Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56381
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 2:47am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: International standard and Ireland
Posted By: Icy Bread People
Subject: International standard and Ireland
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:00pm
Just watched Australia. They did well against France, I don't think they have a squad much better than ours, possibly even worse and that's saying something, but they seemed to have a solid plan in both of their games so far, and hung onto the ball and played some good stuff.
Morocco and Iran looked quite good at times too. The only team I've seen who were really appalling that I can think of are Saudi Arabia.
How far behind have we drifted in terms of world football? We stank Euro 2012 out of it, must have been one of the worst teams to ever qualify, failed to beat a hapless Sweden in 2016, and got tonked by Belgium. You can't really read into that Italy game much given it was a non event for them.
Does anyone actually think we could have been competitive at this world cup or played any decent football at all? 

Replies:
Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:06pm
This tournament has convinced me more than ever that you can play a defensive game without sacrificing playing football. Iran last night played a defensive (and highly cynical game), but made five or six chances against a vastly superior Spanish team, who needed a serious stroke of luck to win the game. Australia have also turned a very limited team into a competent one who might actually sneak into the last 16 of the tournament.

In the last year we have made Georgia look like Brazil, capitulated against Denmark, taken one point off two ten man teams, and took a win over Wales who were missing their World Class striker and their midfield enforcer. But much of that is about the tactics employed.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Just watched Australia. They did well against France, I don't think they have a squad much better than ours, possibly even worse and that's saying something, but they seemed to have a solid plan in both of their games so far, and hung onto the ball and played some good stuff.
Morocco and Iran looked quite good at times too. The only team I've seen who were really appalling that I can think of are Saudi Arabia.
How far behind have we drifted in terms of world football? We stank Euro 2012 out of it, must have been one of the worst teams to ever qualify, failed to beat a hapless Sweden in 2016, and got tonked by Belgium. You can't really read into that Italy game much given it was a non event for them.
Does anyone actually think we could have been competitive at this world cup or played any decent football at all? 
Are you judging your analysis of Australia compared to Ireland based on the friendly last month when Ireland literally had a squad thrown together playing against France's best squad available???

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: inlikeflynn
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:14pm
I think we would have performed at this World Cup as expectations would have been low. I would expect getting through the group stages on two draws and one win, then going out.

Few managers have the experience of World Cups that MON has. A few rising players grateful for the opportunity, and an understanding of the achievement that qualification in itself was, thereby removing the pressure to perform, I would think we would have acquitted ourselves well.

Posted By: Barbrady
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:15pm
we are not that far behind tbh. we beat and drew with germany in euro qualifying and we ran france close in the euros much like the australians a few days ago.  The Denmark result was disappointing but we rarely lose a competitive game by more than one goal and are nearly always in with a shout of qualifying for tournaments going into the last game of qualifiers. I don't think the likes of iran or egypt would do as well if they had to qualify through europe. I say we would have been similar to Australia...tough to beat maybe have got a draw and finished 3rd in the group, maybe scraping through if we got a kind group.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:17pm
This is Iran last night:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgNwKcxXUAAIO0N.jpg" rel="nofollow - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgNwKcxXUAAIO0N.jpg

And they still made chances.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Are you judging your analysis of Australia compared to Ireland based on the friendly last month when Ireland literally had a squad thrown together playing against France's best squad available???

Wasn't thinking of that game at all, that was a meaningless friendly. The Georgia game, Wales away, most of our games really, we are just bloody awful. I can't recall watching a less attractive style of football. 

Posted By: mandrake
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:39pm
I think would a more professional outfit than the north African / Saudi teams...
we would have better finishers ............ more techical players than oz but we have the same determination as them and a better overall plan than all those teams.. no mad throw-ins either... yeah we would be competitive... I always think that... look at Serbia, they needed a set piece even though they went round the pitch like they owned it,, we were a point behind them

-------------
Come on Irelind

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:42pm
Iran had 32% possession last night...they were in no way world beaters. If Ireland consistently played like they did we'd be up in arms. It's unfair to judge Ireland in a competition that they are not involved in. World Cups are different to normal tournaments. Intensity levels and adrenaline go up on every team...Ireland would be no different.

The carry on of the Iran players during the game too was pathetic. Time wasting at 0-0 and throwing themselves down at every opportunity. Even Ireland don't go to those extremes.

Based on what I've seen so far at this World Cup and based what I've said above I think Ireland would have competed well at this World Cup. However, people need to realise we are by no means world beaters with a depth of talent to start playing the likes of Spain or Brazil off the park.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:47pm
LOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: BriMurt
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

This tournament has convinced me more than ever that you can play a defensive game without sacrificing playing football. Iran last night played a defensive (and highly cynical game), but made five or six chances against a vastly superior Spanish team, who needed a serious stroke of luck to win the game. Australia have also turned a very limited team into a competent one who might actually sneak into the last 16 of the tournament.

In the last year we have made Georgia look like Brazil, capitulated against Denmark, taken one point off two ten man teams, and took a win over Wales who were missing their World Class striker and their midfield enforcer. But much of that is about the tactics employed.

Firstly, to be fair to Ireland, Ireland also beat Wales while missing arguably their only world-class player in Seamus Coleman, and playing Daryl 'Maradona' Murphy up front. I have plenty of criticisms about the Irish team, but there's no need to belittle a fine away win. 

I could just as easily surmise that Georgia beat Ireland while they were lacking Seamus Coleman, ergo Serbia aren't that good. 

