Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Don't forget we also have training facilities in Abbotstown , Carlton House and Malahide which has been used visiting teams since FAI moved to Abbotstown.
Of course.

But if you have, say, four Group teams playing in Dublin, they won't want to share training facilities, they'll want their own.
Send them to Cork so no need to leave the jurisdiction Fota is big training base for National and Premier league teams.

England as it stands can’t do it on their own they have 11 stadia above the 40K capacity and a big chunk of these in London.

As it stands they need help.

Ofcourse they can, what a silly thing to say! They bidded for a World Cup recently!

Just because they don't have X amount of stadiums doesn't mean they wouldn't in 8-9 years time, even Plymouth Argyle's stadium who were in league 2 at the time was shortlisted to host a match!
Coyne I’m not stupid thatS why I said twice as it stands.

There must be a better chance of them hosting it with other nations involved and have learned from their mistakes of past application.
Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 6:49pm

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Don't forget we also have training facilities in Abbotstown , Carlton House and Malahide which has been used visiting teams since FAI moved to Abbotstown.
Of course.

But if you have, say, four Group teams playing in Dublin, they won't want to share training facilities, they'll want their own.
Send them to Cork so no need to leave the jurisdiction Fota is big training base for National and Premier league teams.

England as it stands can’t do it on their own they have 11 stadia above the 40K capacity and a big chunk of these in London.

Ofcourse they can, what a silly thing to say! They bidded for a World Cup recently!

Just because they don't have X amount of stadiums doesn't mean they wouldn't in 8-9 years time, even Plymouth Argyle's stadium who were in league 2 at the time was shortlisted to host a match!
Coyne I’m not stupid thatS why I said twice as it stands.

There must be a better chance of them hosting it with other nations involved and have learned from their mistakes of past application.

They lost purely on politics nothing else. Voting for the World Cup hosts has become similar to the Eurovision where they don't really care what's on offer more if they like the country or not. 
With the amount of Premier League revenue the English FA get and were willing to hand out on freebies point even League 2 clubs were going to be showing off 40,000 stadiums England could host a tournament within 6 months notice easy, so to say that they 'need help' is actually crazy.

What they need help with is the political side of it hence why the FAI have been drafted in.

But because of who they're up against they've picked the wrong year to try and host, if they went for 2034 they'd stand a much bigger chance.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 6:50pm

Of course.

You (and some others) might like to think about the implications behind such comments.

That is, it isn't enough that the English should give you an Invitation to their Party, but you want to make it conditional upon NI being excluded, even from a minor role (Training Base), a minor role which you wouldn't even have to pay for?

I do hope that you and the forum's other objectors aren't also advocates of a "united" [sic] Ireland football team, since this attitude sits doesn't sit very comfortably with the above does it?

"Northmen, Southmen, Comrades all..." Wacko

[Btw, nice use of the term "jurisdiction" - it comes in handy when you want to avoid saying "island"]

As 'Coyne' quite correctly pointed out above, that's nonsense.

And it's nonsense even before you bring in Wales and Scotland.

Anyhow, I must say, this thread has surprised even me by how quickly some posters have gone from Ignorance to Delusion to Entitlement, without even thinking to stop off for a minute at Reality, never mind Gratitude. Confused

I was never a fan of “ Sean South” and to be fair I couldn’t give a fiddlers what happens up north nothing todo with me.
If all they have to offer is a training pitch I’d much rather it be another location down south of Dublin rather than than going up north as it would be a once in a life time opportunity for some venue.
Now if Casement Park can come to their rescue well and good.

But I can see the north having their training pitch just to ensure a vote 

I know dam well UK has more stadia ready to go and grounds can easily be increased in time to host a WC.
I clearly stated as it stands.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

FIFA never have stands with no roofs on them in the World Cup. More money so for Pairc Ui Chaoimh?
There were those temporary stands behind the goals that actually went outside the ground at the Ekaterinburg stadium at the 2018 World Cup. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

FIFA never have stands with no roofs on them in the World Cup. More money so for Pairc Ui Chaoimh?
The 2026 final is likely to be in a stadium with no roof over any stand
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 7:37pm
was the World Cup final in 1994 not in LA in a stadium with no roof the rose bowl?
AKA pedantic kunt
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 8:09pm
Italia 90 vs England, Cagliari 1-1 No roof
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 8:25pm
Sure there used to be loads of stadiums without roofs used at World Cups, most of them probably

Even up to France 98 this was the case to an extent

The cut off point came with the 2002 World Cup 

Pretty much everything from that on was FIFAland

The US is an exception, they build their stadiums differently, they're usually either domes or fully open air with no cover at all

theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:23pm
Marseille France 98 is the last I can remember were their was no roof.  
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:28pm
Not sure how reliable this is. 

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/roof-at-sao-paulo-stadium-won-t-be-finished-for-world-cup-1.1801413%3fmode=amp

“It is important to highlight that there is no obligation, neither from Fifa nor from the local organising committee, that Fifa World Cup stadia offer roofs protecting 100 per cent of the stands.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I can't see any reason why a world cup bid fronted by the UK wouldn't be able to get the support of the rest of Europe. 
Oh, actually....

My understanding is that England have always, and legitimately in my eyes, seen their bids as speaking for themselves. Which they do. They have the de-centralised stadiums, they have the training facilities, they have the infrastructure, and they have the hospitality. They also have a long history of hosting major events, which the public flock around (I accept Euro 96 was not especially well attended due to ticket prices), but you wouldn't have the embarrassing empty seat moments which seem to be recurring at recent tournaments. But they put a lot of faith in not being outvoted, and often for reasons beyond the quality of the bid.

yeah like when they reneged on the their agreement to support the German FA when they ( the germans) backed the English Fa for euro 96 in treturn for English support for the WC in 2006 only for the English FA to think we should go for the WC ourselves  after the 'success' of euro 96
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:55pm
As a massive city, London is well capable of hosting two groups, 8 teams. West/North - Wembley and the Bridge, East/North - Arsenal/Spurs/West Ham.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Rustenburg in South Africa, site of England v USA

Stadium looked very Cagliari actually
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 11:30pm
sur even if it does rain the boys with the ponchos will do a roaring trade it would be like having loads of all Ireland replays in the  Ed same  year 

Edited by Fruice - 02 Mar 2021 at 11:31pm
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:11am
With brexit looking likely to create a united Ireland, probably in and around 2030, we should bid for it alone and invite Terri to cut the ribbon at the opening ceremony. A beautiful gesture of unity.

We could even sting the fantastic HMG along to get a bit of money out of them before we drop the lone bid bombshell.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:33am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Rustenburg in South Africa, site of England v USA

Stadium looked very Cagliari actually

Very like it all right. Not a great stadium. 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 10:34am

Sure there used to be loads of stadiums without roofs used at World Cups, most of them probably

The US is an exception, they build their stadiums differently, they're usually either domes or fully open air with no cover at all

From watching on TV every match post 2006 looks like it was played in the same stadium nearly
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 10:36am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

From watching on TV every match post 2006 looks like it was played in the same stadium nearly
Yeah, watching the games played in neutral stadiums in Champions League last month, those stadiums in Budapest/Bucharest could have passed for anywhere in Europe. Very boring
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
  Share Topic