FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNorth of Ireland (h) - November 15th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 60>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 2:14pm
The singing of the national anthem should be the only judgement on whether a player wants to play for the country or not. Rooney, Zidane, Platini, every single Spanish player, all of them should have been dropped and replaced by an inferior footballer who likes a sing song.
Sponsored Links

Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The singing of the national anthem should be the only judgement on whether a player wants to play for the country or not. Rooney, Zidane, Platini, every single Spanish player, all of them should have been dropped and replaced by an inferior footballer who likes a sing song.

you know what I mean. This lot are a spineless bunch. Surely there's one of them can ask MON what in the f**k they're supposed to be doing? I suppose it's just modern footballers really. Dopey uneducated f*ckers living in a bubble. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

you know what I mean. This lot are a spineless bunch. Surely there's one of them can ask MON what in the f**k they're supposed to be doing? I suppose it's just modern footballers really. Dopey uneducated f*ckers living in a bubble. 

The NI players seem to know what they're doing. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 2:20pm
Or they are just a mediocre bunch, lacking any sort of midfield, creativity and goal scorer, playing under a manager who possibly wants a payoff more than a playoff or, even worse, has been caught up with by time.

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 2:21pm
The fairweather support is really hard to take, but who can blame them for getting behind what is a great rubgy team? We haven’t played entertaining football for about 15 years, aside from the odd moment, and as a whole the football culture has become so detached from the experience of the common man. Rugby players live and work in Ireland, so there is that organic connection with the public.

Watched this recently, and could have wept:

“We’re on our way to Boston lads! Yabbalabbalooool!”

Would Jack not take the job again?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

We haven’t played entertaining football for about 15 years, aside from the odd moment, and as a whole the football culture has become so detached from the experience of the common man. 

Not for the league of Ireland. I can't understand why more people, in Dublin anyway, don't go and see their nearest team if they like football. It's an excuse to get p*ssed and the football is WAY better than what you see in Lansdowne (from us). 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 2:31pm
Another pearler at the weekend:...By the time the "proper games start in March".

These are proper games you gombeen. Doesn't understand that these games count towards qualification. Basic stuff.

It's clear he won't be sacked after Aarhus. If he wasn't going to be sacked after the 1-5, he's not going to be before the "proper games start". 

The more successful sides in the Nations League, i.e. League A group winners, will have a 5 team qualifying group next year with just 8 games. Maybe he'll wake up to where we stand in 2 weeks time when the draw is made, and we're stuck in our usual type of group where 4/5 teams can realistically finish top 2 in the group. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

We haven’t played entertaining football for about 15 years, aside from the odd moment, and as a whole the football culture has become so detached from the experience of the common man. 

Not for the league of Ireland. I can't understand why more people, in Dublin anyway, don't go and see their nearest team if they like football. It's an excuse to get p*ssed and the football is WAY better than what you see in Lansdowne (from us). 

I agree, i was just referring to the majority of the national side. Better marketing and a bit of financial support would be great. There’s actually a huge opportunity for the LoI if the FAI can pull its finger out
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 2:50pm

Or they are just a mediocre bunch, lacking any sort of midfield, creativity and goal scorer, playing under a manager who possibly wants a payoff more than a playoff or, even worse, has been caught up with by time.

The squad is okay I'd say, probably as good as NI and Scotland at least. The problem is a management duo who haven't a clue how to coach a team or set them up. The stats are shocking : less than 40% possession and virtually no chances created in every game, not even at home.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 3:10pm
In terms of overall ability you're probably right, certainly if you were to assign each squad member a star rating and add them up, unfortunately football doesn't work like that.
Scotland are terrible in defence and a bit toothless up front, but they have a reasonable midfield and technically superior creative players. Their two best players are both left-backs, which it's a bit unfortunate for them. We are both at the same level, they have just been reinvigorated by playing in a group they had a genuine shot at winning. You also have to remember that their last NL game was considered the worst performance in their history. They certainly have more reasons to be upbeat, but they too have a poor manager past his sell by date, albeit he at least has an interest. They beat a truly awful Albania last night, helped by a ridiculous red card and a soft penalty. When we drop down to their level and get an interested manager, we will probably get similar results.
Northern Ireland did look better than us, the main difference being they had a competent midfielder who wanted to get hold of the ball and make those around them tick. That is something we desperately need.They also struggled to score again and, like us, I doubt they will be at the Euros, will probably lose their MON and reliant on two competent and committed midfielders. Their under 21 results are something for them to be confident about, but I have a feeling this 'golden age' is coming to an end for them.
We are, overall, three very average teams with mediocre players, Scotland having the most talented group technically, but severely lacking a decent central defender. They are the only ones with a hope of playing in the Euros.
Green rebel View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 3:13pm
I read that to ,doesn't he realized its proper money we are paying to go up and watch that sh*te for the last 12 months
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 3:17pm
There's little between Ireland, NI, Scotland, and Wales in terms of the overall talent available to them. We're all largely average. Wales have the outstanding player but in terms of overall resources they lag with NI behind ourselves and Scotland - who actually have sizeable player pools. Any real differences between the sides are going to come down to set up, or perhaps an individual piece of brilliance from Bale in Wales' case. What is beyond doubt is that we are currently the most disorganised side, and obviously that will continue to hurt us until it is rectified.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 3:20pm
Wales midfield of Ramsay, Allen and Brooks is light years ahead of the best of the other three teams combined. Throw in Bale and the young players coming through and you have a decent team. The one thing all four have in common is the lack of a decent or consistent striker.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 3:27pm
If you were to rank it in terms of squad depth, it would probably be something along the lines of:
1. Ireland/Scotland
2. Wales
3. NI

In terms of top talent:
1. Wales
2. Ireland
3. Scotland
4. NI

The fact that NI are last in both facets yet can outplay us puts paid to O'Neill's excuse that "we don't have the players". The truth is that none of us really "have the players", we're all lacking in certain departments, yet with the right management those deficiencies can be overcome and allow you to maximise your potential.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 3:36pm
In terms of teams playing on the pitch we are fourth. What top talent we have has left me scratching my head? Duffy and Coleman.
Wales are a long way ahead of the others, even with the obvious gaps in their squad. Having a better sixth choice central defender isn't much to brag about.

What we don't have, where MON is right, is that we don't have a midfielder capable of the basics, certainly nobody has shown it anyway. Where he is letting us down is we should be better organised, but we can't play without a midfielder and we can't create without a lineman or forward.

Edited by pre Madonna - 18 Nov 2018 at 3:39pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

If you were to rank it in terms of squad depth, it would probably be something along the lines of:
1. Ireland/Scotland
2. Wales
3. NI

In terms of top talent:
1. Wales
2. Ireland
3. Scotland
4. NI

The fact that NI are last in both facets yet can outplay us puts paid to O'Neill's excuse that "we don't have the players". The truth is that none of us really "have the players", we're all lacking in certain departments, yet with the right management those deficiencies can be overcome and allow you to maximise your potential.

Yeah, I’d agree with all that. O’Neill’s inability to coach and get the best out of what he actually has, rather than moan about what he doesn’t have, is the most frustrating part of his tenure. Trap was frustrating, but you could never say he wasn’t giving clear instruction and guidance.

O’Neill is just rolling the dice at this stage, hoping that something sticks, because he’s totally exhausted his coaching ability. Literally playing half a team out of position to accommodate a formation that doesn’t work is the sign of a desperate man.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 3:50pm
But who do we have that's good? Brady and Hendrick aren't turning out to be much are they? Davis ran the show the other night and we've no one near as good as him in midfield. The likes of the little Cork City striker with the stupid haircut who's name escapes me hasn't done anything at this level either. 
From watching these players, they can't control a football or pass the ball. I can't see another manager changing that any time soon. 
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 3:53pm
Wales are a long way ahead of us even taking Bale out of the picture ....they have alot of good young players come through for their full team, most are operating at top end Championship level but when compared to what we have in the likes of O'Dowda and Robinson they are streets ahead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 60>
  Share Topic