You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turkey vs ROI-- 23rd March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:23am
Would it be fair to say that the only reason Declan Rice stood out is because he was the only one on the pitch who actually plays 3-5-2 with his club every week.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:44am
When was the last time we say driving runs from one of our midfielders? Or instead of taking the simple pass backwards under pressure, he turned away from his man to play a forward pass? Definitely stood out because of performance in midfield IMO. He plays in a 3-5-2, but not necessarily in the midfield, with the odd exception.

Edited by The Huntacha - 25 Mar 2018 at 9:45am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 11:37am
Could 3-5-2 / 5-2-1-2 work with our full squad available? I haven't been a fan of it in friendlies, but that could be because we've never had a full team when trying it, and because we haven't tried it enough times to perfect it.

I also don't like the fact that playing 3 centre halves rules us out from playing wingers, which are typically an important part of Irish football. 

But anyhow, with the right organisation, and the right team picked, I don't think we'd be any worse playing with a three, or five back formation. 

--------------------Randolph------------------
Coleman - Duffy - Rice - Clark - Brady 
                    Arter - McCarthy
                         Hendrick
        2 of Maguire / Long / Walters / Hogan

With Rice playing as the most central, and most advanced centre-back, we'd almost have four men in midfield while in possession. 

Arter and McCarthy could tuck in while we're in possession, allowing Coleman and Brady to tear forward like we know they can.

McCarthy actually performed in this role brilliantly for Everton in their first season under Martinez, and if he gets back to full fitness, there's no reason why he can't do a similar job for us.

As for Hendrick at 10, its obviously the most questionable call, but when you consider that Hendrick has done well for Burnley in this free role, we could try him there. It's not exactly a Wes Hoolahan style role, but he's a powerful, athletic midfielder who should be driving forward at defences, and in his best game for Ireland, which was against Sweden, he did exactly that. Hendrick isn't a disciplined or a very tactical player, so I'm not sure why we're currently trying to force him to play as a defensive midfielder. 

In this hypothetical situation, an under performing Hendrick could be swapped out for Alan Browne or Conor Hourihane. Neither of those two lads performed against Turkey, but that's because they were played out of position. Browne, Hourihane and Hendrick are very similar players, and they all perform best with little defensive, or positional  responsibility, as the most advanced of a midfield three. 

Take your pick from the four strikers we currently have available, hopefully in the near future we'll have Callum Robinson to choose from, while Will Keane and Patrick Bamford may also be viable options within the next two / three years. 

This formation would limit the game time of the likes of James McClean, but we can't be relying on him to pop up with a few goals here and there, his general play isn't good enough, and he remains a solid impact sub for me. 

On paper I don't see that team above being any weaker than our current rigid effort of 4-5-1, but this new formation would require a lot of training ground work, and if rumours are anything to go by, MON doesn't do a whole lot baring 11 v 11 games in training. 

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 12:29pm
I can't recall us ever playing well using that system and I'm not sure if our players have the tactical flexibility and in-game intelligence to really make it work.

McCarthy used that system when he first took over, that being the fashionable system at the time and the one he used at Millwall, only abandoning it after the Macedonia debacle, and we never looked comfortable using it.

The other problem is that it would almost necessitate using Rice as a centre-half when, if we learnt nothing else from the other night, it's that, for the time being at least, Rice needs to play in midfield for us.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

I can't recall us ever playing well using that system and I'm not sure if our players have the tactical flexibility and in-game intelligence to really make it work.

McCarthy used that system when he first took over, that being the fashionable system at the time and the one he used at Millwall, only abandoning it after the Macedonia debacle, and we never looked comfortable using it.

The other problem is that it would almost necessitate using Rice as a centre-half when, if we learnt nothing else from the other night, it's that, for the time being at least, Rice needs to play in midfield for us.

That's just an excuse that we let our players away with. 

Georgia and Wales both play 3-5-2 / 5-2-1-2. Regardless of Gareth Bale's influence on the Wales team, there is no real reason why Welsh footballers would be any more tactically flexible than Irish players. Especially considering that both teams select English born players who were brought through the same academies!

I'm not saying that 3-5-2 is the answer to our problems, but if we're going to try it ever again, we'd be better off trying it with a bit of structure and ambition, there's no point half-arsing things. 

I'd be willing to try Rice at centre-half if it meant that he might start giving the ball to our midfielders, as much as I highly rate Shane Duffy, he's never going to pass the ball around the back, he needs a calming influence alongside him. 

With that being said, as talented as Declan looks, we can't place too much pressure on him. He's only 19 and will undoubtedly have a few poor performances for us. 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Just watched the match, and I’ve got to say it wasn’t as bad as I feared. Not a great performance, but in terms of a first match with a new cycle of players, a lot was learned. And wasn’t that the point?

Declan Rice did more with his 20 mins in midfield than any player has done in that position for us in the last 10 years. Duffy was immense. A back three gives him space to dominate and stops him getting stranded in the channels where he can get shown up. Hogan and Maguire may be too similar to play together. Likewise Hendrick and Browne. Who-rihane is not the player we need to create things in the middle of the park. That is a vacancy that needs to be filled though. McClean: being a sound lad does not make you a good player. Long and Doyle looked like able deputies.

I think you take that team and introduce some of our better ball players ( Brady for McClean, anybody for Hourihane) and we could have won the game. Don’t forget also that we were playing a good Turkish side. Except for their number 5 who was just Okay

Duffy is a solid defender and I'm a fan of his. He was appalling on the ball the other night though. This isn't new though. Duffy is, and always will be awful on the ball. For some reason this gets overlooked by most. It's as if it is totally acceptable now to watch our players punt the ball out over the stands, or straight onto opposition defenders heads at all times. Worse again, Duffy and others do this when there is no pressure at all on them from the opposition.

If this team was being coached, which it clearly isn't, Duffy would never ever be allowed to hit a ball over 30 yards, unless its' a clearance under pressure. He is an abysmal passer of the ball. Any coach worth his salt would knock that out of Duffy straight away.

The issue with the likes of Duffy hitting passes that he simply doesn't have the skill set to do, is only one element of a totally incompetent coaching set up. There are things going on in our games in the past 12 months that if an under 10 team were doing those things, an average schoolboy coach would knock that out of players in a training session or 2. 

Why do we throw every single throw in back to the opposition? Our coaches do realise that we are actually in possession of the ball when we have a throw in, don't they? Why do we take every free kick from within 70 yards of the opposition box and punt it away to nothingness? Do our coaching staff actually think that we'll regularly score goals as we did away in Georgia, where the referee allowed one of our players to assault the keeper so the goal could be scored?

There are so many more basic issues, like our lack of ability or a simple plan to clip balls into a corner for forwards to chase, instead of punting it into the stands. Our keeper never ever playing short to build up an attack from the back. Our midfielders never ever playing quick frees. Our midfielders constantly turning their backs on the play. The most basic of basic stuff. It has now become acceptable to a lot of fans which is the saddest part.

Our performance in Turkey was shambolic and soul destroying to watch. Those hoping for some change in attitude or style of play, well that didn't last long did it. Don't be fooled by our change of formation to 3-5-2, that was just dressing over the real issues and a way for MON to show how he is adapting and changing LOL(btw what an absolutely comical attempt at playing this formation, were the coaching staff in the Turkish pubs in the build up to this game or on the training pitch?). I see the term long goodbye used above. That's exactly what this is. The next 2 years are an absolute write off. MON will pocket his money for that time and leave after a grim Euro qualifier campaign. If we aren't even going to attempt to play the sport of football in a meaningless friendly against Turkey, and with no pressure at all on us, imagine how disgusting our performances will be when the bigger games roll around.

MONs time is well and truly over. If he had a shred of dignity he would have walked post Denmark game. If the FAI had a shred of brain cells they wouldn't have given MON the new contract. In all of the years I've watched Irish football, I think we are in a far darker place than we've ever been (yes including Stans tenure) and I can see the damage of the upcoming campaign being something that will set us back plenty of years more on top of this written off campaign.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 1:30pm
Honestly, I think if our players can’t switch systems according to the needs of a game, then we should pick other players. And if O’Neill thinks that he doesn’t have to coach players at senior level (and he’s said that on several occasions) he should probably consider how crap we are at changing formation and defending set pieces
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

That's just an excuse that we let our players away with. 