Now secondly, the thing that really propels a successful defensive team is not only their defensiveness. I think there's a bit of a delusion going on among Irish fans that if only we had the right manager, he could beat our motley crew of Championship stalwarts and EPL can't-quite-get-a-game-guys into masters of the 1-0 victory. The fact is, I think, is that while a manager can come in to give shape and direction to a team, unless he has one or two really special players to build his team around, then what he's building is less of a lasting edifice in the history of football and more of a sandcastle, a house of cards waiting to be knocked over, because a team without that spine has little resiliency. You watch Ireland go a goal down to a half decent team and you're all to often left wondering what answer they have. 

So until Ireland have another Duff and another Roy & Robbie Keane to really lead the team and power them along, overachieving and having the bubble burst might be as good as it gets.  

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:50pm
We have no international standard central midfielders or strikers. 

We’ve probably a better all round team than Australia, but the likes of Mooy, Jedinak and even Rogic are the type of energetic midfielders that we lack. 

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:59pm
We are worse than every single team in the World Cup. Those that argue otherwise need to take off the green tinted glasses and be realistic for a few minutes. 

And it isnt going to change in the near future either. Ive accepted that and made my peace with it. 

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Iran had 32% possession last night...they were in no way world beaters

Isn't that about normal for us though, when we play anyone above the standard of say Gibraltar? 

It makes you think though. Look at 2002. With our grit and passion (sorry for the cliches), and 2 or 3 good quality players, you could certainly get to a QF in a World Cup. Our 2002 team with Roy could make a strong impact on this World Cup. I really hope we get another generation of that ilk in my lifetime. 

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:02pm

Tiurnament football is different. Australia were pretty poor during qualification- Saudi Arabia topped their section. The Aussies needed 2 play offs to qualify. In a world cup though everyones performance level does go up. Last night Iran were very good. They showed you can be defensive but still create. I don't think our problem is that we are defensive. It is that we have no gameplan when we have the ball. Defensively we are usually very good. 

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: Floreat Ultonia
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Barbrady Barbrady wrote:

we rarely lose a competitive game by more than one goal

You've lost five by three or more since the last time NI did, in Euro 2012 qualifying.

Quote and are nearly always in with a shout of qualifying for tournaments going into the last game of qualifiers. I don't think the likes of iran or egypt would do as well if they had to qualify through europe

It's almost impossible to compare the 4th or 5th best team in Asia or Africa with the 14th or 15th in Europe- they never play each other in competition

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:15pm
Australia changed manager when they were underperforming. Their current manager took charge of his first competitive game V France.

So talking about their performances in qualifying isn't so straightforward.

All this has shown me is just how negative and poor the setup was vs a bang average side.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Australia changed manager when they were underperforming. Their current manager took charge of his first competitive game V France.

So talking about their performances in qualifying isn't so straightforward.

All this has shown me is just how negative and poor the setup was vs a bang average side.

Ange Postecoglou walked away from Australia after leading them to the World Cup via the playoffs, it was his choice.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Originally posted by Barbrady Barbrady wrote:

we rarely lose a competitive game by more than one goal

You've lost five by three or more since the last time NI did, in Euro 2012 qualifying.

Quote and are nearly always in with a shout of qualifying for tournaments going into the last game of qualifiers. I don't think the likes of iran or egypt would do as well if they had to qualify through europe

It's almost impossible to compare the 4th or 5th best team in Asia or Africa with the 14th or 15th in Europe- they never play each other in competition

What’s this got to do with Northern Ireland?

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:23pm
They didn't, he walked away because of the media. A very different thing entirely.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: E2016
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:26pm
Apologies. I was wrong.

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

I think we would have performed at this World Cup as expectations would have been low. I would expect getting through the group stages on two draws and one win, then going out.

Few managers have the experience of World Cups that MON has. A few rising players grateful for the opportunity, and an understanding of the achievement that qualification in itself was, thereby removing the pressure to perform, I would think we would have acquitted ourselves well.

Just like it didn’t take long for the boom to come back, those outlandish predictions from Euro 2012 raise their heads 6 years later 

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

[QUOTE=inlikeflynn]
Just like it didn’t take long for the boom to come back, those outlandish predictions from Euro 2012 raise their heads 6 years later 

I remember so many people thinking we'd get something out of the Croatia game and the Italy game was a gimme! How wrong we were...

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:45pm
"Few managers have the experience of a World Cup that O'Neill has"

This has left me scratching my head a bit!

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

+1

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:19pm

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

[QUOTE=inlikeflynn]

I remember so many people thinking we'd get something out of the Croatia game and the Italy game was a gimme! How wrong we were...

What else is there to do in the days before a big tournament starts but believe in your chances? That's part of the mad romance of these big tournaments. Mad romances are often illogical, given to passion, feature some heavy drinking, and crash head first into the wall of reality. But maybe the glum disappointment and cynicism that follows is worth the times where we were happy & believed anything was possible...

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

Firstly, to be fair to Ireland, Ireland also beat Wales while missing arguably their only world-class player in Seamus Coleman, and playing Daryl 'Maradona' Murphy up front. I have plenty of criticisms about the Irish team, but there's no need to belittle a fine away win. 

I could just as easily surmise that Georgia beat Ireland while they were lacking Seamus Coleman, ergo Serbia aren't that good.

I actually think the way to get to the bottom of our issues and problems in the last Qualification campaign ought to include an appreciation of the "rub of the green" factor which was so prevalent in the campaign. Starting with Hendrick's goal against Serbia, and continuing on with the red cards for Taylor and Maksimovic, the combination of the Georgian keeper and the referee for Duffy's goal in Tiblisi, even Schmeichel's mistake that had us with one foot in the final's for 30 minutes or so. Apart from Duffy's goal that was chalked off against Austria, we were generally the beneficiary of team errors and refereeing decisions. Wales was a different type of luck. Its not belittling the win to admit that we benefitted from not having to face an £80 Million player who has won four European Cups, and was central to Wales getting to the Euro 2016 Semi Finals, likewise to admit that Joe Allen was influencing the game greatly before he went off in Cardiff, or that we met Ashley Williams at a time when he was struggling to maintain form. Coleman would never have permitted what unfolded against Denmark, but at the same time, would he have been able to turn the 1-2 reversal at Half time in a manner that you would expect Bale to do?

You beat what is in front of you, and you make the breaks, but we certainly enjoyed an unprecedented rub of the green, and since Gary McKay scored against Bulgaria in 1987, we have regularly enjoyed the rub of the green, and Cardiff was no exception.

Now secondly, the thing that really propels a successful defensive team is not only their defensiveness. I think there's a bit of a delusion going on among Irish fans that if only we had the right manager, he could beat our motley crew of Championship stalwarts and EPL can't-quite-get-a-game-guys into masters of the 1-0 victory. The fact is, I think, is that while a manager can come in to give shape and direction to a team, unless he has one or two really special players to build his team around, then what he's building is less of a lasting edifice in the history of football and more of a sandcastle, a house of cards waiting to be knocked over, because a team without that spine has little resiliency. You watch Ireland go a goal down to a half decent team and you're all to often left wondering what answer they have.

The thing is, Ireland have shown resilience. Germany and Italy are two examples. They didnt go a goal down, but they needed wins in both games, and they achieved that. The bulk of those players are still around the squad. But since then, we have resorted to a 4-5-1 style approach which place Duffy-Meyler-Walters/Murphy at the forefront of the system. Against Denmark, the correct substitutions to have made would not have been to have taken out the last vestiges of a weak midfield, and put four wingers across the middled, thus emaciating the midfield. By by-passing midfield you are weakening the team as it falls entirely on a Route 1 approach to do all the work. Northern Ireland show what you can do with a proper system, even with journeymen style players. Australia, Iran, Saudi Arabia have all shown various amounts of resilience. Iceland are a great example, and the entire apparatus of Icelandic football should be watched closely.

So until Ireland have another Duff and another Roy & Robbie Keane to really lead the team and power them along, overachieving and having the bubble burst might be as good as it gets.  

Perhaps. But so many teams get by without a Worldy. Our team has enough to compete, but it needs a system which maximises our best assets. Isolating a tall, and slightly immobile striker from a five man midfield is not the way to go, while playing a long ball game, and relying on Shane Duffy to repel everything else, and having somebody like David Meyler do the rest at the base of a redundant midfield. Look, I understand that we dont have a team of world beaters. I would like to have see Brady become our target man since 2016, or James McCarthy go from strength to strength in a post-Glenn Whelan environment, but that has not happened for a number of reasons, including injury. But with Coleman, Brady, Judge and McCarthy on the way back, Declan Rice making waves at Club and Country level, Sean Maguire proving he can score in the Championship, we should be at least able to match our counterparts in the North.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 11:07pm
I am convinced we would have been a disaster with MON in charge. I think maybe with a manager who has some clue about tactics we would have been a respectable failure as opposed to a shambles.

We are falling further and further behind imo.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 9:04am
The World Cup is continuing to demonstrate that with a good manager and a good plan, ordinary players can rise above what would normally be considered their level and compete.

What is continually being demonstrated in Ireland matches is that our manager is failing to put together a cohesive 11 players that can do this.

It's not about population bases, it's not about playing like Barcelona/Spain etc., it's simply about this. 

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 9:35am
You can beat MON up for a lot of things but you can’t use Euro2012 to beat him with.

His only tournament was only 2 years ago and we did quite well in it. 

He generally does better against the stronger teams. Look at the results over the last 4 years against the better team.

Now the football would be awful but we wouldn’t be embarrassed. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

You've lost five by three or more since the last time NI did, in Euro 2012 qualifying

Just giving context to the previous poster's claim that you "rarely" lose by more than one goal.

Northern Ireland show what you can do with a proper system, even with journeymen style players...we should be at least able to match our counterparts in the North

You have matched us- records since WC 2014 are almost identical.

Your problem seems to be that while both the Euro and World Cup Finals are now less elitist than they were- a lot more mediocre teams take part, basically- the qualifiers for the latter are still pretty tough.

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:02am

You've lost five by three or more since the last time NI did, in Euro 2012 qualifying

Just giving context to the previous poster's claim that you "rarely" lose by more than one goal.

Quote Northern Ireland show what you can do with a proper system, even with journeymen style players
And we have qualified for 2 tournaments in that time and the north have got to 1 just putting some context on it.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:06am
Fruice- indeed. You were a lot better than us  6 or 7 years ago. Now we're pretty much similar in standard, as I said.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:29am

Fruice- indeed. You were a lot better than us  6 or 7 years ago. Now we're pretty much similar in standard, as I said.
We're both bad now!!

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:52am
@Fruice: Wales, Czechia, Austria, Norway, Greece and Scotland might disagree...

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

+1
Eh he went to Brazil with the BBC 4 years ago!

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

The World Cup is continuing to demonstrate that with a good manager and a good plan, ordinary players can rise above what would normally be considered their level and compete.

What is continually being demonstrated in Ireland matches is that our manager is failing to put together a cohesive 11 players that can do this.

It's not about population bases, it's not about playing like Barcelona/Spain etc., it's simply about this. 

100%

Players going out not really knowing what to do, therefore under performing and not getting the performances or results.

Even the games we did win, Austria and Wales, we rode out luck big time.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:13am
Its hard to imagine ourselves in this tournament and what we'd be like, but I've not seen any teams playing the prehistoric football that we did in some games of our qualifying campaign. Ball played out to the full backs to hoof up the pitch, not even anywhere near our supposed target man, and unable to keep the ball for more than 4 passes at a time. Most teams so far have looked comfortable in possession and look a lot more energetic than us.

