You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:46am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

have a big fear that this will be a no result. worried that any of the polls don't account for what I think will be a large number of no votes outside of Dublin. also, a lot of younger people based in Dublin may not have either registered/changed their polling station to where they are now living. gutted I can't vote due to the very limited capability for those living abroad

Huge amount of voters registered in the lead up, Monday alone had 3000 done in one of the Dublin councils.

Am worried myself though, Yes campaign has been brutal.
Just following it from England, the 'yes' campaign has been an embarrassment. All they had to do was deal in medical science, facts and reality and they have failed to do that.
The whole debacle has made it embarrassing to be Irish.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:36am
Can't wait for it to be over. Sadly I think it's going to be a no vote. This is probably too simplistic but everyone who voted no on same sex marriage will vote no here I'd imagine and it didn't pass by a million miles. Far more people will vote no for this and the yes campaign won't have swayed people otherwise...Even my girlfriends family were far to in your face about the repeal side giving me lectures that I wasn't flying home for it, despite the fact I don't think I have my vote anymore
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:56am
The Irish Times poll today was interesting I thought. Result is about 58/42 in favor of Yes (excluding undecideds), but they asked a bunch of other questions too that were interesting.

The answer for "do you support 12 week abortion on demand" was a majority No, showing a lot of people who intend to vote "Yes" don't want 12 week abortion on demand (but are will to accept it as a compromise).

On the other hand, the answer for "do you think abortion should be allowed cases of rape/incest/fatal abnormalities", it was a much larger Yes, showing a lot of people planning on voting No would support that issues.

That's a big conflict, we're being asked 2 questions, but can only give one answer. I reckon if these were two separate questions, we'd get 2 different answers.
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:00am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

have a big fear that this will be a no result. worried that any of the polls don't account for what I think will be a large number of no votes outside of Dublin. also, a lot of younger people based in Dublin may not have either registered/changed their polling station to where they are now living. gutted I can't vote due to the very limited capability for those living abroad

Huge amount of voters registered in the lead up, Monday alone had 3000 done in one of the Dublin councils.

Just following it from England, the 'yes' campaign has been an embarrassment. All they had to do was deal in medical science, facts and reality and they have failed to do that.

Except they have been doing exactly that. The Institute of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in Ireland have come out with fact based evidence supporting repeal, along with the Psychology Society of Ireland who have released fact based evidence regarding the psychology surrounding the 8th itself and the impact that it has on women's mental health. Both the Masters of the Rotunda and the NMH have also called for a repeal of the 8th and over 1200 doctors have pledged their support for repeal. There is plenty of fact-based research that the Yes side has provided, but the No side have been shown to be peddling half-truths when it comes to dealing with facts and have resorted to crass behaviour (picketing Maternity hospitals and using people with Downs Syndrome on their posters when asked not to https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/plea-to-leave-down-syndrome-out-of-campaign-470524.html)  
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

Except they have been doing exactly that. The Institute of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in Ireland have come out with fact based evidence supporting repeal, along with the Psychology Society of Ireland who have released fact based evidence regarding the psychology surrounding the 8th itself and the impact that it has on women's mental health. Both the Masters of the Rotunda and the NMH have also called for a repeal of the 8th and over 1200 doctors have pledged their support for repeal. There is plenty of fact-based research that the Yes side has provided, but the No side have been shown to be peddling half-truths when it comes to dealing with facts and have resorted to crass behaviour (picketing Maternity hospitals and using people with Downs Syndrome on their posters when asked not to https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/plea-to-leave-down-syndrome-out-of-campaign-470524.html)  

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around, does it make a noise? They're no posters or ads up anywhere that I've seen pushing that message.

Edited by nvidic - 17 May 2018 at 11:06am
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:09am
I think that we'll see a yes result, but it will be a close 55/45 split or something like that. There's no way this will be an overwhelming yes or no vote.
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:27am

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around, does it make a noise? They're no posters or ads up anywhere that I've seen pushing that message.

RTE twitter had a 4 min clip of speaking to people in different towns along the M8; scared the sh*te out of me as to how many more negative views there were than positive. the church has far more 'followers' in the countryside and plays a massive part. far harder to canvas for a yes vote in rural areas, and just think that live shows such as the Claire byrne one this week doesn't allow for honest facts/debate to be outlined for the viewer. "the common people are very much influenced by what the press says" is a line in a book I'm reading at the moment, and I feel that it really is very apt, not just on the referendum, but can be shared across brexit and anything those terrorists in the US do. (mad that it's from a book on Argentinian football!)
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:28am

But the campaign is not just confined to posters. Canvassing, social media, talks etc are the better outlets pushing these messages
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:35am

RTE twitter had a 4 min clip of speaking to people in different towns along the M8; scared the sh*te out of me as to how many more negative views there were than positive. the church has far more 'followers' in the countryside and plays a massive part. far harder to canvas for a yes vote in rural areas, and just think that live shows such as the Claire byrne one this week doesn't allow for honest facts/debate to be outlined for the viewer. "the common people are very much influenced by what the press says" is a line in a book I'm reading at the moment, and I feel that it really is very apt, not just on the referendum, but can be shared across brexit and anything those terrorists in the US do. (mad that it's from a book on Argentinian football!)

That's true and it can apply across the board. Like I mentioned, the PSI released a fact sheet regarding the psychology of referendums (in general) noting how people analyse political debate emotionally as well as intellectually, with problems like confirmation bias, appeals to emotion and slippery slope arguments appearing in debates like that one the other night and throughout the campaign

https://www.psychologicalsociety.ie/footer/PSI-Guidelines-Policies--Papers

Edited by Darraghn92 - 17 May 2018 at 11:36am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:52am
Of course they have, but is that the main arguments being pushed? Look at that Byrne show fiasco the other night. People's attention spans are growing shorter and shorter. Instead of pushing short, sharp and truthful messages the 'yes' side are just engaging in the same sort of debate that the 'remainers' did here. They have been terrible at getting the message across.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:13pm

But the campaign is not just confined to posters. Canvassing, social media, talks etc are the better outlets pushing these messages

I'm just going by myself but had no canvassers on either side, seen nothing on social (although I don't have Facebook, I'm not sure you'd get much undecided at talks either.

Would find it hard to suggest the Yes campaign is going well or the facts are getting across based from that, opinion polls are quickly and drastically going the other way too, I'd blame complacenecy on Yes side myself
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:14pm

Of course they have, but is that the main arguments being pushed? Look at that Byrne show fiasco the other night. People's attention spans are growing shorter and shorter. Instead of pushing short, sharp and truthful messages the 'yes' side are just engaging in the same sort of debate that the 'remainers' did here. They have been terrible at getting the message across.

The No campaigners I have seen are all generally a older generation . They probably are retired and better organised with more time on their hands to be out on the street . They are using  online stuff aswell but it seems to be actual people distributing leaflets , knocking on doors and putting up posters.The only side of the yes campaign seems to be online preaching , and alot of this preaching is only done for fishing for Likes on FB 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:24pm
Thank you John Waters. 

More of Mr. Waters on national media over the next week, please. 

Much more. 
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Thank you John Waters. 

Much more. 

That interview with dunphy? Shameful Confused
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:37pm

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Thank you John Waters. 

Much more. 

That interview with dunphy? Shameful Confused

And every single No campaigner held their head in their hands as they heard it, no doubt. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:38pm

It depends on the various elements of the campaign. Large portions of the Yes Campaign have been fact based. But there are the more rogue elements who have actually fallen into the trap of making it an "us v them" argument with the No Camp. Essentially, they are more interested in the No Camp losing, as opposed to the Yes Camp winning.

I have always seen some pretty poor form on social media in terms of what is being shared. An example is one of those memes with pictures of four brains ranging from the small brain in the first column to a large brain radiating truth and understanding in the last. The first brain obviously being against repeal, all the way up to the second from last one representing a desire to repeal based on the the legal and medical impairment the 8th Amendment causes. However, the final photo, which clearly is meant to represent the most enlightened brain actually appears to place dogs on a higher rank than unborn children. There have been elements of the campaign who have actually been quite dismissive of the unborn life, and this was the nadir. I was amazed to see people actually sharing such an awful meme.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

The No campaigners I have seen are all generally a older generation . They probably are retired and better organised with more time on their hands to be out on the street . They are using  online stuff aswell but it seems to be actual people distributing leaflets , knocking on doors and putting up posters.The only side of the yes campaign seems to be online preaching , and alot of this preaching is only done for fishing for Likes on FB 

In the event of a tight defeat the people that can take a share of credit for it are the virtue signallers who sat on the sidelines during the referendum, and rather than knocking on doors, or heading to areas where a no vote was on the cards, sat behind their warm keyboards and clicked "share" and "like" on every repeal meme and long winded post. The fact that some people genuinely believe that politics plays itself out on social media is truly mind boggling.

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 6:18pm
They call it an echo chamber so I believe. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 42>
  Share Topic