You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IPTV worth it ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 16>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaroG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 12:09pm
Off topic here but wasn't sure where else to post. Used to have Sky about 5 years ago. After I cancelled it still had the free to Air channels on it but they all went last year. Is the box completely useless now or is there any way of getting back these channels? 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Have a look at www.onebigswitch.ie for a broadband deal with pure telecom. I was with them before and theyre grand. Its through the phone line so youll get the same speed as with eir or any other provider.

If you want completely sub free tv you’ll still need to spend a bit initially. For Saorview you’ll need an aerial. Then a satellite dish for freesat www.freesat.co.uk which is the British free to air channels. Sticking up a dish is very easy, id suggest buying one second hand on done deal or adverts. An old sky dish will do or you can pick them up in power city i think also. Also a ream of coax, again in power city and it comes with the connectors.

After that, if youre telly has tuners then happy days, if not pick up a twin receiver sat box. They start cheap and depending on what you need (pause, rewind, recors, store) the price goes up. Probably sounds a bit daunting but actually not a lot to it.

Alternatively, just get the chromecast and go with an iptv sub for €50/€60 a year or so and get everything.

Cheers,Sham for such a detailed reply.Thumbs Up

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

The only new smart TVs that will pick up official free sat (with guides and recordings) are made by LG. Otherwise you ll need a decoder box. Not to confuse this with free to air.

Best decision I've ever made on relation to the house. Saorvire, free Sat and iptv on one device without a single box hooked up to the telly and no monthly bill. 

Sounds great.

Originally posted by Trap for Pope Trap for Pope wrote:

DO NOT GO NEAR EIR!!!! There are no Internet & TV providers with amazing customer service but theirs is downright atrocious and I've involved comreg in my current dispute with them. Saorview and IPTV/Smart STB is the way forward .I have the Smart STB app on my Samsung TV and it is mint. €2-€3 per month for the app and €12 per month for the sub. The sub gives me everything and I'm amazed at the quality. Feel free to PM if you want a number to contact, the interface is brilliant and EVERY channel is on it. The stream from US channels for the prem games is like watching a sky box for quality. 

Cheers, TFP. I couldn't believe the negative feedback Eir have online, It's incredible. PM sent.

If you want a satelitte I'm selling my one, I also have a lad that said he'd install it too. Would do you a good deal on it Thumbs Up
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 12:48pm
Tiviar Alpha Plus is a triple tuner box ,costs around €130.

It can receive terrestrial and satellite programs and an IPTV sub can also be added.

Can add  a 2.5 hard drive to record saorview/sat channels.

My mate got one a few weeks back,he reckons its a perfect job.There will be some initial setting up but I dont think its too difficult.He got all the info/guide's from one of the tech sites(can get the info later on).

If you have a dish and aerial already you would be set up and running for less than €250.
€130 for the box
< €50 for HDD
€60 for IPTV sub

saorview/sat has 7 day EPG and can record/pause/ etc.I think the IPTV is also 7 day EPG but not sure.

Edited by rossieman - 07 Jan 2019 at 12:49pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 1:05pm

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

My own sub is on FireStick too, is there a reason we can't use Chromecast for them? Are the apps more locked down or something?
Chromecast is just casting from another device isnt it? You cant physically put apps onto it I dont think. With the fire stick the app is on the device and operates in the same way more or less as having a box. 
Thumbs Up
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

I'd go with an Amazon Firestick the newest Version only launched and can be got for about €50 quid. Then obviously the IPTV sub plenty around and can be got for £50 a year the crowd I'm with. 
As for Saorview I bought this small little aeriel in Dealz for €1.50 and its perfect
I've also got a freeview box for UK Channels Box and Dish can be picked up cheap enough Lidl and Aldi coming into spring sell them and they'll do the Job but If you already have a Sky Dish on the roof that will work too. 

When did you buy that in Dealz and which Dealz was it?

Was in Omni earlier but they haven't stocked them in about a year, I was informed. Hoping to get my hands on one rather than pay Power City €25 for what is effectively the same thing.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by CaroG CaroG wrote:

Off topic here but wasn't sure where else to post. Used to have Sky about 5 years ago. After I cancelled it still had the free to Air channels on it but they all went last year. Is the box completely useless now or is there any way of getting back these channels? 
Sky may have rendered their box useless, but if you pick up a sattellite receiver you’ll get the channels back. Again as mentioned in other posts, you can go cheap and cheerful or splash a bit for extra features. Likewise if your telly has a tuner installed just connect the cable from the dish into the back of the telly and do a scan. 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 4:32pm

Sky may have rendered their box useless, but if you pick up a sattellite receiver you’ll get the channels back. Again as mentioned in other posts, you can go cheap and cheerful or splash a bit for extra features. Likewise if your telly has a tuner installed just connect the cable from the dish into the back of the telly and do a scan. 

What type of cable would that be?
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 5:02pm
Bought a new Xbox one at the weekend and have loaded Kodi directly onto it. Works much better than it did on my firestick great having everything loaded onto the one device going to setup my iptv onto it as well
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Co ax cable. The standard cable that runs from the dish itself into the sky box normally. It can be connected to any tv with a built in tuner or any satellite reciever box. It would usually have the little circular silver connection that screws insame as a upc/virgin cable.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 10:09pm

Co ax cable. The standard cable that runs from the dish itself into the sky box normally. It can be connected to any tv with a built in tuner or any satellite reciever box. It would usually have the little circular silver connection that screws insame as a upc/virgin cable.

Nice one.
CaroG View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaroG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 12:33am

Can I throw out the Sky box then or would I still need it to get these free channels?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:36am

Can I throw out the Sky box then or would I still need it to get these free channels?
You said its not working? If so then throw it out, either connect the canle that would have went into the back of the sky box directly into the telly (if it has a tuner installed) or the new digi box.

Edited by Sham157 - 08 Jan 2019 at 6:37am
CaroG View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaroG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 12:25pm

You said its not working? If so then throw it out, either connect the canle that would have went into the back of the sky box directly into the telly (if it has a tuner installed) or the new digi box.

I no longer have Sky and it doesn't pick up the signal for the free to air channels anymore. Wasn't sure if you meant the Sky box could be used in some way to get the channels with cables etc. Throwing out an old tv so the Sky box can go with it 👍
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:06pm

I'd go with an Amazon Firestick the newest Version only launched and can be got for about €50 quid. Then obviously the IPTV sub plenty around and can be got for £50 a year the crowd I'm with. 
As for Saorview I bought this small little aeriel in Dealz for €1.50 and its perfect
I've also got a freeview box for UK Channels Box and Dish can be picked up cheap enough Lidl and Aldi coming into spring sell them and they'll do the Job but If you already have a Sky Dish on the roof that will work too. 

When did you buy that in Dealz and which Dealz was it?

Was in Omni earlier but they haven't stocked them in about a year, I was informed. Hoping to get my hands on one rather than pay Power City €25 for what is effectively the same thing.
Shop in Finglas Village although that was about 6 months ago now to mention it. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 11:06am
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 11:30am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 11:37am
I can't get it too load its on the RTE page LOL A pub down in Tullamore was ordered to pay €10 Grand for Showing Man U Vs Spurs last week Via IPTV. 

Edited by irelandfan - 18 Jan 2019 at 11:39am
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 11:49am

I can't get it too load its on the RTE page LOL A pub down in Tullamore was ordered to pay €10 Grand for Showing Man U Vs Spurs last week Via IPTV. 

There is a lot more to it than simply showing the Spurs v United game last weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 16>
  Share Topic