You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Mickey Harte's reasoning:

He said: “I’ve always felt people in Ireland are very good at supporting each other, looking out for the most vulnerable in society and nobody’s more vulnerable than the unborn. So I’m encouraging you to vote no to save the 8th amendment. The alternative kills babies and wounds the mother. You know what the right choice is.”

We have always had a great support system here alright. Those Magdalene laundries were super. Good shout Mickey

Your comment just proves the point why people looking at voting no won't or are unlikely to engage in debate.

Repealing the 8th will bring in unrestricted abortion starting off with the proposed 12 weeks and then no doubt becoming more liberal.

Am I religious No

Do I believe in Abortion - no I am strongly anti

Have I a right to tell others how to live - No

Will I vote yes - probably will be out of the country but I voted in favour of the 8th at the time as I believed it was right, now I would vote to repeal, but would respect other peoples views that are different to mine.

This is just utter nonsense being peddled by the NO side. 

Your opinion

I would not class myself as been on the No side

I do believe that this will happen

Will it make me vote No?   No

Why is it utter nonsense - how can you say what will or won't happen in the future
I know nothing :-)
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:04pm
It’s nonsense because it’s not what you’re being asked to vote on.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Your opinion

I would not class myself as been on the No side

I do believe that this will happen

Will it make me vote No?   No

Why is it utter nonsense - how can you say what will or won't happen in the future

Sorry to jump in on this. I agree that the "thin edge of the wedge" ought to be considered when discussing constitutional and legal matters. It is not tin foil hat territory, or should it be ignored as an inconvenient truth.

However, Ireland will undoubtedly act within the confines of general European practice, which will give rise to 12 weeks as the cut off point. I would also suspect this will be a tighter vote, which will be used, politically, as indicative of a willingness to liberalise and vest power of autonomy in medical professionals and their patients, but not to provide for an unusually liberalised system, and political will in a generally conservative country will act as a valve on future change, at least in the medium term.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:06pm
As I've said above, the twelve week limit is not going in the Constitution. The "thin end of the wedge" argument is not defeated by the wording of the proposed amendment, no matter how it might otherwise be defeated.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

As I've said above, the twelve week limit is not going in the Constitution. The "thin end of the wedge" argument is not defeated by the wording of the proposed amendment, no matter how it might otherwise be defeated.

I never claimed it would form part of the amendment. And it will be up to the Oireachtas as to how the actually system will be devised, and implemented. The thin edge issue for me has become more relevant given the flurry of constitutional activity that the previous government engaged in, which has long term negative potentials, which needed to be illustrated, and taken on board.

Edited by Het-field - 28 Mar 2018 at 1:10pm
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:12pm
Aren't they looking to put a 75% majority vote for the 12 weeks to be amended in any way in the future? Did I hear that correctly somewhere?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:14pm

Aren't they looking to put a 75% majority vote for the 12 weeks to be amended in any way in the future? Did I hear that correctly somewhere?

I think that was what was being proposed. But that would almost certainly be unconstitutional, as it would bind future governments.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:14pm

You did, until Coveney was given a basic lesson in constitutional democracy and told that was bollocks.

Any Act of the Oireachtas has to be capable of being repealed by the Oireachtas by simple majority of the Oireachtas. Like they couldn't pass an Act that said "any future repeal of this act has to be unanimous". It's a basic constitutional norm.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:32pm
It's a funny one really isn't it. Essentially we're being asked do we want:

a. Law to stay as it is
b. Law to change to something else (but we won't tell you yet what that is)
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

You did, until Coveney was given a basic lesson in constitutional democracy and told that was bollocks.

Any Act of the Oireachtas has to be capable of being repealed by the Oireachtas by simple majority of the Oireachtas. Like they couldn't pass an Act that said "any future repeal of this act has to be unanimous". It's a basic constitutional norm.
That was Simon Harris wasn't it?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:48pm
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:53pm
A yes for me. The current constitution doesn't work and discriminates. Those with the resources (financial, access, support) to go through with an abortion for the wide spectrum of reasons are able to do so. Those who don't have the resources can't - financial, fear, access.

I try to avoid the emotive side but the situation of parents bringing feotuses home for burial in car boots or vacuum packed is horrific.

Religious Faith should not be in the debate.

Personal pain not been able to have children I have great sympathy for but I don't think is relevant.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 28 Mar 2018 at 1:54pm
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:10pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

A yes for me. The current constitution doesn't work and discriminates. Those with the resources (financial, access, support) to go through with an abortion for the wide spectrum of reasons are able to do so. Those who don't have the resources can't - financial, fear, access.

I try to avoid the emotive side but the situation of parents bringing feotuses home for burial in car boots or vacuum packed is horrific.

Personal pain not been able to have children I have great sympathy for but I don't think is relevant.
In one.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

In one.

Agree. Indeed, the areas where "Save the 8th" campaign most heavily are those that are most disadvantaged. they have numerous ads in the north inner city but you dont see many in Ballsbridge. The women in these areas are precisely the ones who are more likely to get trapped by the amendment - those who do not have the means to travel. It is insidious campaigning. the 'pro-life' side are not bothering targeting those who live in areas that would imply a better standard of living conditions. they would rather target the more vulnerable with their fearmongering. 

Put it this way. With this debate at the forefront of society a number of pressure groups have sprung up to 'save the 8th' with the argument usually being some variant of the idea that "all life is precious". If we take them at face value and give them the benefit of the doubt that they are not being disingenuous here - why are these groups not staging marches pressuring the government to provide socioeconomic guarantees in the constitution; increased benefits for single mothers in poor areas, more children's hospitals and so on if they are so concerned about the preciousness of the life of the child? The reason for that is that it's not that these people are pro-life - that would suggest they give a f**k what happens to the child after it is born. They are pro-birth and nothing more. Religious dogma and a desire to retain the last bastion of theocratic control in Ireland drives these particular groups rather than the wellbeing of the child. 

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 28 Mar 2018 at 2:34pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:37pm
The uk have recently as last week and said that due to increased numbers that they will start refusing Irish patients and prioritising their oen patients
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Agree. Indeed, the areas where "Save the 8th" campaign most heavily are those that are most disadvantaged. they have numerous ads in the north inner city but you dont see many in Ballsbridge. The women in these areas are precisely the ones who are more likely to get trapped by the amendment - those who do not have the means to travel. It is insidious campaigning. the 'pro-life' side are not bothering targeting those who live in areas that would imply a better standard of living conditions. they would rather target the more vulnerable with their fearmongering.

Campaigns like this will always focus their attention on where they are likely to get most traction. The anti-EU crowd were highly focussed on that area too, with their "They Died for Your Freedom" style argument, which buys into the allegedly nationalistic and Republican tendencies in socio-economically deprived areas. The same applies to candidates who are further away from the centre left and right, who know full well there is little point focussing their attention on Dublin South, but looking for traction in places like South-Central, and South West.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 3:14pm

Agreed.

I wonder if the church wasn't involved if there'd be much opposition to this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 42>
  Share Topic