You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:51pm
I would have thought between the GFA and pre-Brexit matters it wouldn’t matter where you come from?Also, if private providers are licensed to provide the service they wont turn down those who wish to avail of it.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

He was right to ask that. These lads formed a group to give the impression that the GAA is backing the no vote, and they could be very influential in the outcome, yet they don't actually have a vote themselves.

People from the north could quite easily cross the border for an abortion so this affects everyone on the island. 

Well, when those in the North could find themselves in a United Ireland in their lifetimes, surely they have an interest in the Constitution of that nation? The framework is clear that a United Ireland is possible if certain preconditions are met. That being the case, it makes sense that people in the North make their views known on any constitutional issue. They may not have the right at the minute, but they clearly believe they may have the right in the future and that the Constitution may come to govern them. It is different from people outside the island, or outside any other jurisdiction, having a say on what appear to be internal affairs in another country, where these could be internal affairs and where those speaking wish they were.

I may disagree with Harte but he has the right to voice his opinion on this. Just because he doesn't have a vote doesn't mean he shouldn't voice his opinion.
Padraig View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/poll-finds-drop-in-support-for-repeal-of-eighth-amendment-which-remains-well-ahead-of-no-side-838297.html

Yes side at 47%
No side at 28%
Undecided at 20%
Rest not voting/not answering 

Those figures would concern me. I think it is valid, and rightly cautious to view a greater number of the "Don't Knows" as against Repeal. Many people who are silent on the issue are doing so based on the current climate where it is unpopular to argue against Repeal.

This is inaccurate. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/irish-times-poll-public-favour-repeal-of-eighth-despite-slip-in-support-1.3467503

"Among voters who said they were undecided at this stage, twice as many said they were “leaning towards” repeal (30 per cent of undecideds) as were leaning towards keeping the amendment (15 per cent)."

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 11:30am
I'm delighted to read that. For years in referendums "don't knows" have always been treated as no votes. Good to see that doesn't need to be the case here.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:04pm
I see a majority of Fianna Fáil PP intend to vote against repeal.

I wonder if that will influence constituents?

Edited by Het-field - 03 May 2018 at 2:05pm
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:20pm
I'd hope not. Then again, anyone who votes Fianna Fail usually has a screw loose or is rooted in the 1950's.

I still shudder at the results they got in 2016 general election Dead
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
benboview View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benboview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:33am

What would Michael Corleone do?

benboview View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benboview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:36am
Take your abortion on demand and shove it Harris.

What a ****.
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:44pm
Yes voters campaigning at train stations in Dublin today Clap
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Yes voters campaigning at train stations in Dublin today Clap

I saw them in Strandhill there at the weekend.

Such a difference in their approach compared to the No side, they had a couch to sit down and discuss the issue and answer any questions and seem to be an outgoing happy bunch.

The No side seem to just be about shock tactics, lies and throwing leaflets at people!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:00pm
I see Simon Harris was targeted by the anti-repeal crowd with mocked FG posters containing an image of Harris and a foetus.

The rogue elements of this campaign have been especially nasty and disrespectful.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:02pm
Decent sized queue of people in DLR offices in Dun Laoghaire registering to vote about 30 mins ago...shame it's the Dundrum office they need to go to but they'll be looked after.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:17pm

I was just down to Dublin City Council and it was busy enough also. 

I think it will be a Yes vote from Dublin but I wouldn't be sure if that will be enough to carry it through. 
El Puto Amo
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:23pm
Very concerned about this one and think the No vote may swing it. At 9/4 you would think there is no chance but was talking to a group of friends on Sunday and was very surprised to hear them say they are undecided. These are young enough (early 40's), intelligent people and not religious at all. I assumed they would all be Yes.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:40pm
Yeah, looking at the opinion polls the undecideds are regularly coming out at c. 20%. I guessing that's higher than normal for a referendum? I have a feeling that, when it comes down to it, more of this undecided section are going to be voting no than yes.

As you say the bookies would have you believe this is almost done and dusted, but I reckon it's gonna be tighter than a camel's arse in a sandstorm.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Very concerned about this one and think the No vote may swing it. At 9/4 you would think there is no chance but was talking to a group of friends on Sunday and was very surprised to hear them say they are undecided. These are young enough (early 40's), intelligent people and not religious at all. I assumed they would all be Yes.

In this instance I wouldn't rush to conflate age with the conservative/liberal axis on this one.

I have met numbers of older people who are gunning to cast a repeal vote, and younger folk who are undecided or against the proposal. It's such an emotive topic and I have been surprised by the number of people willing to vote against. It was like post Brexit when I found out that several of my friends voted to leave the EU, in spite of the fact I couldn't have imagined them doing so.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:27pm

The undecided voters should be voting for repeal. Even if you personally are not in favor of abortion, you shouldn't take the decision out of the hands of doctors to make the right call in their informed professional opinions where they think it is correct decision. There are a myriad of different potential circumstances for diverse groups of people and choice should be afforded to them also. 
El Puto Amo
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

The undecided voters should be voting for repeal. Even if you personally are not in favor of abortion, you shouldn't take the decision out of the hands of doctors to make the right call in their informed professional opinions where they think it is correct decision. There are a myriad of different potential circumstances for diverse groups of people and choice should be afforded to them also. 

If the person is genuinely undecided on the issue then yes, that makes sense. Whether rightly or wrongly however I just perceive a good chunk of that undecided vote to actually be soft no voters - a bit like with the marriage referendum.

In fact it would be interesting to see what percentage of the undecided vote in the marriage referendum transpired to be yes/no in the end.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 42>
  Share Topic