Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56388
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 3:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Saipan - Who was right?
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: Saipan - Who was right?
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:38am
Roy in a tell all interview has revealed he didnt react strongly enough and let the manager away lightly

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:34pm
Roy was too concerned with man United too give a damm!!

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 1:22pm
Both could have handled it better.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:32pm
Do you really want me to tell yer .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:43pm
Was interesting to hear Duff saying he's not so sure we'd have done any better with Roy at the world cup , and what happened might have galvanised the squad together. I always thought that myself but didn't think id hear a member of the team saying it

Posted By: Icy Bread People
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:50pm
Are you not tired of this f**king conversation? It's almost as bad as the "We would have won the world cup" if we had beaten Spain, lol.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

It's the easy option to call it 50/50 when it clearly isn't. Keane undermined his manager, had a history of indiscipline in the Irish set up going back to Charlton and let his country down on the eve of the world cup. He even stated in his own autobiography that United were his employer and they more it less took precedence over the national team.  The FAI's incompetence or McCarthy not stroking precious Roy's ego enough will ever excuse what Keane did. The other 22 squad of players did the country proud without their captain and best player who sat on his arse in Manchester. 

Keane's world class ability gives him a shield from his loyal followers who believe he  is right no matter what he does or did before. It's a waste of time debating with these people. They're loyal to Keane in the same way the Trumpists are with the Donald. He can do no wrong. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 8:17pm
No option for them both being wrong?

I’m sure if they could go back in time things would be different.

-------------

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 8:28pm
I reckon Delaney orchestrated the whole thing. He hasn’t looked back since.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

I reckon Delaney orchestrated the whole thing. He hasn’t looked back since.

I hope you're kidding Reddladd LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

No option for them both being wrong?

I’m sure if they could go back in time things would be different.

It's good that there's no option for both being wrong because Keane was primarily the instigator in this no matter how much he or his fans can point to the FAI's incompetence as a backdrop. It was Keane's choice not to play in the 2002 world cup once he undermined his manager. 

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:41pm
Keane was in wretched humour going into it but McCarthy accusing Keane of faking injury was outrageous.

Roy shoulda played and then let rip, McCarthy f**ked up badly calling that meeting and saying Keane didn't go to Iran faking injury. 

Lock this thread actually. Angry

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Keane was in wretched humour going into it but McCarthy accusing Keane of faking injury was outrageous.

Roy shoulda played and then let rip, McCarthy f**ked up badly calling that meeting and saying Keane didn't go to Iran faking injury. 

Lock this thread actually. Angry

Not excusing McCarthy jumping with two feet in falsely accusing Keane in that instance but Keane's attitude towards the Irish team stunk years before that FW. Keane's commitment to this country should justifiably be questioned and you only need to read his book to see the contempt he had for our friendly games/tournaments out of his own words  not mine. Robbie Keane would give him a lesson in what it means to captain your country. 

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Is the only answer 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:15pm
Both could have handled it better except McCarthy.

Keane's newspaper interview where he sl*gged off players publicly was the end point. Saying thats why some of them.are playing where they are is no way for a captain to talk about hia fellow players. Krane had an enormous ego and still does and looked down on everyone else.  Even in Tommy Gormans interview he gets seriosuly offended when its put to him "if the team took you back"  and he replies "take ME back?? What do you mean take ME back" as if its him who should take them back for betraying him.

McCarthy had no choice but to have a clear the air meeting as the players wpuld have read that interview. Keane reacted badly and things had already gone too far when he was accused of faking injury (which he did).  He disappeared and didnt turn up for the US Cup in 1996 and basically hated McCarthy from the start and coupdnt wait for an opportunity to rip his head off.

Maybe McCarthy could have handled it better but I am not sure how.  Once Keane aired his views there was a toxic atmosphere that had to be confronted.  Also Keane had told McCarthy he wanted to go home bwfore arsing him about and changing his mind. What was all that about??  Would any sane person walk away from a World Cup because the footballs were a day late arriving?

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 1:24am
Who cares.  Doesn't matter who was right, who was wrong. There was no winner in the whole episode (maybe Matt holland).
If rather not remember it. 

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:55am
Was it better for Irish football that it happened?

As Duff said, would we have really got any further with Keane?

Is the team treated better now as a result?

