You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Agreed.

I wonder if the church wasn't involved if there'd be much opposition to this.

There are agents of the Church, who are often more fire and brimstone than the church themselves, and often have the least compassion and concern. You could take the Church out of the debate, and there would still be a lay community well capable of taking up the torch. There would also be the conservative movement who would default oppose repeal on an ideological basis. I also think that there will be the silent no voter, whose only act in this whole saga will be to vote no. Politicians will also vote based on their constituency, and that has given rise to TDs voting against even holding a referendum, let alone actually voting to repeal the amendment.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 3:32pm

That Ronan Mullen fella freaks me out. He's about as progressive as the more fundamentalist members of the Taliban. 
El Puto Amo
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

I see the people who voted no above haven't been brave enough to post as to their reasoning why, pity really.

I can't vote on this but am 100% voting repeal the 8th.

That's the referendum debate summed up.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:07pm
Yes plus Repeal the 27th.  

(Option not available in the Poll above).
www.ucdsupporters.ie
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

That will never happen.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

That Ronan Mullen fella freaks me out. He's about as progressive as the more fundamentalist members of the Taliban. 

One of the reasons I'm voting yes.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:04pm
Will this be available on the medical card?
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

That will never happen.

That's what the Absolutists want you to think.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:18pm

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

That will never happen.

That's what the Absolutists want you to think.

Good.
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 3:28am
I dont think I will vote to repeal it. I would vote to reform it if that becomes an option.

Where there is a threat to someone's life or health abortion should be available.

It's very hard to.outline my reasons briefly without going into significant depth and I realise it is a very divisive and sensitive issue. However I will try.

The first reason is, human equality. We all believe in it.so it's about belief, do we believe that an unborn baby is a life, or human. My belief is, it is, therefore should have the same rights as another human.

Secondly,I believe a man should be part of the decision. To not include him in the decision leaves off responsibility for their actions and or look after that baby.

Social attitudes need to change as well, in terms of stigma and community support of single parents. We of course have improved in the last few decades but situations where a decision is made for instance based on bad timing in someone's life or for fear of what they will be thought of, I would suggest as been wrong.

There should be a responsibility on both the man and woman for their actions and what they engage in.

I'll reiterate though where there is a threat to life or health implications, it should be available. Hence I would vote to reform it.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 8:44am
So you're going to vote no because you think people will use abortion as some sort of contraceptive?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 8:49am
15 votes for no on a football forum.

This will run close. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:06am

So you're going to vote no because you think people will use abortion as some sort of contraceptive?

I've read what Ooohah said a few times now and I'm not sure how you feel that's what he's saying? Maybe I'm missing something
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:15am
Walls, I think he is referring to the line about "responsibility", perhaps two lines from the bottom of the post. But I too am
Struggling to see this interpretation. Especially as the poster has talked about "reform".

Granted, I rarely accept the reform argument in any referendum, as it's never on the table. Plus, what kind of reform would be sensible and make a noticeable difference apart from repeal.
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:16am
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

I dont think I will vote to repeal it. I would vote to reform it if that becomes an option.

Where there is a threat to someone's life or health abortion should be available.

It's very hard to.outline my reasons briefly without going into significant depth and I realise it is a very divisive and sensitive issue. However I will try.

The first reason is, human equality. We all believe in it.so it's about belief, do we believe that an unborn baby is a life, or human. My belief is, it is, therefore should have the same rights as another human.

Secondly,I believe a man should be part of the decision. To not include him in the decision leaves off responsibility for their actions and or look after that baby.

Social attitudes need to change as well, in terms of stigma and community support of single parents. We of course have improved in the last few decades but situations where a decision is made for instance based on bad timing in someone's life or for fear of what they will be thought of, I would suggest as been wrong.

There should be a responsibility on both the man and woman for their actions and what they engage in.

I'll reiterate though where there is a threat to life or health implications, it should be available. Hence I would vote to reform it.

well said. 

for me it's the question of is an unborn baby is a life - even before 12 weeks. in my view it absolutely is and by terminating it you are taking a life away that's basic instinct is to survive. For me this is why i would probably vote no - if i could vote. 

strongly agree that reform is needed.

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:21am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I've read what Ooohah said a few times now and I'm not sure how you feel that's what he's saying? Maybe I'm missing something

"There should be a responsibility on both the man and woman for their actions and what they engage in."

This is where I got it from. I wasn't having a go just asking if that's what he felt as I'm sure a lot of people will feel the same way.
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:31am

I probably wont spend the day arguing my viewpoint as I Know Ill steer off some points slightly and end up arguing on tangents from my original viewpoint.

I am highly aware aswell its a sensitive topic and dont want to be offending people.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:56am
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

I probably wont spend the day arguing my viewpoint as I Know Ill steer off some points slightly and end up arguing on tangents from my original viewpoint.

I am highly aware aswell its a sensitive topic and dont want to be offending people.

Don't leg it from the thread OohAah. I personally don't agree with your viewpoint but I'm interested in hearing more from people like yourself who are putting forward your argument in a constructive manner. It's important to get both sides to air their views. 
El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 42>
  Share Topic