On the other hand though, we performed well enough at the Euros in 2 of our 4 games, and looked ok, so I wouldn't say we'd be getting badly beaten in every game. We regressed since the Euros though.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:36am
Think this world cup has highlighted to me the value in having a superstar, one player really can drag a team to the WC these days. Obviously you have teams like Portugal (Ronaldo) and Argentina (Messi) looking for knockout places, but there's a raft of teams ranked about 12-25 that are ahead of Ireland mainly because of one/two stars:
Poland - Lewondowski
Denmark - Eriksen
Iceland - Sigurdson
South Korea - Son
Egypt - Salah

In teh absence of a star, you need to be well organised, we are neither 

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I am convinced we would have been a disaster with MON in charge. I think maybe with a manager who has some clue about tactics we would have been a respectable failure as opposed to a shambles.

We are falling further and further behind imo.

100%, we'd have brought nothing except the great fans to the tournament and the usual sh*te about Irish guts and commitment.

The football audience can thank their lucky stars we weren't at the tournament and it'll get worse before it gets better while O'Neill remains in charge.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:34pm
some amount of deluded comment here. We wouldn’t even compete with the saudis because they’d just keep the ball. Glad we’re not there the teams that are at least play with an amount of skill, our lot look as though they’ve just been introduced to the football. We’d be embarrassingly poor.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Ball played out to the full backs to hoof up the pitch, not even anywhere near our supposed target man. 
And if the target man does actually win the header we've no-one within 40 yards to pick up the second ball.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:01pm
I’m not even sure if the current team displays the same guts, determination and heart that you’d normally associate with Irish teams. 

Sure James McClean tackles lads in over the top fashion and runs about like a headless chicken, but I don’t think the likes of Brady, Hendrick and Arter are even trying their best as footballers and were certainly devoid of our typical passion in the play-offs. 

That’s nothing against the players, I think it’s easy to show determination and heart when there is a solid game plan that the players believe in. At the moment there is no belief. 

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:35pm
Agree with all the above. Ireland are indeed sh*t!!!!! With years of sh*t ahead of us. 

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay<div>And if the target man does actually win the header we've no-one within 40 yards to pick up the second ball.</div><div> </div>[/QUOTE Gary McKay
And if the target man does actually win the header we've no-one within 40 yards to pick up the second ball.

[/QUOTE wrote:

That's the nub of why the system doesn't work. Our midfield is too far back, with our defensive midfield on top of our CBS. The mo

That's the nub of why the system doesn't work. Our midfield is too far back, with our defensive midfield on top of our CBS. The most balanced team we have had was against Sweden in the Europeans championships. We played a version of it against a full strength Wales team in Dublin and they hardly had a sniff. We had an awful weekend employing the restricitive tactics against Georgia and the more expansive against Serbia, and we then went with the more restrictive version which was badly found out.

Posted By: ProudAndLoud
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:00pm
Lads can we not be so pessimistic. Yes we are not the greatest at the moment but I have NO doubt we would have held our own in this WC. We would be on the edge of last 16 or thereabouts.

If someone tells me that Asian/Americas/some African are better then us then that BOLLOONY !

WE WILL RISE AGAIN AS WE HAVE BEFORE :)

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:03pm
LOLWhat the f**k is bolloony?

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:06pm

It's an emotion.

Q: "Hi Tom, how are you?" A: "Good, quite bolloony".

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:19pm

It's an emotion.

Q: "Hi Tom, how are you?" A: "Good, quite bolloony".

I like that, let's make it a thing.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:23pm
The big question is will we rise again???

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:26pm
Na, we will be left feeling deflated.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:30pm
So we won't burst with excitement?

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:52pm

That's the nub of why the system doesn't work. Our midfield is too far back, with our defensive midfield on top of our CBS. The most balanced team we have had was against Sweden in the Europeans championships. We played a version of it against a full strength Wales team in Dublin and they hardly had a sniff. We had an awful weekend employing the restricitive tactics against Georgia and the more expansive against Serbia, and we then went with the more restrictive version which was badly found out.
When Big Jack played HoofBall and we scored our two most famous goals in Stuttgart and NY/NJ it was the runners from midfield who picked up the loose ball and scored.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:10pm
Even Trapp's style of hoofball had some method. Sure, the central midfield was bypassed, but the wingers still played an important role and in Duff, McGeady and Hunt had some technically proficient players. Now, the key midfielder is the defensive midfielder, who has generally been limited, and the ball is played over the heads of everybody else.

Posted By: RKeane
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 4:15pm
There is no question about it, Every team in this World Cup including Saudi Arabia are streets ahead of us in keeping the ball and passing it which is truly disgraceful. The FAI & management are responsible.

-------------
YESSSS! IT'S THERE

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 4:38pm
Iceland are dull and are arguably a similar quality if not worse than us (with one solid exception)

there's no reason why we couldn't achieve what they have and implement similar infrastructure to what they have over the past few years to achieve it

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 6:19pm
Alright alright every team would outplay and outpass Ireland off the pitch at the world cup. We'd embarrass ourselves. O'Neill out!! etc etc

Can we move on now from this hypothetically disastrous Ireland world cup appearance?. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 9:15pm
"Well, our lads have something that the likes of Belgium will never have, and that's heart."

"Teams don't like playing Ireland because of the tough physical game that Ireland bring."

"Hey, if Greece can win the Euros, so can Ireland." 

"Bllp blrrb blab blirb blap blrrb blrrb blrrb."

