You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Presidential Election 2018 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 3:12am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Michael D Higgins Clap People taking the piss out of his name Thumbs Down

You obviously didn't see the kid's test answers that did the rounds a few months back. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:24am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

@Hetfield 

Just out of curiousity, what elements of his presidency were you not entirely favourable towards?  

I'm struggling to think of anything truly negative whether it's any polarizing views he may have or controversies he was involved in. 

It's very little, but I felt in his very early days his speeches occasionally veered on policy, which is not his remit. I was also not a fan of his statement after Castro's death, which I feel could have been better thought out and executed when there is a lot more to the legacy of Castro. He has certainly moved away from my first gripe a long time ago, to the point that it's no longer an issue.

But over the course of seven years it's hard to get everything right. I recall Mary McAleese's comments about Turkish entry to the EU. So like I said, it wouldn't bother me enough to stop me voting for him or accepting him as President in coronation situation.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Another reason most will be happy for him to stay on is the lack of genuine other candidates, I'd forgotten Sean Gallagher existed, and don't know what he is, who he purports to represent or why he's even in the public eye in the first place. Was he on some TV programme or some such ? Doesn't matter anyway, he'll get another 15 minutes this time around, maybe less if he has to spend his own money as opposed to FF's. 

Not for the first time, FF have seen the way the wind is blowing and rowed in fully behind him. The Shinners will probably have to wait for James McClean to retire, they could find any oul candidate that would attract their own vote and a few protest votes, but nobody to take on someone of Michael D's popularity. FG have never held the Presidency & if Leo has any sense at all (not sure on that) he'll stay well away from it too, there isn't anything to be gained by a likely defeat other than the other parties thinking they can then defeat them in the one that matters. 

LOLLOLLOL

I'd vote for him, but god help the animosity during any British state visits
daraghj82 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daraghj82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 3:02pm
what about bertie ? LOL
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by daraghj82 daraghj82 wrote:

what about bertie ? LOL

Would still get a core FF vote, which thankfully is a lot less than it used to be these days, but overall, not a feckin chance that either FF would nominate him or he that would be elected. Any opposition would have an absolute field day asking him about bank accounts, money won on horses, the tribunals, the housing bubble, the recession, the banks etc etc, and FF would end up throwing him out of the party, sorry, getting him to 'resign' again. 

FG also behind Michael D and went as far as said they would campaign for him & all, looks like Leo (or at least his advisers) do have some bit of political sense after all. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:47pm
What do people think of SF's decision to nominate a runner ? I assume we will see another couple of independents challenging Higgins. Joan Freeman is also supposed to be also interested. 
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Michael D Higgins Clap People taking the piss out of his name Thumbs Down

You obviously didn't see the kid's test answers that did the rounds a few months back. 
Of course I did. It was funny then.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 12:09am
Michael D will beat any Sinn Fein candidate. He'll win >70% of the vote in a two horse race. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:17am

What do people think of SF's decision to nominate a runner ? I assume we will see another couple of independents challenging Higgins. Joan Freeman is also supposed to be also interested. 
Gives SF a chance to go campaigning and give out about how the main parties are useless - they've no interest in winning the presidency, it's about upping their numbers in the polls for the next General/Local elections
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:22am
It's an interesting decision. SF either run a "father-figure" type candidate, who will never be able to get the required votes to win, or a lesser known candidate who will effectively be a "paper candidate", whose candidacy will be used to express how keen the party are in democracy. Shedite is right, this is with numerous upcoming elections in mind, and a chance to act as the premier "opposition".
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It's an interesting decision. SF either run a "father-figure" type candidate, who will never be able to get the required votes to win, or a lesser known candidate who will effectively be a "paper candidate", whose candidacy will be used to express how keen the party are in democracy. Shedite is right, this is with numerous upcoming elections in mind, and a chance to act as the premier "opposition".

SF will run a relatively young female candidate, someone like Lynn Boylan or Teresa Ferris
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:05am
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

SF will run a relatively young female candidate, someone like Lynn Boylan or Teresa Ferris

Boylan has said she won't run
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:25am
Ferris has been controversial with some of her statements in the past. These would undoubtedly be raised in a Presidential run.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:31am

Ferris has been controversial with some of her statements in the past. These would undoubtedly be raised in a Presidential run.

Was she the one who refused to condemn Jerry McCabes shooting?
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:58am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Was she the one who refused to condemn Jerry McCabes shooting?

Her father Martin was involved in controversy surrounding this case I know anyway
daraghj82 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daraghj82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 1:15pm

SF candidate choice will be interesting some canon fodder names mentioned like lynn boylan, the ferri's, caomhain as well, jarry if he puts his name forward to SF would surely get the nomination
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 1:45pm
Michelle Gildernew and John Finucane being rumoured today
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 2:11pm
Yeah heard John Finucane alright....
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>
  Share Topic