Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=56102
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 6:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: VAR sytem
Posted By: Hans Moleman
Subject: VAR sytem
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:02pm
No doubt this will be a massive talking point in the next few years. Might as well have it's own thread.

The Bundesliga and Serie A already use it I think? Has the World Cup for 2018 definitively said they are using it?

I'm massively in favour of this system, but there are still plenty of issues around it that I think could be hugely improved on.

- The length of time taken to come to a definite decision. This needs to be as quick as possible. Whether that involves the VAR himself making the decision (which will probably never happen), a screen in the stadium showing the replay would speed things up hugely (again the football authorities probably don't want this to ever happen as the fans will get too excited lets say LOL).  I'm not a fan at all of the small screen on the side of the pitch, I've seen them do that in a Serie A game a couple of months ago as well. It seems to takes too long to sort it out this way.

- What exactly falls under the remit of the VAR. If there's a foul on the pitch that is a clear red, but the ref on the pitch only issues a yellow or misses it altogether, is the VAR allowed step in? 

- the offside scenario is a massive plus here. It needs to be more of a black and white scenario in the rules around offsides. At least this will help as to see a replay allows better interpretation of interference etc and also obviously the clear offside line itself.

- the challenges scenario. Should managers have a certain amount of challenges in a game? Not too sure about that one myself, if a team is getting shafted by an incompetent ref 10 times in a game should they only be only to challenge him 3 times or something?

Massively in favour of this myself. Really hope it becomes common place at all top levels of the game. Really hope they smooth it out in time as well though and fans barely notice it most of the time. 

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:05pm
Paris 2009 always springs to mind when I hear people advocating against VAR.

Length of time is an issue alright but I think once it's up and running on a regular basis these issues will iron themsleves out

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Paris 2009 always springs to mind when I hear people advocating against VAR.

Length of time is an issue alright but I think once it's up and running on a regular basis these issues will iron themsleves out

Why Denis! Why Cry Cry Cry

Imo, there is no real reason to be against VAR. Blatters auld nonsense about everyone wanting to talk about referees and decisions that went against/for your team was exactly that, nonsense. People want to talk about football, not referees. 

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:20pm
there should be a video ref to assist on it. for a ref to run over to a monitor and review when he's got 000s of fans and potentially players and staff, shouting at him, isn't going to speed up the process nor help him/her make the correct decision.

I don't think teams should get more than 1 referral, max 1 per half, and not for it to be carried over to 2nd half if not used. mistakes are made by not only officials, but by players too, so to put such severe pressure on refs to get every decision correct isn't going to work. there is no way to eradicate mistakes completely, and to add multiple stoppages to the game will turn it into NFL.
limiting the amount of referrals a team gets gives it more value and therefore keep the use of the referral to meaningful times.

other sports - cricket, rugby, tennis, field hockey. all of these have working solutions to VAR which could be adapted in some sort of way. I think the two most likely to help is rugby and field hockey. both of these sports use an additional video ref. unfortunately, in rugby, it is used excessively (refs can't make big decisions by themselves anymore). field hockey, it seems to be used infrequently and only at major tournaments, but each team either gets 1 referral per match/half. if decision is upheld, referral is lost, but referral is kept if decision was wrong

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

there should be a video ref to assist on it. for a ref to run over to a monitor and review when he's got 000s of fans and potentially players and staff, shouting at him, isn't going to speed up the process nor help him/her make the correct decision.

Breaking news, this is already in place. 

For example on Saturday - Craig Pawson was the on-field referee, Andre Marriner was the VAR ref. And the pair of em still f**ked it up.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:25pm
There are replays within seconds on every incident. I think the game should just run as normal and a VAR sitting up in the stands then speaks to the ref via his earpiece to tell him if he's made any glaring errors.

It should be restricted to penalty decisions, and disallowed goals, with maybe the potential to extend it to bad tackles that aren't properly punished. If the situation is black or white, it should be resolved within seconds. The only delay should be on decisions falling into the grey area. In this case there is a stoppage in play, the ref goes to the sideline to review and communicate with the VAR and then their decision is relayed on the big screen.

Players and goalkeepers will have to be instructed to play until the ball goes dead even when the offside flag goes up though.  

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:28pm
I think they have overcomplicated it.  There is a fourth official watching the game with a monitor, have him wired to the ref and when there has been a monumental mistake, a la Henry, tell him he has f**ked up. Simple.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:30pm
Did they f*ck up at the weekend? I would have said that they got all the decisions almost right did they not? The big issue for me was the delays were comical, especially on the penalty decision.

