You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryan Johansson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 41>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:22am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

It's all that blokes fault on IFFTV for ringing his ma

Please tell me he didn’t LOL

Rang her twice on different videos!
Danger here, OH NO
Sponsored Links

The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:02am

What a f**knut
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 12:58pm

What a f**knut
Will have to wait til the weather picks up to make the next video about him. It’s awfully cold for a wife-bearer yet. Seen him posting about going to Bratislava. Will be interesting to see if he gets a ticket with no away games previously.

Edited by Donegalman - 23 Jan 2020 at 12:58pm
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 12:58pm
Can he ring her again and get to the bottom of this? 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 1:06pm
I have heard from a good source that he is a complete t**ser LOL

Just have a look at his Instagram stories. He thinks he's gods gift!

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 23 Jan 2020 at 1:07pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

What a f**knut
Will have to wait til the weather picks up to make the next video about him. It’s awfully cold for a wife-bearer yet. Seen him posting about going to Bratislava. Will be interesting to see if he gets a ticket with no away games previously.

Almost certain he went to one of the games in Cardiff. Definitely think I saw a fella in a vest.

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:12pm
Have to laugh at lads on here. If people aren't being needy as fcuk looking for instant information on things then they're slating someone for how they get it. His info on this story was bang on. Don't know him well but did a podcast with him last year and he's a nice lad. There's an audience for what he does on social media so fair dues to him. Not my thing but clearly some are into it. People judging him on his Instagram profile ffs. LOL

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 23 Jan 2020 at 2:41pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:39pm
 https://twitter.com/kennyskids/status/1220350175786520576?s=21

Doesn’t seem like a great sign for our other potential players caught up in the same eligibility issue 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Have to laugh at lads on here. If people aren't being needy as fcuk looking for instant information on things then they're slating someone for how they get it. His info on this story was bang on. Don't know him well but did a podcast with him last year and he's a nice lad. There's an audience for what he does on social media so fair dues to him. Not my thing but clearly some are into it. People judging him on his Instagram profile ffs. LOL
Surely the fact he has one is enough to judge him on?
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Doesn’t seem like a great sign for our other potential players caught up in the same eligibility issue 

For British/Irish players, I’m wondering if there is more leeway because of the dual travel agreement. There’s also the gentleman’s agreement to consider. I don’t know ... hopefully. 

It’s been a year since Crowley reported he had submitted his paperwork to FIFA. Doesn’t feel promising 

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

For British/Irish players, I’m wondering if there is more leeway because of the dual travel agreement. There’s also the gentleman’s agreement to consider. I don’t know ... hopefully. 

It’s been a year since Crowley reported he had submitted his paperwork to FIFA. Doesn’t feel promising 

This issue is governed by FIFA's Eligibility Rules, which make no reference to any sort of "dual travel agreement", or anything like it.

As for some "gentlemans' agreement" (between IFA and FAI), many ROI fans deny that it ever even existed, despite all the circumstantial evidence over the decades. But in any case, whether it did or didn't exist, there certainly was never one between Luxembourg and ROI! And in any case, an Association voluntarily declining to pick a player eligible for both themselves and another Association is not the same as that other Association (here FAI) being prevented by FIFA's rules from picking him in the first place.

Fact is, FIFA look to have taken a literal interpretation of their own rules on this one.

Just as they did eg in the dispute between NI and ROI on a different aspect of the rules (Kearns etc).

If only you still had a John Delaney-type around to argue your case for having it both ways. I mean, he pulled off a masterstroke with "Team 33", don't ye know!

(I may have got that last bit wrong Wink)

Edited by Territorial - 23 Jan 2020 at 3:41pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

This issue is governed by FIFA's Eligibility Rules, which make no reference to any sort of "dual travel agreement", or anything like it.

As for some "gentlemans' agreement" (between IFA and FAI), many ROI fans deny that it ever even existed, despite all the circumstantial evidence over the decades. But in any case, whether it did or didn't exist, there certainly was never one between Luxembourg and ROI! And in any case, an Association voluntarily declining to pick a player eligible for both themselves and another Association is not the same as that other Association (here FAI) being prevented by FIFA's rules from picking him in the first place.

Fact is, FIFA look to have taken a literal interpretation of their own rules on this one.

Just as they did eg in the dispute between NI and ROI on a different aspect of the rules (Kearns etc).

If only you still had a John Delaney-type around to argue your case for having it both ways. I mean, he pulled off a masterstroke with "Team 33", don't ye know!

