You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VAR sytem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 72>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The EPL did want it, and used it at the first opportunity in the domestic cups. After last year's Charlie Austin public appeal for refs to be helped, VAR was approved by the league 5 days later, to start operating in the league from this season. Not only that, but English refs need it in order to referee outside England. 

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

yes but the majority of all these sports that have this type of system are stop/start by nature anyway. football is not and all these delays are ruining games. if it continues you will probably see fans at games become more and more vocal on it. already you can hear their anger at games.

I hear them howling at the moon, but it's not going to make any difference. VAR is part of the game now, at home and abroad. So we have to look at how to improve it. There is no alternative. 

Football is full of delays. Delays for set pieces, goal kicks, throw ins, subs, injuries, time wasting etc. Three minutes are lost over subs alone. It all adds up to approx 20 minutes "lost" per game, before the VAR factor. A few seconds more to get a major decision correct shouldn't hurt anyone. 

The EPL has no jurisdiction over the domestic cups and refused to introduce it at the start of last season when it was introduced in Spain and the season before when Germany and Italy started it.

It's had its issues elsewhere but it's been spectacularly bad in the EPL. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 12:32pm
It's been badly needed for years and would be a great addition IF they were using it correctly. They're making a complete balls of it so far
Some people just deserve a slap
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The EPL did want it, and used it at the first opportunity in the domestic cups. After last year's Charlie Austin public appeal for refs to be helped, VAR was approved by the league 5 days later, to start operating in the league from this season. Not only that, but English refs need it in order to referee outside England. 

yes but the majority of all these sports that have this type of system are stop/start by nature anyway. football is not and all these delays are ruining games. if it continues you will probably see fans at games become more and more vocal on it. already you can hear their anger at games.

I hear them howling at the moon, but it's not going to make any difference. VAR is part of the game now, at home and abroad. So we have to look at how to improve it. There is no alternative. 

Football is full of delays. Delays for set pieces, goal kicks, throw ins, subs, injuries, time wasting etc. Three minutes are lost over subs alone. It all adds up to approx 20 minutes "lost" per game, before the VAR factor. A few seconds more to get a major decision correct shouldn't hurt anyone. 

Absolute nonsense your comments on football being full of delays. These are the smallest of stoppages. Not the regular 2-3 minute delays for VAR checks. Sometimes the delays with VAR are shambolically even longer. These stoppages are the ruination of football.

You keep going on about Thierry Henry in defense of VAR. VAR is so badly implemented, it's so badly refereed by people of an abysmal standard, that they could well have found a way to let that handball go at the time (when you could "accidentally handle the ball" in the process of scoring). That's how far gone this system is now.

The technology isn't there. The people of a required quality aren't there to implement it. The laws of the game are still in need of a tidy up for any such system to work correctly. It would be in footballs interest to fix all the other issues first before drowning the game with this toxic VAR setup.

Btw, you consistently speak as if the English are the only ones with a problem with VAR. More nonsense from you. It has been a blight in every league and competition it has been in.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 7:04pm
Another thing I cant understand is the camera technology they use for offsides which cant tell much as the frame rate is too low. What about using high speed cameras that give those ultra slow mo replays? Think they are 10,000fps or faster.   They use standard TV cameras currently.  In athetics and horse racing they have those photo finish type cameras as well that can split hairs. The technology is there but they won't use it.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 7:13pm
another f**k up is that not all grounds have a big screen to keep fans informed of what’s going on

Old Trafford doesn’t even have one

Here’s an idea, at the end of last season the EPL should have made it compulsory for all clubs to have a big screen, if they didn’t have one they must install one. 

Consistency across the board would go a long way to running this thing right 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 04 Nov 2019 at 7:14pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Absolute nonsense your comments on football being full of delays. These are the smallest of stoppages. Not the regular 2-3 minute delays for VAR checks. Sometimes the delays with VAR are shambolically even longer. These stoppages are the ruination of football.

You keep going on about Thierry Henry in defense of VAR. VAR is so badly implemented, it's so badly refereed by people of an abysmal standard, that they could well have found a way to let that handball go at the time (when you could "accidentally handle the ball" in the process of scoring). That's how far gone this system is now.

Btw, you consistently speak as if the English are the only ones with a problem with VAR. More nonsense from you. It has been a blight in every league and competition it has been in.

