You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saipan - Who was right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Poll Question: Who was correct in their actions?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
91 [69.47%]
40 [30.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 9:06am
There is never a scenario where Kane would throw a monster strop, ridicule his peers or manager and then storm off out of the world cup.

If Kane had an issue with the facilities, coaches, staff, food I am sure he would bring it to Southgate for discussion with the hope that it could be resolved.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Yeah he definitely should have been better.  He was old school from Jack's era.  His attention to detail was not there and was a blind spot of his.

Mick couldn't win there. Just imagine he did kick off at the FAI over it saying some of the players are upset over the R+R venue Ray Treacy picked. He would be then be criticized for stirring the pot, with people saying this will affect the young lads and why is he not focussing on the football. Or people saying could he not wait til after the tournament. 

Mick was clued in, and knew well the FAI shambles and was no gillie, he also knew he has to be as pragmatic as possible in an imperfect world. Roy throwing a strop would not have changed that. 

Edited by dangere_here - 24 Nov 2022 at 2:37pm
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 2:59pm
I do not know why people think we would have been immune from the South Korean reffing shenanigans if we beat Spain. 

We wouldnt have beaten them. We wouldnt have been allowed.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

I do not know why people think we would have been immune from the South Korean reffing shenanigans if we beat Spain. 

Was it the 2nd round where South Korea beat Italy?  Trap was manager and they were cheated. 3 goals disallowed. Awful shenanigans involved in that match.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:11pm

Was it the 2nd round where South Korea beat Italy?  Trap was manager and they were cheated. 3 goals disallowed. Awful shenanigans involved in that match.

Yeah and then they had the same sh*te against Spain. Bunch of legitimate goals disallowed.

In theory it's easy to say that we would have had a good chance against South Korea but the reality is that we would have been screwed the exact same.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I don't know.  Maybe he was but just thought no point in kicking off about it as there was nothing he could do at that point and just get on with it with.

The same way he did Feic all about the training setup in Dublin out at the airport and the situation on planes. Mick accepted sub standard conditions for years from the fai and he never publicly supported Keane when he was forced to fight for it along with other players.  If I have a member of staff pushing up and driving standard I don’t think they are above their station.  That’s what they are meant to do.  Managing up is a skill too and Keane didn’t have it as he was abrasive and mick didn’t have it as he was too nice.  
Mick didn’t train the team at the Dublin Airport he trained them out at St Francis ground in Baldonnell
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 6:38pm

Yeah and then they had the same sh*te against Spain. Bunch of legitimate goals disallowed.

In theory it's easy to say that we would have had a good chance against South Korea but the reality is that we would have been screwed the exact same.

Exactly this. Zero chance we'd have beaten them, two games where the refs decided it. 

The narrative that got created afterwards that we were as good as in the semis was laughable. 

It's actually embarrassing looking back at how the whole country lost their sh1t over it and reading the last few pages of the same tired arguments over and over again just indicates how deep it's engrained. Do the Dutch bang on about Cruyff walking in 78 or Gullit doing it in 94? After twenty years it's time to leave it behind. 

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

There is never a scenario where Kane would throw a monster strop, ridicule his peers or manager and then storm off out of the world cup.

If Kane had an issue with the facilities, coaches, staff, food I am sure he would bring it to Southgate for discussion with the hope that it could be resolved.

Just because Keane was bang out of order it doesn’t mean that Mick didn’t make huge mistakes.  It’s quite possible for both people to be wrong in an argument.   As I said mick is a nice guy but he wasn’t in top of the detail and his placed his trust in incompetent amateurs.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

I don't know.  Maybe he was but just thought no point in kicking off about it as there was nothing he could do at that point and just get on with it with.

The same way he did Feic all about the training setup in Dublin out at the airport and the situation on planes. Mick accepted sub standard conditions for years from the fai and he never publicly supported Keane when he was forced to fight for it along with other players.  If I have a member of staff pushing up and driving standard I don’t think they are above their station.  That’s what they are meant to do.  Managing up is a skill too and Keane didn’t have it as he was abrasive and mick didn’t have it as he was too nice.  
Mick didn’t train the team at the Dublin Airport he trained them out at St Francis ground in Baldonnell

Really LOL

AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Exactly this. Zero chance we'd have beaten them, two games where the refs decided it. 

The narrative that got created afterwards that we were as good as in the semis was laughable. 

It's actually embarrassing looking back at how the whole country lost their sh1t over it and reading the last few pages of the same tired arguments over and over again just indicates how deep it's engrained. Do the Dutch bang on about Cruyff walking in 78 or Gullit doing it in 94? After twenty years it's time to leave it behind. 

Big time and too many people picked a side and then defended their side beyond any logic, rather than take a step back and say where were the errors across the board from Keane to the Fai to Mick etc.  Because Keane was so unreasonable it took the eye off Micks performance as a manager in all of it and people felt sorry for him on a human level rather than actually look at his performance as a manager of a high performing outlier in the squad.  The Keane loyalists were totally blinded by it all so much as to hate Mick etc etc. these were nearly all from Cork or Man Utd fans.  You don’t see too many of them at Ireland games these days.  Very rarely you hear a cork accent on an away trip.  There are a few regulars but not too many as far as I can see.  
AKA pedantic kunt
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 8:32am
Maybe Keane over reacted, maybe McCarthy could have dealt with it better, maybe the FAI could have done a tad better with the logistics ..............

.....i know the above is a crazy mad opinion with no logic at all................. maybe i am just biased to work place behavior norms!

It's not me it's you:-)
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 9:12am
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Maybe Keane over reacted, maybe McCarthy could have dealt with it better, maybe the FAI could have done a tad better with the logistics ..............

.....i know the above is a crazy mad opinion with no logic at all................. maybe i am just biased to work place behavior norms!

Great post 👍. Sums it up really. 
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 12:51pm
love Keane to bits and always will, he’s given the country so much to watch & cheer. So rare for us to have such an elite global player, will we ever get another lol. But he was wrong to walk out on the country in a WC. End of. I think when he became manager he realised how sh*t a position he put Mick in. Mick still got great performances from the team without his best player and that deserves to be recognised. All the pro-Kenny extremists seem to forget what Mick gave to us as a player & manager. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 12:59pm
At least we can all agree who was really at fault

Stephen Kenny.  
AKA pedantic kunt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 1:04pm
It certainly wasn't Gerry Peyton's fault.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 1:31pm

Actually I think it might be.  He taught Bonner everything he knew and it was the Bonner and Keane who has the first fight in Saipan over keepers in matches.   

So I would blame Payton too. 
AKA pedantic kunt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 1:34pm

Actually I think it might be.  He taught Bonner everything he knew and it was the Bonner and Keane who has the first fight in Saipan over keepers in matches.   

So I would blame Payton too. 

Shocked
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 1:42pm

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
  Share Topic