Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Champions League 18/19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 65>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Hits his arm alright, and shouldn't have been given no matter how close it was to his body.
The (current) Law is quite clear, for a handball to be penalised, it has to be "deliberate".

Which is where this guidance about natural/unnatural body shape, or closeness of contact can come in i.e. it may help you decide whether the handball has been deliberate or not.

But in this case, it is  barely conceivable that Llorente thought: "Know what, I'll just nudge it down onto my hip and score with that!". 

I mean, that just doesn't happen (ok, maybe on Playstation?). Quite honestly, from that distance out, he'd have been far more likely to push the ball into the net directly with his hand, when he couldn't get his head to it.

Therefore the ref had to give him the benefit of the (considerable) doubt and conclude that the hand contact was accidental.

As i've stated on here for years, its barely conceivable that any handball is deliberate, apart from examples where the defender punches a goal bound shout off the line when the keeper is beaten.

I genuinely think that if the ref had seen the angle from the bottom left corner of the goal that there's a good chance he'd have disallowed it.
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Papers "city lacked character"

f**k off. they were a gee hair from winning the tie ffs.
Exactly.

I mean, it was the phenomenal character shown by both sets of players which made it such an epic game.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

A word for the home crowd - it's supposed to be a football match, not a night out at a fancy restaurant

Little crowd noise and embarrassing carry on with the plastic flags - this was a Leinster rugby crowd, not a football crowd
From the BBC match report:
"Sterling lit the blue touchpaper on a thunderous atmosphere when he curled in a precision finish from the edge of the area after only four minutes..."

From Pep Guardiola's post-match press conference:
"I am so proud of the players and the fans. I have never heard noise like that since I have been in Manchester"

Even afterwards they just meekly accepted their fate
From the BBC again:

"City's fans gave their players a standing ovation after the chance of finally winning the Champions League - and claiming that haul of four trophies - eluded them on this sensational night.

And it was hard to criticise a team who, in this game, were scintillating going forward and a magnificent sight in full cry for long periods."

Manchester City are a soulless, sterile, bland, empty blancmange of a club
Nobody, inc many City fans, likes the financial doping etc of the owners, and the effect it has had on the club.

But if you look back at their history, they have a proud record of winning major trophies before the Thais or the Arabs ever arrived.

And they continued to support their club in big numbers even when their noisy neighbours in the red third of Manchester were lording it over them for years.

Indeed they hold the record for attendances in the third tier of English (world?) football, with an average of nearly 30k each game in 1998/99 - the same season United won their "incredible treble".

Yeah, so just like Leinster rugby fans it is, then! LOL

(And yes, before any Sunderland fan interjects, I know their team is finally going to break that attendance record this season)

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:51pm

A word for the home crowd - it's supposed to be a football match, not a night out at a fancy restaurant

Little crowd noise and embarrassing carry on with the plastic flags - this was a Leinster rugby crowd, not a football crowd
From the BBC match report:
"Sterling lit the blue touchpaper on a thunderous atmosphere when he curled in a precision finish from the edge of the area after only four minutes..."

From Pep Guardiola's post-match press conference:
"I am so proud of the players and the fans. I have never heard noise like that since I have been in Manchester"

Even afterwards they just meekly accepted their fate
From the BBC again:

"City's fans gave their players a standing ovation after the chance of finally winning the Champions League - and claiming that haul of four trophies - eluded them on this sensational night.

And it was hard to criticise a team who, in this game, were scintillating going forward and a magnificent sight in full cry for long periods."

Manchester City are a soulless, sterile, bland, empty blancmange of a club
Nobody, inc many City fans, likes the financial doping etc of the owners, and the effect it has had on the club.

But if you look back at their history, they have a proud record of winning major trophies before the Thais or the Arabs ever arrived.

And they continued to support their club in big numbers even when their noisy neighbours in the red third of Manchester were lording it over them for years.

Indeed they hold the record for attendances in the third tier of English (world?) football, with an average of nearly 30k each game in 1998/99 - the same season United won their "incredible treble".

Yeah, so just like Leinster rugby fans it is, then! LOL

(And yes, before any Sunderland fan interjects, I know their team is finally going to break that attendance record this season)

In one Terri.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 2:56pm
Woah, somebody on the BBC website put in a column inch filler

Conclusive proof LOL

Here's the Emirates Arena for Manchester City's Champions League opener aagainst Lyon

Passion, yeah!

City have a history with UEFA after severe punishments given to them due to Financial Fair Play
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

There was a great atmosphere at the Etihad last night

Don't get this plastic term at all. They were getting crowds of 32k in the third tier of English football.
Agree.

Spurs were getting less than that a few months ago for league games.
Misleading.

"Average Premier League attendance for Spurs at Wembley only in 18/19 is 52,584"
https://www.soccer-blogger.com/2018/10/29/tottenham-hotspur-crowds-at-wembley-2018-2019-attendances-stats-premier-league-champions-league-efl-cup-fixtures/

In fact, they only got one sub-30k league crowd during their entire stay at Wembley, and that was just under at 29,164, vs Watford on a sh*tty Wednesday evening at the end of January.

Considering they were being charged some of the highest ticket prices in Europe; they faced extra European and domestic cup games which weren't on ST's, there was a cap of 50k imposed by Brent Council for half the games and this was an away following (Wink) in someone elses stadium, Spurs crowds were actually pretty good, imo.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:19pm

Once the furore dies down over Spurs new stadium in a few years, i'm sure every seat won't be filled week in week out.
I wouldn't be so sure.

The club sold its entire allocation of 42k Season Tickets, at an average of well over £1k a pop in a matter of days. they also sold another 9k (I think) Corporate ST's at eye-watering prices. And still they have a ST waiting list numbering many thousands.

And that's before you count many more thousands of Spurs Members, who are paying £50 a season for the privilege of applying for the 8k remaining tickets which get released to Members each matchday, and sell out within minutes of going on sale.

Quite honestly, Spurs could nearly sell out the stadium to young Korean girls deeply in love with Son Heung Min! LOL

Edited by Territorial - 18 Apr 2019 at 3:21pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:32pm

Conclusive proof LOL
The BT commentators referred to it during the game as well.

Fact is, everyone agrees that the atmosphere last night was exceptional (both senses of the word).

Whereas you're the only one who has claimed otherwise.

From watching it on TV.

For part of the game.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:34pm

Conclusive proof LOL
The BT commentators referred to it during the game as well.

Fact is, everyone agrees that the atmosphere last night was exceptional (both senses of the word).

Whereas you're the only one who has claimed otherwise.

From watching it on TV.

For part of the game.

Everyone who was there commented on how great the atmosphere was, but Sid knows best. He was at home watching Liverpool
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 4:45pm
Jaysus lads give it a rest. 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 4:51pm

So soulless and bland that you were glued to them instead of your own beloved Liverpool's CL Quarter Final tie?

After our first goal yes

The tie was wrapped up

Porto v Liverpool was bland in terms of excitement because Liverpool are European royalty and know how to kill off ties at the business end of Europe's biggest competition

I think by the last few minutes even our players were watching the other tie on pitchside tellies

Car crashes are hard to look away from

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Predictions?

Spurs City - I'm going to let my heart slightly rule my head. Spurs to squeak through over 2 legs in a classic tie.

Liverpool Porto - Liverpool to have a couple of goal lead going into the away leg and see it out from there. 

Ajax Juve - Should be a very good 2 ties. I can see both teams scoring in both legs. Juve by 2 over 2 legs. 5-3 on aggregate.

United Barca - think this will be far tighter than expected. United to dig in and get a result at home. Barca to eek it out in the 2nd leg and go through.

2 out of 4
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:00pm

I genuinely think that if the ref had seen the angle from the bottom left corner of the goal that there's a good chance he'd have disallowed it.

But he did see it. A VAR has access to about 30 different camera angles to spot an incident. So they see everything. A VAR makes a decision on an informed basis. If they say it's offside or handball, then it obviously is. And if it's not offside or not handball, then you have to accept that it's not. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:26pm
The referee when he went over to the screen at the side of the pitch didn’t view it from the angle I’m talking about
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 6:39pm

Predictions?

Spurs City - I'm going to let my heart slightly rule my head. Spurs to squeak through over 2 legs in a classic tie.

Liverpool Porto - Liverpool to have a couple of goal lead going into the away leg and see it out from there. 

Ajax Juve - Should be a very good 2 ties. I can see both teams scoring in both legs. Juve by 2 over 2 legs. 5-3 on aggregate.

United Barca - think this will be far tighter than expected. United to dig in and get a result at home. Barca to eek it out in the 2nd leg and go through.

2 out of 4

3 out of 4 in terms of predictions Big smile
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

But he did see it. A VAR has access to about 30 different camera angles to spot an incident. So they see everything. A VAR makes a decision on an informed basis. If they say it's offside or handball, then it obviously is. And if it's not offside or not handball, then you have to accept that it's not. 

It would not surprise me if the VAR has seen every single, including the one clearly showing the ball hits Llorentes arm first then onto his hip. He then notifies the referee to have a look. The ref possibly did not see every single angle then, as it takes forever to seemingly do. So there's a good chance imo he did not see the handball clearly. The ref himself points at his hip to show what he's seen.

The ball definitely hits Llorentes arm. If the ref had seen it, he may well have decided to disallow the goal. He would have been wrong to do that though. It was a perfectly legitimate goal as the rules stand now. That all changes in a few months, thank God.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 7:31pm

It would not surprise me if the VAR has seen every single, including the one clearly showing the ball hits Llorentes arm first then onto his hip. He then notifies the referee to have a look. The ref possibly did not see every single angle then, as it takes forever to seemingly do. So there's a good chance imo he did not see the handball clearly. The ref himself points at his hip to show what he's seen.

The ball definitely hits Llorentes arm. If the ref had seen it, he may well have decided to disallow the goal. He would have been wrong to do that though. It was a perfectly legitimate goal as the rules stand now. That all changes in a few months, thank God.

The VAR has access to a wide variety of angles, and selects the best ones for the on pitch ref to see on the monitor. Everything was spotted and checked. 

That particular ref seems to have more liberal interpretations than others of what handball is. He rejected a Nigeria penalty appeal in the World Cup after using VAR, when the ball struck a Argentina players arm. 5 minutes later, the same Argentina player scored to put them through and send Nigeria home. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:22pm
As I've said the goal was perfectly legitimate. There should be no reason to chalk it off.

I was only referring to the fact that from what we could see on tv, the ref didn't seem to see the one angle that showed it did strike Llorentes arm, which it most definitely did so there should be no argument there. If the referee had seen, it is strange that he kept pointing at his hip as if the ball never hit his arm.

Either way, the ball hit his arm then hip before going into the net. That is a legitimate goal as the rules stand now. Ridiculously so imo, and they are being changed, but that's the way it is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 65>
  Share Topic