Georgia and Wales both play 3-5-2 / 5-2-1-2. Regardless of Gareth Bale's influence on the Wales team, there is no real reason why Welsh footballers would be any more tactically flexible than Irish players. Especially considering that both teams select English born players who were brought through the same academies!

I'm not saying that 3-5-2 is the answer to our problems, but if we're going to try it ever again, we'd be better off trying it with a bit of structure and ambition, there's no point half-arsing things. 

I'd be willing to try Rice at centre-half if it meant that he might start giving the ball to our midfielders, as much as I highly rate Shane Duffy, he's never going to pass the ball around the back, he needs a calming influence alongside him. 

With that being said, as talented as Declan looks, we can't place too much pressure on him. He's only 19 and will undoubtedly have a few poor performances for us. 

I'd agree that international friendlies provide an opportunity to try out new systems and look at new players, and should be used as such. However, we looked totally disjointed the other night, with players looking uncomfortable and not seeming to know their roles. It's hard to make a case for this formation being something we should persist with going forward, on that showing at least.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 25 Mar 2018 at 1:55pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Just watched the match, and I’ve got to say it wasn’t as bad as I feared. Not a great performance, but in terms of a first match with a new cycle of players, a lot was learned. And wasn’t that the point?

Declan Rice did more with his 20 mins in midfield than any player has done in that position for us in the last 10 years. Duffy was immense. A back three gives him space to dominate and stops him getting stranded in the channels where he can get shown up. Hogan and Maguire may be too similar to play together. Likewise Hendrick and Browne. Who-rihane is not the player we need to create things in the middle of the park. That is a vacancy that needs to be filled though. McClean: being a sound lad does not make you a good player. Long and Doyle looked like able deputies.

I think you take that team and introduce some of our better ball players ( Brady for McClean, anybody for Hourihane) and we could have won the game. Don’t forget also that we were playing a good Turkish side. Except for their number 5 who was just Okay

Duffy is a solid defender and I'm a fan of his. He was appalling on the ball the other night though. This isn't new though. Duffy is, and always will be awful on the ball. For some reason this gets overlooked by most. It's as if it is totally acceptable now to watch our players punt the ball out over the stands, or straight onto opposition defenders heads at all times. Worse again, Duffy and others do this when there is no pressure at all on them from the opposition.

If this team was being coached, which it clearly isn't, Duffy would never ever be allowed to hit a ball over 30 yards, unless its' a clearance under pressure. He is an abysmal passer of the ball. Any coach worth his salt would knock that out of Duffy straight away.

The issue with the likes of Duffy hitting passes that he simply doesn't have the skill set to do, is only one element of a totally incompetent coaching set up. There are things going on in our games in the past 12 months that if an under 10 team were doing those things, an average schoolboy coach would knock that out of players in a training session or 2. 

Why do we throw every single throw in back to the opposition? Our coaches do realise that we are actually in possession of the ball when we have a throw in, don't they? Why do we take every free kick from within 70 yards of the opposition box and punt it away to nothingness? Do our coaching staff actually think that we'll regularly score goals as we did away in Georgia, where the referee allowed one of our players to assault the keeper so the goal could be scored?

There are so many more basic issues, like our lack of ability or a simple plan to clip balls into a corner for forwards to chase, instead of punting it into the stands. Our keeper never ever playing short to build up an attack from the back. Our midfielders never ever playing quick frees. Our midfielders constantly turning their backs on the play. The most basic of basic stuff. It has now become acceptable to a lot of fans which is the saddest part.

Our performance in Turkey was shambolic and soul destroying to watch. Those hoping for some change in attitude or style of play, well that didn't last long did it. Don't be fooled by our change of formation to 3-5-2, that was just dressing over the real issues and a way for MON to show how he is adapting and changing LOL(btw what an absolutely comical attempt at playing this formation, were the coaching staff in the Turkish pubs in the build up to this game or on the training pitch?). I see the term long goodbye used above. That's exactly what this is. The next 2 years are an absolute write off. MON will pocket his money for that time and leave after a grim Euro qualifier campaign. If we aren't even going to attempt to play the sport of football in a meaningless friendly against Turkey, and with no pressure at all on us, imagine how disgusting our performances will be when the bigger games roll around.

