You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Some of the lies being touted by the no side are astounding. They’ve even resorted to impersonating medical professionals to spew fake news on the streets. 
Regardless of the outcome of this referendum we as a country should be ashamed of how this is being played out

Absolutely spot on.... I was home for first time in a while and Dublin and Galway covered in posters spouting sh*te that 1 in 5 babies are aborted...ConfusedConfusedConfused

Utter scare mongering!  Hopefully people are seeing this shi.te and that the Fact are filtering through.

that's actually true believe it or not, albeit liberal use of the word 'babies'

I'll be voting yes but bit worried about how far ahead the No side are with posters in Dublin, much more of them, they're better produced and I think are more likely to sway undecided (there are some people who will be swayed by posters amazingly). Yes side far behind and posters they do have are crap.

I work in Dun Laoghaire and they had a massive (I'd guess 10x6) being held up by people wearing bodycams at the crossroads last week picturing what they claim was a foetus aborted at 10 weeks.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

It's gonna be a fairly toxic few weeks of campaigning alright. The images used by the No side are poxy. 

On a side note has anyone seen the Vegan billboard campaign that has been ongoing for the last couple of months? I thought it was a joke at first. A picture of a dead fish saying that he has feelings too or something along those lines. And then another one stating that there is no such thing as humane eggs. 

Funny thing is, plants are less primitive (have more responses to predation, etc.) than a mollusc. That What the Health documentary on Netflix summed up the utter sh*te Vegans come out with to promote their way of eating.

Some of the No side have even started putting up posters in private housing estates where I live, surely that's against campaign procedure. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

I'll be voting yes but bit worried about how far ahead the No side are with posters in Dublin, much more of them, they're better produced and I think are more likely to sway undecided (there are some people who will be swayed by posters amazingly). Yes side far behind and posters they do have are crap.

North Dublin was covered with same poster for the No side claiming something along the lines of abortion up to 6 months will be allowed etc. No other design or argument, and it was up everywhere

You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:04pm
The Yes side were slow to start but should see a physical presence now with the half mill raised last week. 
Hopefully they stick to clear irrefutable facts & don’t stoop to the No sides level. 
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

It's gonna be a fairly toxic few weeks of campaigning alright. The images used by the No side are poxy. 

On a side note has anyone seen the Vegan billboard campaign that has been ongoing for the last couple of months? I thought it was a joke at first. A picture of a dead fish saying that he has feelings too or something along those lines. And then another one stating that there is no such thing as humane eggs. 

There's a billboard on the N20 outside of Mallow that seems to alternate weekly from being pro-vegan to pro-life, which I find funny as the two beliefs are generally as part of opposing ideologies as a whole
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:12pm

The Yes side were slow to start but should see a physical presence now with the half mill raised last week. 
Hopefully they stick to clear irrefutable facts & don’t stoop to the No sides level. 

I think there is no chance of that considering the people on board on the Repeal Campaign. A well run campaign should see this over the line.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

Some of the lies being touted by the no side are astounding. They’ve even resorted to impersonating medical professionals to spew fake news on the streets. 
Regardless of the outcome of this referendum we as a country should be ashamed of how this is being played out

Absolutely spot on.... I was home for first time in a while and Dublin and Galway covered in posters spouting sh*te that 1 in 5 babies are aborted...ConfusedConfusedConfused

Utter scare mongering!  Hopefully people are seeing this shi.te and that the Fact are filtering through.

that's actually true believe it or not, albeit liberal use of the word 'babies'

I work in Dun Laoghaire and they had a massive (I'd guess 10x6) being held up by people wearing bodycams at the crossroads last week picturing what they claim was a foetus aborted at 10 weeks.

I believe it's closer to 1 in 6 than 1 in 5 but it only accounts for births rather than pregnancies. If they used pregnancies then they'd have to include all miscarriages etc. and their numbers would go way down.
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 3:01pm
Abortion rates are published to show the number of abortions per 1,000 women in different age groups. In the UK the all age abortion rate, the number of abortions per 1,000 women aged 14–49, has been used to compare levels of abortion over time. The age-standardised abortion rate was 16.0 per 1,000 resident women aged 15-44 in 2016 in the UK. Age standardised rates are used to measure various different aspects in epidemiology, such as mortality rates. A 1.6% rate obviously isn't as inflammatory as 1 in 5
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 3:47pm
This will be very close. As a country, we are in a big rush to proclaim ourselves as modern & progressive, but we often forget the hold the church, and to a lesser extent, FF, has on parts of the country. Even though Micheál Martin has supported repeal, considerable numbers of his party have not.  Our own local FF TD/Waste of space didn't even want to allow her constituents the right to vote in the first place and voted against the referendum in the Dail. 

Although that attitude harks back to the dark days where we were ruled by the church via FF, the other factor there is that say what you like about them, but FF TD's invariably know their voters mindsets, and they are in most cases (there probably are a few cases where personal beliefs held sway) reflecting the views of an older, conservative, dinner at 1.00, mass on Sunday generation. 

The same sex marriage referendum passed by 62% to 38%, not that the subjects are in any way comparable, but can anyone realistically see any of that 38% voting yes in this one ?? That result would indicate ''No'' have close on 40% of the vote before it ever happens, and this is a far more emotive subject that people are inclined to have strong views on, one way or another. 

It will be a nasty campaign, but I'm not sure posters or billboards on vans will sway anyone one way or another, most people would have an opinion, unlike elections, it isn't a personality contest. Credit to Leo & Harris for putting it out there anyway, unlike the dithering Kenny, who may well personally have a progressive view on the subject in private, but wouldn't dare go against the conservative elements in his constituency when he had repeated chances to do so. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 5:03pm
Returned to same train station on my way home. Loads of flyers found in bins or left behind.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Returned to same train station on my way home. Loads of flyers found in bins or left behind.

I hope you cleaned them up - There are Tidy Towns awards at stake here !
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 6:55pm
I want to deface those vegan posters with the line: "but bacon cheeseburgers are delicious".
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:34pm
Veganism is a choice which is worn like an achievement. What have they got to be proud of that vegetarians don't?
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Veganism is a choice which is worn like an achievement. What have they got to be proud of that vegetarians don't?

Religion has a hold on this one too, as Seventh Day Adventist Christians promote a plant-based diet.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:15pm
The Save the 8th seem to be a pack of headbangers but the pro-abortion side are just as bad IMO. Plastering the word "Repeal" across tshirts rather than tacking the hard arguments of leaglising abortion. A t-shirt with "Abortion" across the front isn't wuite as good for your instagram it seems! 
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:23pm
I drive past a primary school on my way to work every morning. Noticed this morning there was a large amount of no posters erected on the telephone polls outside the school featuring foetuses in the womb.

Is there not some rule regarding that sort of canvassing near schools? Felt it was bang out of order myself 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

I drive past a primary school on my way to work every morning. Noticed this morning there was a large amount of no posters erected on the telephone polls outside the school featuring foetuses in the womb.

Is there not some rule regarding that sort of canvassing near schools? Felt it was bang out of order myself 

I think the issues related to schools apply on polling day. Canvassers used be able to bombard you all the way up to the booth, which could be festooned with literature. That practice was rightly eliminated years ago. Posturing is subject to local rules, but as long as it's not on an electrical poll it's fine.

corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:37pm
Could there be a silent majority? 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 42>
  Share Topic