Posted By: TRV
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 11:03am
team managed to beat Saudi Arabia without him snd were unlucky against ten man Spain next round 

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 11:36am
Jaysus the same outdated bollox been posted just for attention and the usual muppet jumping in with both his left feet, mods need to lock this , there are enough shoite threads on it already

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 11:37am
Keane acted the cnt and his interview as trap says was bang out of order.  But there was no evidence to suggest that the dressing room was toxic because of it.  The players had learned to live with Keane and laugh about it.  I think Mick got offended on their behalf and the clear the air meeting did anything bit clear the air.  Keane was bang out of order in his comments about his team mates.  But footballers are selfish and would have played with Keane no problem at they knew he was world class.   Mick didn't need to have a clear the air meeting and certainly didn't need to poke the bear.  His comments about Keane were as bad as Roy's about the squad.  The difference is Keane was never going to laugh them off. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:13pm
both wrong. Pair of egotistical muppets. Mick then compounded it against Spain by according to himself,” not noticing “ Spain were down to ten! f**king decent side we had too, played some good stuff.

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:29pm
The indo newspaper article yesterday was a bit of a joke. Keane explodes myth of him leaving because of the facilities?

If it was purely down to Mick accusing him of injury then why had he already walked out earlier that week only for Mick Byrne to persuade him to stay? This narrative off all being fine until the despicable manager dared suggest that a man who played for his club a few days after being too 'injured' to travel to Iran and who had regularly skipped Ireland games without even notifying the manager on occasion might have faked it has been peddled by the Keane set up since Dunphy's book and probably before. He probably believes it himself by now. It's not factual though. It's up there with the other myth that Saipan was a training camp rather than a rest and recreation stop. The training facilities in Japan were top class. And the myth that there were no balls or training gear. DHL mislaid 2 skips of official gear which were late arriving. But there was other gear there that was available.

I spoke to players over there about it. Their opinion was Roy just didn't want to be there. I've always thought that if Man U had won something that season Roy would have been more content and got on with it. The fact that they'd lost the CL semi to a club he didn't consider a big club and had seen Arsenal do the double was eating at him. He's admitted that the culture at Man U was driving him mad since the treble year and he couldn't handle the laid back attitude at Ireland despite the fact it worked for the rest of the squad. So engineered an exit.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Was it better for Irish football that it happened?

As Duff said, would we have really got any further with Keane?

Is the team treated better now as a result?

It's Interesting that the woman where treated with the same unprofessional conditions up until recently they never had a Saipan. However at the same time the general public after the world cup never really viewed the national team in the same light till about the playoffs in 2009 I'd say. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:36pm
Sure  wasn’t he asked by one of the Irish press at the time something like this . 

IS it mick ? No

Is it Saipan? no 

Is it the team no ?

Then what is it roy ?

It’s me me me 

For whatever reasons he just didn’t want to be there . 

Sadly for Keane it was him that missed out on a work cup . The rest got on with it . 

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 12:11am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Was interesting to hear Duff saying he's not so sure we'd have done any better with Roy at the world cup , and what happened might have galvanised the squad together. I always thought that myself but didn't think id hear a member of the team saying it

Yes, we played extremely well in the four games without him (apart from the first half against Cameroon) and went out of the tournament undefeated in normal time.

Would we have done any better with him in the team? It seems debatable.

Posted By: Ecumenical Matter
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 12:34am
Time for the assistant manager of a team that hasn’t qualified for the World Cup to realise that it‘s not about him.  Can an appearance on “I’m a celebrity get me outtahere” (never mind the punctuation as the show is rubbish) be far away?

Posted By: mandrake
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 11:27am
yeah I think duff was speaking for a lot of players when he said that a few weeks ago... pressure was released and they went out to spain..on penos , it was in out hands .. anyway its a long time ago now,...life goes on .. look at maradona now trying to get into the traing camps etc.. not only us that has problems,,

-------------
Come on Irelind

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 1:40pm
Strange comments from Keane... He did an interview a while back where he said he would have handled things differently and now he comes out with this

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 11:02pm
Why were we even in Saipan? 

Just go to Japan with its immaculate facilities and get to work. If you don't want to get to work straight away, then give the players some time off with their families for the first few days in Japan.

Saipan was a dream come true for the odious sh*te-stirring media. They must have loved every minute of it.

