You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:26pm
Its a yes from me Thumbs Up

adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

I think this one is not going to go through . Old people vote and young people do not . 
Personally I am anti-abortion but I have no right to tell a woman what to do with her body and would vote yes if I lived in Ireland. 
I think it'll be a no vote as the 'Yes' side are not debating, rather just insulting. You need to convince the undecides voters, especially men, who would have a higher amount voting 'no'. Shouting down any opinion will not work.

Not trying to be smart here, but I highly doubt the Vote Yes side are just "insulting". Even then, being insulted is a highly subjective thing. I've seen some Vote No posters that have a slogan that goes along the lines of "A license to kill?"; that could be insulting to some people. 

Again, I'm not trying to be condescending here, but how do you know that more men will vote no? Personally, I'm surprised by the amount of women I've seen who are pro-life. I don't think there's much of correlation between gender and stance on this.
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:35pm
I’ve seen very few ‘Yes’ posters around. Have only seen them in Dublin but none so far in Cork. In contrast ‘No’ posters seem to be a dime a dozen.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

I think this one is not going to go through . Old people vote and young people do not . 
Personally I am anti-abortion but I have no right to tell a woman what to do with her body and would vote yes if I lived in Ireland. 
I think it'll be a no vote as the 'Yes' side are not debating, rather just insulting. You need to convince the undecides voters, especially men, who would have a higher amount voting 'no'. Shouting down any opinion will not work.

Not trying to be smart here, but I highly doubt the Vote Yes side are just "insulting". Even then, being insulted is a highly subjective thing. I've seen some Vote No posters that have a slogan that goes along the lines of "A license to kill?"; that could be insulting to some people. 

Again, I'm not trying to be condescending here, but how do you know that more men will vote no? Personally, I'm surprised by the amount of women I've seen who are pro-life. I don't think there's much of correlation between gender and stance on this.
Why can't the "abortion is murder" crowd just be honest and admit they'd like women who have abortions to be in prison for premeditated murder?

170,000 Irish women travelled abroad to have abortions between 1980 and 2016. 

The "abortion is murder" crowd think these women should be in prison. 

I'd like to see their plan as to how the state will create these extra prison places.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:54pm

Yeah the debate is non-existent. Just a load of maoning about how graphic they think the No side posters are. 

It's definitely not as slam dunk as I thought it would be.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Do you mean that you are voting no or do you mean that you think that the result of the referendum will be no?
I think as it stands the result will be no. I'm voting whatever way the medical people say to vote.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Yeah the debate is non-existent. Just a load of maoning about how graphic they think the No side posters are. 

It's definitely not as slam dunk as I thought it would be.
[/QUOTE]

I think the figures in the Marriage Equality referendum made it clear that this would be a much harder one to successfully pass. The No vote in that case fell just short of 40%, and the yes vote undoubtedly included people who would vote for Gay Marriage, but see anything to do with abortion as an entirely different kettle of fish. It may still pass reasonably comprehensively, however, that is entirely dependant on how the campaign goes over the final few weeks. Its no slam dunk.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:09pm
There were 3 or 4 protesters in Carlow Town earlier with a massive poster of a dead baby standing protesting near the main shopping centre, absolutely disgusting to see such a graffic poster being used.

It was easily an 8ft by 8ft banner. 

Edited by Green Devil - 19 Apr 2018 at 10:12pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:35pm
Seen a few No posters that had been ripped down in Castletroy today. Could easily have been drunk students rather than those from the Yes side.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

I’ve seen very few ‘Yes’ posters around. Have only seen them in Dublin but none so far in Cork. In contrast ‘No’ posters seem to be a dime a dozen.

There's a few Yes posters starting to come up around Cork city anyway, I've seen them mostly around UCC
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:01am
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

There's a few Yes posters starting to come up around Cork city anyway, I've seen them mostly around UCC

Have seen a few ‘Yes’ ones around too, still far fewer than ‘No’ posters though. I have to say some of the ‘Yes’ posters I’ve seen won’t be very effective in my opinion. There is one that says “Our bodies, Our choice”. Granted, this topic affects women much more than men, but that poster, to me anyway, suggests it is completely a female matter, and men have no input. It won’t change my mind, but if a fella that is undecided sees that, it’s unlikely to influence him to vote repeal.

Edited by HuntysCousin - 20 Apr 2018 at 12:01am
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:23am
Repeal the 8ft by 8ft
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:55am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

There were 3 or 4 protesters in Carlow Town earlier with a massive poster of a dead baby standing protesting near the main shopping centre, absolutely disgusting to see such a graffic poster being used.
Same thing every smoker has to see every time they pick up a pack of cigarettes. Images help illustrate what we're actually voting for. 

The images aren't pretty, neither is abortion
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:04am
I'm just surprised to learn that a dead baby can stand and protest.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:21am

Same thing every smoker has to see every time they pick up a pack of cigarettes. Images help illustrate what we're actually voting for. 

I don’t think anyone could argue with that but why use images of (basically) fully formed children in the womb when this clearly isn’t the case? 
People including you have given out about the Yes sides attitude, but surely the lies, and that’s what they are, from the No side are forcing this attitude out of sheer frustration. 
It’s like watching Trump have a pop at Hilary pre election when she lost her cool. 
Fake news sells in Ireland. We should be embarrassed  

Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:07am

No it doesn't, those pictures are used completely out of context. The legislation would not involve abortions after a 12 week period, and so having pictures implying that abortions on any grounds up to 6 months will be available is completely deceitful and scare mongering. Abortions post 24 weeks are only ever done on the ground of medical necessity where the mothers life is at risk. These posters don't show that, and imply that pregnancies can be terminated up to 6 months for any reason. In the UK there were just over 200 abortions performed at that stage. It's just plain and simple scare mongering and misinformation.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 11:29am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I don’t think anyone could argue with that but why use images of (basically) fully formed children in the womb when this clearly isn’t the case? 
People including you have given out about the Yes sides attitude, but surely the lies, and that’s what they are, from the No side are forcing this attitude out of sheer frustration. 
It’s like watching Trump have a pop at Hilary pre election when she lost her cool. 
Fake news sells in Ireland. We should be embarrassed
Yeah totally agree, both sides have silly attitudes to the debate.

Do the referendum commission still do their impartial advice/facts leaflets before each election?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 42>
  Share Topic