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:24pm

Jack Charlton's Record as Irish Manager

Played
Won
Drew
Lost
Goals For
Goals Against
Win Ratio
50%

That’s when we were at the races , can’t see another Irish manager getting near that in the future 

Posted By: RKeane
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

Played
Won
Drew
Lost
Goals For
Goals Against
Win Ratio
50%

That’s when we were at the races , can’t see another Irish manager getting near that 

Yeah England's B side were fairly successful 

-------------
YESSSS! IT'S THERE

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:34pm

Played
Won
Drew
Lost
Goals For
Goals Against
Win Ratio
50%

That’s when we were at the races , can’t see another Irish manager getting near that 

We had some team in the late 80’s-early 90’ mostly playing for the top teams in England.
We will never have a squad that good again. 

Similar to Scotland - They got to 4 WCs in the 80’s and 90’s

NI got to 82 and 86

We are falling further behind the rest of Europe. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

Played
Won
Drew
Lost
Goals For
Goals Against
Win Ratio
50%

Jog on spanner. 

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

Played
Won
Drew
Lost
Goals For
Goals Against
Win Ratio
50%

Harsh , 
You’d never know the way they  played and gave it all for Ireland.  Thats when we hassled other teams and scared the sh*t out of them . I remember sitting In Lansdowne watching us beat Spain 1-0 on long grass that Charlton told the groundskeeper not to cut and the Spanish didn’t know what hit them . Now we would let them walk over us and clap at them and say ah well 

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:11pm
I remember the old Lansdowne pitch being in an awful state sometimes - nothing like a pothole or two to stifle smooth passing. In fact, back in the 80s and 90s many pitches looked like this, replete with six-yard boxes that looked like Passchendale. Something must have changed in the minimum allowed standard. 

Posted By: Irish2011
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:50am
A midfield of rice,Hendrick and McCarthy would surely keep the ball better. 

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

Where would the attacking chances come from though? 

The only way I’d see that working would be if Brady was played on the left, with O’Dowda on the right wing. 

Perhaps Callum Robinson could offer something in such a formation. 

Posted By: Irish2011
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 1:44pm

Where would the attacking chances come from though? 

The only way I’d see that working would be if Brady was played on the left, with O’Dowda on the right wing. 

Perhaps Callum Robinson could offer something in such a formation. 
agreed,a front 3 of o dowba,long and Brady combined with that midfield would look promising 

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:45pm

Hendrick was useless in this campaign, I nearly forgot he was playing in most of the matches. He's just not a good player. McCarthy too, does anyone really think he's going to be a star for us or just a constant disappointment? They're not going to save us. 
Watching Sweden here, I don't know any of their players, but they look excellent. We really are that bad. I would expect if we don't get the ridiculous luck we got in recent campaign, we wont be qualifying for Euro 2020. 

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 8:10pm
I agree Hendrick has been sh*te as have Brady and McCarthy and to a lesser degree Coleman who is npt showing his club form. I put it down to MON and the players not knowing their roles.  So many players not vringing their club form.onto Ireland. MON is the common denominator.

-------------

Posted By: mandrake
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 11:31am

Perhaps. But so many teams get by without a Worldy. Our team has enough to compete, but it needs a system which maximises our best assets. Isolating a tall, and slightly immobile striker from a five man midfield is not the way to go, while playing a long ball game, and relying on Shane Duffy to repel everything else, and having somebody like David Meyler do the rest at the base of a redundant midfield. Look, I understand that we dont have a team of world beaters. I would like to have see Brady become our target man since 2016, or James McCarthy go from strength to strength in a post-Glenn Whelan environment, but that has not happened for a number of reasons, including injury. But with Coleman, Brady, Judge and McCarthy on the way back, Declan Rice making waves at Club and Country level, Sean Maguire proving he can score in the Championship, we should be at least able to match our counterparts in the North.
[/QUOTE]

match them do what exactly .. get to playoff in  a world cup and get out of the group in a euros... why this fascination about the nordies..

-------------
Come on Irelind

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:13pm
Have read several pieces about preparations made by "lesser" nations in the build up to games. In every case they describe how much attention to detail they give to their opponents focusing on how best to neutralize opponents strong points and how to attack their weaker points, always looking for an edge to combat superior technical players.
Look at our situation where our team is only picked as the anthems are being rehearsed and very little attention is paid to our opponents - and then when we eventually fail, the manager and his lackies lament a lack of talented players. Is it not obvious to everyone that MONROY are taking the piss out of the FAI (and us fans who buy S/T's) and not earning their wages.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:23pm
Iv'e often wondered if the Danish coach watched the game in Copenhagen again, and realised that by applying a footballing approach to the game we would have no answer. The games against Georgia, Austria at home, and to a lesser extent Wales would have given him good reason to play expansive passing football.

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:45pm

Iv'e often wondered if the Danish coach watched the game in Copenhagen again, and realised that by applying a footballing approach to the game we would have no answer. The games against Georgia, Austria at home, and to a lesser extent Wales would have given him good reason to play expansive passing football.

I don't know. Looking back now if McClean had scored his chance around the 20 minute mark it could have been so different. The first goal I don't know how Christie didn't keep it out. The 2nd Stephen Ward has had a nightmare and Eriksen hits a top class goal. 2nd half was a disaster. We went all in far too soon. We left a world class player with as much space as he wanted. Chaotic second half duly punished by a world class player 

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I don't know. Looking back now if McClean had scored his chance around the 20 minute mark it could have been so different. The first goal I don't know how Christie didn't keep it out. The 2nd Stephen Ward has had a nightmare and Eriksen hits a top class goal. 2nd half was a disaster. We went all in far too soon. We left a world class player with as much space as he wanted. Chaotic second half duly punished by a world class player 

The Danes didn’t have to work for their win. It wasn’t some kind of tactical masterclass. We easily could have been 2/3-0 up around the 20-25 min mark, instead they score a jammy goal from a corner and we implode. Simple as that, although seeing as we don’t practice defending corners, perhaps they targeted it as a weak point. 