And whatever you say about Mick, at least he left when his time with Ireland was up. He wasn't hanging around after being hammered at home, like some others we could name.

A mere 2-1 loss got him the boot. FAI standards have really slipped since those days.

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Why were we even in Saipan? 

Just go to Japan with its immaculate facilities and get to work. If you don't want to get to work straight away, then give the players some time off with their families for the first few days in Japan.

Saipan was a dream come true for the odious sh*te-stirring media. They must have loved every minute of it.

And whatever you say about Mick, at least he left when his time with Ireland was up. He wasn't hanging around after being hammered at home, like some others we could name.

A mere 2-1 loss got him the boot. FAI standards have really slipped since those days.

The 4-2 loss to Russia and the 2-1 loss to Switzerland got him the sack.

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:04pm
As Drumcondra69 said Roy did not want to be there.

He failed to turn up in Sunderland for the Niall Quinn testimonial, and missed the briefing for the trip to Saipan.

Personally I reckon the press were just as scared of him as others and therefore sided with him regardless.

The purpose of going to Saipan was to acclimatize to the heat, and based on the fact that we came back from behind in 3 of our four games, and out played Spain in extra time suggests that it was successful.

Like D69, I talked to a few of the players in Chiba where they were based, and there was no sympathy for Roy and nothing but praise for the facilities in both Saipan and Chiba.

The fact that Mick never realised that Spain only had 10 players in ET, was really irrelevant as we threw everything at them going for a win, we never sat back. The players were extremely confident going into the Spain game and gave 110%.

I would say that the general consensus of Irish fans out there was Mick was right and Roy walked out. It is a fact that Roy only turned up when it suited himself, and he left for Manchester after the home play off leg against Iran without even informing Mick he was not going to Iran.

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:55am
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

I would say that the general consensus of Irish fans out there was Mick was right and Roy walked out. It is a fact that Roy only turned up when it suited himself, and he left for Manchester after the home play off leg against Iran without even informing Mick he was not going to Iran.
It was well known that Roy and Mick barely spoke (the handshake after beating Holland) and Keane would communicate with Mick Byrne the physio.

The time he didn't 'turn up' for the US Cup in 96 he rang the FAI but someone forgot to pass on the message, this is the FAI we're talking about.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

It was well known that Roy and Mick barely spoke (the handshake after beating Holland) and Keane would communicate with Mick Byrne the physio.

The time he didn't 'turn up' for the US Cup in 96 he rang the FAI but someone forgot to pass on the message, this is the FAI we're talking about.

Yes blame anyone but Roy, I mean he rings the FAI switch and says hi this is Roy, I'm not going to the Us and hangs up. That is contempt for his country nothing else.  Do you think he would have tried that with Utd?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:21pm

Leaving FAI incompetence aside, he should have turned up as captain of the team full stop. 

I find it hard to stomach that whole 'wrong on both sides/ 50/50 blame' when Keane had a record as long as your arm of indiscipline and contempt towards the Irish national team set up, previous manager prior to Saipan. 

I would take the word of the supporters from here that were out in Japan and got it from the horses mouth (players themselves) as to who was in the wrong and  who simply didn't want to be there. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:35pm
name the players who said that to the supporters 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

You'll have to ask the D69er and GF as I wasn't there but I would believe what they're saying is true. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 1:29pm

I'm not going to start naming people I had private conversations with but it is true that the players blacked out Roy's face from the team picture on the back of the team bus and also placed a card on his seat RIP

There was a song in the pubs where we were staying sung every night and also by parts of the crowd at games

Keano went mad
Keano had to go home
Not Quinn
Not Stan
Not Mick McCarthy
Keano went mad and had to go home 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 1:39pm
Why can't you name the players GF.  Have any of them contradicted themselves in subsequent media interviews. 

If that is true about the RIP thing, it's bang out of order in my opinion.  But when a group of lads full of testosterone get together common sense and fairness doesn't always prevail .

David Connolly and Ian Harte were rumoured to have had sympathy with Keane and Gary Been. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 1:51pm

Why can't you name the players GF.  Have any of them contradicted themselves in subsequent media interviews. 

If that is true about the RIP thing, it's bang out of order in my opinion.  But when a group of lads full of testosterone get together common sense and fairness doesn't always prevail .

David Connolly and Ian Harte were rumoured to have had sympathy with Keane and Gary Been. 

The RIP thing is true and has been mentioned in some players' books as far as I'm aware. It was a joke to relieve some of the tension, I wouldn't consider it as big a deal as being named captain for a US tour and not showing up at the airport without telling anyone for example.

Like GF, I'm not going to start naming people on a message board that I had private conversations with. But again, numerous players have said on the record that the facilities in Chiba were exceptional. Some have expressed regret that Keane didn't get to see them. You'd be amazed how many of the general public still think Saipan was the training camp.

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:05pm
I truly would be interested to know who would side with Keane 16 years after the whole affair.

In 2002 there was a combination of Keane being a worldy, playing with Man United, and the narrative that he dragged us to the finals. Since then, events have overtaken themselves and I feel with objective specs on it's hard to side with Keane.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I truly would be interested to know who would side with Keane 16 years after the whole affair.
In 2002 there was a combination of Keane being a worldy, playing with Man United, and the narrative that he dragged us to the finals. Since then, events have overtaken themselves and I feel with objective specs on it's hard to side with Keane.
Keane was in the wrong initially.
Mick threw jet fuel on the fire when he should have done his job and managed the situation.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: cullenswood
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:13pm

Conversations players have with random fans in a pub are hardly private, but anyway.

I also agree with Het-field.    I was definitely in the pro-Keane camp back in 02, but have changed my whole view on it since then.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:16pm

Keane was in the wrong initially.
Mick threw jet fuel on the fire when he should have done his job and managed the situation.

To me that is contingent on whether there remained any good faith between the parties. If not, it was likely to boil over at some point, and that could have been in the days or hours before the Cameroon game, or at another delicate point.

It's easy to injunct McCarthy to manage the situation, when he was the lightning rod for Keane's concerns and frustrations, and there was personal animosity there. It was a very hard situation to manage, especially as Keane had once decided to leave.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by cullenswood cullenswood wrote:

Conversations players have with random fans in a pub are hardly private, but anyway.

I also agree with Het-field.    I was definitely in the pro-Keane camp back in 02, but have changed my whole view on it since then.

Exactly I think lads you are giving too much gravitas to chats in pubs with players . 

Keane's behaviour was unacceptable on many occasions but that doesn't make what the players did regarding the RiP sign or what Mick did regarding making comments about his captain feigning injury  in front of the rest of the players.  A top class manager doesn't do that.  

Players are selfish and none of them would have batted an eyelid if Mick had a quiet word with Roy about his comments in the Irish times.  

That is in no way defending Keane's comments in the papers about his fellow team mates which were far from ideal and were unacceptable.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:32pm
Overall Baldrick would you say Keane was more in the wrong overall or more responsible/to blame for the dire situation between himself and McCarthy? 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:45pm
I would say Keane's poor behaviour at times contributed more to the negative situation that transpired.  It was then managed poorly also.  Keane has more questions to answer than Mick . What I don't go along with is the clowns who can't see any negatives from Keane or any negatives for Mick.  Fanboys rather than critical thinkers. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:58pm

Originally posted by cullenswood cullenswood wrote:

Exactly I think lads you are giving too much gravitas to chats in pubs with players . 

Keane's behaviour was unacceptable on many occasions but that doesn't make what the players did regarding the RiP sign or what Mick did regarding making comments about his captain feigning injury  in front of the rest of the players.  A top class manager doesn't do that.  

Players are selfish and none of them would have batted an eyelid if Mick had a quiet word with Roy about his comments in the Irish times.  

That is in no way defending Keane's comments in the papers about his fellow team mates which were far from ideal and were unacceptable.  

If said player chose his words in a measured manner which clearly implied that they were comments said in confidence then I'm not going to put them up on the internet. In any case, all he said was that it was clear from the off that, for whatever reason, Roy just didn't want to be there. He didn't profess to know why but it was someone who would have been in plenty of squads with him and so would have known him well.

I think you're being way over the top in relation to the RIP sign, it's gallows humour, nothing more. I'd say Keane himself would probably chuckle at that.

There was a narrative carefully created by Keane's people after Saipan and I'm amazed how many bought into it. In relation to his injury, it's a fact that he was git enough to play on the Saturday at home, declared himself unfit to play the second leg the following Thursday yet played for Man U 2 days later against Leicester on the Saturday, in the Champions League v Bayern the next Tuesday and again in the league v Arsenal the following weekend. You honestly think that's not picking and choosing? 

Keane had already walked once before then and I'm pretty sure was already having a go before missing the second leg got brough up. 

-------------

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 3:49pm
Roy Keane. A man who walked out when his county needed him most and who has deliberately gone out to hurt other players and wouldn't even apologize for his part in finishing another players carrear. I wouldnt have next or near the Ireland set up. Not the role model I want for my kids. 

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Roy Keane. A man who walked out when his county needed him most and who has deliberately gone out to hurt other players and wouldn't even apologize for his part in finishing another players carrear. I wouldnt have next or near the Ireland set up. Not the role model I want for my kids. 

He was sent home!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:27pm
There is an alternate way of looking at Mick's management, and say he did well to keep Roy on board as long as he did.

How anyone can even say that Roy's behavior in not turning up for the US Cup and allegedly ringing an unnamed FAI employee is acceptable is living on a different planet. Roy the manager would not accept that. Ireland was never his No 1 priority and still isn't. Personally the sooner he departs the better. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

He was sent home!

So why did he not turn up for the play off 2nd leg in Iran, and not even notify Mick he was not travelling?

D69 has listed the gamed he magically was fit for a few days later, and he has a history of the same carry on.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:34pm

There is an alternate way of looking at Mick's management, and say he did well to keep Roy on board as long as he did.

How anyone can even say that Roy's behavior in not turning up for the US Cup and allegedly ringing an unnamed FAI employee is acceptable is living on a different planet. Roy the manager would not accept that. Ireland was never his No 1 priority and still isn't. Personally the sooner he departs the better. 

Straw man argument I never said his behaviour was acceptable.  I have made comments which state that Keane was largely at fault and that mick made a mistake with regard to the meeting. I also said the players shouldn't have put the rip sign.  So to summarise. Keane was largely and fault but others didn't cover themselves in glory either. 

Yourself and drum want to paint a picture of mick and the rest the squad made no mistakes and Keane was 100 per cent fault for everything.  To me that is the more unreasonable argument which sees no good in Keane and no bad in mick.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:51pm
Why was calling a team meeting a miatake? Keane had said stuff in the papers and that was festering. Had to be addressed. Sweeping it under the carpet and you would have got a situation like Argentina where the manager is undermined.

-------------

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 5:38pm
The meeting was called over Roy's interview with he-who-we-no-longer-mention of The Irish Times where Roy criticised the training facilities (or therein lack of) in Saipan.  In all the years since then, I've yet to see any explanation how that descended into accusations of faking injury. 

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

The meeting was called over Roy's interview with he-who-we-no-longer-mention of The Irish Times where Roy criticised the training facilities (or therein lack of) in Saipan.  In all the years since then, I've yet to see any explanation how that descended into accusations of faking injury. 

And since then Roy had admitted that was not the problem, he also never explained why he never turned up for Quinns testimonial and for the team briefing.

The rest of the squad and Mick did their best but there is only one person responsible, and making excuses for him is sad IMO.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:45pm
Gf you are so blinded in your hatred for Keane.  You can't see any other side of it.  

Tell me how it benefited Ireland for the manager to accuse Roy Keane of faking an injury and miss a game. 

Take it as a given that Keane was bang out of order and was the one mostly at fault.  But that does not mean that Mick did not make a mistake by provoking the bear.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:06pm

Gf you are so blinded in your hatred for Keane.  You can't see any other side of it.  

Tell me how it benefited Ireland for the manager to accuse Roy Keane of faking an injury and miss a game. 

Take it as a given that Keane was bang out of order and was the one mostly at fault.  But that does not mean that Mick did not make a mistake by provoking the bear.  

But Roy did fake injuries

There had to be a clear the air meeting at some stage and the reality is Roy did not want yo play for Mick

I won't apologize for putting my country first every time something Roy never did.

Had Roy turned up in Sunderland he could have expressed his concerns but that's also Mick's fault 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:17pm
How did you put your country first.  You went on the lash for a few weeks and ate all around you like we all do FFS.   Don't give the martyr sh*te that's the likes of aido do.  You were on holidays FFS.  

Even if it's true that Roy faked injuries what purpose did it serve.  How did it benefit Ireland.  How was it good management.  You seem to think criticism of Mick is praise of Roy.  It's not either or.  It can be mix of both were more criticism for Roy.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:33pm

Straw man argument I never said his behaviour was acceptable.  I have made comments which state that Keane was largely at fault and that mick made a mistake with regard to the meeting. I also said the players shouldn't have put the rip sign.  So to summarise. Keane was largely and fault but others didn't cover themselves in glory either. 

Yourself and drum want to paint a picture of mick and the rest the squad made no mistakes and Keane was 100 per cent fault for everything.  To me that is the more unreasonable argument which sees no good in Keane and no bad in mick.  

That's not actually my position, I certainly think Mick could have handled it better. I can still recognise that Roy was being treated with kid gloves for a long time and treated differently as it was.

If it wss down to me I'd have let him skip Saipan .

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Why was calling a team meeting a miatake? Keane had said stuff in the papers and that was festering. Had to be addressed. Sweeping it under the carpet and you would have got a situation like Argentina where the manager is undermined.

Calling a meeting is not an issue.  Going on the attack is not good management as it did benefit Ireland in anyway.  Either did Keane's behaviour.   

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

That's not actually my position, I certainly think Mick could have handled it better. I can still recognise that Roy was being treated with kid gloves for a long time and treated differently as it was.

If it wss down to me I'd have let him skip Saipan .

Good stuff drum. Well said. Glad you clarified as would hate to pick you up wrong 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: irelandshirts
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:54pm
I found my itenary from Ray Treacy Travel for Japan 2002 the other night. I was struck with the line in the advice pack that "remember your mobile phone will not work in japan but you can rent a phone during your stay if you wish".

I took a camera with me to Japan that i had to bring home and get the film developed. Why do i mention it about Saipan? Technology was no where like today and with the time difference there was a communication lag between Ireland & Saipan.

I remember reading players waiting for news from home,papers going to print,players in internet cafes etc.The FAI statement crossed over with another statement when the players held a press conference etc

If we had internet,facebook,twitter etc then i dont think the fallout would have been as bad. We waited for Micks statement, then we waited for Roys interview with Tommy Gorman on RTE etc.It fed the will he,wont he,right or wrong.

-------------
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:58pm
The important thing is that we don't dwell on it...

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 11:37pm

Calling a meeting is not an issue.  Going on the attack is not good management as it did benefit Ireland in anyway.  Either did Keane's behaviour.   

Maybe I am wring but I think things had already passed the point of no return when Mick accused him of faking injury. I thonk Keane had torn strips off him and this was juat an interjection.

Thing is Keane did miss games he could have played in and was more than fit to play the Iran game in Tehran but decided not to to placate Ferguson. He also said in his book he "didnt do friendlies" and Ferguaon would pull them out of international duty with injuries.  

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 1:27am
Whether he missed games or not, how did it benefit Ireland for Mick to accuse Keane of faking injury.   It's a given that Keane was bang out of order.   The point I am making is Mick could have managed it better. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 8:55am

Maybe I am wring but I think things had already passed the point of no return when Mick accused him of faking injury. I thonk Keane had torn strips off him and this was juat an interjection.

Thing is Keane did miss games he could have played in and was more than fit to play the Iran game in Tehran but decided not to to placate Ferguson. He also said in his book he "didnt do friendlies" and Ferguaon would pull them out of international duty with injuries.  

“Maybe I am wring”
“I thonk Keane had”
“This was juat an interjection”
“And Ferguanon would pull”

Are you Officer Crabtree???

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 9:57am
Typing on my phone. Couldnt be arsed editing.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 7:16pm
Mick says Ireland woupdn't have gotten out of the group had Roy Keane played in 2002 because he was in such foul mood out there. I'd tend to agree.

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 7:36pm
Seriously, will "saipan" ever just f**k off

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 8:25pm
can someone remind me what happened again?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Seriously, will "saipan" ever just f**k off

This. Kind of surprised at Mick- there presumably was a time when he felt he had to 'justify' his actions, but that time is long gone. He has stated his position often enough over the years, can't see what's to be gained by dragging it up again. I know it was more Dunphy in this case (a man with no reputation for stirring the pot...) but Mick should have batted it away same as he did at the press conference last week. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 11:50pm
If he is going to spend the next two years talking about it then he should be paid off tomorrow.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:35am

Mick says Ireland woupdn't have gotten out of the group had Roy Keane played in 2002 because he was in such foul mood out there. I'd tend to agree.