On Alihaus points about referrals etc. and other sports use. I think there's a lot in rugbys way of using it now that is good. There is regular chat back and forth between VAR and on field which helps imo. The long wait for definitive decisions in rugby around tries etc, is embarrassing though and half the time seems to be done almost for the fans, so the excitement builds for the fans on the big screen in stadiums.

One of the big ones for me is, will linesmen now be told to err on the side of caution and not put the flag up unless 100 percent certain a player is offside. This should be the case as obviously once the whistle goes when the flag goes up, there's no way of getting that chance back. That seems small, but they are huge interpretations of the system in the grand scheme of things.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:32pm
Course they did. It took 4 minutes for 2 people to say either yes or no on 1 decision. For a technology which is introduced that downtime is minimal that's a colossal f**kup. It don't matter whether the decision was right or wrong, a camera in the sky can spot that. I thought everyone established this after the match but there's always one.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think they have overcomplicated it.  There is a fourth official watching the game with a monitor, have him wired to the ref and when there has been a monumental mistake, a la Henry, tell him he has f**ked up. Simple.

I think if you are going to go to the trouble of doing that, you might as well include plenty of other decisions. Issues around red cards, offsides, penalties etc. It's just a case of not stopping for 3-4 minutes every time that the decision has to be made.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Course they did. It took 4 minutes for 2 people to say either yes or no on 1 decision. For a technology which is introduced that downtime is minimal that's a colossal f**kup. It don't matter whether the decision was right or wrong, a camera in the sky can spot that. I thought everyone established this after the match but there's always one.

That aimed at me LOL Did I not say exactly what you said in your post? As in they got the decisions right, but the delays were comical. This forum is mental LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:41pm
Well yeah there shouldn't even be a debate about Saturday, it was so badly handled they stopped the game for a VAR decision which saw 6 WBA players offside + a foul on the keeper from the attacker. 
You don't need VAR for that, Stevie Wonder would of been able to make them decisions for himself.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

I think if you are going to go to the trouble of doing that, you might as well include plenty of other decisions. Issues around red cards, offsides, penalties etc. It's just a case of not stopping for 3-4 minutes every time that the decision has to be made.
But the problem with so many of these decisions  is interpretation. For example, I don't think that the penalty decision was correct in the Liverpool game and it seems opinions are divided, even just on here.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:54pm
Some come down to interpretation, no doubt about that. For me that was a definite penalty. I know others disagree. I think anything that can help the on pitch ref make the correct decisions as often as possible is to be welcomed. The key is not to make a sh*t show of the whole game as a result of VAR with delays.

While I agree with there being interpretation involved in refereeing, most stuff is black and white imo. If VAR was involved in City Cardiff and dangerous play was within it's remit, there are hardly any refs who don't give a red for the foul on Sane. It's a blatant red and if things like that can be punished more you'll see less of them in the game. I don't think just because interpretation of the rules is involved in making such decisions, that a VAR system won't help.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:01pm

Some come down to interpretation, no doubt about that. For me that was a definite penalty. I know others disagree. I think anything that can help the on pitch ref make the correct decisions as often as possible is to be welcomed. The key is not to make a sh*t show of the whole game as a result of VAR with delays.

While I agree with there being interpretation involved in refereeing, most stuff is black and white imo. If VAR was involved in City Cardiff and dangerous play was within it's remit, there are hardly any refs who don't give a red for the foul on Sane. It's a blatant red and if things like that can be punished more you'll see less of them in the game. I don't think just because interpretation of the rules is involved in making such decisions, that a VAR system won't help.
But I think that would come under the remit of what I previously mentioned. A fourth official with a monitor spots a blatant red-card, the referee doesn't. A simple word in his ear solves everything. In this instance there wouldn't even be a stoppage of play, just a simple change in card colour and the matter is resolved.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Breaking news, this is already in place. 

For example on Saturday - Craig Pawson was the on-field referee, Andre Marriner was the VAR ref. And the pair of em still f**ked it up.

unfortunately, I was in the French alps making use of the snow conditions on Saturday, and not watching the west brom cup! but if that's the case, then it comes down to interpretation. two lads might have different opinions at the time and so can lead to delays. however, if the onus is on the video ref only, it should be quicker

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:08pm

But I think that would come under the remit of what I previously mentioned. A fourth official with a monitor spots a blatant red-card, the referee doesn't. A simple word in his ear solves everything. In this instance there wouldn't even be a stoppage of play, just a simple change in card colour and the matter is resolved.

no way would that work!! would cause far more issues such as video ref having a bet on a red card to happen etc.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:08pm
The fourth official is the biggest sham in football. They are pointless. I agree, that would be the right scenario to have, but I don't think they will ever have a video ref down on the touchline basically. They would end up taking dogs abuse non stop if they are within touching distance of the managers. Hence why they have the VAR in a truck somewhere in Siberia or somewhere  LOL

-------------

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:09pm
Well if the ref gets injured isn't the fourth official there to replace them?