Even at 1-1, Stephen Ward is for some reason rampaging forward on the left wing looking for us to get back in front about 15 mins from halftime. He’s disposssed and they go back up and score a screamer to end the tie.

The sensible option would of been to completely calm the game down, take the sting out of it until halftime and go all guns blazing from 60-65 minutes onwards. Our knack of scoring late goals under O’Neill should have given us the confidence to try and knick it in the closing stages.

For some bizzare reason, we went in search of a winning goal way too early and the score line that followed should have been enough to get rid of MON.

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 4:54pm

Right lads. Heres another pointless hypothetical argument to consider. 

If we could jump into a time machine and transport our 1990 - 1994 era team into the present day, how would they get on? Factor in that we would be playing the same style and system. Also, modern rules would be in play (passback, offside etc).

Obviously we would need a fairly liberal referee to take charge of our games. 

I think our high pressure game would suit and the calibre of player available to us would be much better. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 6:08pm

The Danes didn’t have to work for their win. It wasn’t some kind of tactical masterclass. We easily could have been 2/3-0 up around the 20-25 min mark, instead they score a jammy goal from a corner and we implode. Simple as that, although seeing as we don’t practice defending corners, perhaps they targeted it as a weak point. 

Even at 1-1, Stephen Ward is for some reason rampaging forward on the left wing looking for us to get back in front about 15 mins from halftime. He’s disposssed and they go back up and score a screamer to end the tie.

The sensible option would of been to completely calm the game down, take the sting out of it until halftime and go all guns blazing from 60-65 minutes onwards. Our knack of scoring late goals under O’Neill should have given us the confidence to try and knick it in the closing stages.

For some bizzare reason, we went in search of a winning goal way too early and the score line that followed should have been enough to get rid of MON.

Nothing bizarre about it. The players were amped up on expectation and adrenaline. Whatever game plan O'Neill had laid out certainly was not stuck to. 

For a little while, the Irish players probably had reason to believe it was going to be their night. They'd gotten a goal, and came achingly close to snatching another. The reality of the situation should have hit them when the Danes equalised, but the players, buoyed up by belief and passion insisted on continuing forward. The problem with this is that Irish players just don't have the skill to play a pressing game while remaining defensively aware. And the problem was also lummoxes like Ward doing utterly stupid things. 

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Right lads. Heres another pointless hypothetical argument to consider. 

If we could jump into a time machine and transport our 1990 - 1994 era team into the present day, how would they get on? Factor in that we would be playing the same style and system. Also, modern rules would be in play (passback, offside etc).

Obviously we would need a fairly liberal referee to take charge of our games. 

I think our high pressure game would suit and the calibre of player available to us would be much better. 

I don't think it's so much that the calibre of player was so much better back then as other teams' players are so much better now because they invested in their futures whereas Irish talent is either in a (relatively) lowly LoI side, filler in the hyper-competitive market of the Premier League or off football and onto the GAA train altogether. 

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 7:21pm
Jack played an effective long ball hoof fest. MON plays a very ineffective hoof ball game. Shanr Duffy is our main striker and defender. If he gets onjured we are goosed even more.

We have no brain. Players are just not football intelligent and neither is the manager and his assistant. They can whip the lads up no problem but cant solve any tactical problems .  They are like a school kid motivated to the 9's to do well in the leaving cert without having done any study whatsoever.

-------------

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 10:49pm
🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕this 👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 3:02am
1988 Qualified
1990 Qualified
1992 Runner Up (No playoffs)
1994 Qualified 
1996 Playoffs 
1998 Playoffs
2000 Playoffs
2002 Qualified
2004 Missed
2006 Missed
2008 Missed
2010 Playoffs (Robbed)
2012 Qualified
2014 Missed 
2016 Qualified
2018 Playoffs

The Past 30 Years of qualifying consisted of only 4 campaigns where we were no near making the tournament in hand the other 12 we were within a 180 mins of Qualification. If you where foreign to Ireland knew very little about our style or previous MON performance but knew that we had a tiny pool of 4.7 million to choose from knew that a large chunk of the Island up north play for a different nation (unfortunately). Also Taking into account the nations listed by the OP as playing in far easier continents to qualify from I'd say you would say Irish football is where its meant to be also to factor in Association football not even being the native sport here. I'm guilty of it too of expecting to much not to say to be satisfied with the current regime who would but looking at the bigger picture of Irish football it is what it is and I wouldn't bet on us qualifying for the world cup until its increased to 48 teams which by then I don't feel we will miss out on many. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 8:28am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

1988 Qualified
1990 Qualified
1992 Runner Up (No playoffs)
1994 Qualified 
1996 Playoffs 
1998 Playoffs
2000 Playoffs
2002 Qualified
2004 Missed
2006 Missed
2008 Missed
2010 Playoffs (Robbed)
2012 Qualified
2014 Missed 
2016 Qualified
2018 Playoffs

The Past 30 Years of qualifying consisted of only 4 campaigns where we were no near making the tournament in hand the other 12 we were within a 180 mins of Qualification. If you where foreign to Ireland knew very little about our style or previous MON performance but knew that we had a tiny pool of 4.7 million to choose from knew that a large chunk of the Island up north play for a different nation (unfortunately). Also Taking into account the nations listed by the OP as playing in far easier continents to qualify from I'd say you would say Irish football is where its meant to be also to factor in Association football not even being the native sport here. I'm guilty of it too of expecting to much not to say to be satisfied with the current regime who would but looking at the bigger picture of Irish football it is what it is and I wouldn't bet on us qualifying for the world cup until its increased to 48 teams which by then I don't feel we will miss out on many. 

Agree with your argument but Trap and others have a point in terms of lack or preparation and tactics. At the very least; we would increase our chances of qualifying if we had a coherent plan and a fall back plan b strategy.

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 9:41am

...we had a tiny pool of 4.7 million to choose from knew that a large chunk of the Island up north play for a different nation (unfortunately)... 

Can we please put this irrelevant argument to bed once and for all? If it was down to populations then India would be playing China in the World Cup Final.
Also Iceland (pop: 334,000) and Uruguay (3,400,000) should not be getting to any World Cups.

Success has nothing to do with your population size (hell, even the Faroes can pull off the odd draw). It's what you do with the players at your disposal that counts. 

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

...we had a tiny pool of 4.7 million to choose from knew that a large chunk of the Island up north play for a different nation (unfortunately)... 

Can we please put this irrelevant argument to bed once and for all? If it was down to populations then India would be playing China in the World Cup Final.
Also Iceland (pop: 334,000) and Uruguay (3,400,000) should not be getting to any World Cups.

Success has nothing to do with your population size (hell, even the Faroes can pull off the odd draw). It's what you do with the players at your disposal that counts. 

Agree that population is not a major factor. See NZ in Rugby.

But you need to look behind the current players at your disposal.
The youth set up and management all need to be pulling in the same direction with a defined plan.

We are very linked to GB and their failing are causing us problems too.
I feel the rest of Europe are more advanced than us when it comes to the youth set up and the quality of players they are producing. Football has moved on but Ireland and GB are behind the rest of Europe.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

We are very linked to GB and their failing are causing us problems too

Agreed. Put another way, your problem isn't the border in Ireland notionally losing you a few players. It's the lack of one with England (in football terms) meaning that almost all your squad play there.

Originally posted by Mandrake Mandrake wrote:

why this fascination about the nordies..

It's easier than asking why similarly-sized countries (Croatia, Denmark) do consistently better?

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 11:01am
Tiny pool my arse - Morris, McCarthy, Hughton ,Houghton, Galvin, McGrath, Aldridge, Townsend, Sheedy, Cascarino, McLoughlin, Sheedy, Sheridan, Babb, Kiely, Kelly, McAteer, Breen, Kilbane, Reid, Connolly, Coyne etc etc...........

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 11:22am
To compare us at this World Cup, replace us with Denmark in that group and we'd finish 4th or 3rd, Peru look a far better team than their results have shown. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

To compare us at this World Cup, replace us with Denmark in that group and we'd finish 4th or 3rd, Peru look a far better team than their results have shown. 
As do Australia

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Have read several pieces about preparations made by "lesser" nations in the build up to games. In every case they describe how much attention to detail they give to their opponents focusing on how best to neutralize opponents strong points and how to attack their weaker points, always looking for an edge to combat superior technical players.
Look at our situation where our team is only picked as the anthems are being rehearsed and very little attention is paid to our opponents - and then when we eventually fail, the manager and his lackies lament a lack of talented players. Is it not obvious to everyone that MONROY are taking the piss out of the FAI (and us fans who buy S/T's) and not earning their wages.

In a nutshell CH.   We don't need Dunphy to be headlined telling us we're the worst football nation in the world (we're not of course).  But our philosophy is definitely one of the worst and if I hear "we don't have the players" anymore..........Angry

Iran nearly topped the group with Spain and Portugal.  Australia have at least attempted to play, drew one and lost unluckily to France who absolutely anhillated us in a friendly.

We're going nowhere fast under O'Neill (I leave Keane out of the combination cos he clearly does fook all technically) and fook knows what Sockless Steve is contributing.  Money for old rope.

-------------

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:58pm

For a little while, the Irish players probably had reason to believe it was going to be their night. They'd gotten a goal, and came achingly close to snatching another. The reality of the situation should have hit them when the Danes equalised, but the players, buoyed up by belief and passion insisted on continuing forward.

But it's not bizarre. That's what the crowd called for when they wanted rid of Trap. Someone brought in to play "have a go hero", blood and guts football at home, rather than do the boring, sensible thing and manage the game professionally. Someone who understood "Irish football culture".

Just seen Morocco play Spain there and was very impressed with their attitude. They were already out of course, but they fielded a strong team and gave Spain a competitive game. If that was us, (as it was in Euro 2012) people would be telling the manager to rest players in the last game, and then see the reserves get hammered on the pitch. 

We've won 2 tournament games in 25 years. One against a side that lost a group game 8-0, and another against an already qualified nation, that had nothing to play for and couldn't give a fig roll whether they won or lost, and only then in the last 5 minutes. We're miles behind technically and tactically, as well as coaching ability, from about oh, 30 sides at the current World Cup. Technically, we're not even Morocco standard. It hurts a lot that we're not there, it really does, but saying we would compete admirably at it, setting out to scrape by on long balls and a few draws, is not realistic. This is the biggest tournament in football, and there's no prizes for qualifying third. So if you're not up to it, you get found out in no time. 

Unlike us however, Laurel and Hardy are having the craic at the World Cup, with their fellow pundits falling around the studio laughing at their cringeworthy tales of wisdom, including the day that MON set out to swap a pair of shorts after a game. National embarrassment the pair of them.

Still, at least they can watch Denmark's players via a TV set. You know, the kind of thing that Trap was condemned for, here at home. 

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 1:04pm
Qualify or not, MONROY were still going to make money out of this world cup (on top of their FAI salary for doing nothing until September).

-------------

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

[QUOTE=BriMurt]

We've won 2 tournament games in 25 years. One against a side that lost a group game 8-0, and another against an already qualified nation, that had nothing to play for and couldn't give a fig roll whether they won or lost, and only then in the last 5 minutes.

Also beat Italy in USA 94. 

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

[QUOTE=BriMurt]

We've won 2 tournament games in 25 years. One against a side that lost a group game 8-0, and another against an already qualified nation, that had nothing to play for and couldn't give a fig roll whether they won or lost, and only then in the last 5 minutes.

Also beat Italy in USA 94. 

Its amazing the way a person can make some things sound awful. Another way of saying the same thing is we won at every tournament we have competed in except for 2 and in one of those 2 we got to the world cup quarter finals. So in that regard we have only ever had one BAD tournament

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 3:27pm

That first half against Denmark was a very strange one. We never looked comfortable, even when we were 1-0 in front and Denmark looked far more composed. As you say, we seemed to mentally collapse when Denmark got their equaliser but we were already living dangerously before that.

If I didn't know better, I'd say we played the game in a panic and without much confidence.

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 4:28pm
On the point of population being a contributing factor; of course it is. It is one of many factors and it is a big one. Now, I'm not suggesting that you can't make the most of the resources on offer and punch above your weight which we don't do. 

Here are the world rankings per capita anyway:

https://www.rankingper.com/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rankingper.com/

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

On the point of population being a contributing factor; of course it is. It is one of many factors and it is a big one. Now, I'm not suggesting that you can't make the most of the resources on offer and punch above your weight which we don't do. 

Here are the world rankings per capita anyway:

https://www.rankingper.com/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rankingper.com/
Population is a huge factor but the biggest is gaa and to a lesser extent rugby.
How many Irish internationals do you see from Kerry and Mayo two strong football counties?
Very little why because all the top guys play gaa from u6 maybe play a bit of soccer up to u14 but the top guys are taken into gaa developmental squads and that's it no other sport gets a look in and the top guys are lost for good.
It's first choice in most rural county's.
The majority of our top players come from urban areas where the pathway to do things in soccer is much more accessible
And you can play with clubs exclusively geared towards soccer.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:29am
NI Euro 2016 squad by home district

Belfast 2
Newtownabbey & South Antrim 2
Mid & East Antrim 5
Lisburn & Castelreagh
North Down 1
South Down
Armagh, Banbridge & Craigavon 1
Causeway & Glens
Derry & Strabane 1
Mid Ulster 3
Fermanagh & Omagh 3

England 5

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:36am

NI Euro 2016 squad by home district

Belfast 2
Newtownabbey & South Antrim 2
Mid & East Antrim 5
Lisburn & Castelreagh
North Down 1
South Down
Armagh, Banbridge & Craigavon 1
Causeway & Glens
Derry & Strabane 1
Mid Ulster 3
Fermanagh & Omagh 3

England 5

What has that got to do with the title of this thread? 

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:42am
Just about every footballing nation has an urban/rural divide. It is a game based in industrial regions,which is why places like Lancashire and the north-east of France have produced more players for their nations than anywhere else.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:11am

What has that got to do with the title of this thread? 

It's a reply to the immediately previous post on the thread, Einstein

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:16am

Just about every footballing nation has an urban/rural divide. It is a game based in industrial regions,which is why places like Lancashire and the north-east of France have produced more players for their nations than anywhere else.

Have looked at something like this before.

https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/JES-10-2016-0194" rel="nofollow - https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/JES-10-2016-0194

The results indicate that both individual and regional variables can explain the number of caps a player receives over the course of their career. The authors find that an individual’s career length positively influences the number of international caps accrued. Players born in wealthier and more populous regions accumulate a greater number of international appearances. Distance from the capital has no effect, however, the number of youth academies in the player’s region of birth has a significant positive effect.

Posted By: Terzino
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:41pm
If we'd qualified I think we would have done ok, better than Australia for instance.

Our footballers suffer from a psychological condition called nick-a-goal-itis. 

This condition hampers us from qualifying for tournaments. It's terrible in play-offs. It undermines our home form and causes us to draw too many games. 

However, once we get to the big stage things nearly always seem to work out for us, as draws in tournament football keep you alive to fight another day.

But the problem is actually getting there. In World Cup qualifying we have only lost 3 away games this century, to Iran, Austria and Germany.

Our real problem is when we have to take the game to others at home. We have a mindset of not giving anything away. We are risk averse.

During this World Cup Brian Kerr has complained about Senegal and Belgium for different reasons. 

When Senegal were 2-1 up against Poland they had a number of set pieces late in the game. He complained that they weren't using them to waste time. They actually sent players up to score a third goal. They didn't score but Poland were forced to defend these set-pieces properly, and so the time was wasted anyway.

In the Belgium (versus Tunisia) game he complained about their defence for the whole match. The Belgians had decided to go out and score more goals than the opposition. It worked out perfectly and they were able to take off some of their players and give them a rest well before the game was over.

Even with a world class attack force Kerr couldn't get beyond the nick-a-goal-itis. Presumably if he was the manager of Belgium he would have wanted them to get a goal and then shut up shop for the rest of the game.

And goal scoring is really a problem for us. 

If we look at Iceland:
In 8 games at tournaments they have scored 10 goals.

And Ireland:
In 23 games at tournaments we have scored 16 goals.

This tournament has shown that all styles are valid if they are applied correctly. Russia, Iceland, Sweden have been very direct. If O'Neill insists that we play direct then he should be taking notes. 

Although it is slightly embarrassing that Saudi Arabia, whose players are from their domestic league, could pass us off the field. 

But the big change we need to see is in attack. Away from home we are fine. But we have to win games at home like we used to do in the past, and that means scoring goals.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net