You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turkey vs ROI-- 23rd March

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyGawks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:46pm
Did Roy Keane travel? Didnt see him on the bench
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

We should have had the f**king balls to tell O'Neill you know what, that contract agreement, we've changed our mind. It should have happened after Denmark. It could have happened when Stoke and Everton came knocking. But no, the safe option, much like what we see on the pitch

We have more than enough new faces, a mix of talent and potential, to build a decent squad going forward. O'Neill is not the man to do that. Tonights display proves that.

O'Neill has done great, he's overseen some great games and produced marvellous results but there is nothing to suggest he will do the same next campaign, never mind better.

Completely agree with all of this. 

The minimum you'd expect from an Ireland side, is for us to be well-drilled, meaning we're very well organized, clinical in our minority of possession, able to defend set pieces and more importantly, able to regularly threaten from our own frees and corners.

At the moment, we are literally the opposite. We've conceded two goals from corners in our last two games. You'll hear that the personnel / formation change will make it difficult for us to defend such chances, I'd argue that a team like ourselves should be so well drilled on how to defend corners and frees, that it shouldn't matter who starts, or what formation we play. Especially when we're playing five at the back, if anything it should even easier to defend a corner with an extra centre-half against Turkey's loan striker.  

We are often told that Ireland are a better team than the sum of our parts. During the Euro's this rang through at times, but ever since then we've played well below what we're capable of.

Obviously we do not possess a heap of quality players, but neither do most international teams outside the World's top 20. If you look at a decent Championship side, or a lower Premier League team like Brighton, you'll see that most of the players are comfortable in possession, are aware of their roles, and are well disciplined, is it too much to demand that we could at least try to play similarly to teams that possess a similar quality of player to ourselves? 

Despite having some of the Championships best players in Maguire, Hourihane, Doherty and Browne and a sprinkling of decent Premier League standard players like Coleman, Brady, Duffy, Rice and Arter, we can't pass the ball more than five times in succession - yet the exact same players, playing for a similar standard club side, look comfortable in possession. It's actually mind boggling.

We've one of the Premier League's best right-backs in Seamus Coleman, I know tonight was his first game back for us, but he looked terrified in possession. Every time he got the ball on the right he was isolated, and turned backwards. While I admire Coleman as a player, I don't think we've ever seen him play to his full ability for Ireland, and I don't think its his fault. In the past 2/3 seasons I've seen Coleman individually tear top Premier League teams' new ones, yet when he plays for us, he rarely gets past the half-way line more than three times per game.

I hated watching us under Trap, he was awful towards the end of his reign, but at least he had the fundamentals right. 

MON arguably believes in this Irish team's footballing ability even less than Trap did, so you'd think that he might at least organize the team in a way that reflected that. Did we often concede from a set-piece under Trap? (I think Slovakia scored one corner against us) 

People will point to results like Cardiff and Vienna as a counter argument, and while Vienna was for the most part a decent performance, our result in Cardiff was down to Gareth Bale's absence, and Joe Allen's injury during the game.

Beating Wales without Bale and Allen is not performing above the sum of our parts. It's literally two teams made up of average Premier League, and decent Championship players, going head to head in a fiery derby. Thankfully our players were tougher than the Welsh on the night. In reality, the sheer physicality of players like Duffy, McClean, Hendrick and Meyler was the difference between the two sides. If Allen and Bale played, the same level of performance would have seen us lose that game.

The first leg in Copenhagen was a carbon copy of Cardiff, minus the goal. Beat the sh*t out of the Danes for 90 minutes, and luckily for us, the poor Danes who were expecting a game of football actually tried to play us at our own game.

Then the Dublin leg comes around, and the game plan is the same, except genius MON gets lucky that we manage to jammy one in from a set piece, delighted with an early goal, he proceeds to encourage his team to beat the sh*t out of Denmark for the rest of the game.  

Except unlike the Welsh, the Danes didn't let the blood rush to their heads, and managed to recover from their nightmare start, the Danes actually proceeded to play a bit of football with their brains rather than their bodies, and hey presto we started gifting them goals left right and centre.

Whats all of the above got to do with tonight's friendly you might ask? 

Well tonight just confirmed that O'Neill is as lazy as ever. He had a week to try and instill a few ideas into the players. But, we're still leaking goals from quick corner kicks, we're still not passing the ball for more than five combinations, despite more attacking players being on the pitch, and we're still not pressing the opposition in midfield.

Now the team faces another lengthy spell ahead of the next international game, which is a poorly timed friendly against the high flying French who will put us to the sword on the way to the World Cup.

Tonight was a chance to try something new, and to instill some confidence, the result really wouldn't of mattered if we'd had seen something different, but we saw nothing. The fact that we lost playing the same old way, with a young, new team, is demoralizing, and does not bode well for the future.

Excellent post
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:00am
How many new season tickets were sold on the back of that performance?

Usual dire stuff from the dinosaur and his motley crew. Nothing has changed from 4 months ago. We play crap, the game is lost, and he says he is very happy with it.

The Euro qualifiers are just one year away.
niallmc View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niallmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

What the fans want - about 8 new faces with 4 new caps

What the fans will get - about 4 new faces with 2 new caps

Will said. Apart from being a mediocore performance, still glad Rice got to make a good impact
That lad has a bright future in The Ireland squad.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 12:05pm
Worthwhile exercise last night but very poor performance overall, hardly surprising though that things will stay the same under MON, once the decision was made to keep him we knew there wouldn't be a radical overhaul to how we play unfortunately. It really is crazy how uncomfortable we look on the ball, do we have any players any more who want to get on the ball in midfield? 

I was calling for a 3-5-2 to be tried out but after last night I'm less convinced, it arguably made us even less threatening going forward and didn't make us any more solid at the back and most of the players looked uncomfortable playing in it. Rice looked a class act and looks as if he could strengthen the first eleven immediately. Most of the other new faces struggled so will probably need more time to adjust. In the 3 or 4 times that Hourihane has played for us I cannot see what he offers or what type of midfielder he is, I would hope he can bring his club form to international level in some way but he has not seized any of his opportunities yet. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

We should have had the f**king balls to tell O'Neill you know what, that contract agreement, we've changed our mind. It should have happened after Denmark. It could have happened when Stoke and Everton came knocking. But no, the safe option, much like what we see on the pitch

We have more than enough new faces, a mix of talent and potential, to build a decent squad going forward. O'Neill is not the man to do that. Tonights display proves that.

O'Neill has done great, he's overseen some great games and produced marvellous results but there is nothing to suggest he will do the same next campaign, never mind better.

Completely agree with all of this. 

The minimum you'd expect from an Ireland side, is for us to be well-drilled, meaning we're very well organized, clinical in our minority of possession, able to defend set pieces and more importantly, able to regularly threaten from our own frees and corners.

At the moment, we are literally the opposite. We've conceded two goals from corners in our last two games. You'll hear that the personnel / formation change will make it difficult for us to defend such chances, I'd argue that a team like ourselves should be so well drilled on how to defend corners and frees, that it shouldn't matter who starts, or what formation we play. Especially when we're playing five at the back, if anything it should even easier to defend a corner with an extra centre-half against Turkey's loan striker.  

We are often told that Ireland are a better team than the sum of our parts. During the Euro's this rang through at times, but ever since then we've played well below what we're capable of.

Obviously we do not possess a heap of quality players, but neither do most international teams outside the World's top 20. If you look at a decent Championship side, or a lower Premier League team like Brighton, you'll see that most of the players are comfortable in possession, are aware of their roles, and are well disciplined, is it too much to demand that we could at least try to play similarly to teams that possess a similar quality of player to ourselves? 

Despite having some of the Championships best players in Maguire, Hourihane, Doherty and Browne and a sprinkling of decent Premier League standard players like Coleman, Brady, Duffy, Rice and Arter, we can't pass the ball more than five times in succession - yet the exact same players, playing for a similar standard club side, look comfortable in possession. It's actually mind boggling.

We've one of the Premier League's best right-backs in Seamus Coleman, I know tonight was his first game back for us, but he looked terrified in possession. Every time he got the ball on the right he was isolated, and turned backwards. While I admire Coleman as a player, I don't think we've ever seen him play to his full ability for Ireland, and I don't think its his fault. In the past 2/3 seasons I've seen Coleman individually tear top Premier League teams' new ones, yet when he plays for us, he rarely gets past the half-way line more than three times per game.

I hated watching us under Trap, he was awful towards the end of his reign, but at least he had the fundamentals right. 

MON arguably believes in this Irish team's footballing ability even less than Trap did, so you'd think that he might at least organize the team in a way that reflected that. Did we often concede from a set-piece under Trap? (I think Slovakia scored one corner against us) 

People will point to results like Cardiff and Vienna as a counter argument, and while Vienna was for the most part a decent performance, our result in Cardiff was down to Gareth Bale's absence, and Joe Allen's injury during the game.

Beating Wales without Bale and Allen is not performing above the sum of our parts. It's literally two teams made up of average Premier League, and decent Championship players, going head to head in a fiery derby. Thankfully our players were tougher than the Welsh on the night. In reality, the sheer physicality of players like Duffy, McClean, Hendrick and Meyler was the difference between the two sides. If Allen and Bale played, the same level of performance would have seen us lose that game.

The first leg in Copenhagen was a carbon copy of Cardiff, minus the goal. Beat the sh*t out of the Danes for 90 minutes, and luckily for us, the poor Danes who were expecting a game of football actually tried to play us at our own game.

Then the Dublin leg comes around, and the game plan is the same, except genius MON gets lucky that we manage to jammy one in from a set piece, delighted with an early goal, he proceeds to encourage his team to beat the sh*t out of Denmark for the rest of the game.  

Except unlike the Welsh, the Danes didn't let the blood rush to their heads, and managed to recover from their nightmare start, the Danes actually proceeded to play a bit of football with their brains rather than their bodies, and hey presto we started gifting them goals left right and centre.

Whats all of the above got to do with tonight's friendly you might ask? 

Well tonight just confirmed that O'Neill is as lazy as ever. He had a week to try and instill a few ideas into the players. But, we're still leaking goals from quick corner kicks, we're still not passing the ball for more than five combinations, despite more attacking players being on the pitch, and we're still not pressing the opposition in midfield.

Now the team faces another lengthy spell ahead of the next international game, which is a poorly timed friendly against the high flying French who will put us to the sword on the way to the World Cup.

Tonight was a chance to try something new, and to instill some confidence, the result really wouldn't of mattered if we'd had seen something different, but we saw nothing. The fact that we lost playing the same old way, with a young, new team, is demoralizing, and does not bode well for the future.

Very well put and spot on.

I have no confidence in the current set up progressing us.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 1:37pm
We seem to have gone backwards in the last 12 months. Every performance is a mediocre one, with very little good football on display and we're not even grinding out good results.
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:19pm
Has an awful feel of Traps last campaign about the current situation.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

In short, yes. It has been that way since Denmark, unfortunately. I will always like MON, I will respect what he did with us, but, as with certain relationships we all have in life, the damage is irreparable.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

In short, yes. It has been that way since Denmark, unfortunately. I will always like MON, I will respect what he did with us, but, as with certain relationships we all have in life, the damage is irreparable.

Agreed
One campaign too many.
Mon/Trap/Mick all did the same.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 24 Mar 2018 at 2:41pm

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:43pm
What was the point in McClean playing 90 mins last night?
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:49pm
We're in the long goodbye phase at the moment. It's over but nobody will admit it.

We have another few performances to endure though. If France are up for it, it could be very bad. And the US may deliver the coup de grace.

The best thing is that a few new players got a cap. However we really need to get someone in to put an end to the drift.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Agreed
One campaign too many.
Mon/Trap/Mick all did the same.
And Jack.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 5:15pm
Just watched the match, and I’ve got to say it wasn’t as bad as I feared. Not a great performance, but in terms of a first match with a new cycle of players, a lot was learned. And wasn’t that the point?

Declan Rice did more with his 20 mins in midfield than any player has done in that position for us in the last 10 years. Duffy was immense. A back three gives him space to dominate and stops him getting stranded in the channels where he can get shown up. Hogan and Maguire may be too similar to play together. Likewise Hendrick and Browne. Who-rihane is not the player we need to create things in the middle of the park. That is a vacancy that needs to be filled though. McClean: being a sound lad does not make you a good player. Long and Doyle looked like able deputies.

I think you take that team and introduce some of our better ball players ( Brady for McClean, anybody for Hourihane) and we could have won the game. Don’t forget also that we were playing a good Turkish side. Except for their number 5 who was just Okay

Edited by DeclanDaly - 24 Mar 2018 at 5:16pm
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 5:38pm
More burnt toast than Turkish delight. As much as I admire Duffys attitude and commitment to defending he is absolutely dreadful with the ball, look back to how turkey got possession of the ball for build up to the corner for their goal. Duffy swung at a ball straight to a turkish player in the style a still drunk fella playing AUL div 2 on a Sunday morning. It has been noticeable that opposition teams are happy to let Duffy have the ball knowing well he'll give it straight back to them.Just using him as one example of the overall ineptitude of the team. Don't get me started on McClean....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 6:41pm
Was optimistic before the game that there would be some change but unfortunately not. Really need to start getting Hourihane and Hendrick playing well. Great to see Rice doing well.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:13pm
Hourihane needs to impress on his next opportunity, has been poor in any chance he's got in friendlies.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 4:24am

I was saying the same last night. It's death by a thousand cuts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
  Share Topic