Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2018 Group D- ARG/ICE/CRO/NIG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup 2018 Group D- ARG/ICE/CRO/NIG
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 2:43pm
With a month to go and squads starting to be announced I thought it would be an idea to start threads for the World Cup. I've put together a guide to all the teams and these threads can then be used to discuss any further developments and of course the games:

Group D

ARGENTINA
ICELAND
CROATIA
NIGERIA

Schedule
16th June 14:00        Argentina v Iceland
16th June 20:00        Croatia  v  Nigeria

21st June 19:00        Argentina v Croatia
22nd June 16:00        Nigeria v Iceland

26th June 19:00        Nigeria v Argentina
26th June 19:00        Iceland v Croatia

Team Overviews

Argentina

FIFA ranking: 5th

Star Player: Just like Portugal there is one man for who Argentina will look to Lionel Messi, practically dragged them to the last final can he drag them one step further?

WC History: Two time winners in 78 at home and Maradona inspired in 86. Beaten finalists at the last World cup

Odds: 9-1

Synopsis: Made tough work of qualifying but after Messi unretired he dragged them there. On paper they have a forward line which can destroy any defence but it rarely clicks and defensive wise they are very suspect but never rule out a team with Messi in it. I say a quarter final exit to Spain though will be their fate.

Squad: 

Goalkeepers: Nahuel Guzmán( Tigres UANL) , Wilfredo Caballero (Chelsea), Franco Armani (River Plate).

Defenders: Gabriel Mercado (Sevilla), Cristian Ansaldi (Torino), Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City), Federico Fazio (Roma), Marcos Rojo (Manchester United), Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax), Marcos Acuna (Sporting Lisbon).

Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Hebei China Fortune), Eduardo Salvio (Benfica), Lucas Biglia (AC Milan), Giovani Lo Celso (Paris Saint-Germain), Ever Banega (Sevilla),Maximiliano Meza (Independiente), Angel di Maria (Paris Saint-Germain), Cristian Pavon (Boca Juniors), Enzo Perez (River Plate)

Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Paulo Dybala (Juventus), Gonzalo Higuain (Juventus), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City).

Iceland

FIFA ranking: 22nd

Star Player: Gylfi Sigurdsson is their most creative player but you’d have to say the star of this team is the team spirit as a whole, a real workmanlike attitude has been key to their recent success.

WC History: Debutants

Odds: 200-1

Synopsis: That workmanlike attitude seen them top their group two points ahead of a dangerous Croatian team. Similar to their expectations to the Euros getting to the tournament was a massive success anything more than that is a bonus. A tough group but you never know they could well make the last 16.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Hannes Halldorsson (Randers), Runar Runarsson (Nordsjaelland), Frederik Schram (Roskilde)

Defenders: Kari Arnason (Aberdeen), Holmar Eyjolfsson (Levski Sofia), Rurik Gislason (Sandhausen), Sverrir Ingason (Rostov), Hordur Magnusson (Bristol City), Birkir Saevarsson (Valur), Ragnar Sigurdsson (Rostov), Ari Skulason (Lokeren)

Midfielders: Birkir Bjarnason (Aston Villa), Samuel Fridjonsson (Valerenga), Johann Gudmundsson (Burnley), Aron Gunnarsson (Cardiff City), Emil Hallfredsson (Udinese), Gylfi Sigurdsson (Everton), Olafur Skulason (Karabukspor), Arnor Traustason (Malmo)

Forwards: Jon Bodvarsson (Reading), Alfred Finnbogason (Augsburg), Albert Gudmundsson (PSV), Bjorn Sigurdarson (Rostov)

Croatia

FIFA ranking: 18th

Star Player: Luka Modric- the Real Madrid man is their main focal point most of their play goes through him.

WC History: 3rd place in their debut tournament is their best showing they haven’t gone past the group stage since though.

Odds: 33-1

Synopsis: initially looked like they would qualify with ease but then losses to Iceland, Croatia and a draw at home to Finland seen the coach replaced for a must win game away to Ukraine. Two Kramaric goals seen them through to the playoffs were they dismantled Greece 4-1 in Zagreb to qualify. On paper they have one of the best technical teams in Europe, if it clicks for them then I expect them to be the one everyone tips could go far.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Danijel Subasic (Monaco), Lovre Kalinic (Gent), Dominik Livakovic (Dinamo).

Defenders: Vedran Corluka (Lokomotiv Moscow), Domagoj Vida (Besiktas), Ivan Strinic (Sampdoria), Dejan Lovren (Liverpool), Sime Vrsaljko (Atletico Madrid), Josip Pivaric (Dynamo Kiev), Tin Jedvaj (Bayer Leverkusen), Duje Caleta-Car (Red Bull Salzburg).

Midfielders: Luka Modric (Real Madrid), Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona), Mateo Kovacic (Real Madrid), Milan Badelj (Fiorentina), Marcelo Brozovic (Inter), Filip Bradaric (Rijeka).

Forwards: Mario Mandzukic (Juventus), Ivan Perisic (Inter), Nikola Kalinic (Milan), Andrej Kramaric (Hoffenheim), Marko Pjaca (Schalke), Ante Rebic (Eintracht).

Nigeria

FIFA ranking: 47th

Star Player: Victor Moses- the Chelsea man would be man Nigeria look to create things, former Chelsea player John Obi Mikel captains the side and is an important cog in their machine.

WC History: round of 16 is the furthest they have gotten

Odds: 200-1

Synopsis: Finished top of their group technically undefeated (their last game was awarded to Algeria 3-0 having finished 1-1 due to them playing an ineligible player. In terms of what they can do at the World Cup they do have a pacy team which can cause teams problems as seen in their 4-2 victory over Argentina in November.

Squad: 

Goalkeepers: Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Enyimba), Daniel Akpeyi (Chippa United), Francis Uzoho (Deportivo La Coruna)

Defenders: William Troost-Ekong, Shehu Abdullahi (Bursaspor), Leon Balogun (Brighton) Kenneth Omeruo (Chelsea), Bryan Idowu (Amkar Perm), Chidozie Awaziem (FC Porto), Elderson Echiejile (Cercle Brugge), Tyronne Ebuehi (Benfica)

Midfielders: Mikel Obi (Tianjin Teda), Ogenyi Onazi (Trabzonspor), John Ogu (Hapoel Be'er Sheva), Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City),Oghenekaro Etebo (CD Feirense), Joel Obi (Torino)

Forwards: Odion Ighalo (Changchun Yatai), Ahmed Musa, Kelechi Iheanacho(Leicester City), Alex Iwobi (Arsenal), Simeon Nwankwo (FC Crotone), Victor Moses (Chelsea)

Edited by lassassinblanc - 09 Jun 2018 at 3:14pm
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:45pm
Argentina and Nigerian preliminary squads announced 
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:31pm
Argentina are 11/1 to win it. Seens a big price when you look at their squad. Especially their forwards  
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:43pm
They were appalling in qualifying, that would be why
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:47pm
When I wrote it they were 9/1 with Paddy Power.

As Hunty says they were appalling in qualifying and only really got to the WC due to 1) Messi's brilliance 2) Others throwing it away i.e. Chile 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:56am
For all that, they definitely are capable of winning it. They have Messi who is possibly in the best form I've ever seen. They have plenty of other quality attackers. They have a top class coach for the first time in a long time. They have done obvious weaknesses, but if Sampaoli can plug those, they'll have a shot. Or possibly crash out in the group LOL it really is a nasty group for them.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:13am
Spot the student with that thread....love the work though
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

For all that, they definitely are capable of winning it. They have Messi who is possibly in the best form I've ever seen. They have plenty of other quality attackers. They have a top class coach for the first time in a long time. They have done obvious weaknesses, but if Sampaoli can plug those, they'll have a shot. Or possibly crash out in the group LOL it really is a nasty group for them.

Come off it Hans, Messi has been nowhere near his best this season. 

Still probably the best in the world but the level he reached in 2011/12 was far more impressive than this season.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Come off it Hans, Messi has been nowhere near his best this season. 

Still probably the best in the world but the level he reached in 2011/12 was far more impressive than this season.
Think there is an argument to be made that this season is definitely up there as his very best. Playing much more as a number 10 now. Supporting cast at Barca far far weaker to what he had around him when he was hitting the 50 goal mark 6/7 years ago. He has been sensational this season tbf.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:17pm
Icardi not in the Argentinean squad 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Icardi not in the Argentinean squad 

No real surprise lad is hated in Argentina after the whole Wanda thing
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:52pm
Shall update squad list tomorrow too drunk right now
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:53pm
what would we do for a goalscorer like Icardi in our squad right now....Icardi and a younger robbie. Im dreaming......

Edited by Dugs - 21 May 2018 at 9:54pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

what would we do for a goalscorer like Icardi in our squad right now....Icardi and a younger robbie. Im dreaming......

If we had a striker who scored 29 goals in league 2  it would be a travesty if he wasn't called up
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:04am
Argentina Squad updated following players left out

Nahuel Guzmán, Ramiro Funes Mori,Germán Pezzella, Ricardo Centurión, Guido Pizarro, Leandro Paredes,Enzo Pérez, Pablo Pérez, Rodrigo Battaglia,Lautaro Martínez, Diego Perotti, Mauro Icardi

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:17am
Croatia Squad updated

Karlo Letica, Borna Barisic, Zoran Nizic, Borna Sosa, Marko Rog, Marco Pasalic, Duje Cop and Ivan Santini

Left out

One more to be dropped before final squad announced
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 1:29pm
argentina have listed nine midfielders in their squad. surely, there is zero need for this amount?? I was hoping that Lautaro Martinez would be selected!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:58pm
I still can't believe Lanzini is in the squad, very overrated.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic