You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

Single Equality Ground politics is not about inclusion. It's about the single narrow message for the Equality Ground.
Some of the messages of YES campaign wants to win on the principled, narrow terms of ownership/personal decision-making.  Let other groups present more complex, layered inclusion arguments.

For me the majority of YES messages matches exactly the reasons to repeal 27th Amendment (2006). Right of travel, Personal decisions on Medical diagnosis, Gender-specific, Family-specific and perhaps Parental-specific.  The only exclusion is Ethnicity between 8th/36th and 27th. (Both fear of England Medical Procedures and fear of Nigerian Mothers).

Twinning 8th/36th and 27th increases inclusion and after that the chance of political success. Single Equality Ground equalists want to win their narrow arguments on their own, without any help from other groups in society, without expanding their political arguments to be more representative.

Members of society are aware of the flaws and recognise that Single Equality Ground politics doesn't represent the person.  Layer Single Equality Grounds together (nine atm, there should be more) and it's more representative. More complex too, that's a good thing.
That's written in a beautiful Eastern European gibberish style, mate. 

You could almost be advertising Polish apartments online.

I have polished apartments in the past, but wasn't involved in the marketing.  How many different beautiful Eastern European gibberish styles would you identify?  Homogenous criticism may suit you but you're welcome to be specific ( if you could be pacific in your specific criticism, that would be welcomed).
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:42am
I don't understand anything you have written there.  I don't understand the point you are making.  If that was released as a press release I would figure that over 95% of the population of Ireland would feel the same, therefore I believe it to be poor communication.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:47am
I think he said he's voting No
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I don't understand anything you have written there.  I don't understand the point you are making.  If that was released as a press release I would figure that over 95% of the population of Ireland would feel the same, therefore I believe it to be poor communication.  

You don't understand what an Equality Ground is?

After edit: info on discrimination in the workplace on 9 Equality grounds
So Equality politics has narrowed itself to Single Equality Grounds (based on the nine) but none of each of the Single Equality Grounds are representative of a person. The more each Equality Ground is layer together the representative that layering is.

Edited by UCDFAN - 09 May 2018 at 10:59am
www.ucdsupporters.ie
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:48am
I felt it was perfectly cromulent post. 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:49am

Single Equality Ground politics is not about inclusion. It's about the single narrow message for the Equality Ground.
Some of the messages of YES campaign wants to win on the principled, narrow terms of ownership/personal decision-making.  Let other groups present more complex, layered inclusion arguments.

For me the majority of YES messages matches exactly the reasons to repeal 27th Amendment (2006). Right of travel, Personal decisions on Medical diagnosis, Gender-specific, Family-specific and perhaps Parental-specific.  The only exclusion is Ethnicity between 8th/36th and 27th. (Both fear of England Medical Procedures and fear of Nigerian Mothers).

Twinning 8th/36th and 27th increases inclusion and after that the chance of political success. Single Equality Ground equalists want to win their narrow arguments on their own, without any help from other groups in society, without expanding their political arguments to be more representative.

Members of society are aware of the flaws and recognise that Single Equality Ground politics doesn't represent the person.  Layer Single Equality Grounds together (nine atm, there should be more) and it's more representative. More complex too, that's a good thing.
That's written in a beautiful Eastern European gibberish style, mate. 

You could almost be advertising Polish apartments online.

I have polished apartments in the past, but wasn't involved in the marketing.  How many different beautiful Eastern European gibberish styles would you identify?  Homogenous criticism may suit you but you're welcome to be specific ( if you could be pacific in your specific criticism, that would be welcomed).
I love Russian one, which make war on article. 

Of example, see, please, our choice of apartment for you to view. In your stay you will enjoy choice of all Moscow has to offer in World's Cup. 

In three room, find all what you want to make stay in Moscow for World's Cup comfortable to you. 

There is balcony and for use of you there is mini-bar. We most highly recommend drink of traditional Russian hospitality drink Novichok for enjoyment of you. 

BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 11:01am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

I felt it was perfectly cromulent post. 

LOLLOLLOL
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 11:06am
No voters invaded Arklow yesterday!

It was the usual aggressive carry on of handing leaflets to children with graphic pictures on them  (I've heard this happen a lot), yelling at people, stopping cars etc.

Though the best story of all is that a priest told 2 young girls that they needed to be shot!

You can't help but laugh at them ClownLOL
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 11:33am

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Somebody needs to take their head out of academic books in the library and speak in normal English to communicate properly. 

I was thinking the exact same thing.  

Both of you are welcome to ask me directly what it is you didn't understand. But you chose not to do that. You will criticise others for not communicating properly when you don't even talk directly to the person to request clarification.

Speaking for myself, I don't need clarification. Surely it's blatantly obvious though that people don't go around discussing issues in the manner that you did and that it is not necessarily going to be clear to some people what you are on about as a result of using abstract, academic concepts. You're not writing your college thesis! 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 11:51am

Am I to assume your beef is with the 2004 Citizenship referendum, and its outcome?
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Am I to assume your beef is with the 2004 Citizenship referendum, and its outcome?

For me, the 27th Amendment and those it excluded can be linked with the campaign politics of this 8th/36th Amendment.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:40pm

For me, the 27th Amendment and those it excluded can be linked with the campaign politics of this 8th/36th Amendment.

I would like to say I understand how you draw the link between the politics of this amendment, and the Citizenship referendum in 2004. Don't forget, we had a very limited referendum on the issue in 2002, which had a narrow rejection.

Are you saying that the politics of the pro-amendment side in 2004 are similar to the politics of the anti repeal side in 2018? 
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:53pm

I would like to say I understand how you draw the link between the politics of this amendment, and the Citizenship referendum in 2004. Don't forget, we had a very limited referendum on the issue in 2002, which had a narrow rejection.

Are you saying that the politics of the pro-amendment side in 2004 are similar to the politics of the anti repeal side in 2018? 

No, it's some of the YES campaign 2018 that could be used for the defence of the defeated NO campaign of the 27th.

Right to personal Medical Decision
Right for Women to make personal decision over body
Previously Right to Travel was an Abortion issue.

The Single Equality Ground equalists for Gender don't seem to link 27th and 8th/36th because 27th was Ethnicity/Nationality and 8th/36th is Gender.

My politics links 27th and 8th/36th campaigns. I'd be into multi-Equality Ground politics.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:05pm

No, it's some of the YES campaign 2018 that could be used for the defence of the defeated NO campaign of the 27th.

The Single Equality Ground equalists for Gender don't seem to link 27th and 8th/36th because 27th was Ethnicity/Nationality and 8th/36th is Gender.

My politics links 27th and 8th/36th campaigns. I'd be into multi-Equality Ground politics.

Okay. Fair enough.

But what aspects of the campaign could have been used in both cases?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

No voters invaded Arklow yesterday!

It was the usual aggressive carry on of handing leaflets to children with graphic pictures on them  (I've heard this happen a lot), yelling at people, stopping cars etc.

Though the best story of all is that a priest told 2 young girls that they needed to be shot!

You can't help but laugh at them ClownLOL
You see, all these stories that "definitely happen" are making the pro-abortion side even worse than the anti-abortion side. We have no evidence of any of this, just stories that get passed from word of mount to make one side look worse. The pro-abortion side is really shooting itself in the foot with all these stories doing the rounds on Twitter. Stick to the facts and they'll win. Engage in this nonsense and they'll lose.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:14pm

They're being outspent.

Their digital advertising presence is non-existent compared to the No campaign.
BTW, is there any evidence of being outspent? I keep hearing the Yes campaign complaining about it, but haven't seen anything solid.
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:23pm

Okay. Fair enough.

But what aspects of the cdampaign could have been used in both cases?

Sorry the first two lines of the second paragraph.
"Right to personal Medical Decision
Previously Right to Travel was an Abortion issue. "
Messages in this 2018 campaign which remind voters of these entitlements. These same messages could've been used to challenge 27th Amendment where the proponents crimalised women who were pregnant in Ireland.

Edited by UCDFAN - 09 May 2018 at 1:25pm
www.ucdsupporters.ie
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

They're being outspent.

Their digital advertising presence is non-existent compared to the No campaign.
BTW, is there any evidence of being outspent? I keep hearing the Yes campaign complaining about it, but haven't seen anything solid.
More posters. 

Way more online ads. 

Investing in the services of Aggergate IQ etc.

Say what you see, as somebody once said. 

This is effectively the anti-choicers' last stand in the Western world. 

It has huge symbolic value for them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 42>
  Share Topic