MONs time is well and truly over. If he had a shred of dignity he would have walked post Denmark game. If the FAI had a shred of brain cells they wouldn't have given MON the new contract. In all of the years I've watched Irish football, I think we are in a far darker place than we've ever been (yes including Stans tenure) and I can see the damage of the upcoming campaign being something that will set us back plenty of years more on top of this written off campaign.

A lot of good points. The reason our possession stats are so low in every game is that we are playing very little football and not even trying to play football. That would be fine if we were grinding out impressive results but we seem to be going backwards instead.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 4:42pm
We are a totally fear based, reductive football team. In everything we do, the first thoughts of the players is clearly not what can be gained by making a pass or taking a player on, but what can be lost if they make a mistake or their teammate makes a mistake. So most players don't move to receive a ball from their teammates 90 percent of the time. Players turn their backs on the play, in the knowledge that the ball will be hoofed 60 yards away, and that now there is no danger of conceding a goal from that passage of play. 

Under MON, we have become more and more reductive, we set out to make a game of football where nothing at all productive happens for either team. We are just hoping to wear teams down mentally like this and nick a goal from somewhere then. The problem is that any team who are patient enough, as the Danes were, will eventually tear us to shreds. We have no counter to going behind either, as we are so full of fear, so without any attacking structure to our play, that we just panic.

This is all on the coaching staff. The basic situations in a game where midfielders turn their back to play, where we take throws in and just lob them straight to the opposition (do we take 20 or so throw ins in a game on average?), all those kinds of scenarios can be rooted out on the training pitch. We are not even attempting to solve these issues.

We are in a much darker place than under Stan or Traps last campaign imo. The only hope is that MON goes well before the Euro qualifiers kick off, which is obviously highly doubtful.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 4:55pm

We are a totally fear based, reductive football team. In everything we do, the first thoughts of the players is clearly not what can be gained by making a pass or taking a player on, but what can be lost if they make a mistake or their teammate makes a mistake. So most players don't move to receive a ball from their teammates 90 percent of the time. Players turn their backs on the play, in the knowledge that the ball will be hoofed 60 yards away, and that now there is no danger of conceding a goal from that passage of play. 

Under MON, we have become more and more reductive, we set out to make a game of football where nothing at all productive happens for either team. We are just hoping to wear teams down mentally like this and nick a goal from somewhere then. The problem is that any team who are patient enough, as the Danes were, will eventually tear us to shreds. We have no counter to going behind either, as we are so full of fear, so without any attacking structure to our play, that we just panic.

This is all on the coaching staff. The basic situations in a game where midfielders turn their back to play, where we take throws in and just lob them straight to the opposition (do we take 20 or so throw ins in a game on average?), all those kinds of scenarios can be rooted out on the training pitch. We are not even attempting to solve these issues.

We are in a much darker place than under Stan or Traps last campaign imo. The only hope is that MON goes well before the Euro qualifiers kick off, which is obviously highly doubtful.

In absolute agreement with this.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:13pm

I agree, Duffy was appalling on the ball. The long ball habit of true ly baffling when we had two sub 6ft strikers on the pitch.

Duffy was immense defensively. I don’t think he should be distributing the ball from the back though, especially if we play a three with two more mobile options either side of him
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:38pm

brilliant postClap
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:25pm
Just on Duffy, I don't want to be seen to be hammering him! It's just he doesn't have the abilities to play the long passes he seems to think he can. I'm a big fan of his with us. He's a really good no nonsense defender, and if he was instructed properly by the manager about not hitting those nothing long balls consistently, his performances would be even better for us. It just seems to me that the most basic of instructions aren't given to any of our players. The management must do little to no post match analysis of games with the players do they?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:35pm
I think a lot of the problem is nobody coming short for him.
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

these are things that surely should be worked on and hammered home by the management? i could be wrong but the whole set up seems extremely sloppy and outdated
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

these are things that surely should be worked on and hammered home by the management? i could be wrong but the whole set up seems extremely sloppy and outdated

Your basic mandate as a midfielder is to look for the ball from centre halves or full backs. The fact that none of ours do suggests they are instructed not to.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:34pm
I think there's an acceptance that we will concede midfield and go long when we have possession. Browne, Hourihane, and Hendrick essentially played as 3 extra defenders when we were out of possession, and as bypassed passengers when we did have it. It's hard to see that as anything other than the directions they are given.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>
  Share Topic