He was even in a foul humour at Dublin Airport before they left, this was reported at the time.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 1:23am
Far be it from me to go digging up the past for a reaction but felt this needed an airing.

-------------

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 7:02am
surprised at mick, every interview he's done with OTB over the last few years he's refused to talk about it and say it's in the past and only leads to a bite back from Roy.

But look who got the interview out of him. Dunphy. Still milking saipain for his own ends. And now from the other side. Snake of a man

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:21pm
Neither

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:24pm
I would imagine McCarthy would handle it very differently if in that situation now.

Posted By: Fitz
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
Keane, of course, because he’s a grade-A f**king bellend. Horrible, toxic person. 

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 1:21pm
Bump

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 1:21pm

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:36pm
Do me a favour

Programme just finished on RTE Wan about Saipan. 

So we never got an answer?  Who was right?

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:39pm
Bertie looked rough...and Trigger still a f**kwit

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: 1874eire
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:46pm
Bit of a silly documentary. After all the talk over the years has there ever actually been a good documentary made about Saipan or WC 2002? 

It's a pity WC 2002 never gets the attention 90 or 94 gets. They did perform really well in the end.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:48pm
Thought it was good enough 
Some funny moments and good memories from it 

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 10:50pm
Any reasonable person who has ever had to answer to a manager/boss knows who was right.

-------------

Posted By: B6 6HE
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Any reasonable person who has ever had to answer to a manager/boss knows who was right.

Mick made mistakes. Should have done things behind closed doors man to man. 

But, Roy was out of all order. The team played better without him. Holland and Kinsella played super so doubt the team could have done better and could have done worse. He was a red card waiting to happen.

The real shame was we were top seeds for euro 2004. Thats where roy was badly missed.

Greece won that euros..........

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:08pm
Honestly believe if man u had won something that season Keane would have stayed. 

Arsenal doing the double and losing the CL semi to Leverkussen was eating him up. Was an explosion waiting to happen. Should have skipped Saipan. 

People talk about how McCarthy managed him and seem to forget the amount of preferential treatment he'd already been given to try and keep him onside. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:11pm
The Branch Keanians stayed loyal to the death.

The Stephen Keany Phenomenon

-------------

Posted By: B6 6HE
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:12pm

Are they related to the Branch Kennians?

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Are they related to the Branch Kennians?

Yes both originated from the same group The Branch Davidians but splintered off

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:38pm
Ray Treacy 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:52pm
It was all JACC Sports fault for not having the gear there on time.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

It was all JACC Sports fault for not having the gear there on time.

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 2:11am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Mick made mistakes. Should have done things behind closed doors man to man. 

Agreed, although I’m sure he was pretty f**king exasperated with it all by that stage. 

Keane was, and will always be, wrong. 

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 2:26am
No manager in the world then or since would accept Keane's behaviour and toxic rant. He was a national embarrassment. Fair play to McCarthy and the players for salvaging some pride from the tournament. They got on with it.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 4:51am

Skipped the 2nd leg due to injury but managed to play a full game 2 days later. Do me a favour in the words of the man himself.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 6:40am
As stated Keane said he was injured yet I saw an interview with him recently where he said Fergie didnt want him playing any games for The EIRE and would constantly try to get him to withdraw from squads.

We all know Fergie made him pull out of the away  leg and it nearly cost us.

-------------

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 7:02am
If you look at articles around that time they all say his knee wasnt right. They say he was to see a specialist that week after the 1st leg. Plus they all have quotes from Mick saying his knee wasnt ok. Easy to find.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 7:17am
But can sacrifice one of the biggest games in our history to play against Leicester 2 days later.

Must have been some recovery methods at United.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 7:18am

As stated Keane said he was injured yet I saw an interview with him recently where he said Fergie didnt want him playing any games for The EIRE and would constantly try to get him to withdraw from squads.

We all know Fergie made him pull out of the away  leg and it nearly cost us.

Himself, Neville and Richards did a WC preview for SkyBet and he spoke about it. It's the most animated I've seen him speak about Ferguson trying to stop him playing for us.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net