Hardly a sham or pointless

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:09pm

The fourth official is the biggest sham in football. They are pointless. I agree, that would be the right scenario to have, but I don't think they will ever have a video ref down on the touchline basically. They would end up taking dogs abuse non stop if they are within touching distance of the managers. Hence why they have the VAR in a truck somewhere in Siberia or somewhere  LOL
Sure stick him in Siberia then! He does bugger all in the stands! It is the same thing, once the two can communicate.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:11pm

no way would that work!! would cause far more issues such as video ref having a bet on a red card to happen etc.
What's stopping the main referee having a bet on same?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

So just have a spare official in attendance, put the fourth official in an ivory tower and the job is a good 'un.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:17pm
The fourth official is pretty important for said reason

Its actually a very common thing in England for a 4th official or linesman to pull a muscle or fall ill or whatever and then they go searching in for the stands for an FA qualified ref to take his place, its happened this month in the Championship its that common

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:17pm

So just have a spare official in attendance, put the fourth official in an ivory tower and the job is a good 'un.

Yeah true. I think there's more to it than that. They have to check substitutes coming on in case one of them forgets he's packin when entering the field of play 

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:18pm

True, very rarely happens though. That was originally why they were there wasn't it, without all the other bits added to their remit. Now their main role seems to be to smile at high profile managers as they take abuse after abuse on the touchline from managers.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:22pm

same reason a player not two footing and getting a red...your argument is weak. the fact that players and referees have to make split second decisions. a video ref watching replays on a monitor has much more time on his hands to overhaul the original decision

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:27pm

same reason a player not two footing and getting a red...your argument is weak. the fact that players and referees have to make split second decisions. a video ref watching replays on a monitor has much more time on his hands to overhaul the original decision
And his decision will be scrutinised far more. If we are basing the whole thing on the argument that you might get the odd dodgy official then there really isn't much debate.

Regarding the fourth official,  I merely suggested him as he has a monitor and, when the ball is in play at least, is merely watching the game. It doesn't matter if it is a fourth official or he is called the ultimate umpire, all you need is a way for him to communicate to the referee and rectify blatant errors. At the moment VAR is being terribly managed  and affecting the spectacle.

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 8:51pm
Just flicked onto Rennes v PSG there at HT in the Liverpool game. VAR decision was very quick and correct. Goal disallowed for Rennes. Ref had a look on an tablet at the side of the pitch.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 9:45pm
It was used tonight in the Coppa Italia match between Juve and Atalanta to give a peno for handball. Buffon saved it.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

It was used tonight in the Coppa Italia match between Juve and Atalanta to give a peno for handball. Buffon saved it.

Just seen it. There's no way you can give a penalty for that. I think there are huge issues around handball decisions in football. I actually think its the worst area in terms of refereeing decisions in football. They definitely just make it up as they go along.

-------------

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 8:17am

But the problem with so many of these decisions  is interpretation. For example, I don't think that the penalty decision was correct in the Liverpool game and it seems opinions are divided, even just on here.

Interpretation doesn't come into it. The letter of the law does. When there's a handball, there's a decision to make and it gets made. Shirt pulling in the box is now a foul, and diving is clamped down on, not seen as "part of the game" anymore.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:02am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Interpretation doesn't come into it. The letter of the law does. When there's a handball, there's a decision to make and it gets made. Shirt pulling in the box is now a foul, and diving is clamped down on, not seen as "part of the game" anymore.

seriously?? you've had some clanger comments, this one being another. letter of the law is stated yes, but each persons interpretation of the laws is different and that's what refereeing decisions comes down to.
for instance, west brom peno vs arsenal in the last couple of mins around new years. given as handball against calum chambers, which 99/100 just isn't given.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:36am
And that was with no VAR. The law doesn't do interpretation. It says handball is handball and must be punished.

The referee, any referee, is there to apply the laws of the game as they stand. He considered the handball as described above as deliberate, and took the relevant action.

Even if you think it's not deliberate, you give the ref a decision to make if you handle the ball. And it would be very difficult for a VAR in that case to overrule him, as it's not a "clear and obvious" error. We've seen penalties for it before and we'll see them again.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:50am

And that was with no VAR. The law doesn't do interpretation. It says handball is handball and must be punished.

The referee, any referee, is there to apply the laws of the game as they stand. He considered the handball as described above as deliberate, and took the relevant action. .
You are contradicting yourself.

The Law (12) does NOT say that handball is handball, it must be DELIBERATE to warrant action being taken by the referee.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:51am

Handling the ball

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the

ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:

the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence

touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.)

is an offence

hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) is an offence

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 11:25am
My understanding is that the Var official is always in contact with the ref in relation to the issues under the VAR officials remit.
However if there is an event which they are unsure of they both look at it again and try to reach the correct decision.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 1:14pm
Of f**king course it involves interpretation. The ref has to interpret, from the circumstances, whether a handball was deliberate or not. He has to infer intention from the circumstances. He can't read the player's mind, so he has to look at the surrounding circumstantial evidence and see if intention can be interpreted from that. The law does interpretation all the time, you f**king clown.

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Of f**king course it involves interpretation. The ref has to interpret, from the circumstances, whether a handball was deliberate or not. He has to infer intention from the circumstances. He can't read the player's mind, so he has to look at the surrounding circumstantial evidence and see if intention can be interpreted from that. The law does interpretation all the time, you f**king clown.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 1:43pm

SD

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:35pm

The ref has to interpret, from the circumstances, whether a handball was deliberate or not. He has to infer intention from the circumstances. He can't read the player's mind, so he has to look at the surrounding circumstantial evidence and see if intention can be interpreted from that.

No, the clowns are those trying to argue what someone handling the ball is. VAR is on the way, and like all cheating, more handballs are going to be deemed as deliberate, and punished accordingly. So they can give penalties for them, and they will.

Defenders had ways and means of conning the ref into thinking a handball was accidental, and not punish them, e.g. turning their backs for crosses, keeping their hands by their sides, for an "accidental" handball, and getting away with it. Forwards also had ways of engineering penalties by "contact", it was so rife it was described as "part of the game". That's all going to end from next season, every EPL game will have VAR, and there'll be no hiding places for cheats and conmen. And the sport will be far better for it.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:37pm
Someone needs to I.Q test this f**king dumbo LOL

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:39pm
Well see who's laughing loudest next season.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:42pm

Well see who's laughing loudest next season.

That doesn't even make any sense you thick f**k

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:50pm
Next year can be both Uniteds and Liverpool’s year ladies

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:53pm

The ref has to interpret, from the circumstances, whether a handball was deliberate or not. He has to infer intention from the circumstances. He can't read the player's mind, so he has to look at the surrounding circumstantial evidence and see if intention can be interpreted from that.

No, the clowns are those trying to argue what someone handling the ball is. VAR is on the way, and like all cheating, more handballs are going to be deemed as deliberate, and punished accordingly. So they can give penalties for them, and they will.

Defenders had ways and means of conning the ref into thinking a handball was accidental, and not punish them, e.g. turning their backs for crosses, keeping their hands by their sides, for an "accidental" handball, and getting away with it. Forwards also had ways of engineering penalties by "contact", it was so rife it was described as "part of the game". That's all going to end from next season, every EPL game will have VAR, and there'll be no hiding places for cheats and conmen. And the sport will be far better for it.

Good Christ you are one thick f**k

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 11:51pm

That doesn't even make any sense

I see the laughing has stopped already.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:21pm

As a defender, you have no other choice to do this to avoid giving away a free or a penalty. "Conning the ref" LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 10:22pm
https://twitter.com/FOXSportsnl/status/959177404802576384%20" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/FOXSportsnl/status/959177404802576384

How do you feel about this VAR decision?

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 10:55pm

As a defender, you have no other choice to do this to avoid giving away a free or a penalty. "Conning the ref" LOL

The logical thing here is to chop of the arms of outfield players. Throws will ceases to exist and instead will be taken on the ground.

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 8:13pm
Anyone watching fiorentina and juve?

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Anyone watching fiorentina and juve?

Was in work, but was following it on twitter, and I saw the incident. Apparently it was given as offside, but if anything it looks as though Alex Sandro was fouled

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 12:31am
I'm massively against this. 

Another step in the corporate sanitisation of football and it will end up massively disrupting every game it's used in.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 3:57pm
So Napoli score, Hamsik is booked for over celebrating, VAR then is used to disallow the goal but the booking still stands!!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 4:03pm

So Napoli score, Hamsik is booked for over celebrating, VAR then is used to disallow the goal but the booking still stands!!

LOLLOL

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 4:04pm

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 4:12pm
On the plus side, it's his first booking of the season, and you have to have five before you get a suspension. That's unlikely for him with only 13 games left this season.

Plus, they won.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 4:29pm
Do they use VAR in the Bundesliga?

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

I'm massively against this. 

Another step in the corporate sanitisation of football and it will end up massively disrupting every game it's used in.

Good. Anything that helps to reach the right decision from an incident, is fine by me.

If we had it that night in Paris, we could still have qualified for the World Cup. How long was the game disrupted because the wrong decision was made? Several minutes at least iirc. At least when it happens again, we can take all that time up getting the correct decision. Better late than never.

As regards the Napoli incident, yellow cards are never rescinded. I haven't seen it but I assume it was the "celebration" that has been an automatic yellow card offence since 2003. Every player knows what will happen if they do it. The fact the goal was ruled out is no defence for him. He knows what the rules are.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 11:37pm
And if the linesman had to do his job correctly he would never have been celebrating a goal to begin with.

I'm not sure what celebration has been an automatic offence since 2003 but I doubt it was performing a sliding tackle on the corner flag which is what Hamsik done!

What if it had to have been a second yellow?

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 2:10pm
Why are they making such a bollix of this? I am in favour of it but they really are doing everythigng arseways. Firstly it needs to be played on the big screen in the stadiums.  Why are they not informing the crowd whats going on?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 4:29pm
A lot of stadiums don't have big screens, especially those that are soccer only. They'll have to change that before they start using VAR everywhere.

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 12:46pm
They are going to have to spend serious money to Implement VAR.
It needs 3D technology and be 99% accurate.

At the Spurs v Swansea match they had the crappy lines again. It still wasn’t clear if Son was offside.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:32pm
Apparantly, it was the correct call. Job done.

Spurs scored an offside goal at Swansea in the league. With no VAR around, nothing could be done. Today it was, so only 100% valid goals could stand.

This works. People like to knock it, but every decision it's had to make has been correct. That's what it's there for, and that is why the WC will be won by fair play and not refereeing errors.

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 8:35pm
VAR is sh*te, just interrupts the natural flow of a game. If you want tmo’s and video replays and gutless non decision making then watch f**kin rugby. The only working review system that takes hardly any time is Hawkeye in the gaa, but waiting about for a call doesn’t suit football. Without controversial calls it wouldn’t be the same anyway. Having said all that, if they restrict this nonsense to the epl fake football and the pretend patriotism of international football, which died after the 88 euros, then fair enough.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 1:01am
June 18 1988

Holland 1-0 Ireland
Cheat
(81)

Ireland out of the Euros.

November 18, 2009

France 1-1 Ireland
Cheat
(103)

Ireland out of the WC.

2018: No more cheating allowed.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:16pm
The Premier league clubs have voted not to use VAR next season in the league.
It will still be used for the league and FA cup.

I think that's the right decision. It needs more investment and proper testing before rolling it out.

It will be interesting to see how it goes at the world cup. You'd hope FIFA are using the best technology available.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:35pm
I don't think there's anything wrong with the technology being used, more so the process and the individuals left to run it.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 7:25pm
The clubs should have no vote imo on it. This is a tool for referees, so that the right decision is given. So it should be their call as to whether it is used or not. 

FIFA say VAR has a 98.9% rate for getting the right decision, and therefore it is now approved by the IFAB. So it works, and the other major leagues are prepared to go with it for next season. The EPL have decided that they want a safe haven for cheats, divers, and refereeing errors to thrive, when they finally got the chance to stamp it out for good.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 8:06pm

The clubs should have no vote imo on it. This is a tool for referees, so that the right decision is given. So it should be their call as to whether it is used or not. 

FIFA say VAR has a 98.9% rate for getting the right decision, and therefore it is now approved by the IFAB. So it works, and the other major leagues are prepared to go with it for next season. The EPL have decided that they want a safe haven for cheats, divers, and refereeing errors to thrive, when they finally got the chance to stamp it out for good.

What? Of course they should have a say, they're the ones involved in the matches, the ones providing the entertainment, the ones who it effects the most. An utterly bizarre and ludicrous thing to say. 