(I may have got that last bit wrong Wink)

I think you have a long established and discussed viewpoint on this Terrance, one that I’m not keen to revive or argue, honestly. I’m living in hope that there might be grounds for appeal based in Crowleys case, given the complexity of his career with us/England underage, the timing of these new regulations. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:11pm

I think you have a long established and discussed viewpoint on this Terrance, one that I’m not keen to revive or argue, honestly.

Fair enough.

I’m living in hope that there might be grounds for appeal based in Crowleys case, given the complexity of his career with us/England underage, the timing of these new regulations. 
I think your hopes are misplaced on this one, for if anything, Crowley's case must be further evidence that the FAI are onto a loser over this.

Fact is, Crowley has never "officially" represented the ROI to date (U-17 friendlies don't count), but he has done so for England (obv).

Therefore the Johansson case would seem to confirm that unless he was entered on the Register of Foreign Births before his first competitive England U-17 game (2012 or 2103?), it is too late for him to become eligible for ROI.

And considering it's nearly a year since he requested the FAI to sort his transfer with FIFA, had he been eligible, we'd surely have heard by now, indeed Mick would surely have called him up to have a look before now, or Stephen Kenny for the U-21's:
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/soccer/danny-crowley-commits-to-ireland-cause-906329.html

Remember, Johansson's case was brought and decided since then - I suspect the FAI have been holding fire on Crowley (and others?) until that was finally resolved.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Let's be honest, we're only talking about the guy cause he played for Bayern, now he's moved on to the Sevilla B team. 

I think I'll hold off on the waterworks for now to see what becomes of him. He may turn out pretty good, but maybe no better than Molumby or Knight could be. 

I'd be surprised if he ends up being anywhere near as good as Molumby or Knight to be honest. But it would have been good to have him with us just in case.

Like others I'm more worried about the precedent being set here. If the Fifa ruling sticks it's effectively the end of the granny rule as most players that come to us through it will have already played underage for England, such as Crowley and also Robinson if he was trying to declare now.

Might be one for Niall Quinn to look into, not that he doesn't have enough else to be getting on with. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:20pm
On a related point, the Chinese FA have been trying to naturalize England U21 cap Tyias Browning for a year or so (via a Chinese grandparent), and I’m sure they haven’t given up hope. If FIFA doesn’t care about Ireland (they don’t) they definitely care abut China. Hopefully this reading of the rules is quickly clarified/abolished. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Like others I'm more worried about the precedent being set here. If the Fifa ruling sticks it's effectively the end of the granny rule as most players that come to us through it will have already played underage for England, such as Crowley and also Robinson if he was trying to declare now.

Except that this is not "setting a precedent" (unless you consider applying the rules as intended and written to be unprecedented).

Rather it seems that Johansson has merely been the first time this has been tested, following a challenge by another Association.

Further, there may well have been other cases (and not just ROI) where someone has slipped through the net, because the Association "losing out" either hasn't noticed the rule, or didn't appreciate its significance, or couldn't be arsed to challenge it.

And additionally, there may have been other cases which have been challenged in private between the two Associations, and the other Association has quietly dropped it without fuss.

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Might be one for Niall Quinn to look into, not that he doesn't have enough else to be getting on with. 
If Johansson's lawyers couldn't find a way past this, I very much doubt Quinn could (no harm to the man).
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:58pm
FIFA do make "special dispensations" in cases of obvious unfairness (Deklan Wynne being allowed to represent New Zealand, for example). Given Ireland's difficult history of immigration (ie why Johansson's mother was not born here despite being a fully fledged Irish woman, and consequently Ryan being punished due to that fact), I'd have thought there was room for one here. Certainly, there's a case to be made based on it which could make FIFA look very bad if it was pushed; ie punishing the citizens of historically disadvantaged countries due to the fact their parents/grandparents had to emigrate, and thus through no fault of their own being born in a different country.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

FIFA do make "special dispensations" in cases of obvious unfairness (Deklan Wynne being allowed to represent New Zealand, for example). Given Ireland's difficult history of immigration (ie why Johansson's mother was not born here despite being a fully fledged Irish woman, and consequently Ryan being punished due to that fact), I'd have thought there was room for one here. Certainly, there's a case to be made based on it which could make FIFA look very bad if it was pushed; ie punishing the citizens of historically disadvantaged countries due to the fact their parents/grandparents had to emigrate, and thus through no fault of their own being born in a different country.

MOPE ALERT! Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 41>
  Share Topic