Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56298
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:43pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: World Cup 2018 Group D- ARG/ICE/CRO/NIG
Posted By: lassassinblanc
Subject: World Cup 2018 Group D- ARG/ICE/CRO/NIG
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 2:43pm
With a month to go and squads starting to be announced I thought it would be an idea to start threads for the World Cup. I've put together a guide to all the teams and these threads can then be used to discuss any further developments and of course the games:

Group D

ARGENTINA
ICELAND
CROATIA
NIGERIA

Schedule
16th June 14:00        Argentina v Iceland
16th June 20:00        Croatia  v  Nigeria

21st June 19:00        Argentina v Croatia
22nd June 16:00        Nigeria v Iceland

26th June 19:00        Nigeria v Argentina
26th June 19:00        Iceland v Croatia

Team Overviews

Argentina

FIFA ranking: 5th

Star Player: Just like Portugal there is one man for who Argentina will look to Lionel Messi, practically dragged them to the last final can he drag them one step further?

WC History: Two time winners in 78 at home and Maradona inspired in 86. Beaten finalists at the last World cup

Odds: 9-1

Synopsis: Made tough work of qualifying but after Messi unretired he dragged them there. On paper they have a forward line which can destroy any defence but it rarely clicks and defensive wise they are very suspect but never rule out a team with Messi in it. I say a quarter final exit to Spain though will be their fate.

Squad: 

Goalkeepers: Nahuel Guzmán( Tigres UANL) , Wilfredo Caballero (Chelsea), Franco Armani (River Plate).

Defenders: Gabriel Mercado (Sevilla), Cristian Ansaldi (Torino), Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City), Federico Fazio (Roma), Marcos Rojo (Manchester United), Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax), Marcos Acuna (Sporting Lisbon).

Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Hebei China Fortune), Eduardo Salvio (Benfica), Lucas Biglia (AC Milan), Giovani Lo Celso (Paris Saint-Germain), Ever Banega (Sevilla),Maximiliano Meza (Independiente), Angel di Maria (Paris Saint-Germain), Cristian Pavon (Boca Juniors), Enzo Perez (River Plate)

Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Paulo Dybala (Juventus), Gonzalo Higuain (Juventus), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City).

Iceland

FIFA ranking: 22nd

Star Player: Gylfi Sigurdsson is their most creative player but you’d have to say the star of this team is the team spirit as a whole, a real workmanlike attitude has been key to their recent success.

WC History: Debutants

Odds: 200-1

Synopsis: That workmanlike attitude seen them top their group two points ahead of a dangerous Croatian team. Similar to their expectations to the Euros getting to the tournament was a massive success anything more than that is a bonus. A tough group but you never know they could well make the last 16.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Hannes Halldorsson (Randers), Runar Runarsson (Nordsjaelland), Frederik Schram (Roskilde)

Defenders: Kari Arnason (Aberdeen), Holmar Eyjolfsson (Levski Sofia), Rurik Gislason (Sandhausen), Sverrir Ingason (Rostov), Hordur Magnusson (Bristol City), Birkir Saevarsson (Valur), Ragnar Sigurdsson (Rostov), Ari Skulason (Lokeren)

Midfielders: Birkir Bjarnason (Aston Villa), Samuel Fridjonsson (Valerenga), Johann Gudmundsson (Burnley), Aron Gunnarsson (Cardiff City), Emil Hallfredsson (Udinese), Gylfi Sigurdsson (Everton), Olafur Skulason (Karabukspor), Arnor Traustason (Malmo)

Forwards: Jon Bodvarsson (Reading), Alfred Finnbogason (Augsburg), Albert Gudmundsson (PSV), Bjorn Sigurdarson (Rostov)

Croatia

FIFA ranking: 18th

Star Player: Luka Modric- the Real Madrid man is their main focal point most of their play goes through him.

WC History: 3rd place in their debut tournament is their best showing they haven’t gone past the group stage since though.

Odds: 33-1

Synopsis: initially looked like they would qualify with ease but then losses to Iceland, Croatia and a draw at home to Finland seen the coach replaced for a must win game away to Ukraine. Two Kramaric goals seen them through to the playoffs were they dismantled Greece 4-1 in Zagreb to qualify. On paper they have one of the best technical teams in Europe, if it clicks for them then I expect them to be the one everyone tips could go far.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Danijel Subasic (Monaco), Lovre Kalinic (Gent), Dominik Livakovic (Dinamo).

Defenders: Vedran Corluka (Lokomotiv Moscow), Domagoj Vida (Besiktas), Ivan Strinic (Sampdoria), Dejan Lovren (Liverpool), Sime Vrsaljko (Atletico Madrid), Josip Pivaric (Dynamo Kiev), Tin Jedvaj (Bayer Leverkusen), Duje Caleta-Car (Red Bull Salzburg).

Midfielders: Luka Modric (Real Madrid), Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona), Mateo Kovacic (Real Madrid), Milan Badelj (Fiorentina), Marcelo Brozovic (Inter), Filip Bradaric (Rijeka).

Forwards: Mario Mandzukic (Juventus), Ivan Perisic (Inter), Nikola Kalinic (Milan), Andrej Kramaric (Hoffenheim), Marko Pjaca (Schalke), Ante Rebic (Eintracht).

Nigeria

FIFA ranking: 47th

Star Player: Victor Moses- the Chelsea man would be man Nigeria look to create things, former Chelsea player John Obi Mikel captains the side and is an important cog in their machine.

WC History: round of 16 is the furthest they have gotten

Odds: 200-1

Synopsis: Finished top of their group technically undefeated (their last game was awarded to Algeria 3-0 having finished 1-1 due to them playing an ineligible player. In terms of what they can do at the World Cup they do have a pacy team which can cause teams problems as seen in their 4-2 victory over Argentina in November.

Squad: 

Goalkeepers: Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Enyimba), Daniel Akpeyi (Chippa United), Francis Uzoho (Deportivo La Coruna)

Defenders: William Troost-Ekong, Shehu Abdullahi (Bursaspor), Leon Balogun (Brighton) Kenneth Omeruo (Chelsea), Bryan Idowu (Amkar Perm), Chidozie Awaziem (FC Porto), Elderson Echiejile (Cercle Brugge), Tyronne Ebuehi (Benfica)

Midfielders: Mikel Obi (Tianjin Teda), Ogenyi Onazi (Trabzonspor), John Ogu (Hapoel Be'er Sheva), Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City),Oghenekaro Etebo (CD Feirense), Joel Obi (Torino)

Forwards: Odion Ighalo (Changchun Yatai), Ahmed Musa, Kelechi Iheanacho(Leicester City), Alex Iwobi (Arsenal), Simeon Nwankwo (FC Crotone), Victor Moses (Chelsea)

Replies:
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:45pm
Argentina and Nigerian preliminary squads announced 

Posted By: killer kilbane
Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:31pm
Argentina are 11/1 to win it. Seens a big price when you look at their squad. Especially their forwards  

-------------
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:43pm
They were appalling in qualifying, that would be why

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:47pm
When I wrote it they were 9/1 with Paddy Power.

As Hunty says they were appalling in qualifying and only really got to the WC due to 1) Messi's brilliance 2) Others throwing it away i.e. Chile 

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:56am
For all that, they definitely are capable of winning it. They have Messi who is possibly in the best form I've ever seen. They have plenty of other quality attackers. They have a top class coach for the first time in a long time. They have done obvious weaknesses, but if Sampaoli can plug those, they'll have a shot. Or possibly crash out in the group LOL it really is a nasty group for them.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:13am
Spot the student with that thread....love the work though

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

For all that, they definitely are capable of winning it. They have Messi who is possibly in the best form I've ever seen. They have plenty of other quality attackers. They have a top class coach for the first time in a long time. They have done obvious weaknesses, but if Sampaoli can plug those, they'll have a shot. Or possibly crash out in the group LOL it really is a nasty group for them.

Come off it Hans, Messi has been nowhere near his best this season. 

Still probably the best in the world but the level he reached in 2011/12 was far more impressive than this season.

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Come off it Hans, Messi has been nowhere near his best this season. 

Still probably the best in the world but the level he reached in 2011/12 was far more impressive than this season.
Think there is an argument to be made that this season is definitely up there as his very best. Playing much more as a number 10 now. Supporting cast at Barca far far weaker to what he had around him when he was hitting the 50 goal mark 6/7 years ago. He has been sensational this season tbf.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:17pm
Icardi not in the Argentinean squad 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

No real surprise lad is hated in Argentina after the whole Wanda thing

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:52pm
Shall update squad list tomorrow too drunk right now

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:53pm
what would we do for a goalscorer like Icardi in our squad right now....Icardi and a younger robbie. Im dreaming......

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

what would we do for a goalscorer like Icardi in our squad right now....Icardi and a younger robbie. Im dreaming......

If we had a striker who scored 29 goals in league 2  it would be a travesty if he wasn't called up

Date Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:04am
Argentina Squad updated following players left out

Nahuel Guzmán, Ramiro Funes Mori,Germán Pezzella, Ricardo Centurión, Guido Pizarro, Leandro Paredes,Enzo Pérez, Pablo Pérez, Rodrigo Battaglia,Lautaro Martínez, Diego Perotti, Mauro Icardi

Date Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:17am
Croatia Squad updated

Karlo Letica, Borna Barisic, Zoran Nizic, Borna Sosa, Marko Rog, Marco Pasalic, Duje Cop and Ivan Santini

Left out

One more to be dropped before final squad announced

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 22 May 2018 at 1:29pm
argentina have listed nine midfielders in their squad. surely, there is zero need for this amount?? I was hoping that Lautaro Martinez would be selected!

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:58pm
I still can't believe Lanzini is in the squad, very overrated.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:38pm
Sergio Romero ruled out with injury

Date Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:37am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Would imagine Guzman would be his replacement I'd also imagine Caballero will now be number one...that's Argentina f**ked so

Date Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:48am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Would imagine Guzman would be his replacement I'd also imagine Caballero will now be number one...that's Argentina f**ked so

Guzman confirmed as Romero's replacement, squad updated

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:21am

Splinters.

Argentina are impressively sh*t outside their attacking players.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:30pm
Say what you want about the Maradona / Messi debate, but Maradona had some nasty b*stards playing behind him - Messi doesn't have that.

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:59pm

No real surprise lad is hated in Argentina after the whole Wanda thing

What's the whole fish called Wanda thing? 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:36pm
All final World Cup Squads updated

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 2:26pm
Lanzini has been ruled out with injury.

No replacement has been named yet

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 3:09pm

Icardi still won't get in 

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Icardi still won't get in 

Diego Perotti is early talk as he'd be more like for like

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 3:13pm
Enzo Perez called up to replace Lanzini

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:11pm
Iceland should be one up

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:19pm
1-0 Aguero

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:21pm
Cracking finish.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:23pm
Yeeeesssss  1-1 Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:25pm
Caballero is the reason Argentina won't win this world cup

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:29pm

He is one reason, there are a few others on show today

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:31pm

Their defence is awful. I wouldn't be so worried that they are relying on a number of the same players from 2010 as I would the fact that their defence is shocking.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:47pm
True their whole defense are terrible

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:49pm
Great physicality to the game Clap

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:50pm
Iceland seem to have their tactics spot on so far. Lucky call on the handball though. 

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:05pm
Would love Ireland to play like Iceland do. Lovely defensive structure, good blend of short and long play, good physicallity and can keep the ball for a few passes even against good quality opposition

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Would love Ireland to play like Iceland do. Lovely defensive structure, good blend of short and long play, good physicallity and can keep the ball for a few passes even against good quality opposition

In fairness, they have one or two game changers in the team which makes them a more difficult prospect to play against. Unless Declan Rice fulfils his potential and Robbie Brady returns from injury with a new lease on life, we will lack for that extra spark of creativity which we did have with Wes.

But the system Iceland play is sound, and is dangerous.

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:18pm
Iceland are so like we were under Jack. Heart

We on the other hand are like we are under MON during his difficult busted flush phase. Ouch

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:23pm
Shocked

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:23pm
Messi LOL

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:34pm
Was Di Maria on the pitch at all? For the most part totally ineffective today.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:38pm
Var should have been used there

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:39pm

I know. What is the f**king point having it and not using it?

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Certainly I've seen them given.

-------------

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Was Di Maria on the pitch at all? For the most part totally ineffective today.

He's been AWOL for Argentina for a long time never mind today, he's not the only one either which is Argentina's main problems.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Certainly I've seen them given.

As soft as some people may believe that one to have been, it would have been a totally legitimate call to award the penalty.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

He's been AWOL for Argentina for a long time never mind today, he's not the only one either which is Argentina's main problems.

Messi is totally carrying the team , and even has has not been up to scratch.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:53pm
Last chance saloon for Lionel....

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Last chance saloon for Lionel....

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Delighted for Iceland.

Heroic performance from Iceland.

Argies in trouble already, this group could go anywhere but I do wish for Croatia and Iceland to advance.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:56pm
No the wonder Argentina struggled to qualify for the WC playing like that.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:59pm
Outside of Messi and Aguero Argentina aren't great

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 4:03pm
I'd have brought on Higuain a lot earlier.

I'd nearly have taken off Messi, as there is too much reliance on him, might make them work harder for the win. That's very unlikey to happen though.

What's the story with Dybala?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 4:03pm

Halldorsson the Iceland keeper had a cracking game. The had of cod.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 4:12pm
The organisation is breathtaking. Argentina had the better of the game but a draw is not an unfair result. I could see them getting the better of Nigeria, and anything against Croatia will get them through. This may have legs.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I'd have brought on Higuain a lot earlier.

I'd nearly have taken off Messi, as there is too much reliance on him, might make them work harder for the win. That's very unlikey to happen though.

What's the story with Dybala?

Why would you take off 1 of the 2 best players in the world?

The problem isn't work-rate or laziness. The duo of Mascherano and Banega is probably top 3 in International football when it comes to midfield pairings, the problem is there's absolutely no chemistry beyond the midfield, you can play Dybala, Higuain, Aguero and Di Maria in any order you like they're just a bunch of big names, not a team.

He's tried calling up a few rookies from the domestic league such as Benedetto but that nearly did more harm than good

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 6:40pm
My point is, there is too much dependency of getting the ball to Messi.

Time after time, players took the wrong option because they are were trying to give the ball to Messi, when there was better options available to them.

A few times, players could have taken a shot on the keeper but choose to pick out Messi, and conceded possession.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 6:54pm
The onus should be on the other players to step up, Messi had two or three men on him at all times, there should be space elsewhere.
Thought the Argies were very shaky at the back particularly as Caballero kept parrying balls back into the danger zone. Don’t see them going far in the tournament 

VAR is working well so far I think 

From what I’ve seen of this Denmark game the better team has lost 

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:15pm
Argentina should have had a peno.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:55pm
Nigeria anthem jacket Heart

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:56pm

Nigeria anthem jacket Heart
Its certainly different!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:59pm
Nigeria not wearing their home jersey Thumbs Down

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:10pm
Mikel playing very far forward, strange given his lack of attacking threat throughout his whole career!

Croatia look by far the better side here already, great to see how technically good their players are on the ball. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:10pm

Nigeria not wearing their home jersey Thumbs Down

Well they are the designated away team

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Mikel playing very far forward, strange given his lack of attacking threat throughout his whole career!

Croatia look by far the better side here already, great to see how technically good their players are on the ball. 

Has always played there for Nigeria. But I agree not the biggest attacking threat

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:16pm
Yeah, I just find it baffling tbh he offers no goal threat and isn’t exactly a player known for his guile. 

Dare I say it Iwobi would be far better served in that role. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:28pm
It is a very bizarre lineup from Nigeria.

Is Ighalo better than Kelechi or Musa? Not the former but probably the latter. Could easily of played a flat 4 across midfield to suit Mikel more and it wouldn't hinder Moses or Iwobi

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:31pm
Think they've (Nigeria)been the better team so far though

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:33pm
And then Croatia score LOL

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:26pm
Moses never misses a chance to dive

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:29pm
Respect for the award of that penalty. Too often it's overlooked.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:29pm
Good referring there

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:30pm
Lovely penalty

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:54pm
Comfortable win for Croatia.

Argentina next for them of they get the win there Argentina will be in deep

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:57pm
I don't think much can be gleaned from that Croatia performances. The first goal and penalty were handed to them. Given the individual quality in the squad, Nigeria's performance tonight was the poorest by any team this far.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:18pm

Their defence is awful. I wouldn't be so worried that they are relying on a number of the same players from 2010 as I would the fact that their defence is shocking.

Marcos Rojo.

Nicolas Otamendi.

Only one other defender with more than ten caps.

Three keepers with a combined ten caps between them.

34 year old Mascherano, playing in China, as the fulcrum of the team.

A past it di Maria, bereft of the pace he once had, on the wing.

No Icardi (53 Serie A goals over the last two seasons).

A manager who won't start Dybala (and even still, he doesn't have an international goal).

There are many, many reason they won't win this tournament.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

There are many things wrong with Argentina but this is not it.. If you were allowed a World Cup team of the XI best players who failed to qualify, Mascherano would be in it along with Messi, he was immense in qualifying.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 11:14am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

There are many things wrong with Argentina but this is not it.. If you were allowed a World Cup team of the XI best players who failed to qualify, Mascherano would be in it along with Messi, he was immense in qualifying.
But he did qualify...

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 1:44pm

Respect for the award of that penalty. Too often it's overlooked.
Yeah great to see a ref giving a penalty for it. Reminded me of Quinn vs Spain in 2002. Argentina with all there attacking power lacked conviction yesterday. They wont go too far in the knockout rounds and I actually fancy Croatia to beat them. There was more fight in Iceland and was delighted for them.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 1:54pm
Nikola Kalinic to be sent home after refusing to come on in the 85th

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:25pm
99,6% of people in Iceland watching tv during their opener were watching the match. 

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

99,6% of people in Iceland watching tv during their opener were watching the match. 

It’s something like 10% of the Population is going to Russia.

Great story for them.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 7:10pm
That is an incredible stat. Hell, that means most of the tourists there were probably watching the match too!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:51pm
Massive game for Argentina here

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:53pm
Brian Kerr!!!! ClapClapClapClapClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:57pm
Messi looking like the world is on his shoulders there

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

They have all left now as aido has just arrived there. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:10pm

Massive game for Argentina here

They have to go for it and Croatia can play with some freedom so should be a good game.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:11pm
Argentina's tactics are mental.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:16pm
Argies look lost here at the moment 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:18pm
Lawrenson is painful.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Lawrenson is painful.

Can you not get rte player international PM? 

Worked for me in Spain last week. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:24pm

Argentina's tactics are mental.

Looks like they're set up with the Neville Wears Prada Football Manager cheat formation

https://www.fmscout.com/a-nwp-cheat-tactic-fm18.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.fmscout.com/a-nwp-cheat-tactic-fm18.html

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Lawrenson is painful.

Not been able to get it for ages.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:31pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Lawrenson is painful.

Not been able to get it for ages.

I have the rte player app on my android phone and when I went into it for the France-Oz game it must've automatically reconfigured it to the international version as it stated it on the main menu before I selected the match. You might get it on your phone if you install the app but you'd prob prefer a tv obviously. 

Anyway back on topic. 

This is definitely the most interesting group especially if this ends in a draw and Iceland win tomorrow. It'll be some final day with Argentina potentially going out. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net