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 8:29pm
The referees are the people who have the power to allow or disallow major incidents. Some of them turn games, decide cup finals, get teams promoted or relegated, and contribute to resignations and sackings. So they have to get decisions right, and the authorities have the responsibility to give them every opportunity to get them right. 

Instead, diving will still win penalties and get players sent off, handballs will go unpunished, teams will get goals they shouldn't and vice versa, and referees will still be held responsible for why teams don't get the results they want. So it should be up to referees when VAR is implemented. 

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:38pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with the technology being used, more so the process and the individuals left to run it.

What I’ve seen on TV looks crap.

If you watch the 100m final they can tell you exactly who crossed the line 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc and it’s all very clear in 3D.
What I’ve seen on TV with the football is funny lines across a pitch that are unclear and from one angle only.
I’ve seen offside decisions being made and people are still unclear afterwards.

With the rugby you can see the replay from different angles.

Maybe all this is available but they don’t show it on TV.

-------------

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:35am

Thought this particular post would be worth a bump after hearing about this farce in Germany last night: LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43791511" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43791511

As you say, nothing wrong with the technology being used - the problem atm is how it's being used.  The world cup could be some craic at this rate. LOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:26am
I know the use of the system is newish to football, but it's amazing to see these farcical scenarios. Or the scenario where it can take 5 minutes to come to the correct decision. Surely the VAR themselves can just award a penalty, offside, red card etc. when it's blatantly obvious what the call should be? This must be a purely ego issue with refs on the pitch wanting 100 percent control. Also this little monitor the refs take forever to watch on the side of the pitch, surely if there's bigger screens just use them. The referees badly need help, good knows the standard of of officiating is terrible in general, so the quicker they get this sorted the better. Not really sure how they are making this process so difficult for themselves!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:32am
The decision to disallow West Ham's goal last night was superb officiating by the Linesman.

I'd imagine others would have let it stand.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:38am
Why are the referees even going over to view a small screen on the side of the pitch in some scenarios (but not all)
The video ref should be viewing it on his screen, making the call and communicating the decision through an earpiece to the referee on the pitch, like they do in the rugby.

It all seems very inconsistent and made up as it goes along, so far.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

The decision to disallow West Ham's goal last night was superb officiating by the Linesman.

it was a good call, clearly the correct call. The frightening thing is how many refs and assistants would have let that goal stand.

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:51am

Which one!?!

Even as somebody with WHU sympathies, all three goals were rightly chalked off.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Which one!?!

Arnautovic coming back from offside and letting the ball go through his legs.
He actually tried to flick it.
He was blocking the keepers view who would have saved the shot as it wasn't that hard but was put off by Arnautovic's attempted deflection.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Why are the referees even going over to view a small screen on the side of the pitch in some scenarios (but not all)
The video ref should be viewing it on his screen, making the call and communicating the decision through an earpiece to the referee on the pitch, like they do in the rugby.

It all seems very inconsistent and made up as it goes along, so far.

This must be an ego thing. The biggest problem with the length of time it's taking to make decisions is that you're going to have a situation in a massive match yet where a penalty call is turned down at one end, the ball is stuck in the net at the other end in the same phase of play, and before ko the ref rules out the goal and goes back for a penalty. The quickness of decision making is absolutely vital for this to work. Its comically bad at the moment. The last thing I want to see in football is the situation in rugby where people stand around watching a ref regularly take minutes on end to make a call, and everyone hams it up and pretends as if this is a great situation and something to get excited about. It will be the death of football if it goes that way regularly.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:57am

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Which one!?!

He was blocking the keepers view who would have saved the shot as it wasn't that hard but was put off by Arnautovic's attempted deflection.
Even without the attempted flick, the fact that the ball goes right under him and he's only a few yards in front of the keeper and dead centre, it's a definite offside. They need to tidy up the offside rule though, it's a mess imo, and the fact that that goal would be given my many refs shows that.

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 11:00am

I actually think that was the best decision of the lot, as there is a degree of interpretation which is created with the "interfering with play" concept, and goals like that have been given.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 7:51am

The biggest problem with the length of time it's taking to make decisions is that you're going to have a situation in a massive match yet where a penalty call is turned down at one end, the ball is stuck in the net at the other end in the same phase of play, and before ko the ref rules out the goal and goes back for a penalty. The quickness of decision making is absolutely vital for this to work. Its comically bad at the moment.

If a penalty should be given, it will be given, thus rendering the rest of the move useless. 

This is the future of officiating, where the right decision is always made, not sometimes made, as is currently the case. Even on the 50-50 calls, a valid case can usually be made for why the VAR came to it's final decision. 

There will be a time at this WC when a VAR will be needed to send a team through and knock a team out. So if it takes 5 minutes to reach the correct decision, so be it.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed that diving has been effectively wiped out when watching VAR games. And that can only benefit football.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:13am

The biggest problem with the length of time it's taking to make decisions is that you're going to have a situation in a massive match yet where a penalty call is turned down at one end, the ball is stuck in the net at the other end in the same phase of play, and before ko the ref rules out the goal and goes back for a penalty. The quickness of decision making is absolutely vital for this to work. Its comically bad at the moment.

If a penalty should be given, it will be given, thus rendering the rest of the move useless. 

This is the future of officiating, where the right decision is always made, not sometimes made, as is currently the case. Even on the 50-50 calls, a valid case can usually be made for why the VAR came to it's final decision. 

There will be a time at this WC when a VAR will be needed to send a team through and knock a team out. So if it takes 5 minutes to reach the correct decision, so be it.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed that diving has been effectively wiped out when watching VAR games. And that can only benefit football.

For once I kind of agree with Planning LOL

I do also agree that they should perhaps pick up some issues quicker, if someone is watching on telly it should be a simple case of they say it straight away to the ref.

IFIRC there was an incident similar to the above situation in Confed Cup were a penalty or a free was given about 2 minutes later after the other team had counter attacked and nearly scored (Russia v Mexico???).

I think VAR needs time too, i'd imagine when they first brought in the Video Assistant in rugby it was chaotic.

As planning said there will be a case during this world cup were a team will either go through or be knocked out due to VAR decision (here's hoping its England)

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:05am
i think that each team should get one VAR referral a match, and it is their choice as to when to use it. if they get it right, then they keep their referral, otherwise that's that for the rest of the match. it'll cut out a lot of the issues that have gone on before.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:09am

i think that each team should get one VAR referral a match, and it is their choice as to when to use it. if they get it right, then they keep their referral, otherwise that's that for the rest of the match. it'll cut out a lot of the issues that have gone on before.

I think maybe more then 1 would have to be used perhaps 3 like in say Tennis.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

well, if you get the referral correct, then you keep your original one to use again. 3 per team, if all used, could potentially add an extra 30 mins to a game (exaggerating it saying 5 min per referral, but it's happened regularly)!

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:11am

well, if you get the referral correct, then you keep your original one to use again. 3 per team, if all used, could potentially add an extra 30 mins to a game (exaggerating it saying 5 min per referral, but it's happened regularly)!

Not convinced that if you gave managers or team captain say, that ability, that it wouldn't be used cynically to say, disrupt a game if a team is mounting a comeback in injury time etc.

The current process is awful. Technology is obviously there but its implementation so far smacks of wanting it to fail.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:58pm

Not disputing any of that. Of course if a penalty should be given, it will be given and make what happens after that penalty decision redu ndant. The problem is time. It shouldn't take 2 mins to give an absolutely blatant penalty. I've seen it take a good few minutes in the Bundesliga this season to make a VAR decision on the monitor on the side of the pitch, that the VAR himself could easily have made. I'm not disagreeing with you in general, I'm massively in favour of VAR. How they implement it is key though. Also totally agree that it will make diving way less prevalent, which is a massive plus.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:58pm

IFIRC there was an incident similar to the above situation in Confed Cup were a penalty or a free was given about 2 minutes later after the other team had counter attacked and nearly scored (Russia v Mexico???).

I think VAR needs time too, i'd imagine when they first brought in the Video Assistant in rugby it was chaotic.

As planning said there will be a case during this world cup were a team will either go through or be knocked out due to VAR decision (here's hoping its England)

The ref stopped the game about 30 seconds after he initially turned down the Russians penalty appeal. The opposition had barely crossed the halfway line. VAR said it was not a penalty, so the game restarted with a drop ball.

The referral idea sounds great. Unfortunately it won't be used in the spirit intended, but used as a dark arts tactic, often near the end of games. By waiting all that time to use it, it will mean earlier decisions will be wrong, which defeats the purpose of VAR. 

This is for the benefit of officials, to ensure that the laws of the game are correctly applied, and that there is fair play. Players and teams try to influence and intimidate referees enough as it is, without using VAR to do it as well.

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 1:18pm

I thought it should be like the red flag in NFL. Say a manager has 3 a match. If he challenges and it is wrong then he loses a sub, if it's right he just uses up one challenge? Makes it more likely that the manager goes with the refs decision if he is unsure too?

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 1:26pm

At the end of the day football is entertainment for the fans.
The decisions need to be made within 2 mins imo.
Anything around 5 mins is way to long.

Hopefully diving is wiped out but it’s still happening with VAR.
I’d have no problem with a red card for a deliberate dive.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 7:30am
As I keep saying when deadlines are proposed for decisions, what's the rush? VAR or no VAR, the game is still going to take the best part of 2 hours anyway. If it's too long for some people, I'm sure there are plenty of other sports to watch. 

We still talk about Paris 09, Brussels 81, Sofia 77, to mention three of many injustices we've endured down the years. That's just our team, let alone the rest. VAR Is designed to put a stop to all that. Better to wait a bit of time to get the right decision, than be still talking about the (consequences of the) wrong one decades later.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:56am

As I keep saying when deadlines are proposed for decisions, what's the rush? VAR or no VAR, the game is still going to take the best part of 2 hours anyway. If it's too long for some people, I'm sure there are plenty of other sports to watch. 

We still talk about Paris 09, Brussels 81, Sofia 77, to mention three of many injustices we've endured down the years. That's just our team, let alone the rest. VAR Is designed to put a stop to all that. Better to wait a bit of time to get the right decision, than be still talking about the (consequences of the) wrong one decades later.

Agreed, it doesn't take that long for people watching on tv to find out if it was the correct decision or not so the same should apply to the officials.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:00am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Not convinced that if you gave managers or team captain say, that ability, that it wouldn't be used cynically to say, disrupt a game if a team is mounting a comeback in injury time etc.

The current process is awful. Technology is obviously there but its implementation so far smacks of wanting it to fail.

you can say that, but that's a waste of a referral in order to relieve pressure for a couple of minutes. considering the fact that VAR will only be used around goal scoring opportunities/incidents, then I can't see how it can be used cynically, especially if a team is in a backs-against-the-wall situation and protecting a lead or holding on for a draw

also, if you have 3 referrals per team, then yes, it gives the potential to use tactically. but one referral per team removes that aspect

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:03am
I wouldn't have a referral system at all.
Have it like rugby's VAR, not tennis.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I wouldn't have a referral system at all.
Have it like rugby's VAR, not tennis.

Well in rugby the captain of the team can ask the ref to have an incident looked into don't think there is any limit though. Of course respect for the ref in rugby is much better then football

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 3:54pm
The referral system wouldn't work. It is much better in the ref's hands, and for limited calls. Things like goals, penalties and red cards. Beyond that, it's too much hassle.

The challenge flag works in NFL because of the stop start nature of the game. The system works in tennis because the outcome is simple: it's either in or out and the point is decided clearly (most of the time). But a referral system isn't used in rugby, because the game doesn't stop so frequently. In soccer, it probably stops less frequently, or certainly has the potential to last for some time before a natural break in play. A referral system is tough to implement without it having the potential to be used tactically.

Let the ref make the referral if he sees fit. Let the VAR have a direct line to the ref's earpiece to alert him if he needs to go to it. But don't let the managers or captain have that right. Then, it easily becomes less about making sure the right decision is made (which is what VAR should be for) than about how to game the system.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

At the WC, decisions are taking nearer to 2 minutes than 5. Some of them are resolved in less than a minute, from the review called to the decision given, including the ref going to watch it. Fans and broadcasters in the stadiums know what's happening. While diving is practically non existent. 

All the earlier criticisms have been addressed, but we can't have it in the EPL or EC next season though. It takes longer to take goalkicks ffs. Angry

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Posted By: eboue16
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:27am

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

At the WC, decisions are taking nearer to 2 minutes than 5. Some of them are resolved in less than a minute, from the review called to the decision given, including the ref going to watch it. Fans and broadcasters in the stadiums know what's happening. While diving is practically non existent. 

All the earlier criticisms have been addressed, but we can't have it in the EPL or EC next season though. It takes longer to take goalkicks ffs. Angry

Where it is though there seems to be a serious reluctance to book anyone. Victor Moses got away with about 4 and hes just one of many examples.

The standard of reffing has been on a whole quite high and easy to see why no premiership ref got the gig. Imagine Mike Dean on the world stage with VAR. He'd be in his element

-------------
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:30am
On the whole it has been a success.  It's not perfect but very few things in life are but it's a massive improvement and it has helped the refs and the teams massively.  Good decision to bring it in .

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net