You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VAR sytem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 72>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

One of the conditions is that neither players nor managers can call for the VAR to influence the ref.
The manager can be sent to the stands or the player can be yellow carded.

I don't know why they didn't introduce the yellow card to stop players making VAR squares during this tournament. I suppose it's a work in progress.

Kevin Doyle was making this point about it's introduction in the MLS. Apparently they made it a cautionable offence to make the VAR gesture towards the ref and enforced the rule rigorously during the first few weeks of its implementation. He claims that sorted the issue and within a few games no-one was hounding the ref looking for VAR reviews.

As far as I can see that's one of the things that went wrong last night. The ref was hounded on every call.
Sponsored Links

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

So you don't want the game stopped for a review of potential red cards?
Where do you draw the line? You cant be stopping it constantly to review everything that happens in a game or it'll turn into American Football. There has to be some human element remaining, I'm not sure where that line is though
Some people just deserve a slap
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:44am
Just go and design a Robotic Referee who wont make mistakes. This will work perfectly NOT !

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Where do you draw the line? You cant be stopping it constantly to review everything that happens in a game or it'll turn into American Football. There has to be some human element remaining, I'm not sure where that line is though

The game is monitored by other referee's that advise the ref when to stop it. The ref isn't stopping the game every time he feels like it.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:59am

The game is monitored by other referee's that advise the ref when to stop it. The ref isn't stopping the game every time he feels like it.
I know how it works, what I'm saying is they shouldn't be stopping it for everything which is what they seem to be doing

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 11:16am

I know how it works, what I'm saying is they shouldn't be stopping it for everything which is what they seem to be doing

But it's not being stopped for everything, it's being stopped for game changing or potential game changing incidents. Saying it's being used to stop everything is a very weak excuse to not like it.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 11:39am

But it's not being stopped for everything, it's being stopped for game changing or potential game changing incidents. Saying it's being used to stop everything is a very weak excuse to not like it.

Genuinely think that they need to mic up the refs and the var officials so that people can hear what they're saying. Not a rugby fan but they have that right. When VAR works it's good but the inconsistency is maddening.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

One of the conditions is that neither players nor managers can call for the VAR to influence the ref.
The manager can be sent to the stands or the player can be yellow carded.

I don't know why they didn't introduce the yellow card to stop players making VAR squares during this tournament. I suppose it's a work in progress.

Kevin Doyle was making this point about it's introduction in the MLS. Apparently they made it a cautionable offence to make the VAR gesture towards the ref and enforced the rule rigorously during the first few weeks of its implementation. He claims that sorted the issue and within a few games no-one was hounding the ref looking for VAR reviews.

As far as I can see that's one of the things that went wrong last night. The ref was hounded on every call.

Yep.  This cannot go on. A weak ref, is still a weak ref no matter what VAR is saying in his ear. A good ref wont take any sh*t and will dismiss payers with as many yellow cards as necessary to get the message across that he cannot be hounded. I can see a FIFA review making this a top priority.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:35pm
Every incident is reviewed. One VAR screen has 16 different camera angles on it, to review an incident at any one time. The game is stopped just a handful of times at most, so they try to stay out of it as much as possible.

The Iran penalty call had a second round place on the line, or alternatively elimination from the tournament for another 4 years. Jobs and livelihoods  for the countries concerned may also be subject to the refs decision. So the decision must be correct. If it takes a couple of minutes longer to make it that's fine. We must have justice on a football pitch.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:36pm
69er, spot on.  Was watching the Queensland v NSW game on Sunday morning, a three game annual series they play there, unmissable and absolutely massive in Australia.

VAR was used several times in huge decisions, the ref was mic'd up to the booth and the fans/TV audience could hear every word.  There is no room then for accuasations of non-transparent decisions or refs being told what decision to make (ie to make sure Ronaldo wasn't given a red, or to award Iran the peno cos they were denied one earlier).

I believe VAR has ensured most of the correct decisions have been made, but it should be 100%.  The decision not to do it for when Mitrovic was shoved scrum-like by Schar and Lichsteiner was the worst call I've seen in years, horrendous.

Given it's the first time it's been used at a major tournament, it needs a good bit of tweaking but the fundamental idea of it is sound, ie correct decisions are being made.  Fook this sh*te "ah but the emotion is being taken out of it", I'd far sooner have seen the correct decision being made in Paris in 2009 than having nine years of now calling that coont a coont.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

69er, spot on.  Was watching the Queensland v NSW game on Sunday morning, a three game annual series they play there, unmissable and absolutely massive in Australia.

VAR was used several times in huge decisions, the ref was mic'd up to the booth and the fans/TV audience could hear every word.  There is no room then for accuasations of non-transparent decisions or refs being told what decision to make (ie to make sure Ronaldo wasn't given a red, or to award Iran the peno cos they were denied one earlier).

I believe VAR has ensured most of the correct decisions have been made, but it should be 100%.  The decision not to do it for when Mitrovic was shoved scrum-like by Schar and Lichsteiner was the worst call I've seen in years, horrendous.

Given it's the first time it's been used at a major tournament, it needs a good bit of tweaking but the fundamental idea of it is sound, ie correct decisions are being made.  Fook this sh*te "ah but the emotion is being taken out of it", I'd far sooner have seen the correct decision being made in Paris in 2009 than having nine years of now calling that coont a coont.

Assuming the technology was subsidised or whatever would you be happy to see VAR in Tallaght, or even for FIFA qualifying matches involving Ireland? Just curious.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:56pm

I didn't say I didn't like it, I said I felt it was been used too often. It's not an excuse, its how I feel. Not arguing a point, just stating how I feel about it
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 1:06pm
Imo the decision should be taken away from the ref and full responsibility given to the VAR team. Anyone who asks for a review should be booked and anyone hounding the ref should be booked too. Play doesn't stop until the VAR team advise the ref that a decision should be changed. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Assuming the technology was subsidised or whatever would you be happy to see VAR in Tallaght, or even for FIFA qualifying matches involving Ireland? Just curious.

Yes, 100%.

Agree Saint Tom also.  Good points.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Genuinely think that they need to mic up the refs and the var officials so that people can hear what they're saying. Not a rugby fan but they have that right. When VAR works it's good but the inconsistency is maddening.
What language would they use? AFAIK, Rugby uses English most of time during international club/country games.  
Are the crew in Moscow all speaking in the one language? Is there an interpreter? The refs are from all differing nations with various languages as their first one.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 5:02pm
English is the official language of FIFA, and it's mandatory for referees. At international tournaments, it's the best way for them to communicate effectively.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 9:26pm
21 Peno’s so far in this WC.
Do you think the refs have been encouraged to give more?

Only 13 in the last WC.
2002 had the previous record - 18

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 9:51pm
I fear the introduction of VAR will result in an increase in the number of head injuries in the game. If VAR eliminates the grabbing and shoving at corners by awarding penalties,  i can see a big increase in collisions, in fact I can see some reckless defenders deliberately heading opponents to discourage them from trying to score. A loaf in the back of the head or cheekbone might make a forward think twice about going for the ball.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 72>
  Share Topic