Time has never been a priority with VAR. The focus has always been on getting the correct decision. If it takes 30 seconds great, if it takes 3 minutes so be it. I feel sorry for those at games who are not allowed to see any VAR decisions until after the fact, but they go to games fully aware that VAR is in operation and is likely to be needed at some point. It is no longer an experiment, it is permanent. 

I always go on about Henry, because it's necessary to remind people just how low players will go to cheat in this sport, and how much they need to be stopped. There were 5 offences in that move, any one of them were grounds for ruling it out and keeping us in the WC. Nothing happened and out we went. 

It's not just the EPL that has VAR, it's now used in 35 countries, and most major international tournaments. Such was the demand for it, clubs rushed through it's implementation for last year's European Cup knockout rounds. This year it's used from the playoff round. Unlike all the rest of them, the English decided to invent their own version, where some rules would be applied, the rest ignored, and refs are told not to go to the monitor. That doesn't happen anywhere else. 
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 10:48pm
With your continued pedalling of the Henry incident, you are implying that VAR will make sure that big decisions aren't wrong anymore and teams will get fair results. This has been proven incorrect time and time again with VAR in place. Nobody can dispute that, it's a constant that big decisions are gotten wrong with this system in place.

I wonder how Son feels facing a 3 match ban for an incident that was clearly a yellow card. A red card given that cost Spurs the win on the day. VAR in place. Clearly an incorrect decision. How do you square that away and the countless other terrible calls under this system?

Edited by Hans Moleman - 04 Nov 2019 at 10:49pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 10:28am

I wonder how Son feels facing a 3 match ban for an incident that was clearly a yellow card. A red card given that cost Spurs the win on the day. VAR in place. Clearly an incorrect decision. How do you square that away and the countless other terrible calls under this system?

Did you see the FA's statement about that incident? They claimed that "the red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge."

It almost seems like they are using the on-going shambles that is VAR to try and make stuff up as they go along. Apparently now the outcome of a foul dictates the appropriate disciplinary response. Of course nowhere is that actually written in the laws of the game but it's been made a de facto rule now by the FA seemingly.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 10:47am
If I was having a bet on the outcome, I'd say the FA will still ban Son. Not because they really think the challenge was worthy of a red card and a ban, but because they'll back the refs. Everything now is about self preservation. 

The fact that they are following rugbys poisonous nonsense about the outcome of a challenge (landing on neck or back after being fouled for a high ball receive different sanctions) determining the penalty, and not just basing a decision on the perceived intent and force of said challenge is ludicrous. As you say it's nowhere in the laws of the game, and it's a very dodgy path to go down.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 05 Nov 2019 at 10:47am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 6:09pm
They overturned it. Would have been a complete shambles going forward if they hadn't but I wasn't confident at all that they'd do the right thing.

What a complete slap down for Martin Atkinson and the refereeing team on the day. How can you have VAR and get such huge calls that horribly wrong?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 6:11pm

With your continued pedalling of the Henry incident, you are implying that VAR will make sure that big decisions aren't wrong anymore and teams will get fair results. This has been proven incorrect time and time again with VAR in place. Nobody can dispute that, it's a constant that big decisions are gotten wrong with this system in place.

Bump for Planning. 

These massive calls are consistently gotten wrong with VAR in place. Isn't this exactly what you keep saying will be gone from the game with VAR?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 4:23pm
An absolutely outrageous decision against Sheffield United there. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Who the fook are these people in the video room? 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 4:27pm

Lads this is fcking destroying the game. Get it to fcuk away. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 4:28pm

Lads this is fcking destroying the game. Get it to fcuk away. 
Greed has destroyed the game, this is just an amusing result of that greed.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 4:33pm
Would like to see VAR being used only as a last resort or for handballs in the box/last man (red card decisions) and just leave the offside's or whatever to the lino's.

Its getting absolutely laughable at this stage.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 4:39pm
It should always have been a referee watching it who pulled up the worst errors via a microphone. The whole farcical nature seems to have been devised with sponsorship and advertising in mind, surprisingly, and not the good of the game. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 8:11pm
VAR a mess! Getting too many decisions wrong, how Leicester weren’t awarded a penalty was baffling.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 72>
  Share Topic