You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

International standard and Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Iv'e often wondered if the Danish coach watched the game in Copenhagen again, and realised that by applying a footballing approach to the game we would have no answer. The games against Georgia, Austria at home, and to a lesser extent Wales would have given him good reason to play expansive passing football.

I don't know. Looking back now if McClean had scored his chance around the 20 minute mark it could have been so different. The first goal I don't know how Christie didn't keep it out. The 2nd Stephen Ward has had a nightmare and Eriksen hits a top class goal. 2nd half was a disaster. We went all in far too soon. We left a world class player with as much space as he wanted. Chaotic second half duly punished by a world class player 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Iv'e often wondered if the Danish coach watched the game in Copenhagen again, and realised that by applying a footballing approach to the game we would have no answer. The games against Georgia, Austria at home, and to a lesser extent Wales would have given him good reason to play expansive passing football.

I don't know. Looking back now if McClean had scored his chance around the 20 minute mark it could have been so different. The first goal I don't know how Christie didn't keep it out. The 2nd Stephen Ward has had a nightmare and Eriksen hits a top class goal. 2nd half was a disaster. We went all in far too soon. We left a world class player with as much space as he wanted. Chaotic second half duly punished by a world class player 

The Danes didn’t have to work for their win. It wasn’t some kind of tactical masterclass. We easily could have been 2/3-0 up around the 20-25 min mark, instead they score a jammy goal from a corner and we implode. Simple as that, although seeing as we don’t practice defending corners, perhaps they targeted it as a weak point. 

Even at 1-1, Stephen Ward is for some reason rampaging forward on the left wing looking for us to get back in front about 15 mins from halftime. He’s disposssed and they go back up and score a screamer to end the tie.

The sensible option would of been to completely calm the game down, take the sting out of it until halftime and go all guns blazing from 60-65 minutes onwards. Our knack of scoring late goals under O’Neill should have given us the confidence to try and knick it in the closing stages.

For some bizzare reason, we went in search of a winning goal way too early and the score line that followed should have been enough to get rid of MON.

Edited by Maccatacca - 25 Jun 2018 at 5:15pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 4:54pm

Right lads. Heres another pointless hypothetical argument to consider. 

If we could jump into a time machine and transport our 1990 - 1994 era team into the present day, how would they get on? Factor in that we would be playing the same style and system. Also, modern rules would be in play (passback, offside etc).

Obviously we would need a fairly liberal referee to take charge of our games. 

I think our high pressure game would suit and the calibre of player available to us would be much better. 
El Puto Amo
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

The Danes didn’t have to work for their win. It wasn’t some kind of tactical masterclass. We easily could have been 2/3-0 up around the 20-25 min mark, instead they score a jammy goal from a corner and we implode. Simple as that, although seeing as we don’t practice defending corners, perhaps they targeted it as a weak point. 

Even at 1-1, Stephen Ward is for some reason rampaging forward on the left wing looking for us to get back in front about 15 mins from halftime. He’s disposssed and they go back up and score a screamer to end the tie.

The sensible option would of been to completely calm the game down, take the sting out of it until halftime and go all guns blazing from 60-65 minutes onwards. Our knack of scoring late goals under O’Neill should have given us the confidence to try and knick it in the closing stages.

For some bizzare reason, we went in search of a winning goal way too early and the score line that followed should have been enough to get rid of MON.

Nothing bizarre about it. The players were amped up on expectation and adrenaline. Whatever game plan O'Neill had laid out certainly was not stuck to. 

For a little while, the Irish players probably had reason to believe it was going to be their night. They'd gotten a goal, and came achingly close to snatching another. The reality of the situation should have hit them when the Danes equalised, but the players, buoyed up by belief and passion insisted on continuing forward. The problem with this is that Irish players just don't have the skill to play a pressing game while remaining defensively aware. And the problem was also lummoxes like Ward doing utterly stupid things. 

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Right lads. Heres another pointless hypothetical argument to consider. 

If we could jump into a time machine and transport our 1990 - 1994 era team into the present day, how would they get on? Factor in that we would be playing the same style and system. Also, modern rules would be in play (passback, offside etc).

Obviously we would need a fairly liberal referee to take charge of our games. 

I think our high pressure game would suit and the calibre of player available to us would be much better. 

I don't think it's so much that the calibre of player was so much better back then as other teams' players are so much better now because they invested in their futures whereas Irish talent is either in a (relatively) lowly LoI side, filler in the hyper-competitive market of the Premier League or off football and onto the GAA train altogether. 

Edited by BriMurt - 25 Jun 2018 at 6:19pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 7:21pm
Jack played an effective long ball hoof fest. MON plays a very ineffective hoof ball game. Shanr Duffy is our main striker and defender. If he gets onjured we are goosed even more.

We have no brain. Players are just not football intelligent and neither is the manager and his assistant. They can whip the lads up no problem but cant solve any tactical problems .  They are like a school kid motivated to the 9's to do well in the leaving cert without having done any study whatsoever.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 10:49pm
🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕this 👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 3:02am
1988 Qualified
1990 Qualified
1992 Runner Up (No playoffs)
1994 Qualified 
1996 Playoffs 
1998 Playoffs
2000 Playoffs
2002 Qualified
2004 Missed
2006 Missed
2008 Missed
2010 Playoffs (Robbed)
2012 Qualified
2014 Missed 
2016 Qualified
2018 Playoffs

The Past 30 Years of qualifying consisted of only 4 campaigns where we were no near making the tournament in hand the other 12 we were within a 180 mins of Qualification. If you where foreign to Ireland knew very little about our style or previous MON performance but knew that we had a tiny pool of 4.7 million to choose from knew that a large chunk of the Island up north play for a different nation (unfortunately). Also Taking into account the nations listed by the OP as playing in far easier continents to qualify from I'd say you would say Irish football is where its meant to be also to factor in Association football not even being the native sport here. I'm guilty of it too of expecting to much not to say to be satisfied with the current regime who would but looking at the bigger picture of Irish football it is what it is and I wouldn't bet on us qualifying for the world cup until its increased to 48 teams which by then I don't feel we will miss out on many. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 8:28am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

1988 Qualified
1990 Qualified
1992 Runner Up (No playoffs)
1994 Qualified 
1996 Playoffs 
1998 Playoffs
2000 Playoffs
2002 Qualified
2004 Missed
2006 Missed
2008 Missed
2010 Playoffs (Robbed)
2012 Qualified
2014 Missed 
2016 Qualified
2018 Playoffs

The Past 30 Years of qualifying consisted of only 4 campaigns where we were no near making the tournament in hand the other 12 we were within a 180 mins of Qualification. If you where foreign to Ireland knew very little about our style or previous MON performance but knew that we had a tiny pool of 4.7 million to choose from knew that a large chunk of the Island up north play for a different nation (unfortunately). Also Taking into account the nations listed by the OP as playing in far easier continents to qualify from I'd say you would say Irish football is where its meant to be also to factor in Association football not even being the native sport here. I'm guilty of it too of expecting to much not to say to be satisfied with the current regime who would but looking at the bigger picture of Irish football it is what it is and I wouldn't bet on us qualifying for the world cup until its increased to 48 teams which by then I don't feel we will miss out on many. 

Agree with your argument but Trap and others have a point in terms of lack or preparation and tactics. At the very least; we would increase our chances of qualifying if we had a coherent plan and a fall back plan b strategy.
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 9:41am

...we had a tiny pool of 4.7 million to choose from knew that a large chunk of the Island up north play for a different nation (unfortunately)... 

Can we please put this irrelevant argument to bed once and for all? If it was down to populations then India would be playing China in the World Cup Final.
Also Iceland (pop: 334,000) and Uruguay (3,400,000) should not be getting to any World Cups.

Success has nothing to do with your population size (hell, even the Faroes can pull off the odd draw). It's what you do with the players at your disposal that counts. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

...we had a tiny pool of 4.7 million to choose from knew that a large chunk of the Island up north play for a different nation (unfortunately)... 

Can we please put this irrelevant argument to bed once and for all? If it was down to populations then India would be playing China in the World Cup Final.
Also Iceland (pop: 334,000) and Uruguay (3,400,000) should not be getting to any World Cups.

Success has nothing to do with your population size (hell, even the Faroes can pull off the odd draw). It's what you do with the players at your disposal that counts. 

Agree that population is not a major factor. See NZ in Rugby.

But you need to look behind the current players at your disposal.
The youth set up and management all need to be pulling in the same direction with a defined plan.

We are very linked to GB and their failing are causing us problems too.
I feel the rest of Europe are more advanced than us when it comes to the youth set up and the quality of players they are producing. Football has moved on but Ireland and GB are behind the rest of Europe.

Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

We are very linked to GB and their failing are causing us problems too

Agreed. Put another way, your problem isn't the border in Ireland notionally losing you a few players. It's the lack of one with England (in football terms) meaning that almost all your squad play there.

Originally posted by Mandrake Mandrake wrote:

why this fascination about the nordies..

It's easier than asking why similarly-sized countries (Croatia, Denmark) do consistently better?

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 26 Jun 2018 at 10:50am
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 11:01am
Tiny pool my arse - Morris, McCarthy, Hughton ,Houghton, Galvin, McGrath, Aldridge, Townsend, Sheedy, Cascarino, McLoughlin, Sheedy, Sheridan, Babb, Kiely, Kelly, McAteer, Breen, Kilbane, Reid, Connolly, Coyne etc etc...........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 11:22am
To compare us at this World Cup, replace us with Denmark in that group and we'd finish 4th or 3rd, Peru look a far better team than their results have shown. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

To compare us at this World Cup, replace us with Denmark in that group and we'd finish 4th or 3rd, Peru look a far better team than their results have shown. 
As do Australia
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Have read several pieces about preparations made by "lesser" nations in the build up to games. In every case they describe how much attention to detail they give to their opponents focusing on how best to neutralize opponents strong points and how to attack their weaker points, always looking for an edge to combat superior technical players.
Look at our situation where our team is only picked as the anthems are being rehearsed and very little attention is paid to our opponents - and then when we eventually fail, the manager and his lackies lament a lack of talented players. Is it not obvious to everyone that MONROY are taking the piss out of the FAI (and us fans who buy S/T's) and not earning their wages.

In a nutshell CH.   We don't need Dunphy to be headlined telling us we're the worst football nation in the world (we're not of course).  But our philosophy is definitely one of the worst and if I hear "we don't have the players" anymore..........Angry

Iran nearly topped the group with Spain and Portugal.  Australia have at least attempted to play, drew one and lost unluckily to France who absolutely anhillated us in a friendly.

We're going nowhere fast under O'Neill (I leave Keane out of the combination cos he clearly does fook all technically) and fook knows what Sockless Steve is contributing.  Money for old rope.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

For a little while, the Irish players probably had reason to believe it was going to be their night. They'd gotten a goal, and came achingly close to snatching another. The reality of the situation should have hit them when the Danes equalised, but the players, buoyed up by belief and passion insisted on continuing forward.

But it's not bizarre. That's what the crowd called for when they wanted rid of Trap. Someone brought in to play "have a go hero", blood and guts football at home, rather than do the boring, sensible thing and manage the game professionally. Someone who understood "Irish football culture".

Just seen Morocco play Spain there and was very impressed with their attitude. They were already out of course, but they fielded a strong team and gave Spain a competitive game. If that was us, (as it was in Euro 2012) people would be telling the manager to rest players in the last game, and then see the reserves get hammered on the pitch. 

We've won 2 tournament games in 25 years. One against a side that lost a group game 8-0, and another against an already qualified nation, that had nothing to play for and couldn't give a fig roll whether they won or lost, and only then in the last 5 minutes. We're miles behind technically and tactically, as well as coaching ability, from about oh, 30 sides at the current World Cup. Technically, we're not even Morocco standard. It hurts a lot that we're not there, it really does, but saying we would compete admirably at it, setting out to scrape by on long balls and a few draws, is not realistic. This is the biggest tournament in football, and there's no prizes for qualifying third. So if you're not up to it, you get found out in no time. 

Unlike us however, Laurel and Hardy are having the craic at the World Cup, with their fellow pundits falling around the studio laughing at their cringeworthy tales of wisdom, including the day that MON set out to swap a pair of shorts after a game. National embarrassment the pair of them.

Still, at least they can watch Denmark's players via a TV set. You know, the kind of thing that Trap was condemned for, here at home. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 1:04pm
Qualify or not, MONROY were still going to make money out of this world cup (on top of their FAI salary for doing nothing until September).
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

[QUOTE=BriMurt]

We've won 2 tournament games in 25 years. One against a side that lost a group game 8-0, and another against an already qualified nation, that had nothing to play for and couldn't give a fig roll whether they won or lost, and only then in the last 5 minutes.

Also beat Italy in USA 94. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic