FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

International standard and Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

England's set pieces   v   The Eire set pieces

You can see the work England put in on the training ground.  The Love Train for example.

The Eire just wing it.
In my opinion england are a slightly better version of Ireland. Zero in midfield, blessed with a lucky draw.
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 6:11pm
England's set pieces   v   The Eire set pieces

You can see the work England put in on the training ground.  The Love Train for example.

The Eire just wing it.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I have said this but people have then said ''its a different generation of players so they cant have the same mental block or the form book in previous meetings doesn't apply.''

For some reason it does and the players subconsciously repeat the past. We almost never go 2-0 up in a game against decent teams.  I would say Holland in 2000 was the last time  (I dont really count Israel or Bosnia as decent teams).

We are just a team full of fear and inferioirity who the manager gives a pre game script that says ''a draw would be a good result'' and the players believe it. 

We stumbled blindly into a very commanding position in the group in late 2016 (due to luck mostly) but absolutely sh*t the togs when victory in a very winnable group was in plain sight.

EVERYBODY when the draw was made said this is a fantastic opportunity to win the group.  Then you have MON tell us in an interview with TOD that he would have been delighted to have taken a playoff before a ball was kicked in the group. This is supposed to be the winning mentality that he would bring post Trapattoni!  f**k off.

In the past we were a difficult away game for the bigger teams in Europe, but usually lost when we played away from Dalymount/ Lansdowne. And we had a problem conceding goals. That had to be fixed. 

When Jack came in we kept our good home form and started to get draws in away games. Our defending improved dramatically, and we became more of a long-ball team.

When we qualified for tournaments we were happy with not giving anything away, and the 1-1 scoreline is our national result in the same way St Patrick is our national saint.

This is the encoded DNA now. We know what we will get with Ireland. Don't give anything away, win your home games and get the draw away against your rivals. Don't take risks and play the percentages.

The Charlton DNA has given us a very consistent level of performance for a long time, but it doesn't leave us a lot of room to maneouvre. When it works we win 1-0 or occasionally 2-0.

However, if we concede a goal we know we won't win. If we concede two goals we give up. And if things go wrong, it's spectacular, like the 3-1 defeat by Spain in 1993, Euro 2012 or the recent 5-1 defeat by Denmark.

However, increasingly we don't have the tools to play that type of game. We don't have an airtight defence, a proper target-man or a combative midfield any more. And we've stopped winning games at home. So we either have to find players who can do that job or do something else.

And whatever we do, we still have to deal with a consistent goalscoring problem that's been with us over the years. Most of the time this is about us not creating the chances, but there is also a history of not taking the chances when they arrive or if we do score not driving home our advantage by getting a second or third goal. 

For instance, we should have beaten the USSR by 2 or 3 goals at Euro 88, just as we should have done something similar to Sweden at Euro 2016. Both games ended 1-1!

When you think about it, we never have a surprise result away from home or at a tournament against a decent team. 

Even on the rare occasions when we've had an opponent on the ropes in qualifying games, such as Holland (2-0) in Amsterdam, or Poland (3-1) in Poznan, we've conceded poor goals and drawn those games. 

The 3-1 v Turkey in Istanbul, the 4-0 in Belfast, and the 4-0 against Estonia in Talinn were our most ruthless away performances. Those results stand out, but the quality of the opposition is questionable.

The away draw in qualifying is so engrained it took us decades to get an another away win over a decent team. A 1-0 win in Glasgow in 1987 and then a 1-0 win in Vienna in 2016. But now that we have started to get wins away from home, our form at Lansdowne has deserted us.

We don't have the old attitude of being happy to take the game to our opponents, but we can still end games throwing the kitchen sink at teams to salvage draws, at least.

We've gone in the wrong direction really. Instead of trying to take our traditional home form into away games, we've brought our away form back to Lansdowne.

Overall it does seem that the elongated Charlton era is at an end. The game has changed to favour attack over defence a lot more, and VAR is sure to tip the balance even further.

With that in mind, the FAI should be thinking of going in a different direction when they come to appoint the next manager.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Sweden came on strong in the second half of that match so we didn't outplay them for the entire thing. I was actually happy enough with the draw at the end. 

Sweden are another country that has generally been better than us both historically and as consistent qualifiers for tournaments just like the Swiss. We can keep saying that we're just as good as these similar (ish) level of teams but in reality we're not as good as them. Denmark are better than us, qualify for more tournaments and even taking out the 5-1 game, we were completely dominated in the away leg. The score really should've been 2-0 in Copenhagen. I know we were missing some starters as well.

The Swedish revival in that game coincided with us taking the lead. It's a very familiar pattern at this stage. We have two modes: score and we sit back and defend, concede and we come to life, often scoring very late goals.

Denmark started qualifying for tournaments just before we did. They did so by scoring lots of goals so they don't have the hang-ups that we have.

Roy Hodgson put Switzerland back on the map in the 90s. They're still applying the strong defence with a bit of talent in midfield from those days. 

Sweden have a more impressive record but, like ourselves, their current team is not as good as days past.

However they don't need their "USA 94" team, with its excellent forward line, to put 3 past Mexico. They can still do something like that with a striker playing his football in Saudi Arabia. Our "USA 94" team was pretty good, but if you transported them to the present day they wouldn't put Mexico away like Sweden did the other day.

No matter what team we have put on the field at major championships the results have been very consistent, basically draws. 

Our qualifying record over the last few decades is poor because we have for the most part bottled them. From very good Ireland teams to mediocre the story is similar.

Euro 88 - Qualified

WC 90 - Qualified

Euro 92 - best team in the group, but blew it at Wembley and in Poznan

WC 94 - Qualified

Euro 96 - leading the group after victory over Portugal, but then collapsed

WC 98 - wins at home to Romania and Lithuania, and an away win in Macedonia would have qualified us automatically, but we blew it

Euro 2000 - superb home form, but blew it away

WC 2002 - Qualified

Euro 2004 - Saipan still working its way through the system

WC 2006 - took the lead in 3 big games, but blew it

Euro 2008 - nowhere near

WC 2010 - Henry's handball, but blew it in Paris

Euro 2012 - Qualified

WC 2014 - nowhere near

Euro 2016 - Qualified (Scotland blew it)

WC 2018 - leading the group with 4 home games to play, but blew it

We are to qualifying what England are to penalty shoot-outs. We have a mental block that we need to fix as much as finding a goalscorer or a midfield general.

I have said this but people have then said ''its a different generation of players so they cant have the same mental block or the form book in previous meetings doesn't apply.''

For some reason it does and the players subconsciously repeat the past. We almost never go 2-0 up in a game against decent teams.  I would say Holland in 2000 was the last time  (I dont really count Israel or Bosnia as decent teams).

We are just a team full of fear and inferioirity who the manager gives a pre game script that says ''a draw would be a good result'' and the players believe it. 

We stumbled blindly into a very commanding position in the group in late 2016 (due to luck mostly) but absolutely sh*t the togs when victory in a very winnable group was in plain sight.

EVERYBODY when the draw was made said this is a fantastic opportunity to win the group.  Then you have MON tell us in an interview with TOD that he would have been delighted to have taken a playoff before a ball was kicked in the group. This is supposed to be the winning mentality that he would bring post Trapattoni!  f**k off.

Edited by Trap junior - 09 Jul 2018 at 4:52pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Sweden came on strong in the second half of that match so we didn't outplay them for the entire thing. I was actually happy enough with the draw at the end. 

Sweden are another country that has generally been better than us both historically and as consistent qualifiers for tournaments just like the Swiss. We can keep saying that we're just as good as these similar (ish) level of teams but in reality we're not as good as them. Denmark are better than us, qualify for more tournaments and even taking out the 5-1 game, we were completely dominated in the away leg. The score really should've been 2-0 in Copenhagen. I know we were missing some starters as well.

The Swedish revival in that game coincided with us taking the lead. It's a very familiar pattern at this stage. We have two modes: score and we sit back and defend, concede and we come to life, often scoring very late goals.

Denmark started qualifying for tournaments just before we did. They did so by scoring lots of goals so they don't have the hang-ups that we have.

Roy Hodgson put Switzerland back on the map in the 90s. They're still applying the strong defence with a bit of talent in midfield from those days. 

Sweden have a more impressive record but, like ourselves, their current team is not as good as days past.

However they don't need their "USA 94" team, with its excellent forward line, to put 3 past Mexico. They can still do something like that with a striker playing his football in Saudi Arabia. Our "USA 94" team was pretty good, but if you transported them to the present day they wouldn't put Mexico away like Sweden did the other day.

No matter what team we have put on the field at major championships the results have been very consistent, basically draws. 

Our qualifying record over the last few decades is poor because we have for the most part bottled them. From very good Ireland teams to mediocre the story is similar.

Euro 88 - Qualified

WC 90 - Qualified

Euro 92 - best team in the group, but blew it at Wembley and in Poznan

WC 94 - Qualified

Euro 96 - leading the group after victory over Portugal, but then collapsed

WC 98 - wins at home to Romania and Lithuania, and an away win in Macedonia would have qualified us automatically, but we blew it

Euro 2000 - superb home form, but blew it away

WC 2002 - Qualified

Euro 2004 - Saipan still working its way through the system

WC 2006 - took the lead in 3 big games, but blew it

Euro 2008 - nowhere near

WC 2010 - Henry's handball, but blew it in Paris

Euro 2012 - Qualified

WC 2014 - nowhere near

Euro 2016 - Qualified (Scotland blew it)

WC 2018 - leading the group with 4 home games to play, but blew it

We are to qualifying what England are to penalty shoot-outs. We have a mental block that we need to fix as much as finding a goalscorer or a midfield general.

Edited by Terzino - 03 Jul 2018 at 6:42pm
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 12:03pm
Interesting that the 4 teams from last year's euros playoffs have made it through to the last 16 with 2 if them in the QFs 

We all thought we would beat Denmark and fancied our chances against the Swiss. Northern Ireland must all be sickened too losing out the way they did over them 

Edited by Healy52003 - 03 Jul 2018 at 12:04pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

in my view this group of players is a weak as we had for the past 30 years.
We have no centre forward and no dominant centre mid fielder.

For the most part we defend quite well but with out a decent centre forward or a dominant centre midfielder we won't score enough to be competitive at the top level.
Anyone that thinks otherwise is coding themselves.

In one
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 5:27pm
in my view this group of players is a weak as we had for the past 30 years.
We have no centre forward and no dominant centre mid fielder.

For the most part we defend quite well but with out a decent centre forward or a dominant centre midfielder we won't score enough to be competitive at the top level.
Anyone that thinks otherwise is coding themselves.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 4:33pm
I say generally as there have been sporadic periods over the last  30 odd years when we were a better  side or at least have performed better. Euro 88 (they didn't qualify), 1990 (group stage) & 2016 (group stage) but in general or mostly Sweden have proven to be better than us and certainly are now. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 4:26pm
Generally !? They have come second and third at a World Cup! They are a very, very good football nation.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Sorry Ter, Had Eoin Hands team won 4 home games for 1982, we would have qualified. Sadly, we drew one apiece with Belgium which ultimately cost us despite of the larceny in Brussels.

Sorry about that one. 3 wins and a draw it was.

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane Zinedine Kilbane wrote:

I’m trying to catch up, can I confirm we no longer want to be like NI or Iceland anymore, it’s all about Sweden now?

Sweden are part of the debate because we have played them recently.

The argument is that we don't have the players.

And yet, we outplayed Sweden at the last Euros. We all saw that game. Our players were better than theirs.

Now Sweden, minus Ibrahimovic, are in the 2nd Round of the World Cup after having seen off Holland and Italy in qualifying, and winning their group in Russia.

So maybe our players are not so rubbish after all, but other factors, such as management and tactics, as well as a footballing legacy where draws are seen as victories, are affecting our chances of qualifying for tournaments.

Edited by irishmufc - 29 Jun 2018 at 4:24pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 4:03pm
LOL

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I’m trying to catch up, can I confirm we no longer want to be like NI or Iceland anymore, it’s all about Sweden now?

LOL Brilliantly accurate.

How's that? 

Not out ! Missing leg stump.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 3:39pm

Sorry Ter, Had Eoin Hands team won 4 home games for 1982, we would have qualified. Sadly, we drew one apiece with Belgium which ultimately cost us despite of the larceny in Brussels.

Sorry about that one. 3 wins and a draw it was.

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane Zinedine Kilbane wrote:

Sweden are part of the debate because we have played them recently.

The argument is that we don't have the players.

And yet, we outplayed Sweden at the last Euros. We all saw that game. Our players were better than theirs.

Now Sweden, minus Ibrahimovic, are in the 2nd Round of the World Cup after having seen off Holland and Italy in qualifying, and winning their group in Russia.

So maybe our players are not so rubbish after all, but other factors, such as management and tactics, as well as a footballing legacy where draws are seen as victories, are affecting our chances of qualifying for tournaments.

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

How's that? 

Not out ! Missing leg stump.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 11:50am

How's that? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 10:49am

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 9:46am
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

being defensive is one things but marry it with being truly ineffective on the counter and it does not bode well.

Austria away was our last good performance. Jesus we could use one in the Nations cup to cheer us all up a little

Absolutely this!! Being defensive isn't automatically a bad tactic. Leicester did it to good effect, as did Iceland and (arguably) Northern Ireland. However these teams had a counter attack plan. Invite the opposition on...make them come forward in numbers then dispossess them and hit them on the break when they are stretched. We do this exact game plan, except apart from hitting them on the break we just boot the ball as far as we can...the further it lands from another green shirt the better...bonus points if you can boot it out for a goal kick
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 8:51am
being defensive is one things but marry it with being truly ineffective on the counter and it does not bode well.

Austria away was our last good performance. Jesus we could use one in the Nations cup to cheer us all up a little
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic