deal.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:23am
Anyhow, although unlikely it would be nice to see if one of our inform players like Curtis getting some game time tomorrow night! 

O”Neill could do worse than give him a cameo role but it’ll more than likely be Seanie Maguire who’ll come off the bench imo.

-------------

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:00am

Anyhow, although unlikely it would be nice to see if one of our inform players like Curtis getting some game time tomorrow night! 

O”Neill could do worse than give him a cameo role but it’ll more than likely be Seanie Maguire who’ll come off the bench imo.

Is Seanie not more of a threat? Forget about the fitness a second. Excuse my ignorance, how good is Curtis?

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Is Seanie not more of a threat? Forget about the fitness a second. Excuse my ignorance, how good is Curtis?

hes off to quite the start for Portsmouth albeit in league one

Posted By: Joe Dixon
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 5:52pm
Linked with a move to Derby Co among others

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ronan-curtis-derby-leeds-leicester-2161358

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 6:30pm
He's being linked with a January move to Derby.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: connord96
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 2:57pm
Man of the match today in FA cup tie vs Maidenhead on BT sports. Another assist to boot

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 6:04am

https://Www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2018/oct/10/portsmouth-buzz-back-football-league-blog" rel="nofollow - Www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2018/oct/10/portsmouth-buzz-back-football-league-blog

Gets plenty of praise in this article. Randomly enough, Chris Coleman is his godfather.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 9:44pm
Another goal tonight - 8 in total and top scorer too.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 5:42pm
another two assists and a man of the match award for Curtis today

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:14pm
Highlights reel and a summary of his Pompey career so far.

EFL's One2Watch: Portsmouth winger Ronan Curtis

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11674/11573181/efls-one2watch-portsmouth-winger-ronan-curtis" rel="nofollow - https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11674/11573181/efls-one2watch-portsmouth-winger-ronan-curtis

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 4:15pm
Scored against Sunderland.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 4:45pm
Scores today

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 5:10pm
Got the winner and its puts them five points clear at the top of league one. Would be surprised if he’s not a championship player by next year whether he goes up with Portsmouth or he gets another club.

Posted By: connord96
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 7:47pm
Nominated for league one player of the month with 1 goal and 4 assists alongside team mate Jamal Lowe 

Posted By: mouldymould
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 9:44pm
Scored his 10th of the season tonight but Pompey have slipped to 2nd place

Posted By: cildaratown
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:19pm
could be out for season after hurting finger closing door

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFrattonFaith/status/1105591231126618117" rel="nofollow - https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFrattonFaith/status/1105591231126618117

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:34pm
LOL

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:35pm
I was off work for six weeks after breaking the little finger on my non-dominant hand and needing surgery (when I was working as a bar man that is - if it were to happen today, I would be able to work). I was off sport for over two months and had the hand in a splint for almost two months.

I can see why a professional footballer would be out for the best part of three months. Remember though, that the League One regular season finishes on 4 May - which is well under two months away. I know they may make the playoffs but I doubt they'd rush him back for those.

-------------

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 12:07am
Could do with a rest anyway

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 12:18am
If he does another finger he will have broken into double digits for the season.

-------------

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:52am

If he does another finger he will have broken into double digits for the season.

LOL

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:28am
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

could be out for season after hurting finger closing door

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFrattonFaith/status/1105591231126618117" rel="nofollow - https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFrattonFaith/status/1105591231126618117

There is a pun about one door closing and another opening there somewhere

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:55am
The door has closed on his immediate international future but has surely opened for the likes of O'Dowda, Maguire & McGoldrick Unhappy

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:26am

well played Clap

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 10:50am
Was listening to a video interview with Ronan at the FAI awards last night. 

Was suprised that he has a full blown English accent I assumed for some reason that he was from Donegal and moved from England at a very young age. 

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Was suprised that he has a full blown English accent I assumed for some reason that he was from Donegal and moved from England at a very young age. 

Same, but then again his father is English and he and all his siblings were born and raised in London ..id imagine his mothers accent isnt a typical strict Derry one either having lived over there so long too.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 12:58pm

Moved to Donegal at 9 I believe.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Moved to Donegal at 9 I believe.

Certainly didn't lose any of the English accent anyway.

Was expecting another Seamie

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 8:12pm
Yeah, he's certainly retained a fairly untainted Cockney accent; no mean feat if you've spent most of your life in Donegal/Derry.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 8:27pm
Anybody know how he pronounces 'scone'? 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 8:18am
He has 11 siblings Shocked Definitely a strict Irish catholic upbringing there 

Posted By: Howdo
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 8:39am

He has 11 siblings Shocked Definitely a strict Irish catholic upbringing there 

They all from the same bull?

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote: