Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turkey vs ROI-- 23rd March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:09pm
Going to be another long year of mainly drudgery by the looks of things. While you can't read too much in to a friendly result, or performance for that matter, the Turkey game was a continuation of 2017, our decent on occasion form under MON in 2016 seems like a long time ago. 

Can't add a lot to posts by Mac, Moleman, O'Shea & PM, among others, who have covered the issues very well. One of the scary things is that Rice looked better as an attacking midfielder than those who were picked to play there, and that isn't even his job. It is very early to make calls on the likes of Browne & Hourihane, but they have the look of squad men rather than 1st 11 men already. 

Even at 19, Rice will likely end up being our main man in midfield for the next few years, it might not even turn out to be his best position in the long term, but he'll end up there as it is the area we need him most/are weakest in. One of the most frustrating things was seeing McClean moved centrally after Horgan & Doherty were introduced, I have no idea how many times this has been tried now, and it has failed every single time. It will continue to fail every single time too, as it only serves to further expose his limitations as a footballer. He is a decent left winger, but it is literally the only position he is effective in (he isn't a left wing back any more than he is a centre forward) and how MON hasn't figured that much out at this stage is both worrying & well beyond my understanding. 

The 3-5-2, who knows. It could work V some teams in theory, but if we continue to carry passengers centrally like we did the other night, and continue to ask McClean to play in places well beyond his capabilities, it won't really matter. The lack of keeping the ball in midfield meant Maguire & Hogan were more or less redundant, and they got so little ball in the final third that it effectively meant we were wasting a 2nd body up there, one of them (Hogan was the more effective on the night) would have done.

MON made the point in the week that he doesn't see his job as a coach due to time limitations with the players, and questioned how much improving that a fella of 24/25/26 is going to make in a few days with the international squad, but nearly anyone can see we are a team crying out to be coached and have a defined style of play that doesn't involve Duffy booting it to either the opposition or one of the stands at every opportunity. That ''anyone'' doesn't include MON, Roy, Walford or Guppy though, and that looks like it's going to be a major issue until results & performances continue to prove they are collectively on the wrong track with this team. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sponsored Links

Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think a lot of the problem is nobody coming short for him.

There were a few instances where people came relatively short for him (Browne once for sure) and he hammered a 15 yard pass at him just below the hip. I would actually ban him from passing to anyone who may be closed down at all - puts so much pressure on the receiver.

While, correctly, there has been a lot of clamour for more players who like getting on the ball, we're only beginning to see the wider challenges of implementing such a style, which includes every player on the pitch - not just two or three midfielders.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:40pm

Daryl Horgan wasn't on for long I know but his cameo contained a few moments of promise where he created danger by beating his man while showing that turn of pace he has. I'd love to see him get more game time at Preston
El Puto Amo
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:22pm
The throw in thing annoys me so much. How do we expect to compete at any level when we can't hold onto the ball when we have a throw in. Every single time. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Daryl Horgan wasn't on for long I know but his cameo contained a few moments of promise where he created danger by beating his man while showing that turn of pace he has. I'd love to see him get more game time at Preston

He's confortable on the ball at least. Whether he'd do much damage against top teams is another question, but at the very least he wouldn't continually waste possession in the way that McClean does.

I'd have a similar opinion of Meyler; not a brilliant player by any means, but he is at least calm when he's in possession. Unlike a few of our other midfielders, he doesn't look terrified of receiving a pass into him. Now that doesn't mean he'll do anything special with it, but it at least gives us a platform to move the ball out of defence in a semi-constructive way.

Edited by The O'Shea - 26 Mar 2018 at 1:24pm
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

The throw in thing annoys me so much. How do we expect to compete at any level when we can't hold onto the ball when we have a throw in. Every single time. 
In fairness, how can you hold on to something and throw it?
el2nz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el2nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Just on Duffy, I don't want to be seen to be hammering him! It's just he doesn't have the abilities to play the long passes he seems to think he can. I'm a big fan of his with us. He's a really good no nonsense defender, and if he was instructed properly by the manager about not hitting those nothing long balls consistently, his performances would be even better for us. It just seems to me that the most basic of instructions aren't given to any of our players. The management must do little to no post match analysis of games with the players do they?

Jermaine Jenas did a piece on MOTD2 about him and Dunk, mentioned his long ball passing and I think that that 10 second clip has went to his head and made him think he's Pirlo. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by el2nz el2nz wrote:

Just on Duffy, I don't want to be seen to be hammering him! It's just he doesn't have the abilities to play the long passes he seems to think he can. I'm a big fan of his with us. He's a really good no nonsense defender, and if he was instructed properly by the manager about not hitting those nothing long balls consistently, his performances would be even better for us. It just seems to me that the most basic of instructions aren't given to any of our players. The management must do little to no post match analysis of games with the players do they?

Jermaine Jenas did a piece on MOTD2 about him and Dunk, mentioned his long ball passing and I think that that 10 second clip has went to his head and made him think he's Pirlo. 

Reminds me a bit of Steven Gerrard. He'll occasionally ping a beauty up to a forward, which makes people forget about the 10 failed attempts that preceded it.
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Our players don't even show for throw ins. 

It takes us ages to take throws, partially because every second wasted is a second that we don't need to be in possession on the pitch, and also because the opposition can't score while we're physically holding the ball. 

When the ref tells us to hurry up, our thrower will just hurl it up the line aimlessly.

We are a joke. 

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:01pm

My concern is that the instructions from the manager are indeed to just close your eyes and thump it. In Andy Townsend's book after World Cup 94 he said he was talking to a new player (I think McAteer) and Townsend said that Jack's method is if there is no clear pass to make then just lump it forward. Seems like this still rings true a lot of the time
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:04pm
Those throw ins are beyond embarrassing. Even Coleman looked poor the other night
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by el2nz el2nz wrote:

Reminds me a bit of Steven Gerrard. He'll occasionally ping a beauty up to a forward, which makes people forget about the 10 failed attempts that preceded it.
Once Duffy doesn't start having fifty shots a game!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:07pm
Its the sign of a bad team who can only play one way when, no matter when or where they get a throw-in the player closest to the ball has to set it down and wait for the full back to come up and launch a long 50-50 throw up a line to be flicked on to nobody.

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:09pm
France away should lose that, USA at home, we should win based on their performances for WC qualifying, draw or lose that though...and finally we head into the Derby with Norn Iron which has a 0-0 draw written all over it. 

From the amount of grumblings among fans prior to this game, and more if it after. By the time the Nations League games come around their could be a very negative atmosphere. If those games go badly it will be even worse. I couldn't see O'Neill carrying on if that happens. So he must know that these friendlies are very important.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

France away should lose that, USA at home, we should win based on their performances for WC qualifying, draw or lose that though...and finally we head into the Derby with Norn Iron which has a 0-0 draw written all over it. 

From the amount of grumblings among fans prior to this game, and more if it after. By the time the Nations League games come around their could be a very negative atmosphere. If those games go badly it will be even worse. I couldn't see O'Neill carrying on if that happens. So he must know that these friendlies are very important.

Oh he will, trust me. There's more chance of me wearing a NUFC top than him willingly resigning. 

Which makes the fact the FAI had the opportunity to get rid of him for nothing when his previous contract expired all the more frustrating.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Those throw ins are beyond embarrassing. Even Coleman looked poor the other night

Coleman has a weak throw in which makes the launch up the line even more useless because it doesnt go particularly far.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 5:32pm
The choice is either the management style changes, or the management changes. It’s that simple. I feel we are sleepwalking into another Trapattoni situation where the results will be the only think that changes. It can’t be too hard for a quality international team to prepare to play against Ireland, as you can soundly work on the premise that very little football is going to be played, and the midfield will be there for a limited purpose, while the defence will be expected to take on the heavy lifting from the back, with the forwards expected to reach and hold up the ball and allow the midfield into play. Teams can be comfortable in the knowledge that a goal should be enough to see us off, and that playing th ball along the floor like Denmark did. Even teams like Georgia have sussed us out, and know that you can play football without fear of being challenged. What we currently have is almost a reversal of Jack Charlton’s pressing mechanism which worked on the basis that you applied the pressure high, and force the other team into mistakes, while hoping for a drop off, a route one, or a cross to do the rest. At the moment we seem to be relying either on route one, or mistakes, while letting the opposition come deep, and relying on the tough tackle to do the rest. But now that teams know what we are like, they will avoid playing to our strengths. It only took the Danes a weekend to suss us out, and it appears we are still playing the same system.

Edited by Het-field - 26 Mar 2018 at 5:32pm
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The choice is either the management style changes, or the management changes. It’s that simple. I feel we are sleepwalking into another Trapattoni situation where the results will be the only think that changes. It can’t be too hard for a quality international team to prepare to play against Ireland, as you can soundly work on the premise that very little football is going to be played, and the midfield will be there for a limited purpose, while the defence will be expected to take on the heavy lifting from the back, with the forwards expected to reach and hold up the ball and allow the midfield into play. Teams can be comfortable in the knowledge that a goal should be enough to see us off, and that playing th ball along the floor like Denmark did. Even teams like Georgia have sussed us out, and know that you can play football without fear of being challenged. What we currently have is almost a reversal of Jack Charlton’s pressing mechanism which worked on the basis that you applied the pressure high, and force the other team into mistakes, while hoping for a drop off, a route one, or a cross to do the rest. At the moment we seem to be relying either on route one, or mistakes, while letting the opposition come deep, and relying on the tough tackle to do the rest. But now that teams know what we are like, they will avoid playing to our strengths. It only took the Danes a weekend to suss us out, and it appears we are still playing the same system.

Spot on Clap

We are so easy to set up against. It's prehistoric stuff.........
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>
  Share Topic